Pokémon Design Misconceptions

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
first time i figured it out, i was like, "Wait, is that its face!?"
That's the best part: I don't know what you are talking about. To me, it has two faces, exactly because it can move its eyes so easily. Both sides work perfectly as faces; one has a nose and looks like a pointy head, while the other has some drawn pattern that alludes to a dot nose and a, huh, weird, large mouth of sorts.

When I was a kid, I just didn't get what the hell was Mawile supossed to be. Was she a giant mouth with sad eyes?. The small GBA screen didn't help either.

Same problem with Cradily and Armaldo eyes :V, I still think that Armaldo would look cooler if the red mark were his eyes. Another one with fake eyes that got me was Gastrodon, it wasn't until BW that I noticed that it doesn't close it's "eyes" while sleeping, so they're just yellow marks.

When Meloetta was first released, I don't know why but I did not see her legs at all. At first I thought she was a Ghost-type, with a wispy ethereal lower body. Maybe even had Levitate as her ability. I think I would have liked her design more if the legs were removed altogether.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

I thought Ho-Oh's eye was actually its mouth and that its "eye" was under its head feathers.

please don't tell me I am alone

Also I am really not seeing any of the Nosepass things in this thread.

Grass type.

It's a tree ffs. And when gen 2 first came out, I was like 9 probably. I didn't catch the play on words for Pseudo-wood. Plus, it should at least be Grass/Rock imo.

Electric/Water type.

I remember against N or Ghetsis or whoever it was that had an Eelektross, I just kept trying to hit it with super effective moves. And it didn't happen. I was so pissed. I was like, what even is this thing?! It's an eel. It should be part water type. >:(

Here's one that I hope I'm not alone in.

Thought Groudon here was a Fire type for the longest time (I had Sapphire, and when I played Emerald, I assumed it was Fire).

Edit: Oh yes, this too.

Thought Glalie was an Ice/Dark type. Nope, pure Ice. It still doesn't make sense in my head; it looks like a Dark type to me.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Back then, I thought graveler's second pair of arms were just carvings on his body. The first images I saw of it was Sugimori's art and the trading card [jungle or fossil set, i can't remember], which didn't help because they were just stuck there, hugging his body. Moreso that his evolution, Golem has only 4 limbs.

THEN I finally got to play Pokemon Yellow[my first pokemon game], and I was like "whoa he's actually an uglier machamp!"

Also this:

I thought Diglett/Dugtrio's nose was a mouth with a single tooth. Then I thought they were sticking their tongues out. Took me ages to realize it was a nose.

oh man, dat ditto.....

I thought FOREVER that the R/B sprite looked like some sort of severed head off some kind of animal.

seriously, look at this thing:

I lol'd so hard. I wish I could see it your way. Thats pretty dark man!

=====

Did anyone else see the notes on Mellota's hair? Wow I just realized how many music symbols are on her!

Ok I can't say I've confused any of those.

If you like Crawdaunt skip the rest of my message

The only thing I was confused about are the two blue lines on Crawdaunt's neck. I was never sure if they were it's lips or not.

(Now I know better, the two lines are NOT lips and I'm sorry if I ruined Crawdaunt for anyone >_<)

Also this:

I thought Diglett/Dugtrio's nose was a mouth with a single tooth. Then I thought they were sticking their tongues out. Took me ages to realize it was a nose.
Ah someone already beat me to this. I had people bring this up a few days ago, I didn't realize they were hardcore trolling until I showed them his 3-D model and they persisted that it was a mouth and tooth.

On an unrelated note, did anyone else get confused about Claydol when it first came out?

I was pretty sure the yellow dots were eyes, but not sure what the pink circles were. I would have probably figured out its eyes were on top if they all had the dots (I guess the line drawn in there means one is blinking?).

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Here's one that I hope I'm not alone in.

Thought Groudon here was a Fire type for the longest time (I had Sapphire, and when I played Emerald, I assumed it was Fire).

Edit: Oh yes, this too.

Thought Glalie was an Ice/Dark type. Nope, pure Ice. It still doesn't make sense in my head; it looks like a Dark type to me.
Same on both of them, doesn't help that back in gen 3 I didin't even know that ice was weak to fighting so when Glalie was hit super-effectively with a fighting attack I was sure it was dark as well.

I only just figured out that team Magma is supposed to be associated with ground, because of the numel I always assumed the fire part to go with team aqua!

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Similarily to what Zabel Zarock said, I always thought Golduck was part Psychic type back in Red, seeing as it could learn lots of Psychic type moves.
Same thing. Psyduck isn't Psychic? What? I just don't get how these two aren't Psychic type. Also, I could never tell the difference between Voltorb and Electrode. Anyone else have this problem?

for the longest time, I couldn't see Timburr's face properly. it wasn't until the english release of bw that I realized how it really looked.
(I thought its face was pointing towards the top left, if you can even decipher what I'm trying to say here)

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
for the longest time, I couldn't see Timburr's face properly. it wasn't until the english release of bw that I realized how it really looked.
(I thought its face was pointing towards the top left, if you can even decipher what I'm trying to say here)
Lol yes, that's exactly how I saw it. It looked 274.7% less dumb once I saw its artwork and finally realized what was going on.

whoaaaa the anorith/armaldo thing is blowing my mind

off the top of my head the only major misconception i had was about nuzleaf. i had only ever seen it in emerald (and had never used it, so i never saw its back sprite) but i never knew it had a nose. someone posted concept art of it in the x/y thread a few weeks ago and i was like 'wait what since when does it have a nose'

looking at it now i don't quite get how i missed it, but i think i looked at the nose as an angry eyebrow? and that you couldn't see his other eyebrow because of the angle or because gamefreak just didn't care.

It's been mentioned before but the Craduly and Masquerain thing confused me as well. (Always thought they looked stupid with their fake eyes but now that I've seen their real eyes I appreciated their designs a lot more)

I always thought that Skitty's tail resembled a part of a flower and so i thought it was a Grass type at first (the yellow dots looked like pollen). Being Normal type certainly surprised me.

For a long time when I first played 3rd gen I thought Electrike's head seemed more like a crocodile with its elongated head. I couldn't really understand the weirdly shaped/proportioned head until I saw what it looked like from the top in the anime (maybe it was the angle of the sprite)

Again it would be the angle of the sprites but I didn't realise Wailord actually had a tail. I thought it was like a big balloon/zeppelin and that worked for me so seeing its tail and those white circles in later generations surprised me. It took a while for me to have my head wrap around the new shape since I really liked my first image of Wailord. (Even the Sugimori art didn't show it's tail clearly enough and the 3rd gen backsprite definitely doesn't reveal anything).

I liked this sprite design so it really shocked me when it's 4th gen sprite showed it's big mouth. It makes more sense now how it uses Crunch but I liked the insect-like shape of it its 3rd and 5th gen sprites more. The big mouth just makes it look more goofy in my opinion :(

I really thought the cloth thing under it's body was actually more like a sword/blade because of the its shape. Did not register to me that it was a folded cloth thing until I saw later art.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

I thought Ho-Oh's eye was actually its mouth and that its "eye" was under its head feathers.

please don't tell me I am alone

Also I am really not seeing any of the Nosepass things in this thread.
Apparently lots of people have had this, but OMG I CANNOT SEE IT. I can only see the proper Ho-Oh face. I don't understand where the confusion came from.

I've seen most of the others in this thread, and the first one Nosepass... I honestly thought it was the stupidest design ever until I realized it was its leg...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)