Pokémon Design Misconceptions

At first I didn't realize Sigilyph had eyes. I thought the blue circle things were just more patterns, as he was already so colorful. It all just sort of blended together, especially in sprite form

He's just a weird looking guy

At first I didn't realize Sigilyph had eyes. I thought the blue circle things were just more patterns, as he was already so colorful. It all just sort of blended together, especially in sprite form

He's just a weird looking guy
So wait...

Your saying...

..has eyes on its abdomen?

I always thought it had just that one eye on top.

Wait....

How many eyes does Sigilyph have then? Are those dots on it's body eyes, or that thing sticking out from the top?
The circle things on its abdomen close when it falls asleep in-game, so that's good.

The thing on its head...it watches deep into your soul for all eternity.

It was always easier to pretend that Bronzong didn't have a face. The first time i saw him, I tried anthropomorphising him so the top of his body would look more like a bear's head with a hollowed out face instead of coming to terms with his man-child head for a body. That was always kind of creepy.

Always seen Hariyamas body as a huuuge nose. It's impossible for me to unsee.

Took me a long time before I realized its head was actually just the top part of it's body...

Also, this isn't really a design misconception, but I always though Hariyama's cry sounded like it was saying "What do you want." Anyone else hear that?

Took me a long time before I realized its head was actually just the top part of it's body...

Also, this isn't really a design misconception, but I always though Hariyama's cry sounded like it was saying "What do you want." Anyone else hear that?
Oh god can't be unheard

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Guys I have a question [I think this is the right place to ask]: What real-life animal is eevee and its eeveelutions really?

I initially thought they were lions back then, since they have the -eon suffix which relates to lion in many languages.Also the first 3 eeveelutions have manes. However their size makes it unlikely. Some people think it's a dog, some think it's a type of cat, some a mix of both, and some also think they're foxes... help me, it's the biggest misconception I can think of that until now has not given me convincing answers.

Guys I have a question [I think this is the right place to ask]: What real-life animal is eevee and its eeveelutions really?

I initially thought they were lions back then, since they have the -eon suffix which relates to lion in many languages.Also the first 3 eeveelutions have manes. However their size makes it unlikely. Some people think it's a dog, some think it's a type of cat, some a mix of both, and some also think they're foxes... help me, it's the biggest misconception I can think of that until now has not given me convincing answers.
I think it's supposed to display traits of all three - foxes, canines and felines. That's my opinion anyway

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not really a design misconception per se, but it always irked me how some Pokémon (i.e. Escavalier) were said to be able to move at great speeds, although their Speed stat is kinda terrible. You hear about Pidgeot flying at Mach 2, yet it is outsped by stuff like Persian, Miltank and even Magmar. Then it dawned on me: the speed stat reflects reaction speed, not top speed.

It even explains Slow Start. Regigigas, having just woken up from its slumber, is still tired and confused during the first few turns of battle, and it takes some time to fully realize what's going on around it.

Not really a design misconception per se, but it always irked me how some Pokémon (i.e. Escavalier) were said to be able to move at great speeds, although their Speed stat is kinda terrible. You hear about Pidgeot flying at Mach 2, yet it is outsped by stuff like Persian, Miltank and even Magmar. Then it dawned on me: the speed stat reflects reaction speed, not top speed.

It even explains Slow Start. Regigigas, having just woken up from its slumber, is still tired and confused during the first few turns of battle, and it takes some time to fully realize what's going on around it.
Mind = Blown
So I'm guessing Deoxys-S has ninja-fast reaction speeds then? :D

OMG that part about Sigilyph....i had no idea...

Thats an interesting theory....or maybe Escavalier is really fast compared to humans.

Regigigas takes after me :P

This theory explains everything.

yeah, I've heard about this before, and I really like it. ever since it's been how I've thought of speed. the only thing is that theoretically then fast pokemon would be better at dodging attacks due to a better reaction time, but alas it isn't perfect

yeah, I've heard about this before, and I really like it. ever since it's been how I've thought of speed. the only thing is that theoretically then fast pokemon would be better at dodging attacks due to a better reaction time, but alas it isn't perfect
It actually happens in the anime but I'm glad it's not the case in the game : being unable to hit ninjask seems annoying as f***.

Very high movement speed tends to translate into accuracy or evasion in Pokémon, rather than speed or priority. (Look at the flavour on, say, Double Team or Aerial Ace.) Although sometimes it's used for priority too (Extremespeed).

For some strange reason, when I was younger I originally thought Wailmer's eyes were the little dots on the top, it was dificult to tell apart the differences between the four dots on RSE, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)