Pokémon Design Misconceptions

I always thought that Lileep's body was supposed to be a plant pot it was hiding in, with the eyes and pink petals/tentacles being the only parts of the actual creature we could see. This led me to a really cool assumption that Cradily was the result of the creature absorbing the plant pot; taking it over as a body for its own like some sort of parasite.

So y'all know how Exeggcute has that one broken egg?

It was only while spinning its model around in Pokemon Go did I realize that the cracked egg actually has a face.

Makes the weird-looking head on Alolan Exeggutor's tail make a bit more sense.

Way back in the days I thought the broken egg contained Exeggutor. I thought that it would come out upon evolution.

I still can't see how anyone can miss-see Ho-oh's face. even with the image guide a few pages ago, I just can't see it! Same goes for Armaldo and Anorith. ...okay, Armaldo is understandable if all you've seen is the RS sprite. but beyond that.

But on topic, I still fall for the Cradilly false eyes. What I, and pretty much everyone, first thought was Lugia was Water-type to counter Ho-Oh. I mean, it lives underwater... summons storms... rarely surfaces... WHY ISN'T IT WATER-TYPE?!

I still can't see how anyone can miss-see Ho-oh's face. even with the image guide a few pages ago, I just can't see it! Same goes for Armaldo and Anorith. ...okay, Armaldo is understandable if all you've seen is the RS sprite. but beyond that.

But on topic, I still fall for the Cradilly false eyes. What I, and pretty much everyone, first thought was Lugia was Water-type to counter Ho-Oh. I mean, it lives underwater... summons storms... rarely surfaces... WHY ISN'T IT WATER-TYPE?!
Wait... Cradily has false eyes????? wtf

I remember misconceptions I had with three Pokemon and their typings. Coincidentally, all three are Gen III Pokemon:

1) Let's start with Glalie. With those horns and that intimidating face, it surely had to be a Ice/Dark, right? Well, I use a Fighting attack with Hariyama and it's super-effective as I expected... then I realized Fighting was super-effective against Ice.
2) Flygon. Picture ~12-year-old me seeing it in the battle against Drake. Well, I didn't have Ice or Dragon attacks so I go with Thunderbolt, since it's neutral on all Dragon/Flying Pokemon. "It didn't affect enemy Flygon...". What. I lose, so when I try again (thank Mega Rayquaza for save states :P) I try with a Ground-type move as I had sent Swampert out... and I find out Flygon was Dragon/Ground with Levitate. How on Earth was I supposed to guess that!? Let alone the fact it's Trapinch's final evolution.
3) Rayquaza. I see the plates on its chest and I think "Dragon/Steel". Nope, Dragon/Flying... but I chuckled a bit when Dialga appeared with a Dragon/Steel typing.

In regards to design alone... I remember thinking Torkoal was far bigger than it actually was. Its RSE sprite was really misleading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)