Programming Pokémon Foundations (GenIV/V GTS, Battle Videos, more)

Pokémon Foundations is the one and only feature-complete replacement GTS and Battle Video server for Generations IV and V following the Nintendo Wi-fi Connection closure.

Connections are made through AltWFC. To connect, follow the instructions at their wiki. Please note that at this time, either an Action Replay or a flashcard is required to connect to the service. This is true of all Nintendo Wi-fi replacement servers because the DS checks that the servers it's connecting to are run by Nintendo.

The name "foundations" is because I originally planned to make a library of calculators, a Pokédex, possibly a battling engine and such things--basically a general-purpose class library for Pokémon. That portion of the project is on hold until I'm finished building the servers.

A couple months ago, I was saving Battle Videos from the official server and I managed to obtain a little over 9000 (no joke!) before it went down. Pokécheck had a ton more but I can't seem to get in contact with its creators. All of these videos can be watched ingame in the usual way.

What works:
  • GTS
  • Battle Videos
  • Dressup (PtHGSS)
  • Box uploads (PtHGSS)
  • Musical photos (BW1/2)
  • Direct communications are handled by AltWFC and outside the scope of this project. They work at the time of writing but haven't been tested that thoroughly.

What doesn't:
  • Wi-fi Battle Tower/Subway
  • Top Trainers (PtHGSS)
  • Wi-fi Plaza (PtHGSS)
  • Game Sync
  • Rating Battles / Competitions

What's planned:
  • A much more awesome website
  • Cheat detection
  • Stat checking in a similar vein to Pokécheck
  • Game Sync (I will need help with this!)

How you can help:
  • The project is open source. If there's something you want to see, the best thing is to discuss it with me and prepare a pull request.
  • The most significant way you can help is simply by using it. Its users are the GTS. Get on there and start trading!

GitHub: https://github.com/mm201/pkmnFoundations

Last edited:
with this it's possible to trade/battle between emulators??? it will be somethig like pokecheck, i mean to check the ivs or save our pokes in .pkm files??

Direct trading and battling is handled by AltWFC, not this project.
I will eventually provide an IV/legality checking service (sometime in the fall, maybe?), but probably not pkm extraction.

Pokémon Foundations is the one and only feature-complete replacement GTS and Battle Video server for Generations IV and V following the Nintendo Wi-fi Connection closure.

Connections are made through AltWFC. To connect, follow the instructions at their wiki. Please note that at this time, either an Action Replay or a flashcard is required to connect to the service. This is true of all Nintendo Wi-fi replacement servers because the DS checks that the servers it's connecting to are run by Nintendo.

The name "foundations" is because I originally planned to make a library of calculators, a Pokédex, possibly a battling engine and such things--basically a general-purpose class library for Pokémon. That portion of the project is on hold until I'm finished building the servers.

A couple months ago, I was saving Battle Videos from the official server and I managed to obtain a little over 9000 (no joke!) before it went down. Pokécheck had a ton more but I can't seem to get in contact with its creators. All of these videos can be watched ingame in the usual way.

What works:
  • GTS
  • Battle Videos
  • Dressup (PtHGSS)
  • Box uploads (PtHGSS)
  • Musical photos (BW1/2)
  • Direct communications are handled by AltWFC and outside the scope of this project. They work at the time of writing but haven't been tested that thoroughly.

What doesn't:
  • Top Trainers (PtHGSS)
  • Wi-fi Plaza (PtHGSS)
  • Game Sync
  • Rating Battles / Competitions

What's planned:
  • A much more awesome website
  • Cheat detection
  • Stat checking in a similar vein to Pokécheck
  • Game Sync (I will need help with this!)

How you can help:
  • The project is open source. If there's something you want to see, the best thing is to discuss it with me and prepare a pull request.
  • The most significant way you can help is simply by using it. Its users are the GTS. Get on there and start trading!

GitHub: https://github.com/mm201/pkmnFoundations

Hi MetalMario! I've read a lot of your posts and I believe your the last remaining who could help me. I've been trying to install AltWFC on my NDSi for a week now, but I have WPA2 wlan internet connection, can't change to WEP!
You once wrote to so. that you can connect to the AltWFC via WPA2 as well, while using a DS(i), action replay and Wifi usb connector. you also told him, that you had to change the internet DNS on the computer host for this.

So I bought the AR and the wifi usb connector from nintendo, installed the latter on my virtual xp mode running on windows 7 home premium and managed to connect the ds to the wireless point. However I've encountered the problem that I can't find an appropiate ROM file for Pokemon heartgold in german (I dunno, but does the language matter here??) - cause I have to drag and drop a .nds file onto my WfcReplay.v0.6 right? but every time I downloaded ROMs they were either 7Z files or sth different, but I've found no nds. file to drop onto the WfcReplay exe

(I also already changed the dns on both virtual pc xp and windows 7 internet connectivities to both available server dns but nothing happened when I was using a code I found somewhere in the www for heartgold ds)

I hope you get everything I wanted to ask you (since I'm german and my english isnt that good) and maybe youll have the time to help me . btw I only signed up to this forum because of you :D

kind regards!

Sadly, you can't. Action Replay forces the DSi into classic DS mode where WPA/WPA2 aren't supported.

What you can do if you have a spare router is set up an unencrypted/WEP (they are effectively the same) access point with MAC filtering and firewall outgoing connections to a short list of IP addresses. This should keep your neighbours off and you can still play on AltWFC.

so it doesn't even work with a nintendo wifi usb connector? cause it says on github polaris-/dwc_network_server_emulator site that there is a way with action replay?

anyway thanks loads for your advice, I will have to try that. I've heard that, just similar to wep, the MAC filtering isn't sure enough, do you know anything about it? Is there any other way like directly connecting my router to the ds via cable, by e.g. using some connecting device? otherwise I'd have to get a 2nd router in order to play online I guess

I got one as I wrote in my first post, maybe you didnt notice it. What could the reason be, that I still cant connect to the server. I can connect to the wifi usb connector from nintendo, and I typed in my generated code into the action replay but it still doesnt find the server - any idea what could have gone wrong?

btw: I'm using windows 7 home premium and xp mode on a virtual pc on it

I would also appreciate it if you could tell me so. to ask about this problem! maybe you know some member from this forum who had similar touble with connecting to the severs via wifi usb connector and using a ds and action replay

I know, it actually doesnT bother you but anyone would make me a huge favor if you could help me with this, cause I'd so much love to play pokemon 4gen again!!

kind regards

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)