Pokémon GO

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Is there a catchy strat name for "some asshole just sabotaged their team by putting their 100 cp 'precious babbu' into a gym full of 2000s"?
Yeah, it's called "Low level guy trying to actually earn some coins".

I have many annoyances with this game, but the extremely high entry treshold has to be on top. Why on Earth would the designers make a feature as basic as Pokémon battles dependant on metagame levels in the area? New players will have to become on par with the most active players in their area to even participate in a battle without losing in two seconds.

For the record, I find it incredibly annoying when people expect everybody to play on their level, and calling it "sabotage" when somebody at the beginner stage try to participate. Yes, it may be annoying, but blame the game designers rather than the people who try to play it.

the issue IS the designers here though, because these low level pokemon RUIN prestiging, Ninatic scale pokemon DOWN for low levels.. so why not scale them UP ffs.
and some random lamer does that just catches wild stuff takes all the gyms in one of the large and puts in random fresh caught junk in, removing anyone.. even their own team.

breh

強いだね
Yeah, it's called "Low level guy trying to actually earn some coins".
I mean you can see the level of people putting stuff in gyms; very seldom are they below 20.

I personally appreciate people putting baby mons in gyms because it's literally about a 1% chance (each!) I hatch any one of the couple I need from a 2k egg / 5k egg. It'll take forever before I get a full line of the babies in the dex and I'd rather have the silhouette than the empty number.

Is there a catchy strat name for "some asshole just sabotaged their team by putting their 100 cp 'precious babbu' into a gym full of 2000s"?
... in my campus, I'm actually guilty for this. I dislike people starting to throw walls which deny other new players.
To me, doing this is like sending an invitation to lower players to come to gym, so I regret nothing.

It should be noted that Pokémon GO does not have the same spirit as Ingress. In Ingress one's goal probably is to keep their portal strong, but one of core concept of Pokémon is about battling (aside of catching and raising mon), not keeping things in gym.

If anything, gym shaving is a much more serious threat. In outskirts my mon often get shaved.

I keep making bad decision. Now the event is over and I noticed right after I spent the incubators to clear more 2kms in hope of hatching it before it's over and restock eggs. Next time, I won't trust them when they forgot to turn the event off in time.

Bah....

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
IV, Moveset, Weight, Height are now dependent on trainer level akin to CP.

So in the wild, if a Dragonite appears and 2 players get it:

A level 18 player can find a 0% Dragonite with Steel Wing / Hyper Beam and a level 30 player can find it at 100% with Dragon Tail / Outrage.

Reports are saying level 30+ or level 25+ (idk which) have the same everything, but this effectively kills scanners unless the bots are level 30/25+ (I am bummed about this change bc I am pro scanners).

Also made 7 million exp during this event and got to level 39 (1.8 million out of 5 million needed for 40), so it was amazing overall.

A level 18 player can find a 0% Dragonite with Steel Wing / Hyper Beam and a level 30 player can find it at 100% with Dragon Tail / Outrage.

Reports are saying level 30+ or level 25+ (idk which) have the same everything, but this effectively kills scanners unless the bots are level 30/25+ (I am bummed about this change bc I am pro scanners).

Also made 7 million exp during this event and got to level 39 (1.8 million out of 5 million needed for 40), so it was amazing overall.
I haven't checked the news on it. This is confirmed well?

... well, I'm already at Lv35, so that works in my favour... somewhat. But....

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
the issue IS the designers here though, because these low level pokemon RUIN prestiging, Ninatic scale pokemon DOWN for low levels.. so why not scale them UP ffs.
and some random lamer does that just catches wild stuff takes all the gyms in one of the large and puts in random fresh caught junk in, removing anyone.. even their own team.
stop acting so entitled jesus christ

Source on this? Reddit mentioned it too but it wasn't big on explanations.
edit: a bit more info can be found below, no "confirmed" source but it seems pretty likely https://pokemongohub.net/shiny-release-imminent-wild-pokemon-ivs-moves-stats-now-unique-per-trainer/

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Yeah, when I posted the news, there weren't any picture pics (now you can find trainers posting side by side Pokemon at different levels with completely different everything). I considered this confirmed given the amount of people reporting it at different intervals. Case in point, most normal scanners now just show the Pokemon and no IVs or moveset.

Heard some reports on this too. Seems like this "randomisation" is purely combative measure. Well, given how many around here those with scanners, they would be the most upset. It doesn't change much either way, but it is another step.

stop acting so entitled jesus christ
how is it entitled when someone who is level 33 is putting rubbish in gyms deliberately, removing their own team, and making it hard to prestige because they put freshly caught junk in, it isn't entitled, it is called FAIRNESS ffs. gym here right now has a 10cp ditto on the bottom.. you tell me please how that is balanced? you cant HALF CP A 10CP.

why should a higher player get penalised for doing gyms because of a low CP pokemon, when a low level player is not penalised for higher level players being there?

sick of hearing this "entitled" bull, when the developers can add a system that is FAIR for everyone.

Hear, hear. In well-trod gyms that can change teams on a daily or even an hourly basis, putting in mons that make it harder for your teammates to assist with leveling is counterintuitive.

and in other cases that makes it first come, first serve, which can create large gaps in CP between 1 guy and the next.
if CP scaled both ways we also wouldn't need to carry around as many pokemon as we do now because you will have a range to work with.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
why should a higher player get penalised for doing gyms because of a low CP pokemon, when a low level player is not penalised for higher level players being there?
Uhh... a low level player of the opposite team is heavily penalized for higher level players being there. You come there with your awesome CP 220 Wartortle and want to try out some Pokémon battling, and then every Gym in your area carries Pokémon whose CP is at a minimum of 2200. You can technically try to battle, but your Pokémon will be completely wiped out in a matter of seconds. With low level Pokémon in the Gym, at least one can stand a chance to at least try battling without auto-losing immediately.

well yea, but that is teamwork, and even then I have had some lame 24 spoofer defeating a 3017 cp ZH/BS snorlax.

they don't have to go halves, and given you can beat nearly anything with halves then the level range isn't as small as you think it is.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
how is it entitled when someone who is level 33 is putting rubbish in gyms deliberately, removing their own team, and making it hard to prestige because they put freshly caught junk in, it isn't entitled, it is called FAIRNESS ffs. gym here right now has a 10cp ditto on the bottom.. you tell me please how that is balanced? you cant HALF CP A 10CP.

sick of hearing this "entitled" bull, when the developers can add a system that is FAIR for everyone.
Ignore the Ditto when prestiging. The prestigue formula is calculated against each Pokemon you defeat. If say a CP 3000 Rhydon was next, and you use a team with nothing higher than 1500 CP, defeating the two Pokemon will give the gym 1010 EXP (10 from Ditto, 1000 from Rhydon). A low CP Pokemon shouldn't be an issue when prestiging unless it's Chansey or Blissey.

If I see a low CP Pokemon or something in a higher gym that wasn't there before, I'd think that a person removed a Pokemon in a gym in order to help a friend who doesn't have a high CP Pokemon.

Last edited:
If you're really worried about people putting low CP Pokemon in a gym, another option is to make a secondary account with a team opposite with yours for the sake of eliminating Pokemon in the gym. This would contribute to the fuss about sniping Pokemon in your own team's gym though, and you should only benefit from it if the gym has 10 Pokemon already in it or if the low CP Pokemon is Chansey or Blissey, or maybe Snorlax.
I wouldn't go far as to encourage secondary account which violates the TOS, though. That's also cheating. Where I live, many people have multiple accounts and they ruin our lives by shaving the maximum gyms in the outskirts, even if I had worked on it myself first.

Aight, I'm having GO outage now. Egg distance still counted, but no stops nor gyms nor any spawn appears. I saw many others in different part of countries also have this problem.

Just sweet.... :mad:

Last edited:
Ignore the Ditto when prestiging. The prestigue formula is calculated against each Pokemon you defeat. If say a CP 3000 Rhydon was next, and you use a team with nothing higher than 1500 CP, defeating the two Pokemon will give the gym 1010 EXP (10 from Ditto, 1000 from Rhydon). A low CP Pokemon shouldn't be an issue when prestiging unless it's Chansey or Blissey.

If I see a low CP Pokemon or something in a higher gym that wasn't there before, I'd think that a person removed a Pokemon in a gym in order to help a friend who doesn't have a high CP Pokemon.
lucky I dont but in this case the issue with prestiging this gym is that it is level 6 (someone took out the ditto) and the gym is basically 1 dragonite a Blissey and a load of higher CP stuff... so you can only prestige against the dragonite, the ditto wasted a slot completly.

lucky I dont but in this case the issue with prestiging this gym is that it is level 6 (someone took out the ditto) and the gym is basically 1 dragonite a Blissey and a load of higher CP stuff... so you can only prestige against the dragonite, the ditto wasted a slot completly.
I can't think how a ditto can annoy one when he's down in one shot or two with negligible HP loss.

What? Annoyed just because a ditto caused one to have to train up 8k prestige with only one punching bag? Heh, I have trained under that condition or even had to get past that wall few times.

I'm not annoyed by it, but people have nearly got it back up to 7 again, but it is mainly for them.. the Blissey sat near the bottom is the bigger issue, as I change my tactics for 6+ anyway, and go half on the highest pokemon, as I did earlier to add something to a gym.. and added 4500 in one go. skip the level gaps and get 500's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)