Pokémon GO

I heard about this not too long ago and I'm so excited for it! This may sound ridiculous but I think the official page for Pokemon Go is following me on Twitter!

Fair warning: I don't actually have much interest in Pokemon Go. A lot of my parts in the article are about the Pokemon franchise and the direction Game Freak is taking it, so if you're interested mostly in the specifics on the game, you should probably skip my parts haha.

I really hope that it will be able to interface with the main series games either indirectly through Pokemon Box (or whatever it was called) or directly. That is my one hope for this game.

I really hope that it will be able to interface with the main series games either indirectly through Pokemon Box (or whatever it was called) or directly. That is my one hope for this game.
That would absolutely never happen. This is very definitely going to be a mobile only game mostly about collecting, and battling in some limited capacity. If there is an external app or user experience that interfaces with the games, it will likely be another device that comes with the game, or a website like Dream World. EVERYONE has internet, and everyone that bought HGSS got a Pokewalker, but not everyone has a smart phone, see?

As for the game, it's just gonna be another pay-to-win venture where the true masters will be bored middle-aged moms and oil tycoons that spend $1000 a month buying in-app advantages purchases. Also, don't forget to come to the Apple Store for your exclusive Mew!

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
That would absolutely never happen. This is very definitely going to be a mobile only game mostly about collecting, and battling in some limited capacity. If there is an external app or user experience that interfaces with the games, it will likely be another device that comes with the game, or a website like Dream World. EVERYONE has internet, and everyone that bought HGSS got a Pokewalker, but not everyone has a smart phone, see?

As for the game, it's just gonna be another pay-to-win venture where the true masters will be bored middle-aged moms and oil tycoons that spend $1000 a month buying in-app advantages purchases. Also, don't forget to come to the Apple Store for your exclusive Mew!
No.
Just no.

It's confirmed in interviews that they will be able to interact with future main Pokemon games.

Ishihara also confirms it won't be pay-to-win. They specifically programmed it to AVOID pay-to-win, so that everyone can enjoy it.

I don't have much to say on this, but it seems really promising. The locally based multiplayer aspect is a fresh idea for the franchise and should be interesting to see how it's pulled off. The only thing that might be flawed is finding Pokemon in completely incorrect areas, such as a Rapidash in a downtown alley or something. But besides for the possible inconsistency of logical locations, I don't see how this could turn out bad ;D
Hype hype hype hype hypeeeeee!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
30 million being invested by Nintendo, The Pokemon Company and Google.
To get into more specifics, the Pokemon Company, Nintendo, and Google are investing a collective $20 million to Niantic, Inc with another $10 million if they reach certain milestones. If you're wondering why and/or how Google is investing, Niantic, Inc was a startup of Google's which then went independent; so I'm guessing Niantic, Inc gave Google the opportunity to invest which obviously Google took.

You tried your best. You assembled your strongest team, but it wasn't enough. After a close battle full of twists and turns, your victorious opponent walks up to you menacingly, a bright glint in their eyes.

"You lose," they say.

Before you can react, BAM! They rabbit punch you in the face and the world slowly goes black. Hours later, you wake up in a hospital. The nurse tells you a passerby saw your unconscious body and carried you here. All of your belongings are still with you, except, when you open your wallet, half of your money is missing.

And this is why I won't be playing Pokemon GO when it comes out next year.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
You tried your best. You assembled your strongest team, but it wasn't enough. After a close battle full of twists and turns, your victorious opponent walks up to you menacingly, a bright glint in their eyes.

"You lose," they say.

Before you can react, BAM! They rabbit punch you in the face and the world slowly goes black. Hours later, you wake up in a hospital. The nurse tells you a passerby saw your unconscious body and carried you here. All of your belongings are still with you, except, when you open your wallet, half of your money is missing.

I don't think they'll be going THAT indepth with the game mechanics. :P

I imagine its more like you ensemble a team, get beaten, and gotta wait for the Pokemon Center to heal your Pokemon (unless you of course pay for "health insurance"). So at least another person isn't taking half your money, on the other hand the game makers are nickel and diming you every step of the way. THAT'S why I won't be playing (in addition to not having a iPhone).

"You lose," they say.

I imagine you were playing Pokemon GO while driving and crashed while trying to chase a Suicune. The money missing is from the hospital bills.

I imagine you were playing Pokemon GO while driving and crashed while trying to chase a Suicune. The money missing is from the hospital bills.
We could make jokes about this for days and a half! And you think that's bad? Try chasing Raikou, who promptly sprints towards a telephone pole, or Entei, who enters onto private property, and promptly has you facing down the barrel of a shotgun! And Azelf, Uxie, and Mesprit are just plain evil.

Cresselia~~

Hanke: Our goal is to make it so you can walk out of the house and within five minutes, you can find Pokémon. It may not be the most rare Pokémon in the world, but there’ll be a population of Pokémon living near all our players. Gyms will be a bit more rare. You want to find gyms so you can level up your Pokémon and battle there, so it will take a little more effort to get there.
Ah, so I don't have to worry about not finding Pokemon near me.

Pokémon will live in different parts of the world depending on what type of Pokémon they are. Water Pokémon will live near the water. It may be that certain Pokémon will only exist in certain parts of the world. Very rare Pokémon may exist in very few places. But you can trade. If you live in a place with lots of water Pokémon and you come to an event — we have these Ingress events that are getting bigger and bigger. We’ll have our biggest weekend ever on Saturday.
So they aren't random.

We’ll have events for Pokémon as well. Those are competitive, but they can also be places to trade stuff with other players. Pokémon trading is going to be huge. You can’t get all of them by yourself. If you want all of them you’ll have to trade with other players. Or you have to be someone who takes time off work and travels the world for a year. There may be people who do that.
New competitive platform? I'm hyped!!

GamesBeat: What about the one side versus the other that’s central to Ingress? How do you create a similar enthusiasm in Pokémon?

Hanke: There will be teams to join in Pokémon, more than two. Those teams will compete against one another.
So we are divided into factions too? And we are having more than 2 factions. Sounds cool to me.

-------

Overall, I think Pokemon Go will be great. I have high expectations for it, and I'm really hyped.
They didn't mention about in-game-purchase, but I'm sure they stated somewhere else about programming to AVOID pay-to-win.
They probably save it for the rarest Pokemon... or items like master ball.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
To be perfectly honest, I'm more curious than excited for this. It's obviously a great idea, one that seems like it could come closer than Nintendo's past and present handheld devices in terms of recreating the kind of bond that man and pokemon have shared on TV. But the way I see it, this venture is either going to be very good or very disappointing, simply due to all the hype surrounding it. More hype leads to higher, possibly unrealistic expectations.

That being said, I thought a pokemon fan like me was something of a rarity where I come from, but an astonishing number of people have, mostly via social media, shown that they are eagerly awaiting Pokemon GO's release. So I guess I'm more excited to meet fellow, once closeted, pokemon fans so we can hang out, exchange ideas, etc.

I'm so lonely :(

Cresselia~~

Item purchase via cash confirmed.

Pokemon Go launched Japanese site.
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/PokemonGO/#

Scroll to the bottom, you get a chart.

商品情報
商品名
Pokémon GO
対応OS
Android/iOS
  • 端末やOSのバージョンによっては、プレイできない場合がございます。
配信開始日
2016年予定
販売価格
基本プレイ無料

• 一部アイテム課金あり。
発売元
Niantic, Inc.
開発元
Niantic, Inc.
Bold characters say:
Purchase price-- basic play= free
* Some items can be purchased via cash.

Cresselia~~

Serebii.net

Pokémon GO - Launch Roll-out

In an interview with the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper, the launch roll-out for Pokémon GO has been revealed. In this interview, Tsunekazu Ishihara, head of the Pokémon Company, says that the app will rollout in Japan, Europe and North America first and then later launch in South America, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. No date has been revealed as of yet. In this interview, Mr. Ishihara also stated that they are working on another big project away from Pokémon GO.
Still no release date though.

I wonder if there's still region lock/ language lock at all? What are the differences between the language versions? Can different languages trade?
What language are the Chinese people going to play in?
We get Pokemon Shuffle in English, but main games in Japanese.

If there's no region lock in-game, then I'll start with a Japanese account. (We have many ways to play Japanese exclusive games via manipulation of user IP. We can even do in-app purchases using Japanese yen.)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Still no release date though.

I wonder if there's still region lock/ language lock at all? What are the differences between the language versions? Can different languages trade?
What language are the Chinese people going to play in?
We get Pokemon Shuffle in English, but main games in Japanese.

If there's no region lock in-game, then I'll start with a Japanese account. (We have many ways to play Japanese exclusive games via manipulation of user IP. We can even do in-app purchases using Japanese yen.)
Don't see why there would be. Like is there a way to trick your phone in thinking you're somewhere else in the world (like most phones has GPS now and this game requires your real life location to work properly)? Otherwise there would be no point in region locking.

Serebii said:
Previously, it was announced that on March 14th, John Hanke from Niantic was to host a presentation on Pokémon GO at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. Unfortunately, it has just been announced that this conference has been cancelled. It is not known if it will be rescheduled or if there are any delays with the game itself. We'll bring all Pokémon GO news as it comes so keep checking back
Well...darn.

Serebii said:
Edit @ 16:34: Speaking to Game Informer, John Hanke explained that the cancellation is in order for Niantic to focus their efforts on preparing the game for beta test and launch

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)