Pokémon GO

so, went to a listed Cubone nest (was Magmar before then though), walked a good 4km to get there.... and get back from it for a 5KM egg to hatch into a freaking Cubone, was worth the walk though.
caught Tentacruel (1269 cp) rubbish IV's, Vileplume (33 cp) 66.7% IV, just getting there... on the way back, Poliwrath (702 cp) with Hydro pump and 82.22% IV, can build that up over time.
a 57.78% Lapras (633 cp)and a shockingly bad weezing (17.78%) with 1225 cp

silph only works if it is marked, I have 2 or 3 nests located as possibles that are not on there because: 1 is a golf course (ponyta.... need those) 1 is a park out of the way of everything (pinsir) and one is a town centre park in an area you wouldn't associate with pokemon go players that would use it (also pinsir).

there are no starter nests located anywhere nearby either, squirtle spawn plenty enough without it, but my nearby charmander spawn no longer spawns charmander, did spawn a voltorb and that weezing though as well as a squirtle.

so I now have a vileplume.. I would have evolved a gloom for.. and a weezing that gave my the 50 candys to evolve a koffing
boo my 91.% jigglypuff evolved into pound+dazzling gleam wigglytuff :(

Last edited:
there is a guy around here with at least 3 dragonites... 2990-3025 CP range
just what... there are a total of zero dratini nests, and have never been any.

O..M..G SNORLAX spawned 10m away from the house :D 1634 CP 77.78% IV's.. not too shabby, and caught with a great ball.
gonna sit him in a Gym tomorrow :D

Last edited:
I have only ever seen 1 wild bulbasaur and 1 wild Ivysaur.. squirtles pop up everywhere, and my only charmander spawn is gone :(

I have one Squirtle, from visiting the beach. I have about 10 or so Bulbasaurs, 1 cp19 Ivysaur, 15 or so Charmanders and 1 Charmeleon.

TOPIC 1: thoughts on gym battling mechanics change?

I am not a fan. it increases DPS if you don't dodge, but if you want to dodge and you have a quick basic attack (water gun, lick, dragon breath, etc) it's pretty frustrating even if you attempt to count attacks. so you either play it safe and lose DPS, or you try to max your basic attack weaving and eat a charge attack because you pressed once within the wrong 500 ms window. it just feels like shit. like I'm playing on an australian server and I need to predict my moves ahead of time to compensate for the lag. it's absurdly unsatisfying. I have well over 1000 gym battles and after the patch, I've just stopped feeling the urge to take down the high lvl gyms that sprout up by my apartment. do others feel this way? am I just an impatient person who was spoiled by a new phone that doesn't lag?

TOPIC 2: high lvl players: do you prioritize maxing attackers or defenders? I used to think maxing attackers was the way to go, but now I've become more convinced that defenders might be the best guys to max. (1) you get to show them off in a gym and know that you have a good moveset for defending them (2) attacking is easy, so you don't need to max your attackers for them to be useful - pokemon lvl 30 gets you a balance of high lvl + stardust-/candy-efficiency.

TOPIC 3: fire blast < flamethrower and blizzard < ice beam for attacking, despite the one-bar moves' higher dps because two-bar moves are more flexible and have a straighter damage vs time plot.

TOPIC 1: thoughts on gym battling mechanics change?

I am not a fan. it increases DPS if you don't dodge, but if you want to dodge and you have a quick basic attack (water gun, lick, dragon breath, etc) it's pretty frustrating even if you attempt to count attacks. so you either play it safe and lose DPS, or you try to max your basic attack weaving and eat a charge attack because you pressed once within the wrong 500 ms window. it just feels like shit. like I'm playing on an australian server and I need to predict my moves ahead of time to compensate for the lag. it's absurdly unsatisfying. I have well over 1000 gym battles and after the patch, I've just stopped feeling the urge to take down the high lvl gyms that sprout up by my apartment. do others feel this way? am I just an impatient person who was spoiled by a new phone that doesn't lag?

TOPIC 2: high lvl players: do you prioritize maxing attackers or defenders? I used to think maxing attackers was the way to go, but now I've become more convinced that defenders might be the best guys to max. (1) you get to show them off in a gym and know that you have a good moveset for defending them (2) attacking is easy, so you don't need to max your attackers for them to be useful - pokemon lvl 30 gets you a balance of high lvl + stardust-/candy-efficiency.

TOPIC 3: fire blast < flamethrower and blizzard < ice beam for attacking, despite the one-bar moves' higher dps because two-bar moves are more flexible and have a straighter damage vs time plot.
I'd say maxing defenders since the ideal way to build up gyms that you hold and get coins from is by training, and you'd rather have lower cp attackers that can effectively win, and really high cp defenders that you can slot up to the top positions.

the new battling system is tough to adjust to but i'm working on it

the lag annoys me as well as I can no longer dodge.
I focus on Vaporeon, Gyarado, Hypno, parasect and Golem, because I'm out of Electabuzz candy so can't focus on him, and same with Arcanine.
I also have a Pidgeot and Poliwrath to bring up.
always attackers for me, given defending is actually useless, only the Hypno fits that role as the Vaporeon and Gyarados are better suited to clearing gyms. I do have my caught 1600+ cp snorlax to sit an a gym as well.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I personally max defensive Pokémon.

I mean, I never need to take out a big gym. Usually, I train strong blue gyms to add my Pokémon there (since they last several days/weeks), and right before claiming my coins, I defeat a weak gym and add a Pokémon that will stay for half an hour.

I don't need any strong attacker since when I train, I want my Pokémon to be slightly weaker than the weakest Pokémon of the gym (my vaporeon 1700 took down a 2100 Snorlax today, so 'slighty' isn't even needed). When I attack a gym, it usually starts at 6v3.

But I want great Pokémon to defend the gyms I train, so here goes my stardust

Edit: I didn't feel any difference for topic 1 lately, what changed?

Also on topic 3: better dps is better when you struggle to take the Pokémon down. Better flexibility is better when you already easily win. So I'd disagree with you here

I personally max defensive Pokémon.

I mean, I never need to take out a big gym. Usually, I train strong blue gyms to add my Pokémon there (since they last several days/weeks), and right before claiming my coins, I defeat a weak gym and add a Pokémon that will stay for half an hour.

I don't need any strong attacker since when I train, I want my Pokémon to be slightly weaker than the weakest Pokémon of the gym (my vaporeon 1700 took down a 2100 Snorlax today, so 'slighty' isn't even needed). When I attack a gym, it usually starts at 6v3.

But I want great Pokémon to defend the gyms I train, so here goes my stardust

Edit: I didn't feel any difference for topic 1 lately, what changed?

Also on topic 3: better dps is better when you struggle to take the Pokémon down. Better flexibility is better when you already easily win. So I'd disagree with you here
The game now buffers one action beforehand, so if you tap to attack in the middle of a current attack animation, it will go through and there is no way to cancel it. If your play style was to spam attacks and dodge when the defender uses a charge move, this strategy is no longer as effective because you can get caught in an attack with no way to dodge.

the point i am making is that theoretical dps is higher, but in practice, since most of that damage is stored in the single bar charge move, many times you won't be able to achieve that maximum dps. ex: fire type dying in 10 water gun + hydro pump + 8 more water gun (no use for next charged hydro pump), or finally charging up fire blast only to realize that exeggutor will die in three more fire fangs anyways. two bar charge moves mean you get closer to the move combo's theoretical dps because you can usually time it so that you kill something with aqua tail/flamethrower without much spare energy/too much overkill.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh flexibility like that, I thought more like "Hpump is overkill, better save half the bar for the next opponent"

Then yeah it makes sense

thats why I love seeing Exeggutor and then Vaporeon in gyms. Parasect bug bites for 4x then nukes the Vaporeon.
some interesting pokemon to use for attacking, looking through stats with best movesets all these are above 18 DPS
Wigglytuff and Chansey with Pound + Hyperbeam 20.39 DPS
Parasect with Bug bite + Solarbeam 19.88 DPS
water types with watergun+Hydro pump 18.83 DPS
Charizard wing attack + fireblast 18.30 DPS
Venusaur AND Tangela have Vine whip + Solar beam 18.10 DPS

Machamp is pretty Pathetic ATM Karate chop and Cross chop only 12.98 dps
I so have to get a a Chansey with good IV's just to clear gyms now lol

Last edited:
I came to read that they will revamp the training mechanics. 6 Pokemon and lower CP adjustment. I only hope that they don't lower the gained points after the training-only gym Pokemon nerf. But in that case, there will be a gym training viability ranking too soon enough?

the CP adjustment is interesting, but if they weaken gym defenders CP, then Parasect is just going to steamroll entire gyms.
training with 6 pokemon to level the gym up seems fairer, especially as people always leave low CP evolutions in there where you half CP stuff gets facerolled.
the capture bonus sounds good, no more stupid ball wasting on the drowzees.

yes, but what happens if you had gold for grass and poison, do they double the effect.

rather pleasing, because all these high CP junk pokes are starting to need ultra balls I'm not willing to waste.
plus Normal means easier to catch Jigglypuff

hopefully the patch is soon as the old Geodude nest that changed to Magikarp.. is now Squirtle
and I caught over 1000 water pokemon according to the medal.

yes, but what happens if you had gold for grass and poison, do they double the effect.

rather pleasing, because all these high CP junk pokes are starting to need ultra balls I'm not willing to waste.
plus Normal means easier to catch Jigglypuff

hopefully the patch is soon as the old Geodude nest that changed to Magikarp.. is now Squirtle
and I caught over 1000 water pokemon according to the medal.
It will have the average of both types.

Does anybody here still play?
I have been playing way too much for my own good, and this game might just be ruining my life.

I'm Lv 27...

well silph road atlas is working and 4th Migration has shown that that cubone nest i went to is now Abra... and not far from that Kabuto and a possible charmander nest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)