Pokémon Hate to Great

What pokemon have you seen that you absolutely hated but somehow you ended up using it and it became one of your favorites. Thought it would be interesting to see people's stories. For me it was hydreigon

Jirachi, of course. I mean, you fight it, it haxes you, you rage.
But then...
...then you use it. And your mind opens to the truth. Its effects have over 50% activation. You realise that what you thought was hax was actually the Universe's natural order asserting itself. Attacks which hit Jirachi are the true hax.
tl;dr Jirachi's flinch hax sure feels different when you're on the the dealing end.

froakie. i didn't hate it but i was like ew.

but then my friends were getting chespin/fennekin so i was kinda stuck with him.

then i looked at fanart and was like "hey, he's not so bad"

and then i realized that he looked like a sir and he is now the best kalos starter eat your heart out fennekin.

Conckledurr

Personally, I still think he looks stupid, like a clown on steroids or something, but good night I love using him on my trick room team.

Eh, I haven't really hated any Pokemon really. However, I used to not really have any feels for Aerodactyl until one day I was trying to make an extremely fast rock slide user for Triples, and he was there. Used him ever since.

I hated conkeldurr... it's just so ugly. Then i tried it on my first attempt in competitve battling and since then i respect it :)

I agree with all of these I almost think gamefreak gives bad designs to good pokemon like conkeldurr just to make them not so overused

2 pokemon I think of :

1) Pelipper : at first, I didn't really hate it but I thought it was some derpy weak useless pokemon but then I started using in both in game and competitive and I love it now. It has pretty good defense, it counters most oh-so-good fighting types and supports a rain team very well. If you have one in an NU team, Sawk and Gurrdurr are no longer problems :D.

2) Cincinno : at first I was like, yet another cute and weak normal type until I use a skill link one in B2W2 and this thing was so good ! It's fast, hits very hard and has very good coverage. Even if it's in a difficult situation, it can still U-turn out and demolish stuff later :p. It even killed the almighty Kyurem Black in the story mode, it was funny seeing this badass super strong dragon getting demolished by an adorable little furball :p.

Tentacruel. You would think its really week and Tentacool is notorious for being weak and annoying. But 'cruel is a great Pokémon to use. He has 80 tentacles how is that not badass.

Keldeo. It looks so stupid and like it was made for the bronies to wank over lol. But dat speed dat sp.atk and dat STAB combo

I started gen 5 hating Serperior and Liepard.

Liepard is still a useless piece of shit to me ingame, but Serperior grew on me with Coil and Leaf Blade. It taught me patience.

Whereas Liepard taught me that Pokemon that can't take a hit ingame suck.

Tepig's evolution line.

I always have a habit of choosing the Fire starters, simply because they are awesome. When Black and White came out however, I thought Tepig was ugly. When I saw his evolutions, I decided I was done with Fire starters. However, when I first bought White 2, I decided to give Tepig a try out of pity.

I'm glad I did. Tepig and his evolutions have grown on me. They taught me never to judge Pokemon by appearances.

Cacturne and Solrock. I thought that they were such stupid pokemon, one being a rock and a sun..... the other being a cactus cowboy? Come on.....

But their designs grew on me, and they're awesome in my sun team for NU.

When black and white came out I thought Conkeldurr looked terrible. I even used it in game and was still unimpressed.

Then I started to use it competitively and I've come to root for the guy's OU ranking just out of pure respect.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Scraggy/Scrafty seemed a shit deal to me. Scrafty looked like it was on meth.

Until he solo'd 2 of the BW1 Elite 4 despite being ~7lvls underleveled (Moxie Sweep)

Now he's a slick OG

I would say Ferrothorn. When I first saw it, I thought that it was an ugly design and was too similar to Forretress. My friend told me that Ferrothorn was awesome, so to convince me, she breed and ev trained one for me. I decided to use it in a wifi battle. During the battle, I realized that Ferrothorn had incredible tanking potential as well as typing. Now I use Ferrothorn in many team compositions.

Miltank no doubt. I raged so hard fighting against Whitney's Miltank... and now it's my favorite pokemon by far.

2 pokemon I think of :

1) Pelipper : at first, I didn't really hate it but I thought it was some derpy weak useless pokemon but then I started using in both in game and competitive and I love it now. It has pretty good defense, it counters most oh-so-good fighting types and supports a rain team very well. If you have one in an NU team, Sawk and Gurrdurr are no longer problems :D.

2) Cincinno : at first I was like, yet another cute and weak normal type until I use a skill link one in B2W2 and this thing was so good ! It's fast, hits very hard and has very good coverage. Even if it's in a difficult situation, it can still U-turn out and demolish stuff later :p. It even killed the almighty Kyurem Black in the story mode, it was funny seeing this badass super strong dragon getting demolished by an adorable little furball :p.

Pelliper has swag.

Reuniclus. I absolutely despise the completely arbitrary psychic typing and reliance on focus blast. I railed against it pretty hard in its overhype thread, but ill admit that I was wrong...it's become one of my faves. I still hate the typing though.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Sigilyph. I thought it was really creepy and un-biological. And I saw in the anime it has three eyes.
But then when I play B2W2 it's amazing for getting through the trainers.

Hydreigon. Well I don't really hate this one, but I normally hate dark types and it was the only one I had an ok with.
Then my Hydreigon really really helps in nearly all of my teams.
It's good for attack and support-- being the only member in my team that surf but not weak to electric.

Togekiss. Design-wise, I didn't like her very much, but when I started to play competitively, I realized how completely evil she is with her Paraflinch set. But one day I tried out her bulky Nasty Plot set, and fell in love completely. And since then, her design started to appeal to me, and now she's in my top ten favorite Pokemon.

Gogoat. At first I thought it looked really stupid, but then I learned you could ride it, and it totally grew on me!

Sylveon when it was first revealed. I was like oh great, another stupid frilly-ass Normal type. But then it turned out to be a Fairy, and the Pokemon Amie footage of it eating a macaron was revealed and I am now totally gonna use one on my X team!! :toast:

Clefable. I always thought it was useless and really ugly until I used it on a DPP UU team and discovered how awesome it was! Magic Guard, awesome recovery, great support movepool, and even a relatively wide range of attack moves make her amazing! I'll probably go back to hating her guts if TrollFreak doesn't end up giving her part Fairy typing though!!!! haha

OH an Garchomp. I absolutely hated that thing in-game, it looked so stupid with those rockets on the sides of its head and those stupid unnecessary fins protruding from its arms. But then I started using it in 5th gen before it got banned and it wrecked shit so I gained more respect for it.

I should really get into competitive mons again (not that I ever got hugely into it but still), because it really gives you an appreciation for Pokemon that you otherwise wouldn't like at all.

I've never been a fan of the Chikorita-line. It was just generally unappealing until I gave it a chance in a recent Soul Silver playthrough. It was still a pain to use at times, but I've grown to enjoy it; more specifically, Bayleef and Meganium.

I always hated Dwebble ever since fighting Burgh in White. Then, in White2, a friend of mine and I went and traded two random Pokémon, and he gave me a frigging Dwebble, ROKY, which I promised to raise. ROKY is now a lv 40-some-odd Crustle, and I hate the way I love him for being so useful against Clay and Skyla (he became lv 40 because I had a hard time putting him away)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)