Pokémon Hate to Great

Definitely Scrafty. I originally looked at it and thought "Really Gamefreak? The hoodlum pokémon?" But then I started using it on Showdown and started loving the fact that it learns like every move that it wants and is fantastic in Trick Room. Shame about the Fairies killing it so much in Gen 6 though.

Diggersby. At first, it looks like just your standard early-game normal type that will always be crappy. Then, Huge Power became a thing.

Also, Greninja. I loved Froakie's and Frogadier's designs when I saw them, but when the picture of Greninja first leaked, I was hoping it was a fake. But now, it's grown on me and it's my favorite gen 6 Pokemon by far. The tongue is still a little obtrusive, but the way it somersaults out of its Pokeball and spins when using a contact move is pretty cool. Also, Protean is an amazing ability and it's blazingly fast.

Zuuuuuubaaaaaat.......

How many caves - how many thousands of these little buggers did I have to endure for over a decade?

But Crobat? Him, I like. Him, I use.

I gotta add Gardevior. I liked the design, but then I had to go to Google Images to find a reference pic for my Smog piece, and saw it was hit by a veritable meteor shower of Rule 34. The Internet really ruined that one, but I still want to like it. It's just...what's been seen can't be unseen, you know?

At one point, I absolutely loathed Gengar. I hated it so much! It was ugly, it kept killing me in the Battle Tower, it's typing was shit and it was just, blah.

But then, I decided to use one for myself in the Battle Frontier for Emerald. With a moveset of Taunt/Destiny Bond/Thunderbolt/Ice Punch, it soon became clear that Gengar was a champion mon and that it would never let me down. It's become one of my favorite Pokemon since then!

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For me, I'd say Klinklang. I used to dislike Klinklang due to the fact that it's a gear Pokemon, and when I saw it I was like "Seriously, we have gears for Pokemon?". I also looked at Klinklang's movepool and how shallow it is, which led me to believe this Pokemon would be 100% useless and would be forever condemned to disuse. Although I used Klinklang when I got into RU and after a while I actually like Klinklang, the thing sweeps pretty well when supported properly, and has always been quite solid for me tbh. Gear Grind missing sucks (I hate when this happens lol), but it's pretty cool overall though and is definitely a good late game cleaner in RU. Also, despite the fact that it's a gear Pokemon I kind of like its design, looking at it now Klinklang is actually kind of cute tbh.

When the entire generation 6 began to leak, Avalugg way my least favourite Pokémon from this gen. I thought it was just an ugly, odd-looking Regice ripoff with gigantic physical defense instead of special defense. But after seeing some better pictures of it, I thought it looked kinda kool, then I learnt that it was likely based on the Project Habakkuk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Habakkuk), an amazing concept IMO. Also Bergmite looks cute AND has the cutest cry ever in the Pokémon series, I just can't hate it.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
When the entire generation 6 began to leak, Avalugg way my least favourite Pokémon from this gen. I thought it was just an ugly, odd-looking Regice ripoff with gigantic physical defense instead of special defense. But after seeing some better pictures of it, I thought it looked kinda kool, then I learnt that it was likely based on the Project Habakkuk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Habakkuk), an amazing concept IMO. Also Bergmite looks cute AND has the cutest cry ever in the Pokémon series, I just can't hate it.
At first, I was like Oh Bergmite is sooo cute, why does it evolve into a table thing?
But then I saw its physical defense, and how it absorbs physical attacks like a boss.
I like it now.

I never use a Pokemon competitively that I don't like. Not even something essential, like Rotom-Wash or Ferrothorn.

But, I started to like Pokemon I didn't like at first but got evolutions later on or mega evolutions.

For example:

-Sneasel
-Scyther
-Magmar
-Electabuzz
-Aerodactyl
-Gyarados

In the last generation I had a Stoutland in a sand team with the ability sand rush. At first i thought the dog was as bland as it's typing but MY GOD I couldn't fault the effort of it with the power of the move Return with a choice band and double speed in sand, it was the fastest and strongest revenge killer I have ever used.

In the last generation I had a Stoutland in a sand team with the ability sand rush. At first i thought the dog was as bland as it's typing but MY GOD I couldn't fault the effort of it with the power of the move Return with a choice band and double speed in sand, it was the fastest and strongest revenge killer I have ever used.
And then, enter Talonflame. He stole the crown, I bet.

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
I guess I will start based on my in-game experiences for most since I recently dabbled into competitive.

- SoulSilver opened my eyes to Ampharos, which I thought was nothing outside of looking adorable. While my scale sometimes slid back to dislike, it wasn't until it evolved to its last stage that it become fixed on my "great" scale. Typhlosion, however, went the exact opposite direction since it was dead weight to me half the time, to the point I swapped it out for Houndoom in the Kanto half of the playthrough.
- Black 2 and White 2 gave me two. The latter caused me to adore the hell out of the Magnemite line, which I never got to a Magnezone before, which I regretted boxing because I had a massive fighting weakness at the time. White 2 showed me the magic of Skill Link Cinccino when I scored one with Jolly and 31 atk and 25-26 spe. The thing was so god damn amazing I switched it to B2, re-did the EVs, and went on to get me my first win in the Champions PWT.
- My Y Nuzlocke caused me to change my opinions on Chesnaught and Talonflame. The latter was amazing and its U-Turns in conjuction with Lucario made dealing with Sturdy mons tolerable and Chesnaught was a massive tank even with Super Effective special attacks that kicked colossal amounts of ass. It also helped I finished my X run with a low opinion on Greninja. Furthermore, Talonflame made me want to try out Gale Wings one and it has served me very, very well in Wi-Fi.

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
Serperior is now on my list as of today. I had a low opinion of Samurott and Emboar dver since their lackluster performance during my playthroughts of W2 and B2 respectively, and I didn't even give the smug snake a chance out of the belief it would suck. I was getting tired of using Ferrothorn (I still love you, Cerlinde) after Arceus knows how many battles, so I bred up a 5 IV Snivy named Sterling (Malory Archer) with Glare out of boredom.

Ended up winning several Wi-Fi battles thanks to the para-shuffling (and it wasn't hax stopping them outright). He isn't "great", but good enough for a positive opinion. Likely going to find a different para-shuffler or grass-type in the future, but my Zygarde isn't cutting it due to HP IV being in the single digits. ;_;

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Semi-bump?

The Pokemon that I really hated was Zygarde. I felt like we were all cheated by Zygarde being another Dragon/Ground rather than the Dragon/Poison I really wanted, which would also fit it based on its real life origin. I got over that though, and realized I really liked its design and origin, so it became probably one of my favorite new Pokemon of this generation.

I never really disliked Xerneas, but I liked it a lot more after I realized it is a lot like the Forest Spirit from Princess Mononoke which is pretty much the greatest film of all time. As a deer Pokemon, it is really top tier. I think I might even like it more than Sawsbuck. (Sawsbuck is really cool but not quite that strong and its other season forms are just hideous)

Yveltal wasn't anything special but I did like it, so all in all, I think all three legendaries this generation are solid. Especially because I really liked the Norse Mythology origins that they were going for, even though that wasn't really part of the game's story all that much.

The Honedge line evolution.

I thought they looked really stupid at first and how Aegislash was so overused at the beginning. Now I think it looks really cool and that it's a really great mon to use in the Battle Maison and wifi overall. (plus it's shiny is awesome.)

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
Another Pokemon Hate to Great by means of acquiring love for it thanks to taking time to use one: Swanna. I thought it was a lame and frail bird that only looked best either best in a Musical or a BBQ. Ducklett was a colossal and frustrating pain in the ass to grind since it kept fainting a lot and I was about to give up until it evolved. Afterwards, summing my White 2 run as "Swanna tears Clay and half of Eastern Unova a new asshole" might be a fitting title after the thing went on a killing spree, hampered a bit at the end due to frailty. Doubt I would use her again, but I love the beautiful flyer now!

But Ducklett can go screw itself. Hate grinding that thing.

Afterwards, summing my White 2 run as "Swanna tears Clay and half of Eastern Unova a new asshole"
I never played BW2, but I definitely remember this in BW. Swanna just completely destroys in that game. She might not do the same competitively, but in-game, she is ridiculous. I had a similar hate-to-great with Swanna because I found the design a little unpleasant for a swan Pokemon (which is one I have wanted for a while), but once I started to look at it as "sassy" it made me smile, then I raised one for a playthrough and barely needed anyone else.

Zubat. Always hated it due to it being in EVERY cave for the first 4 gens. Once I realized how Crobat is awesome that made up for it

Disliked Quagsire with every fiber of my body until around Gen IV or V or so, and when I actually started using it a bit. It actually wasn't anywhere as bad as I thought it was. oO; I also remember not liking Gyarados also until I gave it a shot and was pleasantly proven wrong.

One of my most fav pokes right now is Kecleon. He was always so meh before, but after using him in UU beta with his new epic ability he is just so awesome. There is nothing more satisfying than fighting someone who uses a fighting type attack while you use shadow sneak to become completely immune to it xD. He is also one of the best users of assault vest imo, especially with drain punch. He takes so many special hits and can hit back surprisingly hard.

I would say Ferrothorn. When I first saw it, I thought that it was an ugly design and was too similar to Forretress. My friend told me that Ferrothorn was awesome, so to convince me, she breed and ev trained one for me. I decided to use it in a wifi battle. During the battle, I realized that Ferrothorn had incredible tanking potential as well as typing. Now I use Ferrothorn in many team compositions.
Absolutely love Ferrothorn! I just solo'd a team today with him! He's such a dick pokemon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)