Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver - The Offical Competitive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kingler can also be an extremely potent threat. Adamant Kingler reaches 498 speed after an Agility, and it already has 394 attack to begin with. With only 6 EVs in HP Kingler has 252/266 physical defenses. Add the fact that it resists Bullet Punch, this guy could be the new SD Luke, sweeping the ground. It learns Crabhammer, Brick Break, Rock Slide and X-Scissor; and loltoxicroak is the only Pokemon who resists all of these moves and nothing is literally a safe switch-in until you figure out what 3 moves it's running.

Yawn won't stop Azelf from using Taunt, to prevent Rocks and Yawn from working.. or just using Stealth Rocks, and then U-Turn to escape sleep itself.

blasphemy, I think you arent realising how incredible piority is in LC. with liechi activated, toto has an attack stat of 30+, while being able to outspeed everything. SO really, all it has to do is use Return against stuff that isnt faster or got priority, and tear shit up with AJ against faster stuff
Naturally, Gunk takes care of it, but then again you can always run Diglett to take care of Gunk

blasphemy, I think you arent realising how incredible piority is in LC. with liechi activated, toto has an attack stat of 30+, while being able to outspeed everything. SO really, all it has to do is use Return against stuff that isnt faster or got priority, and tear shit up with AJ against faster stuff
Naturally, Gunk takes care of it, but then again you can always run Diglett to take care of Gunk
No, I think you are getting the wrong idea, I play LC quite often, and I understand how fast it is. That is why I am saying that even without Torrent, Aqua Jet on Totodile is something to fear(Diglett, Houndour, Gastly, etc.)

Only 30.2% run Taunt, and 14.8% run U-Turn... the idea is to Yawn + Protect anyways.
Currently 0% of Swamperts run Yawn. :naughty:

Azelf will obviously change if Swampert becomes a common lead once again, because it will be one more thing he has to cover. Taunt has seen higher percentages on Azelf is the past, and could see a rise again. Or Azelf can just Grass Knot him into oblivion.

Currently 0% of Swamperts run Yawn. :naughty:

Azelf will obviously change if Swampert becomes a common lead once again, because it will be one more thing he has to cover. Taunt has seen higher percentages on Azelf is the past, and could see a rise again. Or Azelf can just Grass Knot him into oblivion.
That is what I am saying. Yawn Swampert is sure to shake up the metagame a bit.

@ MetalGarX: No, Swampert has never had Yawn.

I'm not sure he'll be more successful as a lead though. Yawn+Protect really limits what he can do. Does he go for setting up Rocks, and have ONE attack.. or go for two attacks, and not setup anything?

I'm not sure he'll be more successful as a lead though. Yawn+Protect really limits what he can do. Does he go for setting up Rocks, and have ONE attack.. or go for two attacks, and not setup anything?
It's just yet another option to add to his versatile(albeit predictable atm) moveset.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
According to AMF (the guy hacking the game), there are 52 tutors this time (WHAT), so it's going to take a while. He's working now at the TM lists; interestingly enough, a lot of pokémon that could learn Defog in DPPt cannot learn this time, and others that couldn't can now. Could it be...?
Nevermind this post, it looks like what happened is that now HM05 might be Whirlpool.

So much for Defog ;_;

Encore is one of the best moves out there, and I'm glad some neat Pokemon are getting a piece. Poliwrath with Encore and Belly Drum? Sounds like an opportunity for mind games in UU.

Quagsire can run Curse / Recover. Clefable can cleric. Misdreavus and Jynx can NP sweep. Mr. Mime can do the same and pass them along as well. Victreebel could make Sunny Day worth using with Weather Ball. Honchkrow and SD Venusaur got ridiculous STABs to work with. UU is going to be nuts.

Nice :) My three most fav. UU pokemon (Clefable, Mismagius and Feraligatr) got nice additions!
Aromatherapy Clefable!
Nasty Plot Mismagius!
Aquajet Feraligatr!
Nice :)
I see some Tier changes here and there..... Likely Mismagius will get either OU or BL thanks to great speed, Sub and Nastyplot instead of Calmmind...

Encore is one of the best moves out there, and I'm glad some neat Pokemon are getting a piece. Poliwrath with Encore and Belly Drum? Sounds like an opportunity for mind games in UU.

Quagsire can run Curse / Recover. Clefable can cleric. Misdreavus and Jynx can NP sweep. Mr. Mime can do the same and pass them along as well. Victreebel could make Sunny Day worth using with Weather Ball. Honchkrow and SD Venusaur got ridiculous STABs to work with. UU is going to be nuts.
Yeah, Encore + Focus Punch looks to be fun as well.

I could see Honchkrow and/or Mismagius getting moved up to BL, but I don't want to predict too much.

Nasty Plot Mismagius and Brave Bird Honchkrow are obviously two massive 'OH shit!' cases for UU, that goes without saying.

I'm actually more intrigued by a lesser addition, namely Switcheroo Manectric. Nowhere near as gamebreaking, but now Manectric has a standard fourth move for Choice sets. Might not be enough to make it UU, but a great addition nonetheless.

Head Smash Aggron also interests me. I can't see Nidoking or Donphan using it at all, but Aggron now takes over from Relicanth as the strongest reliable user. Would've been very interesting to see its effect on the Crobat metagame, but we probably won't get that chance again. Just waiting now to see if it gets Bullet Punch through Move Tutor, allowing it to be a little less susceptible to Dugtrio revenge-killing.

It is hard to say whether Rock Blast will see any use on Cloyster. On the face of it, it doesn't offer much in the way of coverage, and he doesn't really have the stats or typing to take on the common Sub users, although he would have a 'chance' at beating SubPunch Azumarill. As always though, the accuracy is a real letdown. It would be so much better if the accuracy applied to each individual hit so that it could average 100 base power and very rarely do 0 damage.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: it also boggles my mind that Venusaur got Power Whip when more obvious candidates like Victreebel and Tentacruel did not. I also wanted Donphan to get it, but I guess that was asking for too much (maybe 5th gen?).

I'm actually more intrigued by a lesser addition, namely Switcheroo Manectric. Nowhere near as gamebreaking, but now Manectric has a standard fourth move for Choice sets. Might not be enough to make it UU, but a great addition nonetheless.
Didn't even noticed that. Should be useful, surely better than Thunder or Hyper Beam.

Priority tutor moves are bitching cool.

Nasty Plot will net Maggy a shitton more usage, it's easy to find a time to NP with three immunities.

Curse/Recover/2 attacking moves (Quake/Edge?), and has to be in a Sandstorm. I have my doubts, to be honest. Especially with all these Encore users....

Curse/Recover/2 attacking moves (Quake/Edge?), and has to be in a Sandstorm. I have my doubts, to be honest. Especially with all these Encore users....
It doesn't have to be in SS. It is NU after all. Don't forget that Cradily can't be phazed.

Curse/Rest/EQ/Rock Slide seems viable as well. Obviously, it's not gonna destroy the metagame but it's a really nice addition to a cool poke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)