Pokémon Matchmaking: SM NU Edition (Current Pokémon: Zangoose)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Approved by big boy Disjunction
OP stolen and modified from my OU thread because lol fuck writing a new OP

Pokémon Matchmaking
All Pokemon are unable to function completely independently; this is where teammates come in. Teammates assist one another in achieving goals that a Pokemon may have in mind--whether that be sweeping or walling, there are effective teammates for every Pokemon.

This project aims to find the best partners for a variety of Pokemon. These may range from metagame defining Pokemon to more underrated threats.

Procedure
Every week, a Pokemon will be nominated for discussion: the goal being to find the best, and most effective partners for the nominated Pokemon. During the one-week period, everyone will have the chance to submit one Pokemon that they feel supports the nominated Pokemon best. I will then open voting and a participant-number-dependent number of winners will added to the winners archive, with users who enter five or more times being added to the hall of fame. In addition, the posts which I feel display a very high quality with regards to post quality (amount and relevance of info, concision/lack of fluff etc.) will be put in a separate, more prestigious subjective archive archive which will function as a "sample posts" section, so to speak.

Rules
1. Stick to Pokemon ranked above D on the NU Viability Rankings. Pokemon that are not ranked, should not be nominated unless you really know what you’re talking about.
2. Reservations are allowed. If you have not posted your reserved Pokemon after 24 hours, other users may nominate the Pokemon you had reserved and may complete it themselves.
3. Please include a set for your submission; don't submit a Pokemon if you aren't even going to give me any other information about what it is you are submitting.
4. Don't theorymon. Post Pokemon that you have had experience with.
5. Explain how and why the Pokemon you have nominated works well. For example, do the two Pokemon have offensive synergy (with respect to being able to wear down similar checks and counters) or defensive synergy (with respect to being able to wall a portion of the metagame due to typing, or role fulfilment)?
6. Be considerate of others when posting, and only post when necessary; try not to post one-liners.
7. Calcs and replays are nice, but not compulsory.

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Round 1: Choice Specs Vanilluxe

Vanilluxe @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Freeze Dry
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Lets pull people into this project by starting with some ice cream. Submissions close sometime next Thursday.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

With access to Rapid Spin, Hitmonlee can make sure Vanilluxe isn't worn down over the course of a match thanks to Stealth Rock. It also counters many Vanilluxe checks, such as Piloswine, Miltank, and Cryogonal. Knock Off is useful for removing Lefties so that mons that use said item can't recover off Hail damage. In return, Vanilluxe beats Flying-types (though coverage moves and Vivillon's Sleep Powder hurt), and can severely wear down Poison- and Ghost-type Lee checks like Garbodor or WispHex Rotom. (flat out beating Golbat, Slowbro, Qwilfish and Vileplume; Winning the matchup vs Spiritomb is also notable but you never see that thing outside of low ladder, like come on) Most notable of all, however, is that Ice Cream 2HKOes Physically defensive Mega Audino (Granbull and Aromatisse too but those aren't nearly as common).

Overall, good mon to pair with Vanilluxe.

Last edited:

Martin

OK I was hoping activity would be a little higher than this.

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Probably the best switch-ins for Rotom-C other than Togedemaru are fat Grass-types like Vileplume. By carrying Vanilluxe in the back, you are able to capitalise on the fact that Rotom-C baits them out and gets Vanilluxe in on them with Volt Switch; same applies to Guzzlord. It also appreciates Vanilluxe's ability to bait out Togedemaru with Hidden Power Ground, and the two of them are able to help each other overwhelm shared checks, namely including specially bulky Fire-types like Incineroar.

Last edited:

Martin

Extending this to Saturday; can i plz get more than two subs ;;; I'll do voting instead of subjective winners too just 'cause i feel like this forum's small enough to warrant it.

Delphox @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind

Vanilluxe supports Delphox by being able to remove walls that threaten it like Slowbro, Vaporeon, and Druddigon while removing offensive threats to the CM set like Guzzlord and Samurott. Delphox also supports vanilluxe by being able to remove Hariyama Cryogonal and Sneasel with colbur so Vanilluxe can clean easier

Quick post sorry if it's trash

Last edited:
Druddigon is an excellent partner for Vanilluxe.
It resists strong fire attacks and moderately powerful phyiscal attacks, while spreading paralysis and stealth rock. Vanilluxe appreciates speed control, as its middling speed gives it problems vs offense. Entry hazards help to weaken Vanilluxe's checks.
Set:
Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Glare
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Punch

Martin

Didn't update last night because I was waiting for a tiebreaker vote, and we got one so yay!

Winner:
by Martin

I will sort out sample posts archive stuff next week when I hopefully have a larger pool of posts to look at.

Week 2: Calm Mind Delphox

Delphox @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Grass Knot

Submission period will end on Sunday evening unless something comes up.

Guzzlord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 196 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave

Specs Guzzlord forms a nasty wallbreaking core with Delphox, as it can pivot on the many bulky waters Deplhox detests, such as Slowbro and Vaporeon, and use them to fire off strong Draco Meteors and Dark Pulses, weakening special tanks early game for Delphox later on. On the flip side, Delphox typing allows it to offensively check the fighting and ice types that Jim's weak to.

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion

Hitmonlee @ Choice Scarf / Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge / Mach Punch

Hitmonlee can help Delphox deal with Pokemon that walls Delphox like Guzzlord, Houndoom and Miltank, can get rid of hazards with Rapid Spin and also can check Sneasel that may come in to trap a weakened Delphox.

Reactions: hs
11/10 too lazy to pull up a sprite

Mismagius @ Ghostium Z/ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt

Dazzling Gleam is really important to lure in dragons aka Guzzlord and Druddigon (and Drampa to some degree). This is a threatening offensive core, granted it's very prone to being pursuit trapped.

Last edited:

Martin

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Probably the best switch-ins for Rotom-C other than Togedemaru are fat Grass-types like Vileplume. By carrying Delphox in the back, you are able to capitalise on the fact that Rotom-C baits them out and gets it in on them with Volt Switch. It also shares a number of checks like Guzzlord and Incineroar, the former of which can be lured by Delphox should it choose to carry Dazzling Gleam, while Delphox is also able to help take advantage of Togedemaru with aggressive double switches.

Last edited:

Martin

One vote, and I even left it open for an extra 12 hours... *sigh* I guess I win again...

Round 3: Shell Smash Omastar

Omastar @ Waterium Z / White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim / Weak Armour
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass

Closes on Sunday again.

One vote, and I even left it open for an extra 12 hours... *sigh* I guess I win again...
Sorry dad :(

Virizion @ Rockium Z / Psychium Z / Lum Berry (Lum if Oma's using a Z-Move)
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge / Zen Headbutt

Virizion makes for a good partner for Omastar, being able to threaten some of Omastar's checks, namely bulky water types, while potentially being able to lure Vileplume with Shattered Psyche. Virizion can also offensively check grass types like Sceptile and Rotom-C, mons Omastar fears the most. In return, Omastar can set up on mons that threaten to revenge kill Virizi, including Sneasel and Emboar.

Last edited:
Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Air Slash/ Dazzling Gleam
- Heat Wave

forces sneasel to pursuit trap/ delphox to potentially lock into a fire move -> gives omastar set up opportunities

Last edited:

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
@ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonlight
- Sleep Powder

Vileplume basically covers all the weaknesses that Omastar has that can threaten it, Fighting, Electric, and Grass types, which can disable Omastar's ability to set up. For example: Emboar, Hitmonlee, Rotom-Mow, Rotom, Sceptile, and Virizion. All of these Pokemon (for the most part) dislike Vileplume. This also applies for Emboar as long as they don't win the 50/50. While Plume doesn't usually kill these Pokemon, it forces them out, which gives another opportunity for you to get Omastar in to sweep. The potential to Burn, Sleep, or Paralyze with Effect Spore is also nice, which can prevent the Fighting Pokemon from causing trouble to Omastar.

Martin

Delphox @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Psychic / Psyshock / Dazzling Gleam

CM+Grassium Z 'Phox is capable of luring+consistently eliminating stuff like Slowking and Vaporeon to allow for Omastar to not have them sitting in the way of a sweep. It also creates setup opportunities for Omastar off of stuff like Sneasel traps and whatnot. Rlly fun core imo.

Last edited:

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Memento

Whimsicott helps to deal with fat water types that can deal with Omastar and has Memento support for possibly open up a door for Omastar Shell Smashing. Similarly to how Barbaracle + Whimsicott worked, it can also make revenge killers like Houndoom, Emboar and Sneasel stay locked on a move that Omastar can set up on (Fire Blast from Houndoom, Flare Blitz from Emboar and Icicle Crash from Sneasel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)