Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

I suppose Corphish is at least a tiny bit draconic-looking, while Lotad's only connection to the move is that its evolution dances.
I guess. Reframing the question, why doesn't Ludicolo get Dragon Dance somehow? Although he'd probably prefer Quiver Dance, and he's about equally suited for both. What do you think is harder to pretend to dance as, a bug or a dragon?

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I guess. Reframing the question, why doesn't Ludicolo get Dragon Dance somehow? Although he'd probably prefer Quiver Dance, and he's about equally suited for both. What do you think is harder to pretend to dance as, a bug or a dragon?
Because Ludicolo is a big, silly duck man thing. He probably doesn't have the internal focus and seriousness of other Dragon Dance users. Things like Tyranitar and Gyarados and Charizard are terrifying creatures with access to enormous power. Ludicolo could play trumpet in a mariachi band.

Because Ludicolo is a big, silly duck man thing. He probably doesn't have the internal focus and seriousness of other Dragon Dance users. Things like Tyranitar and Gyarados and Charizard are terrifying creatures with access to enormous power. Ludicolo could play trumpet in a mariachi band.
Fair point. Stepping alway from Ludicolo, how strange is it that of these two dancing moves, the bug one is much more exclusive?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Speaking of dance, I don't think Jynx learns any dance despite it's been said to dance in all 3 canons (anime, games, manga)
I mean, although she learns Rain Dance... but Rain dance isn't a "dance" in Japanese.
Rain dance's Japanese name is just "call for rain" or something like that.

I'm surprised that she doesn't learn Teeter dance/ swords dance.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Dragon Dance Corphish: My guess that it maybe gets it since it can simply make sure of it. I looked around and could find nothing relating crayfish/lobsters to either dragons or dancing (not even for a mating ritual). My only other explanation is that it and its evolution are very dominate Pokemon in their environments; they're not afraid to show they're the boss and will challenge and throw out any Pokemon that share their waters. This attitude you could say is similar to a dragon's.

Dance, Ludicolo, Dance: Maybe because the type of dance Ludicolo does isn't on that can so easily change to the dance of dragons (or insects?). Ludicolo has an impulsion to dance, sometimes it can't help itself. That tells me the dance it does is something maybe genetic and not learned, and if that's the case it maybe doesn't have a choice what style it wants to dance.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Speaking of dance, I don't think Jynx learns any dance despite it's been said to dance in all 3 canons (anime, games, manga)
I mean, although she learns Rain Dance... but Rain dance isn't a "dance" in Japanese.
Rain dance's Japanese name is just "call for rain" or something like that.

I'm surprised that she doesn't learn Teeter dance/ swords dance.
I think the point is Jynx sucks at dancing, it only learns Rain Dance because it dances and everyone else cries

Dance, Ludicolo, Dance: Maybe because the type of dance Ludicolo does isn't on that can so easily change to the dance of dragons (or insects?). Ludicolo has an impulsion to dance, sometimes it can't help itself. That tells me the dance it does is something maybe genetic and not learned, and if that's the case it maybe doesn't have a choice what style it wants to dance.
That really gets to the question of how much TMs, HMs, Egg moves and Move tutors really alter a Pokemon's preexisting abilities. We know Ludicolo's dancing can be altered depending on it's genes (It gets Teeter Dance as an egg move) but are Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance just a brig too far? It's in the right egg group to get both of them (From Dratini and Masquerain respectively).

Geodude line + Flamethrower how?
Why does (s)Hitmonchan not get Sucker Punch?
Why
does Luvdisc exist get Mud Sport and/or Supersonic?
Why is Rock Smash a legitimate move an HM available to Gulpin?
Why am i bolding things so much fine ill stop now

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Geodude line + Flamethrower how?
Why does (s)Hitmonchan not get Sucker Punch?
Why
does Luvdisc exist get Mud Sport and/or Supersonic?
Why is Rock Smash a legitimate move an HM available to Gulpin?
Why am i bolding things so much fine ill stop now
Fiery Rocks: Maybe its a reference to volcanic rocks and/or how rocks are able to contain heat for a while?
Surprise Attack: Sucker Punch's Japanese name is "Surprise Attack". It's also why its power is not increase by Iron Fist.
Love Hurts: Luvdisc exists to mine Heart Scales off of learns those moves to remind you that love can be dirty (bow chicka bow wow) and confusing (with lots of yelling).
Smashing Time: Rock Smash is made to be an early game move an HM because having to smash through a rock was a logical roadblock - learnable by Gulpin because I imagine it probably dissolves the rock a bit making it weak enough for it to smash. When you're a Pokemon you gotta make do with the naturally abilities given to you.

Corphish: The Chinese word for lobster (longxia) literally means "Dragon Shrimp". There is also a similar reason that Mega Ampharos is Electric/Dragon -- Ampharos's Japanese name (Denryu, meaning electric current) sounds exactly the same as the Japanese phrase for Electric Dragon (Den Ryu). Though that being said, GameFreak needs to make an Electric/Fire Levitate Mega Ampharos for the English pun.

I'll give a few here:
Shroomish used Focus Punch!
Pelipper used Shock Wave!
Dugtrio used Slash!

There's also the humor of evolutions who lose their tail still using Iron Tail (Alakazam, Primeape, Blissey)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'll give a few here:
Shroomish used Focus Punch!
Pelipper used Shock Wave!
Dugtrio used Slash!

There's also the humor of evolutions who lose their tail still using Iron Tail (Alakazam, Primeape, Blissey)
Already covered a lot of those.

Also Diglett and Dugtrio do(es) have claws, they're just hidden underground.

I've been considering this mystery for a while now, and looking at Dusknoir's truly singular anatomy I have come to a rather interesting conclusion: Dusknoir is actually an armless primatial androphagal ectoform, and what we percieve as its head is actually a vestigal beardlike protrusion. In fact, the illustrations of Dusknoir actually show it floating upside down, for no reason other than it looks cooler that way. In reality, Dusknoir lives and moves like this:

Considering its proportions and the structure of its hair tuft and jagged jaws, it's possible Dusknoir may be some sort of ghostly emanation of some poor Darmanitan.
Maybe it's because I've been watching a Kingdom Hearts 2 LP, but this makes Dusknoir look like a concept for a heartless.

What I'm wondering is what defines a Pokemon getting Hyper Voice.

I can accept something like Exploud, where Sound is its thing, or Salamence, which is huge and intimidating and probably has a loud roar. However, two of the Pokemon most famous in the competitive game right now are Sylveon and Gardevoir. Nothing about Eevee (the form that gets the move first) seems like it's particularly cacophonic or ridiculously loud in any way, and Ralts in most depictions seems more like it tries to come off as non-threatening (Growl's original name was something like that) or escape battles (Teleport), so being able to shout so loud it functions as an injuring defense mechanism seems weird.

Gardevoir only makes it stranger because the point of it is to look elegant. I could understand something like Disarming Voice or Sing, things that feel hypnotic or manipulative like a Siren's Song, but Hyper Voice, the only correlation I could make would be if Gardevoir could hit a high note like an Opera singer.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
What I'm wondering is what defines a Pokemon getting Hyper Voice.

I can accept something like Exploud, where Sound is its thing, or Salamence, which is huge and intimidating and probably has a loud roar. However, two of the Pokemon most famous in the competitive game right now are Sylveon and Gardevoir. Nothing about Eevee (the form that gets the move first) seems like it's particularly cacophonic or ridiculously loud in any way, and Ralts in most depictions seems more like it tries to come off as non-threatening (Growl's original name was something like that) or escape battles (Teleport), so being able to shout so loud it functions as an injuring defense mechanism seems weird.

Gardevoir only makes it stranger because the point of it is to look elegant. I could understand something like Disarming Voice or Sing, things that feel hypnotic or manipulative like a Siren's Song, but Hyper Voice, the only correlation I could make would be if Gardevoir could hit a high note like an Opera singer.
Since the Eevee and the Ralts family get Hyper Voice via Move Tutor I wouldn't consider it too odd getting it since a lot of Pokemon can learn Hyper Voice that way.

What I would like to know how the Ralts family, Mr. Mime, Cleffa, Togetic, Mismagius, and Meowstic are able to use Magical Leaf. Sure they could use their powers to lift leaves up, but if there's no leaves around how does it create them? Are they just made of energy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 5)