Pokémon Picross General Discussion

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Seeing as it is out in Japan and the rest of the world is getting it this Thursday (or Friday in AU/NZ if you listen to Bulbapedia), I figured I would put up an official thread for this.

General Information
Pokémon Picross is a Free to Play, Pay to Win (yes, another one of those...) game where the objective is to complete nonogram puzzles in order capture Pokémon and whatnot. The name is a portmanteau of Picture and Crossword and there are apparently over 300 puzzles in the game. The game requires 732 blocks, or just under 93 MB to download.

Gameplay
Think Voltorb Flip, but instead of dealing with coins, you are trying to create pictures, exactly like a nonogram puzzle. Each puzzle has a grid of squares and the objective is to shade in squares / cross out squares you do not want to shade in to make a picture. Like in a nonogram puzzle, each row and column have numbers which hint to you how many squares in the solution on that row and column are shaded in. Unlike Voltorb Flip however, the hints are done differently as a number indicates how many consecutive squares in that row / column are shaded and multiple numbers will indicate that there is a break in the shaded squares, so for example, a row that says "2 5" hints that there are two consecutive shaded squares then there are five consecutive shaded squares elsewhere on the row. Generally you also have an arbitrary time period to complete a puzzle to add urgency to the game.

When a puzzle is completed, you get that Pokémon, who has a variant of 1 of 12 different skills which are designed to help you complete later puzzles. When you use their skill, they get tired and they end up having to recharge over an arbitrary amount of time. You can have up to five support Pokémon at a time.

The game also has an energy gauge which is given to you at the game's second stage that makes every move you make burn one energy and each move takes one minute to recover energy.

This video from GameXPlain gives a visual demonstration of the first 30 minutes of the game.

The Pay2Win Aspect
Like the other freemium games, this has a pay2win aspect. In this game, it is in the form of Picrites. Picrites can be used to allow players to access new areas, speed up the recovery of tired non-legendary and non-mythical Pokémon's skill, and increase the energy gauge. Like Pokémon Rumble World though, this game has a paycap which only allows you to buy up to 5,000 Picrites (which one done, you can later redeem Picrites in batches of 1,000 a la Rumble World). If you max out your energy gauge by spending Picrites though, your energy gauge becomes infinite, removing the whole free-to-play aspect of the game in the process.

--------------------

So yeah I think I have covered most of the general stuff though some bits might be wrong (I am going by Serebii/Bulbapedia so yeah). What do people think of this game? Who is going to try out this game? What strategies do you have to maximise enjoyment? Anything else?

But yeah this is a general discussion thread pertaining to Pokémon Picross. Go nuts as long as you stay on topic.

Last edited:
The only reason I'm somewhat excited for this is because it kind of reminds me of the cancelled Game Boy Color title. But since I already know its another free to play/pay to win game, screw it.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I decided to download the game to see how long I could run free. I lasted a few hours. Unless you cough up the money to buy 5k Picrites ($39 AUD), free players are not going to progress far at all.

I mean with Pokémon Shuffle it is possible to do it without paying a cent in a reasonable amount of time, especially if you grind the hell out of Meowth. In Pokémon Rumble World, you can go through most of the game without having to pay (I think I made it to the Dark Emperor mission before paying out there). In Pokémon Picross however, the "demo before shelling out money to buy the full game" philosophy used in PRW is used here except taken up to eleven; you will probably only get through 4-5 areas before progress slows to a crawl because the Picrite rewards after the tutorials is abysmal relative to the rising cost to get to the next area. At least once you pay out, you can pretty much get free Picrites at the drop of a hat.

But yeah unless you are willing to shell out the money, I would not recommend playing this game free at all unless you have Jedi-like patience with regards to progress. Even then, there is probably a cheaper Picross game elsewhere and this is pretty much the same as those except with Pokémon and more puzzles than most.

I will play the game out to completion though because Picross puzzles are a new experience for me (plus it gives me something else to do other than play Shuffle) and whatnot but yeah. The Pay2Win is even more omnipresent in this game than in the previous ones. :|

Can I get some clarifications on the pay-to-win aspects?
So basically we need to either pay or wait a very long time for new puzzles?
And even if I am infinitely skillful in solving the puzzles I can't finish the game without buying picrites?

even if I am infinitely skillful in solving the puzzles I can't finish the game without buying picrites?
Not necessarily. There is a "daily challenge" aspect in which you can earn free Picrites at a very slow rate. It's sorta like how visitors in Rumble World give you diamonds, only it seems a lot slower to me.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There were some major flaws with this game

- There were some instances where it's touch-only controls and some instances where it's button-only controls, and nothing to indicate it until you try and fail. Also, when you press buttons the screen says "please touch", meaning that the game is registering button inputs, but tells you you're doing the wrong thing anyway. Really dumb mechanic, especially since buttons still make perfect sense in the touch-only instances (like map select). Bad user interface.

- The stamina system to enforce pay-to-play. I would understand if they limit the number of puzzles you can do within a certain time frame, but the system limits the number of tiles you can fill in. Seriously makes you wonder who in the dev team can be so dumb to come up with such an idea that would only infuriate the player.

Overall shit game. It's inferior to Picross e, terrible microtransaction system, and terrible user interface. I doubt they even playtested this game.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
There were some major flaws with this game

- There were some instances where it's touch-only controls and some instances where it's button-only controls, and nothing to indicate it until you try and fail. Also, when you press buttons the screen says "please touch", meaning that the game is registering button inputs, but tells you you're doing the wrong thing anyway. Really dumb mechanic, especially since buttons still make perfect sense in the touch-only instances (like map select). Bad user interface.

- The stamina system to enforce pay-to-play. I would understand if they limit the number of puzzles you can do within a certain time frame, but the system limits the number of tiles you can fill in. Seriously makes you wonder who in the dev team can be so dumb to come up with such an idea that would only infuriate the player.

Overall shit game. It's inferior to Picross e, terrible microtransaction system, and terrible user interface. I doubt they even playtested this game.
Wow.
I hope they fix it.

But it really is so not up to standard. I'm shocked.

I downloaded it on Sunday.
The waiting time is horrible and the cost to new areas/blocks are really pissing me off. The game is so oriented P2W that it's really disgusting.
My user experience is a bit meh, there is a lot of optimizations (too many areas, some mistakes could be made because the puzzle are too small), but I also need practice.

I really like the concept of Picross (I've discovered it with this game).

There was a legendary in an area (Celebi), I used an online solver to help me on two columns because I didn't know how much that legendary was rare or not ... I should feel ashamed ... but not :D

Well, I've been enjoying Rumble World (having not finished it yet) and I'm re-learning to enjoy Shuffle, after a bad experience in the first competition I was part of.

That said, I'm sad Picross is as stupid as you are saying it is. I would like to know first hand, but I can't because, apparently, Nintendo of America did something for the first time since the eShop is around: the game is not available in the Brazilian eShop. That's so stupid. I mean, every other game has been released here at the same time, since we're basically a version of American eShop, but with apparent BRL as the currency. This time, I can't find it either by searching or by using the QR Code.

I downloaded it on Sunday.
The waiting time is horrible and the cost to new areas/blocks are really pissing me off. The game is so oriented P2W that it's really disgusting.
My user experience is a bit meh, there is a lot of optimizations (too many areas, some mistakes could be made because the puzzle are too small), but I also need practice.

I really like the concept of Picross (I've discovered it with this game).

There was a legendary in an area (Celebi), I used an online solver to help me on two columns because I didn't know how much that legendary was rare or not ... I should feel ashamed ... but not :D
If you want a much slower game for Picross for your 3DS that's cheaper, Mario Picross for the GB is out and I've been playing it a lot since I got it as part of Club Nintendo closing.

I'll just say...the whole stamina system which allows you to just continually make mistakes without telling you pisses me off. It's nothing like EVERY OTHER Picross game I ever played. That's why I kind of gave up on it.

Ok I finish almost completely the 5 first zones and no more Picrites for new areas ... The cost is VERY high ... :( F2P ... P2W :(

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So I was playing this this morning briefly and it seemed pretty easy to me. Once you've got the patterns down and your brain is in gear there does not seem to be any "upwards" of skill involved? I'm still pretty early in the game (done maybe first two areas) and I'm already pretty bored.

Shame that the above posts are echoing similar statements really. Mostly just a cash in for younger players with a bit if puzzle aspect thrown in. Why are people developing these when there are much better ways to use the Pokemon IP? :(

Not sure if I want to download this... at all. From what I've read here it's absolutely terrible for those who don't shell out the money.

I've never bought in-game currency, except once when I was little with a $15 apple giftcard.
Yeah.
*facepalm*

But I still might download it to at least try.

Not sure if I want to download this... at all. From what I've read here it's absolutely terrible for those who don't shell out the money.

I've never bought in-game currency, except once when I was little with a $15 apple giftcard.
Yeah.
*facepalm*

But I still might download it to at least try.
At the very least it IS free and it's entertaining until you hit the time walls hard.

So I was playing this this morning briefly and it seemed pretty easy to me. Once you've got the patterns down and your brain is in gear there does not seem to be any "upwards" of skill involved? I'm still pretty early in the game (done maybe first two areas) and I'm already pretty bored.

Shame that the above posts are echoing similar statements really. Mostly just a cash in for younger players with a bit if puzzle aspect thrown in. Why are people developing these when there are much better ways to use the Pokemon IP? :(
You have less and less help in the next stages, you have to make assumptions, try and come back

Eugh... I'm terrible at Picross. Don't think I'll continue playing, my best way to solve the tutorial puzzles was clicking every square at random.

I've solved puzzles like these in old 90s crossword newspapers so having the super Pokemon abilities makes this pretty easy for me... Not sure when people start feeling the necessity to pay yet; I've always turned the console off when I had to go to work.

I've solved puzzles like these in old 90s crossword newspapers so having the super Pokemon abilities makes this pretty easy for me... Not sure when people start feeling the necessity to pay yet; I've always turned the console off when I had to go to work.
The problem comes where unlocking the next area costs progressively more and more and more picarites. It's easy to run out pretty quickly even if you make all the challenges for each level. I'm running out at around Level 5. I don't think I can unlock the next level.

Eh, it's okay. It's fun, but I don't play it enough to even worry about spending money on it. And even if I had money on my 3DS, it will likely be spent on games I want or on Smash Bros.

The problem comes where unlocking the next area costs progressively more and more and more picarites. It's easy to run out pretty quickly even if you make all the challenges for each level. I'm running out at around Level 5. I don't think I can unlock the next level.
Sounds a lot like Pokemon Rumble World then.

I paid for Battle Trozei, and I spent some money on Rumble World. I've spent about 30 BRL on the game, and I got around 2k picrites. I honestly don't believe I'll need anything more for a while, and when it happens, I'll see. I'm enjoying this game a lot, and I mean, a lot.

Maximum energy bar and 5 mons help a let.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)