Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

Wireless trading and battling. Does that mean over the internet or just to your buddy sitting next to you?

Then that function is close to useless to me. Too bad :/
And this is generally going to be true of most players. Going further, what percentage of their customer base would have access to two 3DS systems, just to be able to evolve their gravelers and kadabras, or to get both a mankey and a meowth? I know that this is what people who played the originals had to go through, I was one of them, but through the games from Gen IV and onward, Game Freak has bred a culture of expectations that doesn't have to involve borrowing your brother's Game Boy, or requiring you to have direct access to two compatible games.

Restricting the communications of these games to local wireless only would not only contradict their philosophy of encouraging player interactions, but it would also put off many of the newer players who actually do expect to be able to battle and trade their pokemon on a global basis, as well as several older players who have become accustomed to the current easily interactive culture.

In addition to this, they already have the capability to add online interactions, and they've had this technology for the past decade. It would be more damaging for the sales and reputation of the games in the long run, I think, to not implement the very basics of communication to the Cable Club, something that they already have to change, than it would be to leave the games as isolated as they were twenty years ago, only for the sake of nostalgia.

Overall, the games will see much better sales if they actually give a reason to get the games beyond simple nostalgia. Far more people will buy the games if there is an actual reason to buy them, and for most pokemon games, much of the purpose of playing comes through player interactions. Isolating these games would, for most of the people who do buy them, simply give the end goal of catching Mewtwo and getting that "Uber Special Level 100 Charazard", before they would eventually be left to gather dust. This isn't a smart business plan for games that were openly designed with the concept of player interaction in mind, and when the avenues for those interactions are wider than ever.

I mean... it's a virtual console re-release. It's not supposed to be this really big thing; whatever money GF makes from it won't matter too much as long as it's halfway decent. A lot of people have memories of playing on their own and while being without online is a bit of a bummer, it doesn't exactly make the game worthless or unplayable lol. When it's going to be around a fiver people who want it anyway won't exactly be going "No online? Fuck this, I don't care about a game I loved as a kid".

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I mean... it's a virtual console re-release. It's not supposed to be this really big thing; whatever money GF makes from it won't matter too much as long as it's halfway decent. A lot of people have memories of playing on their own and while being without online is a bit of a bummer, it doesn't exactly make the game worthless or unplayable lol. When it's going to be around a fiver people who want it anyway won't exactly be going "No online? Fuck this, I don't care about a game I loved as a kid".
I personally won't buy it if it isn't online. *waves*

Reactions: JES
Online isn't really a concern for me since if I want to play or trade with people online I'll do it on the recent gens. The flip side of that being that I'll only get a copy of Blue (or whatever) if my IRL friend is also interested in it, for the sheer novelty of having to trade to get things like Alakazam. It's not really something I intend to enjoy by myself, but rather a form of entertainment shared between two close friends. If you couldn't trade at all I'd have no interest in it since I'm viewing it as a kind of social activity more than a game I want to play.

No, I agree, offline communications wouldn't make the games worthless, but you can't say that it wouldn't put people off, when they can already play pokemon with the online games that they already have. My point was that Game Freak has already developed a culture of players who don't expect to have to play on their own, and who do expect to be able to communicate with everyone and anyone who would let them, and they've been promoting this for almost the past decade.

When they have the technology to do it, and they have to make the alterations anyway, it is the better business plan to at the very least allow online trading and battling, because at the end of the day, they want more money, not less. I'm not saying they'll add a GTS, or wonder trading, or o-powers, because I do think that those would be impactful alterations, I just think that they'll do online trading and battling. It's nostalgia for all us, but it's business for them overall, and the one major change that they are making is already relevant to online communications in the first place.

I know it is a longshot at best, but I'm hoping they'll modify the games by adding in genders, allowing breeding (how else are we supposed to "catch 'em all"?), giving them Wi-Fi compatibility, and giving Pokémon Gen 1 moves that they now know (such as Charizard being able to learn Fly in the Red version, which wasn't possible). And would a Move Relearner and Deleter be too much to ask for?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Go play the remakes then. If you want features from the newer games then play the newer game; the point of playing the originals is to play the originals.

The novelty of playing these games outside of pure nostalgia is because they're different from the later titles. If you take the differences away, all you're left with is inferior FireRed and LeafGreen. I personally would love to have access to a tool that maxes out DVs and/or EVs for PVP, but that's unlikely and I have Showdown for that anyway.

Last edited:
Okay, people complaining about potential lack of online features: you're embarrassing yourself. This isn't a major release, just something for nostalgia sake or for those who are interested in how the series began. Especially the former. Hell, I didn't own Red, Blue, or Yellow until I got them off of eBay for fifteen dollars combined AFTER I played Platinum. I didn't get them because I wanted to battle and trade online, I got them to play through the original games. I wanted to have a blast of nostalgia. That's exactly what Nintendo is capitalizing on.
Also, for the first time ever, we will have a main series title with the ability to legally have multiple save files thanks to a combination of VC title's natural ability to have save states as well as the Save-Data Backup function on the HOME page. That is amazing.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I couldn't give a damn about what they add/remove/leave the same with these just as long as they speed it up just a little bit, I remember going back and playing on my old GBC recently and compared to the newer games / emulators the originals are so slow

I'm dreading using the Boxes 0_0 I'm so used to RSE's version, and that autosave is really annoying :| If it's buggy on top of that... *shudder* I'll just have to avoid them where possible.

I'm dreading using the Boxes 0_0 I'm so used to RSE's version, and that autosave is really annoying :| If it's buggy on top of that... *shudder* I'll just have to avoid them where possible.
But then we can clone! (if the glitches are still there and that one isn't screwed up by the new saving junk of the 3DS)

Come to think of it, glitches that involve turning off the system'll be a little harder to pull off. With the Gameboy it was a simple instantaneous flick of a switch; whereas with the 3DS there's no way of turning it off instantly - it always takes a few seconds until it goes to the sleep mode/turn off screen.

Come to think of it, glitches that involve turning off the system'll be a little harder to pull off. With the Gameboy it was a simple instantaneous flick of a switch; whereas with the 3DS there's no way of turning it off instantly - it always takes a few seconds until it goes to the sleep mode/turn off screen.
What about going to the home screen? Couldn't that act similarly to turning the game off?

There IS a reset button on most VC games that could work as a turning off and on again. In fact, to make matters better, I believe while it's confirming it for you, it even freezes the whole process.

Then again, one more thing involving the save ones. I wonder if saving and stuff will be done much faster since we aren't on a slower system now.

I know it is a longshot at best, but I'm hoping they'll modify the games by adding in genders, allowing breeding (how else are we supposed to "catch 'em all"?), giving them Wi-Fi compatibility, and giving Pokémon Gen 1 moves that they now know (such as Charizard being able to learn Fly in the Red version, which wasn't possible). And would a Move Relearner and Deleter be too much to ask for?
I don't know if they would be willing to modify the game to that extent if the premise was only to put the games to a newer console. If these were problems, the only thing I could suggest is that the GSC would follow to provide for the options that these games would lack excluding the Wi-Fi compatibility which nobody knows if they would be accounted for.

I'm actually pretty excited for this. Me and my bro are planning on getting Red and Blue, and capturing all 151 pokemon. I hope they at least keep the Mew glitch in there, though I'd be fine if they took away the Missing.No Glitch.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm, in addition to what will they do with Mew (will they actually do an Event or will they allow you to unlock it within the game, like a reward for catching all 150 Pokemon) I'm wondering if they'll maybe include an easter egg of Missingno. Like they'll probably fix the glitches, but it's a shame to lose being able to battle something like the Pokemon Tower Ghost, Kabutops & Aerodactyl Skeleton, and just a mass of pixels. It would be neat if they included them as secret bosses, but probably not.

Also would be fun to do things like actually have the SS Anne return and letting us go to the Truck (probably won't have a Mew, but maybe something else neat like a Max Elixer (or if they really want to troll maybe have someone yell at you for messing around the truck saying they're not going to find anything under it)).

Eh, I doubt they'll change the game much. The most I expect is removing some glitches, fixing sprites, etc. I just hope all the battle based glitches get fixed, it's annoying to have to jump through so many hoops in battle. Can't use Focus Energy, Hyper Beam doesn't recharge if it fainted the opponent, Leech SeedXToxic , etc.

I think at this point talking about glitches being removed or anything being added amounts to basically wishlisting. It's literally a virtual console release with nothing about it edited rather than a hardware bypass to allow trading/battling that doesn't actually effect anything in the game.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
So of course I'm excited about this even if I think RBY themselves were shitty glitch-fest games. It's really just the whole thing with nostalgia, though (I own Red on cart but whatever)

So of course, there's a whole lot of discussion about the Game corner and whatnot, but honestly I really don't think there's anything to worry about. Sure, they could go back and make the slot machines inoperable like they did for the European release of Pokemon Platinum, but certain TMs (Hyper Beam) and certain Pokemon (Porygon) are unobtainable in RBY without coins and I don't think anyone's going to stand for saving up copious amounts of in-game money just to get Porygon (you would need 200,000P just to be able to get enough coins to get Porygon.) Then there's also the whole argument about retroactively editing an old work of art to where it is not the original game we played back then... You know, kind of like George Lucas's millions of edits to the original Star Wars trilogy? Even if the games can't be grandfathered due to age, there is precedent both for Virtual Console re-releases receiving higher ratings than their original releases (EarthBound was rated K-A, the predecessor to the ESRB's E rating, in its original release but rated T on its VC re-release) and for Pokemon games rated higher than E (every Pokemon Rumble game is rated E10+, however I am not sure if there is precedent for any Pokemon game receiving a 12 certificate from PEGI) so I honestly think they'd let the ESRB and PEGI ratings of the games go up before they made any edits to the game. It's not like an increased rating would put any meaningful dent in profits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)