Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

European versions

Also, assuming the file size will be the same as in Japan (which... I doubt will not be the case), the games will be 11MB. That's 88 3DS blocks.
Whoa, the games are around 1 MB in size. FR & LG are 11 MB. What would they do with all that extra space?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It may have something to do with the additions of wireless trading and serial code functionality.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Version Revision:
Maybe if they release Green here they'll do the opposite of what they did with the Japanese Green, use Japanese Red & Green's sprites but use Japanese Blue's script and Pokemon locations. :P

What about Europe?
Well aside from translating the game into that country's language all international versions are based on the English's Red & Blue. Now this may not be the issue for other Asian countries such as China and Korea may get a translated version of the Japanese versions (if I recall these countries never got a translation of the original games).

Well, each of the games have a built in emulator too. All VC games are like that. As for why you couldn't just update your system to get the functionalities of the emulator and then only download the ROMs? idk

Well, for reference, Mega Man V and Kirby's Dream Land 2 take up 44 3DS Blocks on my DS. I'm guessing the serial code and wireless functions are doubling the file space here.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Version Revision:
Maybe if they release Green here they'll do the opposite of what they did with the Japanese Green, use Japanese Red & Green's sprites but use Japanese Blue's script and Pokemon locations. :P

Well aside from translating the game into that country's language all international versions are based on the English's Red & Blue. Now this may not be the issue for other Asian countries such as China and Korea may get a translated version of the Japanese versions (if I recall these countries never got a translation of the original games).
W other Asians always play the Japanese versions

Nintendo does not like China

Version Revision:

W other Asians always play the Japanese versions

Nintendo does not like China

Last edited by a moderator:

Fake Melo

Banned deucer.
I'm personally looking forward to this, as my Gameboy is long gone and I don't have any plans to buy another it will be great to just buy a cheap download and get to play it on VC. Like some others in this thread, while others may disagree I really hope they leave the game untouched in terms of game mechanics & glitches. Obviously we are going to see some changes with the new WiFi battling system, perhaps they may add a new city post game with a friend safari or something, changes like this I wouldn't mind as much. But if actual gameplay is altered I think I'd be a bit turned off by it, if we wanted a patched version we'd want a remake not a new release claiming to be authentic.

Some part of me REALLY wants the Wifi battling system, and some part of me REALLY wants to reject the idea. Either way, I'm REALLY excited for the glitches. (Playing my Pokemon Emerald, while waiting for the release. Also, good thing I'm Japanese, I can choose between Red Green, Blue, and the Pikachu versions, so I pretty much have three versions to choose from. Planning to get Pikachu and Red, I guess. Also, Pikachu is a stupid name for a game. Pikachu is my least favorite Pokemon, lel) I hope they just add a "play in the Original GameBoy or GameBoy Color" option.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That would suck. Minimize Chansey new meta.

Also I don't think we ever got confirmation that wireless battling was going to be a thing.
Well if they're going to have Wifi trading I don't see why not. Battling and trading are two of the core concepts of Pokemon, in Gen I that's the only interaction there is.

Interesting bit - Serebii just posted that it will be possible to get Mew in these VC releases, if you get a special 2DS releasing in Japan that comes bundled with the VC game. This is in addition to a separate Gen VI serial code Mew event. No idea how the process of obtaining Mew in the VC game will work, but thought I'd just bring this up nevertheless.

Serial codes. Please read the posts above.
Wait, what? None of the posts above mention the Mew events. I'm fully aware the Gen VI Mew event is a serial code one; I was wondering about the Gen I VC Mew event which apparently will be happening at the same time but can't be a straight-up serial code since there's no interface for that in-game. Unless they add something to either the game or the game's VC startup which would be noteworthy in itself.

Apparently you'll get a 'special ticket' according to Serebii. I can only assume this activates something added from the game's menu; or maybe even the virtual console menu? It's kind of uncertain right now to say the least

Bulbapedia provided this image alongside its announcement of the same event. Japanese pre-orders will come bundled with the designer 2DS itself, as well as a collectable map of Kanto in the original style, a sticker set based on that game's mascot, and this Mew ticket, providing a serial code to be used in-game.

The existence of this ticket does mean that there will be a Mystery Gift included somewhere in the game, either at the start-up menu, or in the Cable Club; either way, it means that they do plan to hold future events. They wouldn't go through the trouble of including it just to hold a single Mew event in Japan, when they could just as easily post the Mew glitch officially; anyone who has access to Bulbapedia, Youtube, or any one of a number of Pokémon fansites could find anyway, assuming it still exists. They may not like to officially acknowledge things like glitches and leaks, but the only glitch that is absolutely more commonly known by now is Missingno, and it would be a lot less trouble to publicly acknowledge the Mew glitch as this "new" secret method of finding Mew, than it would be to include a one-time mystery gift.

This argument ignores the potential fallout that may or may not come from pointing out flaws in your own game, of course, despite the fact that they've been know for years. To do so would beg the question of why not fix them before re-releasing the games, if you knew about them, but that's a off on a tangent. The point is that we know now that Mystery Gifts will at the very least exist through serial codes. We also know that the games will at the very least have local wireless, so it isn't a large jump to say that they'll have the potential for local events as well. The thing to watch for prior to release is an event that's being held through the internet, as that would indicate global communication capabilities, which is something that that has not been confirmed as of yet.

So do we know for sure whether we will be able to send Pokemon to the next gens through PokeBank or something? Perhaps stating that the Pokemon 'traveled through the centuries' once it reaches Gen 6, similar to how Pokemon from Gen 3 travel 'through space and time' to get to Gen 6?

So do we know for sure whether we will be able to send Pokemon to the next gens through PokeBank or something? Perhaps stating that the Pokemon 'traveled through the centuries' once it reaches Gen 6, similar to how Pokemon from Gen 3 travel 'through space and time' to get to Gen 6?
It's impossible due to the code for Pokémon in RBGY and GSC being written completely differently for Pokémon in RSE to the present day. Trying to put a RBY Pokémon in XY would be the digital equivalent of trying to put a N64 Cartridge into a Wii U. Or a toaster.

It's impossible due to the code for Pokémon in RBGY and GSC being written completely differently for Pokémon in RSE to the present day. Trying to put a RBY Pokémon in XY would be the digital equivalent of trying to put a N64 Cartridge into a Wii U. Or a toaster.
Or maybe not. Are Pokemon PIDs in RBY any different from modern ones? Perhaps if they still use the same style they can easily be transferred and have natures, abilities, etc

Or maybe not. Are Pokemon PIDs in RBY any different from modern ones? Perhaps if they still use the same style they can easily be transferred and have natures, abilities, etc
It's simply how it works; if that were the case they could have been easily transferred from GSC to RSFRLGE. Unless they announce some miraculous method of putting them on Bank I really wouldn't get your hopes up.

It's simply how it works; if that were the case they could have been easily transferred from GSC to RSFRLGE. Unless they announce some miraculous method of putting them on Bank I really wouldn't get your hopes up.
So you're telling me GF couldn't update Bank to read VC RBY savefiles, read the Pokemons inside, and copy/transfer them to your Boxes using their PIDs? Even if it had a different PID they could translate the old PIDs to new formats, couldn't they?

Or is it something about the savefile?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)