Pokémon Rumble Blast!

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Pokemon Rumble Blast for the 3DS is a substantially improved game of the original fun spinoff Pokemon Rumble for the Wii.

The premise: You control a Pokemon, run around, and beat the crap out of other Pokemon. Looks simple on the surface, but there's so much customizability that I can't put the game down.

I plan on loading the OP with all sorts of tips and tricks for fellow Rumblers to enjoy.

• Endeavor is very handy for recruiting Pokemon. If the opponent has more HP than you, Endeavor deals damage equal to the difference, but otherwise, each hit deals only 1 damage. This lets you knock the opponent around until it wobbles. Then finish it off to recruit it!
  • More general recruiting tips include increasing your combo meter (20 gets you the max bonus), attacking from behind, and apparently attacking Pokemon that are inflicted with status (like paralysis).
  • Hang on to your mons that are too weak but have good moves. They'll come in handy late in the main story and beyond. They'll help you teach moves far more efficiently than the move vending machines.
  • Speaking of Pokemon with moves, if you release a password Pokemon, you can go recapture it. This effectively reduces the move school cost of moves like Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Leaf Blade, Thunder, V-Create, and others.
  • If you get a Rusty Pokemon, you can use the fountain to clean it off. It'll gain moves and a good ability. However if you don't like the ability, you can close the game (without saving!!!!!!) and restart it and try purifying it again. Handy if you know what ability you want on your Pokemon.
  • Protect is your best friend! Temporary invincibility is the only way past the hardest enemies. If you use it too often, it'll start failing. Make sure you're well away from attacks when you try to set up Protect.
  • Rumpus rooms - if the launcher is pointing left of usual, you'll get a rumpus room with four giants and infinite lackeys; if it's pointing right, you'll get the 30 Pokemon rumpus room.
  • Crazy money trick - take a Lucky+ or Lucky++ Pokemon, especially with a move that increases money drops, to the 1-4 Meadow. Find a left-facing launcher and hope that you get the Audino/Lillipup rumpus room. Let the Audinos heal you and each other, and pulverize the Lillipups for mad cash. It'll do you good to refresh the combo counter on occasion since the Lillipup toys give you much less money than the coins. This let me get to World Rank 10 in a hurry.
  • This is still a work in progress.

• Draining attacks are probably going to be first moves you stumble upon that you'll find very beneficial. In Rumble Blast, these moves restore 20%* of the damage done in health, so if you hit a cluster of enemies with a draining attack, you'll be seeing a boatload of health coming back. Drain Punch and Giga Drain are the main moves, but I've even found Leech Life useful in situations. (*In the Wii Rumble, the recovery amount was more like 5%)
  • Charging moves like Sky Attack, Fusion Bolt, Drill Run, and Megahorn are boss. Cross Chop, another move known for landing multiple hits in one use, has been substantially nerfed from Wii to 3DS.
  • Rock Wrecker bowls everything over. Just watch out for its slow charge-up time.
  • Speaking of charge-up time, moves that increase your Hit Ratio (Hone Claws and Coil) are amazing. Nothing like having your attack launch faster and do more damage too!
  • Much like I discussed above, Protect deserves an obvious mention.
  • Certain special abilities make otherwise subpar moves much more useful.
    • Steady (blocks all status changes, good or bad) makes moves that inflict bad status on you a lot better. Examples include Overheat, Close Combat, and Outrage. At high levels, Steady monsters tend to start with one of these if able. Good on Ambrella for making it easy to enjoy ability synergy more easily!
    • Adept blocks self-damage and certain bad status applied by the enemy. Obvious uses include Head Smash, Flare Blitz, and Volt Tackle, etc., and the game will provide these in a similar way to Steady. Less obvious moves to abuse include Substitute, Belly Drum, Final Gambit, and Explosion! You get the benefits without having to lose HP to use them. Keep in mind that the moves that ordinarily KO you prevent you from using a move for a few seconds, which makes Final Gambit more terrible than it already is.
  • Razor Wind is kinda fun. It sets up a barrier around you that lets you run around and damage anything you collide with. Especially lulzy on something with Dragon Dance too like Haxorus.
  • Eruption and Water Spout are fast and have great damage output.
  • Skull Bash has a built-in defense boost, handy for something that doesn't have room for a defense boosting move, an attack, AND something else or otherwise want some damage to go with their bulk.
  • Shell Smash appears weaker than Dragon Dance with the defense drop, but Shell Smash has a much lower charge time. Also there are some Shell Smashers that learn cool moves that no Dragon Dancer can learn!

• Pretty much any legendary is going to kick serious butt. You'll need all the firepower you can get for the toughest battle royales.
  • Dragonite's strong stats and gigantic movepool leave it with a lot of options. Roost, Dragon Claw, Hone Claws, Dragon Dance, Hurricane...
  • Altaria is fun with Dragon Dance and Sky Attack.
  • Serperior is the best Coil user.
  • Conkeldurr is ridiculous with Bulk Up/Drain Punch. Ridiculous.
  • Whimsicott is the easiest-to-find user of Endeavor and Giga Drain. In case you haven't noticed, I like sustainability.
  • Crustle terrorizes bosses with Hone Claws and Rock Wrecker.
  • Scrafty is okay with Dragon Dance and Drain Punch.
  • Sawsbuck is surprisingly good with Horn Leech. This is probably because draining moves are so ridiculous.
  • Volcarona's Fiery Dance is very strong, and it boosts your Attack to boot! Be careful, this Attack boost and other buffs like Protect or Morning Sun cancel each other out. Fiery Dance is so good to spam that I find Leech Life to be the best filler.
  • Torkoal, despite its low strength levels, gets fun support moves for Eruption, like Shell Smash or Skull Bash.
  • I probably have more comments if asked.
  • Arceus is broken.

Handy Resources:
Serebii's Rumble Blast Page
Serebii's Rumble Blast Pokedex
Serebii's Rumble Blast Attackdex
PS-Wiki (translated from Japanese)
#rumble on SynIRC for Pokemon Rumble chat

Have fun Rumbling!

I'm interested in the game (though there are other games that I definitely want to get first), but I'm wondering how much I will get out of it, especially in terms of hours, as Pokemon spin-offs tend to be very short. Also, how forgiving is the game with Pokemon choice? Like, can I play if any old pokemon and expect to enjoy playing with it?

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
I'm interested in the game (though there are other games that I definitely want to get first), but I'm wondering how much I will get out of it, especially in terms of hours, as Pokemon spin-offs tend to be very short. Also, how forgiving is the game with Pokemon choice? Like, can I play if any old pokemon and expect to enjoy playing with it?
Main story's about 10 hours or so, but IMO the fun really begins after you beat that.

As far as your second question goes, for the most part, you should (except for the very hardest challenges the game has to offer, or if the "any old pokemon" is something like Caterpie). I find that notion to be what really makes the game fun.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This game makes me want a 3DS.

I loved Rumble on the Wii, really want to try this out some time.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I haven't played the game, but I've seen many videos of rumble blast. I'd like to mention a few other notable things

- Arceus' Judgment is insane. It's a virtually lagless barrage of homing projectiles that can be of any type (I think it matches Arceus' type).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgrzkO_Tvu4
- Sacred Sword is fast and spammable. Protect/SS Terrakion might prove devastating.
- Shadow Force now has invincibility during "chargeup"
- Bolt Strike seems promising. Large power, tremendous range, and multiple hits with a chance to paralyze. Its startup seems slow though, so fix it with Snappy(or more), and/or Hone Claws.
- Blue Flare appears to have homing capabilities as well. I don't know how strong it is though. Definitely slower than Judgment, however.
- Adept Head Smash Archeops sounds promising.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
3DS D:

But the Wii game was awesome enough, so I can't but assume this one is even better!

I thought this was supposed to be a boring button masher?

Never actually tried the wii game, mostly because of the bad reviews. I've seen videos and all, and it never seemed that fun.

Ugh.......

Is this game worth it? What differentiates it from other pokemon games?

I am getting a load of video games this Christmas, and I don't know if I should add this to the list, if you know what I mean.

YES i was LOOKING for a central rumble blast place! serebii kinda sucks with this kinda crap

i'm world rank 4 and my lucky ++ gothitora has certainly helped me out so far :D

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
I feel with the holiday season up and coming, it's worth reviving this topic.

Rumble keeps track of a large amount of records, including damage dealt and taken. In Rumble Blast, it's possible to hit the cap of 999999 on both sides.

Things that can deal 999999 damage (this is usually to the Patrats outside Toy Town):
2700+ power Conkeldurr with Bulk Up and Focus Punch
2781 Lobber++ Crustle with Hone Claws and Rock Wrecker (Lobber increases damage the farther away from the enemy you are, so I hit the Patrat at the edge of Rock Wrecker's range)
3003 Normal Boost+ Porygon2 with Charge Beam and Giga Impact
2826 Adept Lickilicky with Belly Drum and Explosion

Things that can take 999999 damage:
The aforementioned Toy Town Patrat taken to Battle Royale EX6 (taught Swagger for insurance)
Close Combat + Swagger Growlithe caught in 1-3 Legacy Mode can take 999999 as low a level as EX1.
(EDIT: Oh lol - if you still have your original Victini, maybe you can teach it Swagger and V-Create for MASSIVE damage! Would be a waste of six V-Create Victinis plus the password one though [EDIT 2: the password one is too strong to take 999999 damage even with def down and swagger - well its power level is 10 times that of the original one])

What kinds of damage can your Pokemon toys deal or take?

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
I always wanted this game, as I have a 3ds sittng there being unused, and mostly because i'll buy any game pkmn related. I just have a question as I only played rumble wii demo. Are the mechanics basically the same?

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
I always wanted this game, as I have a 3ds sittng there being unused, and mostly because i'll buy any game pkmn related. I just have a question as I only played rumble wii demo. Are the mechanics basically the same?
Mechanics are very similar, except with more Pokemon and moves. It's similar enough that Jibaku can talk about Rumble Blast even though he only has the Wii game.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ah I loved the Wii version. My brother and I used to play it all the time, I remember Cross Chop was so killer, sad to see its been nerfed. Hm wonder if I should get a 3DS? With this and Mario Kart that choice seems to be getting easier and easier.

Ps. That Arceus video Jibaku posted is insane haha, definition of spamfest.

Love this game!!

atm im trying to get every pokemon and all i have left are a bunch of the legendaries, so ive been going through the cave in 1-3 over and over in hopes of a dialga :(

i did manage to catch every rotom forme and every letter of unown yesterday though

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ugh, the cave legends are the worst, I'm trying for a reshiram with blue flare and I can barely make it show up (just got one with fusion flare <_<) and all I keep getting are cobalions with an occasional dialga/zekrom thrown in. So yeah, for anyone who wishes to try this, do it before you release cobalion into the caves.

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
When you clear the EX-6 Team Battle, Arceus will begin to appear in Tower levels, and when you clear the EX-6 Battle Royale, Mewtwo will begin to appear in Factory levels.

If you mean "are there any harder challenges than EX-6", the answer is no.

Ok I'm bumping this thread since I don't want to make a new one.

First I really enjoyed the gameplay of this game, the battles were fun and addicting and I found myself playing for hours on end collecting cool Pokemon.

But wow did the ending to the story suck, I won't spoil the details but the final boss was absolutely pathetic, and everything about the ending made so little sense. I know that the entire of the premise was almost silly but they could have made the ending follow that theme, it was like they were trying to be cliche and unique at the same time. I was really disappointed when I beat the boss.

But now that I'm done what are some tips for the postgame? I'm always short on money and I've been recruiting a few cool Pokemon but what is the ultimate goal of it? Is it worth it or should I put this game now while I can still think of it positively?

Protect + shadow force/Roar of time/Sacred Sword giratina-o/dialga/terrakion is legendary in battle royales

Togekiss and ho-oh wreck shit with sky attack

Arceus is broken as imo

Currently at World Axle - B2F. The game has been fun so far. Would like to be able to use a Lapras or Volcarona though. When/where can I get them?

Currently at World Axle - B2F. The game has been fun so far. Would like to be able to use a Lapras or Volcarona though. When/where can I get them?
volcarona is the boss of cave area in world axle b2f
lapras appears in beach area of world axle b1f after you beat the game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)