Pokémon Snap Discussion

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
★★ Pokémon Snap Discussion ★★

Hello and welcome to the Pokémon Snap Discussion thread! In this topic, feel free to talk about anything related to this fantastic game that lies in the hearts of many N64 owners. If you haven't played this game ever, I highly recommend that you download it off the Wii Shop Channel ($10) or, better yet, purchase it authentically for Nintendo 64 (more than $10). If you haven't ever heard of this game, you best read up and get yourself a copy!

I'll post some guiding questions here, but post about whatever you want in relation to this masterpiece. Who knows, maybe if this garners enough popularity, we can set up some tournaments for best score!

• What are some of your first memories of Pokémon Snap? When did you buy this game? How old were you when you first played it? How long have you enjoyed this game?

• Which course is your favorite? We all have Pokémon we specifically enjoy taking pictures of, so which course offered the most of those Pokémon? Which course was the most creative in design? Similarly, which course had the best "hidden" picture?

• What is your best score on a picture? How did you get this perfect picture? What methods did you use? If you can, upload the image here to show us your hard work! We'll all revel in the beauty of your shot, no doubt. Similarly, what's your best score on a course?

• Are you interested in participating in a Pokémon Snap contest? If so, what kind of contests would you like to see? Would tournaments be a good idea? What about a leaderboard?

• Would you support a future Pokémon Snap game? If not, why not? If so, what would you like to see added? What features would you envision ideally? What system would this be played on?

Again, these are just some lead in questions. Talk about whatever you like in relation to this game! If this takes off, I'll definitely be starting up some tournaments and a leaderboard in this OP. So what are your thoughts? Post any them here!

oh my god I loved Pokemon Snap so much as a kid. I remember being 6 years old and playing this game at my friends house for hours. This game (a long with Pokemon stadium) is what got me into the series as a little kid. If I had to choose a favourite level it would be the one with articuno or the one with Moltres. I haven't played the game in so long I don't even remember what they were(it was probably a volcano for moltres though). If a new game or a rerelease came out i would definitely play it, not because the game was amazing but purely for nostalgia to relive the moments as a six year old :)

I also remember being really really bad at it. But I would participate in a challenge if there was one

oh my god im supposed to be making another new forum but im too excited about this thread to do that before i post here

I remember when I first played through Pokemon Snap it was one of the first games I beat without a strategy guide. I know, that's pretty lame, and it's not like it's a super challenging game, but I remember being confused about something in that course in the deserty river thing, probably involving Gyarados, that I eventually figured out, and feeling pretty good about myself. It's not like it was any real accomplishment, but it's the little things like that I accomplished for the first time in the Pokemon series as I grew up that probably helped make me who I am now, you know?

I have no idea what I'd suggest for a contest or tournament or whatever but I'd so be in for anything people come up with. Huy just told me that apparently Pokemon Snap is available for Virtual Console which inspired me to say O M G repeatedly IRL, so I am now going to go find my Wii, possibly die of some serious dust related ailment, and then if I survive buy Pokemon Snap for Virtual Console.

• What are some of your first memories of Pokémon Snap? I feel like I was eight or so when I got this game, and my video game senses definitely hadn't kicked in (it took me a couple days to find out how to leave my house in Blue). My first real memory is probably playing the Tunnel level about fifteen times in a row because I was too stupid to figure out to explode the Electrode at the end.
  • Which course is your favorite? Despite what other people at my old dorm say, the Cave level is amazing. There are so many hidden things. Muk, Pikachu on Articuno, the Jigglypuff (!!!) concert. In all, it's just one of the deeper levels in the game in my opinion.
  • Are you interested in participating in a Pokémon Snap contest? Yeah probably! Let's not do anything involving Mew though.
  • Would you support a future Pokémon Snap game? I suppose I would, at the risk of destroying my childhood. The first game was just quirky enough to work, so I'm not sure how a second one would fare. However, I don't believe in living in the Pokepast, so sure, I'd probably buy it if I owned the system (which I probably wouldn't). If it were 3DS though, I'd buy it guaranteed.
See my responses in the quote.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
i restarted my virtual console game and by god, i fall into the same trap every time. trying to take a good picture of everything, even the time based events like all the lapras. it just cant be done ._.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • What are some of your first memories of Pokémon Snap?
  • Which course is your favorite?
  • Are you interested in participating in a Pokémon Snap contest?
  • Would you support a future Pokémon Snap game?
My mom bought me Pokemon Snap when it first came out eons ago. I was so excited that I would finally be able to interact with Pokemon ~~in 3d~~, even if it meant throwing apples at their hides and invading their privacy. Since Dragonite was my favorite Pokemon and he was (up to that time) pretty underrepresented in the anime, it was great to knock that Dragonair into the Whirlpool and see my favorite Pokemon fly out. I remember loving the volcano level too, but it's been so, so long that I can only think of bits and pieces. I would definitely support a sequel, but make it really long this time. There are so many Pokemon now and it would be a shame to get a skimpy game like we did with the first. If I get my hands on Pokemon Snap or get it for the VC, I would definitely be willing to have some sort of contest. We can partially base it off the in-game scoring but also have a "photoshoot" and have people vote for their favorites. It'd definitely be a great way to bring something more subjective into Pokemon!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
  • What are some of your first memories of Pokémon Snap? When did you buy this game? How old were you when you first played it? How long have you enjoyed this game?

I borrowed a friends copy and maxed it out in terms of photographing everything and getting fairly decent points on nearly all of the shots. Some of them were kinda difficult to get awesome pictures of though! I dunno how old i was.. Probably 12 or 13? And i loved it from that moment onwards.

• Which course is your favorite? We all have Pokémon we specifically enjoy taking pictures of, so which course offered the most of those Pokémon? Which course was the most creative in design? Similarly, which course had the best "hidden" picture?

I don't really know which is my favourite course to be honest... They were all so unique and you had to go through each one multiple times to get every Pokémon anyway (using food or pesterballs or the Pokeflute). I really enjoyed the River level I think the most, mainly because you got to bop that Magikarp across the map and into that waterfall! There was also a set of dancing Graveller... I didn't understand the whole "hidden" picture thingy... Until I saw the HUGE obvious Dugtrio mountain...

• What is your best score on a picture? How did you get this perfect picture? What methods did you use? If you can, upload the image here to show us your hard work! We'll all revel in the beauty of your shot, no doubt. Similarly, what's your best score on a course?

I'm pretty sure *everyones* best Picture is of Mew at the end of the game. Mainly because it gets a stupid amount of points just for being Mew... I don't have my Wii with me so I can't check what my best pic was!

• Are you interested in participating in a Pokémon Snap contest? If so, what kind of contests would you like to see? Would tournaments be a good idea? What about a leaderboard?

Hell's yes! After I get back home from Uni though... I'd love to see how I stack up against Smogon!
  • Would you support a future Pokémon Snap game? If not, why not? If so, what would you like to see added? What features would you envision ideally? What system would this be played on?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Needs more Snap! Hell, they even introduced a Gen5 version of Todd in the Anime.. He's a bit of an idiot though. I'd like it to have the majority of the Pokémon available to snap tbh... I mean Snap only had what... 63? And then some of those weren't even the full evo chain and things. WiiU would be great, or maybe the 3DS. I'd prefer WiiU though :P

*SQUEEEEEEEEEEE* Pokémon Snap has to be my favourite spin off of all the Pokémon games! I loved it from start to end. I think Nintendo should definitely make a sequel because there are some proper die hard fans of this series out there who would def want to buy it.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I recently replayed this, on N64 after finding it suprisingly cheap at a local retro game store. I don't really remember the first time I played through it, but this time was just as enjoyable. It's really not long enough though. If they ever considered doing a second (which i'd play, I don't know about you guys) it has to be so much longer, but I guess technology has come a fair way with regards to size. On the subject of courses, Tunnel was probably my favourite. I loved the interactions on the course, even if moving that Pikachu down was a bit of a pain in the ass, but it had some interesting ones. I was never a big fan of valley. There was so much to do, and considering the complexity of some of it (for a kids game) it moved pretty damn fast.

I don't know how you could do a challenge that everyone has the technology for, I'd be interested to see something a bit different than just a score contest, as that could get pretty stale pretty quickly. Maybe like NixHex suggested, vote for the photos rather than just accept Oaks rating

What are some of your first memories of Pokémon Snap? When did you buy this game? How old were you when you first played it? How long have you enjoyed this game?

Man, brings back memories, I remember buying it second hand when I was around 13 maybe? This game is actually really short, but I swear I've put in hours upon hours upon hours into this game in my childhood.

Which course is your favorite? We all have Pokémon we specifically enjoy taking pictures of, so which course offered the most of those Pokémon? Which course was the most creative in design?

I'd have to say that Waterfall level was my favourite, the number of things you could do which influenced other things was probably greatest in that level, though the rapids were pretty cool too. I wasn't a huge gyarados fan back in the day, but the way you made it appear was awesome.

What is your best score on a picture? How did you get this perfect picture? What methods did you use? If you can, upload the image here to show us your hard work! We'll all revel in the beauty of your shot, no doubt. Similarly, what's your best score on a course?

I'm pretty sure the highest score for everyone was of Mew, when you get a perfect pose, I think it was over 9000 (no joke, or possibly 7000 :S).

Are you interested in participating in a Pokémon Snap contest? If so, what kind of contests would you like to see? Would tournaments be a good idea? What about a leaderboard?

That idea sounds great, and I would love to, but the main problem I see would be verifying scores etc. Then again, if it's just for fun, cheaters are really just cheating themselves.

Would you support a future Pokémon Snap game? If not, why not? If so, what would you like to see added? What features would you envision ideally? What system would this be played on?

Seeing as though we're all Pokemon lovers here, I'm sure we'd love to see another one come out. I think it would be pretty good on the Wii, or possibly the WiiU when it comes out. Besides, I'm sure there'd be some extra feature which meant more special moves/items for the competitive scene ^^

Oh god, Pokemon Snap! I loved this thing so much.

So yeah, I first played this years and years ago when I saw it at the local Blockbuster and rented it, fell instantly in love. I'd proceed to rent it another 4 or 5 times until they finally moved onto GC games (I should've just bought the damn thing). When it came out on the virtual console I bought it like, almost immediately and then got every little picture of every little thing, but now I'm kind of bored with having run out of things to do (except now I want to restart it again XD).

I never really had a favorite course, they're all pretty epic. I don't remember what my best shot other than Mew was, I'd have to check (and who knows I could've gotten better ones a decade ago and have forgotten all about it).

I'd SO be into participating in a Pokemon Snap contest, I'd love an excuse to dig into this forgotten classic yet again. Just no mew eh?

And HELL YES I want them to make a sequel! I don't know why they haven't already to begin with, I mean it's not like the original bombed or anything, and the new hardware Nintendo has these days would be so well suited to it. Really, I don't know why they haven't done it already :( I wouldn't care what system it was on as long as they'd frickin' DO IT!

EDIT: Lol 700th post, couldn't have been a more frivolous thing for it XD

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Snap is the best. Hands down.

I can't really remember when I first played this, but I have played it so much that that is not surprising. I remember multiple times sitting down with a group of friends, starting the game over from the beginning and working our way through, beating the entire thing in a few hours. It was one of the most fun things ever. Unfortunately, I have since lost my Pokemon Snap cartridge, so I can no longer play it on my N64. Fortunately, I downloaded it on my Wii, so it doesn't really matter. The controller is better anyways.

I don't know if I can really say I have a favorite course, but if I had to choose I would probably say the Valley, cause I always found knocking those Squirtle around especially fun.

Like probably everyone else, my best picture is most likely of Mew, though I can't remember for sure. Though a good picture of the Jigglypuff Trio on Stage was always hard to beat. Getting bonus points for a really valuable special and again for multiple Pokemon just gives an awesome score.

As for competitions, I'm not sure exactly how that would work, but sign me up. I'm always happy to get back into this game.

And yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. Give me a sequel. System and features don't matter too much (as long as they keep all the good stuff), but I would like to see more levels and more Pokemon. As much fun as it was to sit down and beat the entire game in one sitting, l would absolutely love a longer game.

The only time I got to play Snap was at the local Blockbuster, where they had it on an arcade machine. I used to beg my mom to go just so I could play.

I would love to see a sequel, expecially now that we have so many more Pokemon!

Speaking of blockbuster, my most vivid memories of Pokemon Snap were when I went there and printed off stickers of my pictures. I did the legendary bird trio and Mew, cause why not?

You know, I prolly have that sticker sheet buried somewhere...

I'd say my biggest regret is that I gave my N64 to my nephew years ago, and most of my games with it. I might have saved Snap, but I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for it. And for whatever cruel reason, it just refuses to work properly on emulators.

Honestly, I am seriously shocked that Pokemon Snap hasn't gone through a reinventing for Wii. I would have bet money on it. This game's premise and the Wii's motion controls go perfect together. At least we've got it on VC.

I got a couple 4000-point pictures, but not many (as in, 1000 size 1000 pose, x2). Best Mew shot is 9,800 I think? My friend and I managed to get some pretty good shots.

Maybe we could all compare scores sometime.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You mean a re-inventing for the 3DS. With the 3D camera and AR capabilities, the thing is just begging for a Pokemon Snap sequel. I'm also very surprised nobody here has organized a high score thread yet!

I did mean for the Wii, but now that we have the 3DS, I think it'd be better suited there.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

bluh bluh bluh I wish this was real

Anyways, if you guys can figure out some sort of magical way to upload your Pokemon Snap runs to Youtube, I can always make some fancy .gifs! The internet has a depressing lack of Pokemon Snap .gifs, so we can contribute to the world in that sense. It'd also be fun to see some runs and make comments!

Also, if someone does want to put up a high score Pokemon Snap leaderboard topic here in Orange Islands (and is willing to maintain it and keep it updated) PM your interest to me. I can help set you up and link that thread to this one! If no one wants to, I'm definitely cool with hosting it. I'm approaching finals, but I'm sure I'll be hoping back into the game sooner or later!

Ah, Snap. Still a great game. I have my N64 hooked up in the other room, so I'll check and see what my exact high scores are in the morning.

I remember getting both Snap and Stadium from the Dixons (or was it Curry?) in town for my birthday one year. Great fun.

I'm not sure what my favourite course is. They're all pretty good. Maybe the river... Trying to get good airborne Shellders/Psyducks/Poliwags/Cloysters.

As for special shots, Pikachu riding on Articuno is always the one I think of. Generally not worth as much as a decent Pikachu on a Stump shot, but so hard to set up.

I don't think I've ever managed to get all three Jigglypuff at once.

I did like the Charmander spot. With the Moltres egg blocking you, you can take all the time in the world to set up every Charmander and have them do whatever.

So I got this on Virtual Console the day after I made my post in this thread and played through. Was really fun and nostalgic. I was glad to see that even though it's been like 10 years I'm not too old to think the cutemons are adorable when I give them apples and they're all like YEAAAAAAA FOOD ^______________________^

I was kinda surprised how much I remembered, too. Got all but 3 Pokemon pictures while I was going through, and two of the three I missed I failed to capture just because I couldn't aim Pester Balls (Growlithe, Arcanine). The only one I legitimately forgot how to get was Gyarados, though I did half of the lead in to evolving the Magikarp in the run through of the course to get the Pokemon sign so I think I remember enough that if I go through again I can get it without outside help.

Still a really fun game!

Such lovely memories. When I was younger, my sister and I would waste away lazy Saturdays by restarting our file and racing through the game and "capture" all of the Pokemon as quickly as we could. Speaking of which, time trials would not be a bad challenge, although I feel like the rails type movement would not lead to a diversity of approaches. Combining time with score could be another way to make it more interesting.

And to this day, I cannot get throughout the mountain/rapids level without tripping up something major, like being fast enough to get Sandslash and remember to deal with Gyarados.

Also, trying to get like 10 Charmanders as close to your vehicle as possible while stopped in front of the Moltres egg was always way more fun than it should have been, especially when the picture was never that great (go for that size or number of charmander in pic bonus?).

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
First console game I ever bought. I'd definitely be down for a tournament or leaderboard.

Hey guys, thought I'd share my high scores with you. Some of these I am sure are unbeatable, others I have no doubt you could do better. If any of you would like to see some of the pictures I've got, I can try to get them online.

Scores are listed according to stage and then by Pokedex number, in the format Special/Size/Pose/Same Pokemon bonus - Total (all pictures obviously scored x2 for Technique, and keep in mind Same Pokemon bonus is added after the x2 bonus)

These are high scores in general and not for every Pokemon on the stage (Magikarp only appears once, in the stage my score is highest in, for example).

BEACH

Butterfree 0/1000/1000/260 - 4260
Pidgey 500/280/1250/330 - 4390
Meowth 0/1000/1200/0 - 4400
Doduo 0/900/1300/0 - 4400
Chansey 0/990/1000/0 - 3980
Kangaskhan 0/1000/1250/0 - 4500
Scyther 0/630/1300/0 - 3860
Lapras 0/420/1000/0/280 - 3120
Eevee 0/520/1250/0 - 3540
Snorlax 0/760/1200/0 - 3920

CAVE

Kakuna 0/750/1000/600 - 3600
Diglett 0/610/1000/0 - 3220
Dugtrio 0/940/1000/0/340 - 4220
Magnemite 0/780/1000/300 - 3860
Magneton 0/740/1000/0 - 3480
Haunter 0/1000/1000/0 - 4000
Electrode 0/1000/1200/330 - 4730
Electabuzz 0/1000/1200/570 - 4970
Zapdos 0/940/1350/0 - 4580

VOLCANO

Charmander 0/550/1200/1520 - 5020
Charmeleon 0/930/1200/0 - 4260
Charizard 0/940/1250/0 - 4380
Vulpix 0/990/750/960 - 4440
Growlithe 0/350/1300/280 - 3580
Arcanine 0/1000/1200/400 - 4800
Rapidash 0/940/1200/490 - 4770
Magmar 800/840/1200/490 - 6170
Moltres 0/930/1350/0 - 4560

RIVER

Bulbasaur 0/1000/1200/480 - 4880
Metapod 0/920/1000/480 - 4320
Vileplume 0/590/1200/0 - 3580
Psyduck 0/590/1200/0 - 3580
Poliwag 0/680/1200/0 - 3760
Slowpoke 0/890/1200/0 - 4180
Slowbro 0/920/1300/0 - 4440
Shellder 0/1000/1200/0 - 4400
Cloyster 0/1000/1000/0 - 4000 I actually received a Same Pokemon bonus for this picture, but it was for 0 points :x
Porygon 0/560/1400/340 - 4260

CAVE

Pikachu 1600/670/1000/0 - 6540
Jigglypuff 1200/300/1400/560 - 6360
Zubat 0/950/1000/320 - 4220
Weepinbell 0/1000/1000/0 - 4000
Victreebel 0/870/1300/0 - 4340
Grimer 0/1000/1000/0 - 4000
Muk 0/930/1000/0 - 3860
Koffing 0/1000/1000/0 - 4000
Jynx 0/1000/1200/0 - 4400
Ditto 0/630/1150/450 - 4010
Articuno 0/940/1350/0 - 4580

VALLEY

Squirtle 0/720/1100/0 - 3640
Sandshrew 0/890/1000/700 - 4480
Sandslash 0/1000/1400/0 - 4800
Mankey 0/830/1250/0 - 4160
Geodude 0/970/800/0 - 3540
Graveler 500/1000/1000/800 - 5800
Goldeen 0/810/1200/0 - 4020
Staryu 0/510/1000/0 - 3020
Starmie 0/950/1000/0 - 3900
Magikarp 0/810/1200/0 - 4020
Gyarados 0/970/1350/0 - 4640
Dratini 0/560/1200/0 - 3520
Dragonite 0/1000/1200/0 - 4400

RAINBOW CLOUD

Mew 2500/930/1500/0 - 9860

I don't play this often but if we can get some good competition going that'd be cool :)

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey, nice scores. I've only got a few wins on you.

Eevee - 0/830/1000/0 - 3660
Kakuna - 0/820/1000/580 - 4220
Dugtrio - 0/950/1000/390 - 4290
Magneton - 0/930/1000/0 - 3860
Growlithe - 0/500/1300/0 - 3600
Moltres - 0/940/1350/0 - 4580
Vileplume - 0/730/1200/0 - 3860
Jigglypuff - 1200/320/1400/560 - 6400

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)