Pokémon Trading Card Game (GBC)

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey.

So this game (v that one v) is quite possibly the most amazing game. EVAR.

It had a pretty open world, a nice end goal, some really open deck builds and in the end some really tough bosses. Also Imakuni? is possibly the creepiest thing to ever exist.

Anyway, what did you guys like or hate about the game? What did you typically run as a deck-build, and which gym's gave it trouble? Did you find any 'unbeatable" decks? Should the TCG be remade for the 3DS or other platforms?

Personally one of the reasons I liked the game was the varying deck-strategies you'd run up against in the gyms, especially in the grass and psychic gyms.

One of the main reasons I liked the game is because we basically had access to an infinite amount of cards from Base, Jungle, and Fossil. I didn't have the money as a kid to get real cards, so this game was a pretty cool substitute. I remember when I snagged the promo Venusaur through Card Pop! and felt like a badass the whole day.

Typically I ran a deck with Gyarados and Dewgong for attackers, and Chansey to sit up front and stall while I build my Bench up. Of course, I had to change my game plan completely when facing Murray (all my hate).

I built a deck around Fossil Moltres's Wildfire that I don't recall ever losing a match with. Moltres's lack of Weakness combined with a healthy supply of ER, SER, healing items, and Item Finder to get them all back made for pretty easy wins.

Decking that prick Murray with it was very satisfying.

I would very much like to see the TCG remade for the 3DS, but of course it'll never happen. I wish the sequel had made it stateside more than anything; it's a real shame it didn't. It took everything that made the first game great (open deck builds, huge open world) and improved upon it (mini games, a second island, more cards, more to collect, letting you skip coin flips).

I'm fairly sure this game's RNG is rigged as hell. I played against Murray when he had a Chansey as a lead, put a DCE on it, and proceeded to land 40+ Scrunches to deck me out. The only reason I was able to draw any prizes at all was because I was able to Gust of Wind it out of there and a few OHKO's with Gyarados on his weaker Pokemon.

Yeah, this was a fun game. Too easy, though; even the final bosses just didn't have very good decks. IIRC, I usually ended up running a Rain Dance team; Lapras for early defense, drop a Blastoise and dump a bunch of water energies on it and Gyarados, go to town. Good times.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
oh god this game is incredible. the gameplay was solid, but this game has my favorite music of any video game ever... a tcg remake (possibly with updated card lists... though they'd do it for marketing purposes) is probably the only thing that could make me buy a 3ds. especially if they included a legitimate endgame (tcg battle tower please).
[youtube]VgMHWxN2U_w[/youtube]

this game actually Proved that Fossil Ditto was too good to exist(they didn't even put it in the game,and put a MUCH weaker version instead)

and it'sfun to grind cards by beating up Imakuni.

Still a great game... My usual deck was a nice Psychic one with a lot of damage counter manipulation courtesy of Gengar's Curse, I seem to recall.

Imakuni is confusing.

In fact... Oh wow, here it is! I called my deck Psyzap.

4x Fossil Gastly
4x Base Haunter
4x Fossil Gengar
1x Base Jynx
1x Base Mewtwo
2x Base Pikachu
1x Jungle Pikachu
2x Base Raichu
1x Fossil Zapdos
1x Base Jigglypuff
1x GB Jigglypuff
1x Jungle Wigglytuff
1x Bill
1x Energy Removal
1x Pluspower
1x Switch
1x Gust of Wind
11x Lightning Energy
21x Psychic Energy

Okay, in hindsight that's pretty bad. But I was young back then! And Do the Wave is awesome.

I played this game to keep myself awake in lectures this semester. Probably the professors didn't appreciate that much but whatever...

I had a Scyther/Electabuzz/Hitmonchan deck and a Blastoise deck which are two highly creative strategies, I know. In spite of being super standard the Blastoise one is a little more fun because I worked a couple of the legendary Articuno card in with it to help stall when I got shitty draws to open the game.

I was running uh...

4x Squirtle
4x Blastoise
3x Seel
2x Dewgong
2x Lapras
2x Articuno (base)
2x Articuno (legendary)

3x Professor Oak
4x Bill
2x Pokemon Trader
4x Pokemon Breeder
2x Computer Search
3x Pluspower
2x Gust of Wind

21x Water Energy

In retrospect playing with the new series cards makes me wonder why I don't have 4 Catchers Gust of Winds in there...

Speaking of the old-school TCG, I found my deck from when I was a kid IRL (which was through the same formats represented in the video game) a few weeks ago and had to laugh. Had a lot of good cards -- a couple Scythers, a Hitmonchan, an Oak, a Pluspower, a couple Bills, a Wigglytuff, a couple of the right Jigglys -- but no real focus and way too many Pokemon. I apparently had some idea of what was good but not how to make a good deck. Pity!

If they made a legit remake of this with all the cards...i'd most likely faint from too much awesomeness in one game..

My parents got me this game when it first came out, but I didn't know how to play the TCG so I rarely used it. (I still have the Meowth card I got from it.)

I'm hoping to play through it this summer for the first time, though! Odd to think I own a Pokemon game I haven't even tried to beat, and it'll be some nice nostalgia.

Will probably check in here for advice.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
One of the best non-mainline Pokemon games, easily. Amazing music, especially. :3
[youtube]zfDxSEc5mDw[/youtube]

This song gets stuck in my head literally all the time.

Anyways, I'm gonna be starting up a run of this soon; haven't played in about a year. Which starting deck is the best? I usually go with Bulbasaur and Friends because BULBASAUR, but I guess I don't really have an intelligent reason for choosing that deck. Any recommendations?

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I always remember having fun with the Charmander and Friends deck, though you really can't go wrong with any of them. All of them have solid cards such as Dewgong and Arcanine, and of course the Grass one is always steady. I'd personally pick Charmander just because loading up on Fire energy and smashing the shit out of everyone with Charizard is priceless.

I'd just pick the one who's energy color you'd most like to work with, since the cards you start out with usually come with a few decent Pokemon. If you just want to stomp the game I think things are easiest with Squirtle and friends by far, since you can build it into a Rain Dance deck later and have something that's out of any of the CPU trainers' league, whereas Charizard and Venusaur aren't as competitively powerful(though Pokemon Center cheese with Venusaur is pretty entertaining...), but you can really get away with doing a decent version of whatever you feel like running so I'd just go with whatever you think sounds fun.

My favourite pokemon game to be honest. The only game I've really played outside of Diamond. Though I never finished it but I am awful at non-completion of games.

Has anyone played the sequel that never got an English release? I'd love to know the reasoning behind why the game never got released. As the first game sold 1.5 million copies alone in North America.

I love this game so much (no surprise), it actually does a good job of teaching you how to play and makes the game look a lot more diverse than it actually is. I think the starter decks are really awful though, stupid single Pokemon lines, 4 Energy types, etc. I always beat the lab guy a few more times to get extra energies of types I actually plan on using and ditch the stupid base set Gastly right away.

The water club almost gave me nightmares as a kid. The 2-prize duel in the upper room is absolutely brutal since it actually uses a legit strategy and a pretty decent decklist containing Scyther, Wigglytuff, Mysterious Fossil (+random evos)/Clefairy Doll and at least 3 Bill and Oak from what I recall. It's kind of the Whitney's Miltank of this game imo, where I don't really have trouble with it anymore now but really did when I was younger. The 3-prize duel is a complete joke compared to it. Also the gym leader is pretty hard when she gets out Blastoise and spams Energy Removal cards.

Also the rival scared the shit out of me with his intimidating music. Now I just laugh at his hilarious deck names. I'm Ronald! Deck!!!! Also his decks turned out surprisingly good too before he went Eeveelution/Legendary Pokemon mode. iirc at some duels and in the Challenge Cup he actually uses a bunch of beefy Haymaker Basics in conjunction with Chansey and Muk, pretty scary. I was very disappointed at the lack of a postgame battle with him, other than random Challenge Cup encounters where he doesn't actually talk.

Does anyone know how fun this game is against other people? I was the only one who owned this game way back in the day, so I had no one to play against.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah it's been far too long since I've played this game but I remember really enjoying it and spending an obsessive amount of time on it collecting all the cards, which of course is much easier than actually catching all the Pokemon in the main games, and is somehow more satisfying. I don't think I knew any legitimate strategy back then so as far as I can recall my deck had like 3 or 4 types of energy clogging it up, which I suppose is the equivalent of the classic '4 Fire moves on Charizard' syndrome. Damn I really want to start another run of this soon...

wrecking shit with my haymaker deck every day

from what i remember it stacked hitmonchan, electabuzz and scyther with a couple of wigglytuff doing insane do the wave! damage

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Loved the music in the game, and played it back when I had a bit of knowledge about the TCG.

To nobody's surprise, I spent quite a bit of time playing the Challenge Machine at the end of the game. Got to about 250 wins, then lost to Murray, because I ended up burning through my deck instead of playing it slow and letting him deck himself out. By the time I realized it, it was too late, and I couldn't get around his Mr. Mimes to win by prize.

In the end I ran a deck that revoled around using the Legendary Zapdos cards. Big Thunder is just too good, OHKOing Pokemon such as Scyther, Electabuzz, and Hitmonchan. Just have the Legendary Zapdos out alone, and random KO the opponent's bench while preventing the opponent from attacking via Energy Removals, when low on HP drop down a bunch of Scythers and Electabuzzes that pile up in your hand and clean up.

I kind of wished they would have localized Card GB2.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Jabba and I just beat the ~legendary trainers~ so we are going to post our decks.

Bulbasaur x2
Ivysaur x1
Venusaur x1
Nidoran♂ x4
Nidorino x2
Nidoking x2
Paras x4
Parasect x2
Venonat x2
Venomoth x1
Koffing x3
Weezing x2
Scyther x2

Bill x2
Super Energy Retrieval x1
Energy Search x2
Pluspower x2
Gust of Wind x3
Grass Energy x20
Double Colorless Energy x2

Bulbasaur & Friends 4ever.

Nidoking was by far my favorite card to use. Toxic was amazing.

rrrrrrrrrrrg

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just tanked the game, it was a lot easier than i remember. stellar wants me to post the deck i used during our speedrun. prepare for some terrible!

2x Charmander
2x Charmeleon
3x Ponyta
3x Rapidash
2x Magmar
1x Magmar (the shitty smokescreen version)
4x Machop
2x Machoke
1x Machamp
1x Hitmonlee
2x Tauros
1x Kangaskhan
1x Professor Oak
3x Bill
1x Clefairy Doll
1x Super Energy Retrieval
1x Switch
2x Potion
2x Double Colorless
13x Fire Energy
10x Fighting Energy

I had trouble all game getting anything worthwhile from the decks. Charizard is trash so i ditched that early on. Rapidash carried me the entire game. 30 damage and a 50% to be immune to everything the next turn for only 2 fires and any is simply amazing. If i could get Machamp in, it would just run through decks (though machoke usually did a good enough job if I couldn't draw champ). This runthrough just proves the game was harder when I was a kid because i had no clue what I was doing. This game is awesome but really, really easy lol

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have also done a playthrough again and I agree this game was much easier, not that I remember it being insanely difficult, except for Ronald, who is still a huge asshole naming decks after himself.

In terms of my deck I'll admit I changed it around a ton. My favourite mon has to be fossil Zapdos for the insane amount of damage that can be done to the opponents bench. Right now I'm trying a grass and psychic deck out to play with all the fun Mewtwo cards.

In terms of speedrun the hardest part is probably energy cards and the luck you need to get the cards you need unless you stick to the starter decks. Looking back the fact that cards from one of your four decks cannot be used in another is really annoying. Also any trainer will less than four prizes is annoying to fight because the 6 prize battles are always more fun and setup really pays off with them. If anyone knows of a way to hack the game to have all trainers deal 6 prizes that would be legit.

EDIT: Holy crap guys I forgot about checking your mail you get booster packs from your spam yeahh!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)