Pokémon Trading Card Game (GBC)

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just finished my runthrough, found it really easy with a rain dance deck with blastoise powering up seadra, lapras, and dewgong, needless to say it was modified from the squirtle and friends starter deck

for the electric trainers i just mashed marowak, dugtrio, sandslash, and rhydon together and called it a day :pimp: seemed to work pretty good except i had to rely on luck sometimes for zapdos, but then thats what gust of wind is for

Oh Lord this game. I still have it somewhere.

I remember I killed everything with a Fighting type deck. I renewed the save so I have no idea what is was though :(

I remember I would 'rent' it from the store my Grandma worked at, until they realized GBCs were going out of style and they gave it to me for free. I think this and Yellow are the only two GBC games I still have.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Finished my runthrough a short while ago, using a modified Charmander and Friends deck. As with Jabba, Agility Rapidash is best thing to exist with all the free turns it generates, and it makes it possible to beat p.much anything, including the water gym. I added a few Magmar in as my beatstick, as well as some Charmeleon for the quick 50 damage when I neeeded to KO things quickly, threw in a (good) Ninetales for random huge damage and finished off with a pair of Tauros for defense against waters and psychics, who both get hit hard by them.

With the Flamethrowers that got thrown around, i ran a fairly energy heavy deck, with around 26 Fire energies and 4 DCE's, with 4 Energy Seaches and 3 (one Super) Energy Retreivals I pretty much always had a way to get energy into my hand and onto my mons. Standard draw engine in Bills and a Prof. Oak, and some team disruption with 3 Gusts and a Switch.

The Gym Leaders themselves were a breeze, none of them were a particular struggle. I only had to rematch Gene, Ken and Amy once each, each time due to horrible draws. lol Ronald. As for the E4...Rod was a breeze, Courtney was either easy af or a pain in the ass thanks to 70 damage Dive Bombs, Steve haxed me a couple times and then sat down and Jack was an annoying piece of poop until Rapidash went on a rage streak.

Really satisfying run overall, fun game, fun deck to use, and completed it in roughly 5 hours, with a game time of 18.

You guys are putting me to shame. I'm playing an actual cartridge and still bumbling through the beginning with Squirtle & Friends. Just beat Matthew at the Rock Club.

I've never played the TCG or this game, so this is all pretty new to me!

Pretty sure we aren't allowed to discuss ROMs, but Google is your friend. It's a GBC game, not a GBA one, though.

You guys are putting me to shame. I'm playing an actual cartridge and still bumbling through the beginning with Squirtle & Friends. Just beat Matthew at the Rock Club.

I've never played the TCG or this game, so this is all pretty new to me!
Protip: Bill and Professor Oak are really good.

Maybe I'll give this another runthrough... Or I could do a Nuzlocke run! (How would that work?)

Pretty sure we aren't allowed to discuss ROMs, but Google is your friend. It's a GBC game, not a GBA one, though.

Protip: Bill and Professor Oak are really good.

Maybe I'll give this another runthrough... Or I could do a Nuzlocke run! (How would that work?)
My Bad.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I actually started playing this again. Although I haven't lost yet (2 medals), it is surprisingly hard to play with a fire deck early game. Most of the powerful Pokemon require you to discard energy cards to use decent attacks. I finally got a couple Rapidash, but I don't think I have any Ponyta...

Decided to start up again, and went with the water deck. Ripped a Kangaskhan and a Chansey fairly early, along with a second Scoop Up plus the Lapras they start you with - so now I have an awesome time stalling/drawing engine whilst I build up to Blastoise and Rain Dance goodness. Fun!

Lol, I remember this game. My friend had it, and he tried to show me how to play it, but I could never get into it. Was more interested in Red/Blue/Yellow.

Just tried out a deck with nothing but 2 legendary zapdos, a bunch of lightning energy and a few potions/bills/prof. oaks/energy removals

surprisingly effective if you can deny the opponents setup, 70 damage per turn to a random benched card for 3 energy quickly racks up prizes

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Playing with a highly modified Charmander Deck... I removed all the Charmanders...

I got the the "Elite 4" earlier today after getting stuck on the water gym for literally forever... My whole deck revolves around Hitmonchan and Arcanine mostly. I think in the last 10 matches I've had on it, I've drawn a Hitmonchan 8 times or something.

Is there anyway to buy Booster Packs/More energy cards? I only have enough energy for like 1 other deck :/ Seems kinda lame.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there anyway to buy Booster Packs/More energy cards? I only have enough energy for like 1 other deck :/ Seems kinda lame.
well there is a technician in mason's lab next to the deck machines whose prize packs contain nothing but energy cards

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You can also replay the tutorial against Sam for an energy booster pack. It's faster and easier because you don't have to think about playing and there are only two prizes.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Check your emails on the computer because I beat the game and realized you get like a new pack for beating each gym leader, sometimes two. If you are looking for cards in a certain pack just find someone who gives out that pack and make sure your deck can curbstomp them.

Right now I'm looking for 4 imposter oaks, I get such devilish glee from wasting away my opponents 10 card hand with two, and then hope I get it back with recycle > : D

What cards do you have the most trouble with even with a good deck?

My most feared card to come up against is Fossil Magmar, turning all your attacks into coinflips for 1 energy and poisoning for 2 is extremely unfun.

peng

fuck xatu
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mr Mime is the most annoying Pokemon to face by far. I remember the Psychic Grand Master or w/e used to just use Mr Mime with a ton of Potions and Super Potions and gradually wear down my haymaker deck because I didn't have any Fossil Magmars to Poison them. Thank god he's pretty much the only opponent in the game that actually uses them.

Lickitung is also a bitch. Every time I would face one they would get 7 paralyzes in a row with Lick and take out my Hitmonchans.

Trying out the challenge machine for the first time in like 10 years, up to 180 wins now.

My deck is:

Scyther x4
Electabuzz x4
Hitmonchan x4
Jigglypuff x4
Wigglytuff x4

Professor Oak x4
Bill x4
Gust of Wind x4
Energy Removal x4

Lightning Energy x10
Fighting Energy x10
Double Colorless Energy x4

Nothing can really touch me, kind of itching to try out a new deck to at least have some challenge. Any recommendations?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Mr Mime is the most annoying Pokemon to face by far. I remember the Psychic Grand Master or w/e used to just use Mr Mime with a ton of Potions and Super Potions and gradually wear down my haymaker deck because I didn't have any Fossil Magmars to Poison them. Thank god he's pretty much the only opponent in the game that actually uses them.

Lickitung is also a bitch. Every time I would face one they would get 7 paralyzes in a row with Lick and take out my Hitmonchans.
Oh man, I nearly lost against that person because of the obscene amount of Chansey's they drew. Luckily I managed to get Wigglytuff to the field, but then Mr Mime came in and started stalling me... Shockingly Lullaby never kept it asleep for two turns to block it's power. I had to retreat and then switch in a Ponyta to kill it. Then repower up Wigglytuff to come back in and kill the fecking Chansey/Snorlax before I ran out of cards... I think I ended up with like 4 cards left to draw.

Also; I had a Geodude Stone Barrage me for like 90 damage -_-

My Deck At the moment:

3 Growlithe
2 Arcanine
2 Ponyta
1 Rapidash
3 Machop
1 Machoke (I only have ONE Machoke)
1 Machamp
1 Hitmonlee
3 Hitmonchan (Because they rock)
1 Jigglypuff
1 Wigglytuff

Energy:
2 Double Colourless Energy
10 Fire Energy
14 Fighting

Trainers (Still working on this, I barely use some of the cards)
3 Bill
1 Energy Retrieval
1 Super Energy Retrieval
2 Energy Removal
1 Computer Search
2 Pluspower
2 Gust Of Wind
2 Potion

Yeah, the Psychic Grand Master probably has the best deck of all the GMs, and the most similar to the decks that actually saw play. Mr. Mime + Damage Transfer + healing stuff is very hard to break through.

After reading through this thread and seeing people talk about this on IRC the past few days, the nostalgia is coming back and haunting me. I can't believe this came out over a decade ago; it's definitely time for me to replay this.

I'm staying at my mom's house tonight, so I'm hoping I can dig it up somewhere in my room. If not, I'll have to track down a copy of this x.x

Out of curiosity, can you play GBC games on a DS Lite, or will I have to bust out the GBA for this one?

After reading through this thread and seeing people talk about this on IRC the past few days, the nostalgia is coming back and haunting me. I can't believe this came out over a decade ago; it's definitely time for me to replay this.

I'm staying at my mom's house tonight, so I'm hoping I can dig it up somewhere in my room. If not, I'll have to track down a copy of this x.x

Out of curiosity, can you play GBC games on a DS Lite, or will I have to bust out the GBA for this one?
You'll have to whip out your GBA, DS Lite (or the regular DS for that matter) is uncompatible with GBC games.

Damn, I need to try this game too. I remember that I used to play this as a kid sometimes over at a friend's, maybe I should get into it a bit more.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been taking some time to play this game and really enjoy it, so I've gotten my 2nd medal so far (I have fighting and grass).

I started off with a Squirtle deck but actually ended up switching over to the Charizard line after getting enough cards for it to make my own modifications, and I've been enjoying it way more.

Right now I'm pretty sure Hitmonchan is just the total boss of this game, and once you get one of these guys set up you're basically guaranteed to win.

I plan on picking up the pace though and finishing the game sometime in the next couple of weeks, and then I'll post my final deck!

I really wish I had been a big time Pokemon fan back when this was actually out because it would've been fantastic to play on the go.

I am interested in the game though there are other games that I definitely want to get first. But I am wondering how much I will get out of it, especially in terms of hours, as Pokemon spin-offs tend to be very short. Also, how forgiving is the game with Pokemon choice? Like, can I play if any old pokemon and expect to enjoy playing with it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)