Pokémon trivia you may have missed!

At level 13, Buneary can learn Frustration.
At the same level, Lopunny can learn Return.
I guess it's because of Buneary evolving through Friendship, but it's still interesting.

EDIT: oh, and even more interestingly, they're the only two who can learn either move by level up.
Add to this that Buneary is the only non-legendary to have a base friendship of zero (catch it in anything other than a friend ball and it will absolutely hate you) while Lopunny has a base friendship of 140, the highest (shared with the Clefairy and Chansey lines and the Lake Trio).

And I had a pet rabbit once, he could be pretty stroppy and unco-operative when he wanted to be.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I'm sure most of you are aware of the deino, zweilous, hydreigon german number trio, but here's something you probably didn't notice... Durant!
In german, du = you (usually, I know that one of the three sie words means you also) so put 2 an 2 together and it says " you rant". Gamefreak has given us so much to rant about with durant. For one thing, it is this awesome pokemon, it doesn't evolve and isn't evolved and doesn't have too high stats. Why put such an awesome pokemon right at victory road, too late for a place on your time 98% of the time! And then in BW2 they made it even worse putting it in twist mountain, an area you can only get after beating the elite four! Then is it's hidden ability. You're in dream world thinking "YES! I'm getting a durant early!" and what ability does it have? Truant. FRICKING TRUANT. The worst ability of all time, TRUANT. Yeah, I could easily go on a rant about that. So I don't know if it was purposeful or what, but the fact that they gave us so much stuff to rant about him (compared to other pokemon) makes me think that "you rant" was suppose to be some kind of joke for gamefreak from the start, which makes me sad because it's design is so cool! :(

(What's better about this is that no one I know has noticed this before when I've told them, so I'm hoping this goes with azurill being cleffa in disguise as the second bit of actual obscure trivia in the thread!)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Durant = Durable Ant. I don't think GameFreak had a German hidden meaning in mind when they gave it that name.

Here's one.

In Pokemon Black, White, Black 2 and White 2, the character N talks faster than anyone else; that is to say, his text speed is always at the fastest speed, no matter what speed you set it to. If you do set it to the fastest speed, N talks even faster. In fact, when you first meet him in Acumula Town, Cheren says "Slow down, you talk to fast."

This is something that is very easy to overlook while playing the games, and why Game Freak did this is a mystery to me. Any thoughts?

Then is it's hidden ability. You're in dream world thinking "YES! I'm getting a durant early!" and what ability does it have? Truant. FRICKING TRUANT. The worst ability of all time, TRUANT. Yeah, I could easily go on a rant about that. So I don't know if it was purposeful or what...
Truant Durant + Entrainment owns in the Battle Subway where opponents almost never switch.
(Also Slow Start is arguably miles worse than Truant.)

I'm sure most of you are aware of the deino, zweilous, hydreigon german number trio, but here's something you probably didn't notice... Durant!
In german, du = you (usually, I know that one of the three sie words means you also) so put 2 an 2 together and it says " you rant".
Disproven, I think, by the German name for Durant being Fermicula.

Celever

i am town
But hydreigon's german name is Trikefalo, meaning the ein, zwei, drei theory is incorrect by your logic also.

And point noted Zowaiyx, that's true :P

Everyone and their mother probably knows this one, but Mew wasn't intended to be in the game at first, a programmer added it in literally two weeks before Red/Green were supposed come out in Japan. IIRC, even Satoshi did not know about Mew until later.

^I'm not sure I believe that story. Why is Mew's index number 21, which is quite early compared to some other Pokemon like Mewtwo (131)?

Celever

i am town
I remember it was mentioned in an issue of "offiial nintendo mgazine" (ONM) for England as well, so I'm pretty sure it's true.

its interesting that ash didn't see mew but rather ho-oh, in the first episode, in fact I don't think mew was seen until the movie, it would seem like it really wasn't intended to be used even if its concept was there. On the other hand Red saw mew in the first chapter of adventures which I believe was designed before the first anime production

But hydreigon's german name is Trikefalo, meaning the ein, zwei, drei theory is incorrect by your logic also.
No, because the numbers still exist in the German names of the Deino line, only instead of ein, zwei, and drei they're uno, duo, and tri. Nothing in any of the translations of Durant relates to ranting, most of them are "iron ant" or "iron termite".

Mew's late addition we've had straight from the horse's mouth, for example here, though Morimoto says Tajiri was in on it. So if you don't believe it, you have to believe either Morimoto or Nintendo are lying. The low index number I suggest is because Mew was put into what was a gap that would otherwise have produced a glitch Pokemon - there are several such gaps later on in the list of index numbers.

Chatot is one of the most consistently banned Pokémon from tournaments for one sole reason - its move Chatter, which when manipulated correctly can allow Chatot to swear at the other Trainer. Besides this, however, many Pokémon games simply have Chatot use the default sound and give it full power.

Why can't Nintendo do this for tournaments, we may never know.

I'm still wondering why they banned Chatot outright rather than just ban Chatter. After all, they can ban moves (Sky Drop, Dark Void).

In german, du = you (usually, I know that one of the three sie words means you also) so put 2 an 2 together and it says " you rant". Gamefreak has given us so much to rant about with durant. For one thing, it is this awesome pokemon, it doesn't evolve and isn't evolved and doesn't have too high stats. Why put such an awesome pokemon right at victory road, too late for a place on your time 98% of the time! And then in BW2 they made it even worse putting it in twist mountain, an area you can only get after beating the elite four! Then is it's hidden ability. You're in dream world thinking "YES! I'm getting a durant early!" and what ability does it have? Truant. FRICKING TRUANT. The worst ability of all time, TRUANT. Yeah, I could easily go on a rant about that. So I don't know if it was purposeful or what, but the fact that they gave us so much stuff to rant about him (compared to other pokemon) makes me think that "you rant" was suppose to be some kind of joke for gamefreak from the start, which makes me sad because it's design is so cool! :(

(What's better about this is that no one I know has noticed this before when I've told them, so I'm hoping this goes with azurill being cleffa in disguise as the second bit of actual obscure trivia in the thread!)
Durant = Durable Ant. I don't think GameFreak had a German hidden meaning in mind when they gave it that name.
I don't think you realise he's joking...

Hitmonchan is a reference to Little Mac from Punch Out.

They're both 4'07. (Little Mac has apparently grown 1 foot since then.)
Hitmonchan is the Punching Pokemon.
And is numbered 107. Mac weighs 107lbs.

Celever

i am town
I think it a coincidence, Recec. Hitmonchan is undoubtedly a reference to Jackie Chan, and unless it has a double-reference thing going on (which would be pretty cool) it's just referencing Jackie Chan.

In Black/White, despite being a held item, Prism Scale does not have the 'hold item' icon when displayed in the bag. This is fixed in Black2/White2 however.

Well unlike kings rock and metal coat two other evolution items prism scale does nothing it doesn't really deserve to be called a held item, you could hold a mail but its not called a held item still called mail, and is far more useful as an item than prism scale

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)