Pokémon with nonsensical Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am one guy that for some reason love to look at pokémon stats, they are the ones that shows some of the pokémon's streghts and weaknesses beyond just the typing and make every pokemon more unique, be it for the better or the worst (looking at you Sunkern).
Stats usually reflect by how the pokémon looks, most of the time, if it is a bulky looking monster it might have a higher HP stat just like Snorlax, if it is sleek looking it might have a higher speed stat, just like Weavile, and there are cases which the stats are made in such a way to help a pokémon to use a certain unique ability or move it has just like Malamar which has an attack stat higher than its Special Attack stat to allow it to use Superpower more reliably, thus helping it to abuse the contrary ability.
But there are some cases that, simply put, doesn't make any sense at all, and this thread should be dedicated to them. Here are some examples:

Kangaskhan
Speed: 90
Maybe it is just me but I always thought this speed stat just didn't make much sense on Kangaskhan, I know kangaroos are quite fast and all, but lets be real here, the only thing that Kangaskhan has of a Kangaroo on its design is the pouch on its belly, it looks more like a dinosaur monster, but anyway, how such a bulky looking mon has a 90 base speed. I know that 90 speed isn't an impressive speed at all but it also isn't slow, and once you compare this speed stat with other pokémon that looks like Kanga such as Nidoking (85 spe), Nidoqueen (76 spe), Aggron (50 spe) and Rhydon (40 spe) it only gets weirder. I guess it should have around 75~80 speed.
Glalie
Has 80 in every single stat
Oh this one you guys probably already knew. It is just pure laziness, this kind of stat distribution doesn't show any of Glalie's streghts and weaknesses and doesn't reflect like anything on its design. I guess it should have better defenses because of its armor like structure that covers its body, it should have a better attack stat because of those (ugly looking) teeth and on the other hand it should have worse HP because most of these artifical looking mons doesn't have that much HP and it should have bad speed because it looks heavy and it has no legs (By the way, his mega's stats make even less sense to me if you couldn't already tell). It should look like this: 60 HP / 100 Atk / 110 Def / 70 Satk / 90 Sdef / 50 Spe and it still mantains its 480 base stat total.

Chansey
Attack: 5
Yeah we are not here to talk about Chansey's god like HP but rather its paper strength attack stat. Yeah I know that Chansey shouldn't have a higher attack stat because it just doesn't reflect its design which is peaceful and innocent looking, but...WHY THE HELL, CHANSEY'S SIGNATURE MOVE IS A PHYSICAL ATTACK!? We are talking about Egg Bomb (not softboiled of course) a physical, normal type move with a whooping 100 base power, introduced since gen 1. This could have been a very decent move if Chansey had at least a usable Attack stat (and if Return had never happened). The only way this could have been fixed is by making Egg Bomb a special attack, but I don't guess that would make sense.

Charizard
Attack: 84
And here we have the good old (happy 20 years) Zard. I never got why Charizard has such an average attack stat because it has always been shown as a physical fighter as you can see in the anime where most of its moves are physical, such as Seismic Toss, Slash, Fly and Dragon Tail with fire type moves being the only ones that are special. It only got even weirder when Brawl happened and almost his entire moveset was physical with Seismic Toss (up grab), Rock Smash (side B), and Fly (up B) and then it got Flare Blitz and some custom moves (like Dragon Rush) in Smash 4, and again his only special moves were many fire type ones bar Flare Blitz, like flamethrower and Fire Blast. Pokken Tournament brought many special moves to zard but most his moveset still physical tho. Why market such a physical attacking Charizard when it just has 84 attack stat, thankfully his X mega fixed this issue but I still think that normal Zard should have like 92-100 attack stat at least.

Well then there are one kind of mon I would like to ban from this thread, which are the mythical pokémon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy and Victini because their 100 all around stats is like a tradition of some sort and I would also ban Arceus from the list, because it has 120 in every stat, mainly to fit the god of all pokémon theme.

Happy Posting and thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, I don't quite understand Escavalier's incredibly slow speed. I understand that it's based off of a snail (well, actually, according to bulbapedia, the drilus beetle, which steal snail shells), and that it's wearing armor, but it's also definitely based off of a jousting knight, and sure enough, Escavalier always looks ready to charge. Maybe the speed is supposed to reflect the stark contrasts of the inspirations, but I still feel like at the very least, they could have met a little more in the middle. Maybe somewhere in the 60-70 range?

Spe:100
How can this fatass be faster than Genesect,Yveltal,Hydreigon,Sharpedo,Rayquaza,Yanmega,Arcanine and Lucario?
Clearly, you never saw the anime episode where Whitney used it.
Nor have you met me (I'm not exactly skinny, yet I beat people who were on my high school track team in a foot race).

Last edited:
The most infamous examples here are Onix's base 35 HP and 45 Attack. It's a 9 meters long rock snake! Steelix's base 85 Atk sounds a little underpowered as well.

I never understood where Shuckle gets its ungodly Defenses from either. Sure, it hides inside its shell, but it doesn't look that sturdy. I know it's a gimmick and all but it still makes little sense to me.

Also Hitmonlee being a close quarter fighter, yet its 110 Special Defense is more than twice its physical one, at a mere 53.

Hey, speaking on underpowered giants, here is a new one.

Golurk
Defense: 80 Special Defesnse: 80
This thing is like literally a posessed armor / statue pokémon and it only gets an underwhelming 80 for both defenses, just why? The rest of its stats seems fine to me but I just can't get these defenses, you know which pokémons manage to be more specially defensive than Golurk: Weavile, Sceptile, Garbodor, Masquerain and even minun and it has the same special defense as Roselia...a giant robot, being as defensive as a flower. Things are also weird in regard to some of the pokémon that manage to be more physically defensive than it, which are: Stunfisk, Lopunny, Whimsicott and Vileplume (this time a flower being more defensive than a giant robot...). Golurk should at least have 100 on both defenses in my opinion.

Another thing that came to my mind:

Starmie has 115 speed, which is freaking fast for a starfish, which usually crawls slowly on the sea floor, if at all. I know base Speed =/= movement speed, but this thing is faster than Latios, a Pokémon based on a JET PLANE. Hell, Latios' Pokédex even says it flies faster than a jet plane, yet it can't outrun a starfish!

Another thing that came to my mind:

Starmie has 115 speed, which is freaking fast for a starfish, which usually crawls slowly on the sea floor, if at all. I know base Speed =/= movement speed, but this thing is faster than Latios, a Pokémon based on a JET PLANE. Hell, Latios' Pokédex even says it flies faster than a jet plane, yet it can't outrun a starfish!
I've always thought of Speed as how fast they perform moves.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
This should really go into the "Little things you dislike about Pokemon" thread... I don't really know where this can go to be honest, there isn't a whole lot to discuss other than "Yeah, some Pokemon have strange stats".

Locking it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)