1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birkal

Birkal Caw.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

A request: please keep your speculation reasonable; do not post just for the sake of posting if you have nothing remotely intelligent to say.

[youtube]WNr6wQfNfK4[/youtube]
    The entire Nintendo Direct video can be watched here.

Welcome to the new generation of Pokemon! Just a few hours ago, Nintendo announced that Generation 6 will be globally released in October 2013. The game is confirmed for Nintendo 3DS and utilized 3D models for Pokemon over sprites. We don't have a lot of information on the games currently, but the above video shows off both the starters and the box legendaries. Check out the new starters and legendaries:

[​IMG]
    From left to right: Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie

Chespin is a pure Grass-type, Fennekin is a pure Fire-type, and Froakie is a pure Water-type.

[​IMG]
    Introducing: Xerneas

[​IMG]
    And his best buddy, Yveltal.

The Orange Island Staff will be keeping this thread up to date as more information is released. Feel free to discuss any aspect of the releases here. What are your impressions? What else do you think will be included in this game? We have a lot of time to go between now and October. If you're looking to discuss these games live with Smogon regulars and veterans, join us on the IRC channels #orangeislands and #pokemon. Don't be shy; we'd love to talk with you about the new releases. Cheers, to a new generation of Pokemon!
  2. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

New Pokémon Confirmed
    (besides the starters and cover legendaries)

[​IMG]

Sylveon, the first old-generation evolution confirmed in XY. It's the eighth Eeveelution officially revealed; however, there has been no word of its type or ability. CoroCoro has announced its next issue will shed some light on Sylveon, possibly revealing its type.

[youtube]pse_I1klRhA[/youtube]

Here we can see Sylveon using what appears to be... something; Trump Card; a weird charge-up move; and Swift.

Yeah, no clue of its type. At all.

[​IMG]
    Who the hell are you

[youtube]vk_YC0MXJ-0[/youtube]

Psystrike (?), Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Blizzard, Psycho Cut and maybe Focus Blast??? Dude, you're weird
  3. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

What We Know 100%

• The games will be released simultaneously in Europe, Japan and NA in October 2013. Maybe also Oceania and such, but no explicit confirmation;
    • They are exclusive to the 3DS, have 3D scenery and all that jazz;
    • There will be more than 100 new pokémon;
    • We will have at least one evolution to old pokémon, which might mean a lot of other old-gen evolutions;
    • There's a statue of Golurk, an Eevee and some random person. Besides, the first trailer shows a lot of old-gen pokémon. This heavily hints there will be many old-gen pokémon before the E4, unlike BW1;
    • The male player uses rollerblades;
    • The female player is cute????

What We DON'T Know

• The name of the region;
    • How many new pokémon we will have;
    • How many old-gen pokémon will be available;
    • How we will transfer old-gen pokémon;
    • Whether there will be new types (probably not);
    • Sylveon's, Xerneas's and Yveltal's types and abilities.

Known Rumours:

• Pokémon Rainbow (quickly disproven by Nintendo Direct);
    • Pokémon set in space with Digital type and new Eeveelutions (lol) (also disproven by Nintendo Direct);
    • Some post in 2ch which was never linked to which said Xerneas was part-Grass, Yveltal was part-Dark (or part-Fire), the starters' final evos had a reverse Dark-Psychic-Fighting triangle going on and there would be two new types, Saint and Sound. Also, lots of legendaries (still not disproven);
    • This post on 4chan which actually came from somewhere else where the OP mentions an Eeveelution being Flying-type and to be revealed before March... oh look, there's Sylveon. He mentions a couple designs and some interesting info, and will return with more designs in Mid-March after people finally believe he's legit. I want to believe.

What We WILL NOT HAVE, SHUT UP

• Light type. Seriously. Since Gen III there's always that one guy that comes out and says "hey know what would be cool? a Light type to be a counterpart to Dark!!!!" and oh wow would you look at that, we still don't have it. While it is possible that Game Freak creates it one day, and that we may finally have it in Gen VI, the arguments for and against a Light type are always the same for years. Have you ever seen a suspect test whenever someone mentions Drizzle? Yeah, it's like that, but worse and with nothing new except the users discussing. We don't need that. DO NOT DISCUSS THE LIGHT TYPE UNLESS GAME FREAK FINALLY ANNOUNCES IT. You may discuss a new type, a specific new type if you want, but not Light type. Of course, do not try to disguise Light as something else because it'll be very clear by your arguments and you'll get yourself infracted anyway. If you really really really want to discuss a new type, even though we haven't had one for more than a decade, be my guest, but bring something new to the table. Light type has gotten rotten already;
    • A game with all regions. Seriously guys.
  4. Calm Pokemaster

Calm Pokemaster
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

There are two inferences I can draw from this:

• The record speed with which GF has brought out Gen 6 could possibly indicate a long hiatus for new generations in the future.
    • This almost certainly rules out any prospects of a RSE remake in the near future.
  5. ChuckHades

ChuckHades

After calming myself down from realisation of the fact that I now have to buy a 3DS, these look... oh my god... it just looks incredible.

Unfortunately the starters appear to be lackluster, which is a shame (the last great starters were Hoenn imo) but when more info is announced gamefreak could surprise us. Those legendaries though... oh my dayum. They just look so sexy. My money's on the deer thing being a grass steel type, and the weird Sigilyph-esque bird being flying fire or flying psychic. You know what this means?

NO MORE LEGENDARY DRAGON TYPES! THANK ARCEUS!

Hopefully anyway. To summarise; the 3D looks sexy, even though I do have to buy a £DS (intentional error there). The starters look a little lame, but I'll hold judgment until I know more. The legendaries look interesting, and are a welcome break from the generic dragons we've been spoonfed since Emerald. And overall, I'm marking down my calendar until October.

Still waiting for the purile genwunners to start blogging frantically about how it sux and how they're all so unoriginal, while fapping over pictures of Electrode and Ratatta, the holy grail of originality.
  6. Pippy

Pippy

I would not be surprised if trollfreak trolls us and makes them dragon type. Zekrom and Reshiram didn't look particually "dragon" either.

My guess is that the Y one is Dark/Flying and the X one Grass/Something (I have no clue)

The starters are kinda disappointing, but hopefully there final evolutions will be cool, kind of like Oshawott and Tepig. Also, those trainers are so bad. I thought the male one was the female one at first...
  7. MLaRF

MLaRF

I wouldn't be so sure. Mine included, ruby and sapphire games tend to no longer be able to keep time, so they're starting to lose some functionality. That, along with some mechanical changes that are bound to be introduced and the ones that already have, make me think that they're going to happen before the end of gen 7.
  8. b2j135

b2j135

so why don't we discuss the moves we saw them make:
    http://imgflip.com/i/d51a
    psychic or confusion?

Also what types do you think legend x and legend y are?
    x looks like a cross between a Stantler and Dialga, so I think it could be Normal/Psychic or perhaps Psychic/Steel but because it's in a forest I might be Psychic/Grass or even Grass/Steel. The color however could also make it Water/Normal or Water/Psychic etc.

now for legend y this first the that came to mind as soon a sI saw it was The legend of the Roc, a mythical GIANT bird in real life. I think it is based off of that and might be Dark/Flying, Rock/Flying, Psychic/Flying, or even Steel/Flying, btu because of it's color it may be Fire/Flying etc.

What do you think guys?
  9. d.hgss

d.hgss

what do you people think of the Y legendary to be Fight/Flying?
  10. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Please, X is obviously Dialga Deer Forme. GOHL. Dialga can choose to be a deer at will, as he is lord of the timestream. Alsp, I'm waiting to see Froakie's final evo. Hoping it has a maestro/conductor's cape.
  11. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Gotta say, I'm loving everything I have seen so far. I really like all three starter designs (and names), and the legends look pretty cool too. I like that neither legend really seems to give an overwhelming feeling of any one typing (except, of course flying). While it is unlikely, I wouldn't find it weird if they ended up being just Normal and Flying (or Normal/Flying).

I love the way that the battle scenes look now. And while the loss of sprites would be unfortunate for a sim, for the games themselves, I think it is a fantastic move. Everything just looks so great. Can't wait to see more.
  12. Sidfrid

Sidfrid

I will really like some sort of character customization, like in PBR (i never liked that "hat" the main character use, and screw Ash, i don't want to become like him)
  13. MLaRF

MLaRF

First of all, probably confusion, because first forms are wimpy fucks.
    Secondly, i don't think they chose colourations for the legendaries based on their typing, much like how dialga was a blue steel, palkia a pink water, zekrom a black lightning, and reshiram a white fire (i know the black/white was the whole theme of the gen, but w/e). But i'm aboard the grass/steel or grass/psychic train for Great Forest Spirit, and i'll say dark/flying for the bird because it looks menacing, and psychic-dark would be a cool relationship for them legendaries. Perhaps something like rock/fighting for the last one, to make a nice triangle?
  14. Present

Present

Yeah for more 3DS games! Nah I do not own one (yet).

The starters don't look too disappointing, in my opinion, it just seems to be more and more evident that gamefreak is finding it difficult to design new pokemon. The grass starter looks like a grass-type oshawott, and the fire starter is a bit similar to purrloin. These designs are not that bad, I like them. But the water starter however, I do not like that design. It just looks like a frog. Yeah, a frog. No bonus points for that one. Grass one looks a bit grass-fighting (I know people thought so about oshawott too and they turned out to be wrong), the fire one fire-psychic (psychic-move)and the water one, dunno water-derp. Nah, kidding, I have no idea.

The deer legendary reminds me of snow white and the huntsman and looks a bit like virizion. New flying type could me anything, although flying-ghost would be cool as new typing and all.

ACtually like the swing idea in the trailer, I hope they will introduce a lot of new features and add to the cut/strength/surf department. New HM's or so. I am looking forward to new information.

edit: was the male character roller skating? lol. ANyway, I hope they add more detail the the characters, and possibly pokemon. They look a bit one-colour now, although they look already more detailed than the sprites we have now, so that is a good thing.
  15. -NLMRY-

-NLMRY-

I agree completely, although I'd wager that the flying "Y" monster is part Dark; no idea what the deer will be. I'd also bet that Fennekin will be Fire/Ground as its clearly a Fennec Fox which lives in desert climates.

I agree with this too. I want customization beyond choosing a sprite for multiplayer. Also the sunglasses look dumb...

I gotta say though that I am disappointed that sprites are now a thing of the past. I thought that B/W looked awesome because of the animated sprites; it looked modern but felt old-school.
  16. melvni

melvni
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Well, now that you mention it, its Pokemon X and Y, the third version is likely Pokemon Z, there's a (possible) focus on DNA, and we already have the Kyurem fusions. I'm not so sure I'd be celebrating the end of Dragon-type cover legendaries quite yet:

Anyone Else? (open)
    [​IMG]
  17. MakaiMai

MakaiMai

Yes, very yes.
  18. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I am going to make the following edgy predictions:
    the Water starter is Water-type
    the Grass starter is Grass-type
    the Fire starter is Fire-type

Reasoning: it has been like this for five generations with only one exception (Bulbasaur, and that was back when Poison was almost like an obligatory secondary type for Grass- and Bug types).

Their evolutions might be different, of course...
  19. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick, I knew him, Peter Gabriel too!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

What is really interesting about this game is the cover legends don't appear to be a pair in the same way the Groundon/Kyogre, Dialgia/Palkia, Reshiram/Zekrom are. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but this might end up similarly to how Ho-oh and Lugia operated in they shared an origin story. I could be proven wrong I don't know but the big question here is, cartography or genetics???

Also the presence of the Golurk statue (the other pre-6 mons could be just preview filler) lends the suggestion the main game will use mons from past gens. I did enjoy the magic of gen 6 and having a completely new region, but we also lost out on continuing evolutions of previous forms, but I guess we can't have it all.
  20. b2j135

b2j135

I think we are going to get ALOT of new evolutions to previous Pokemon, it seems like all the even numbered generations always gets these:
    Gen 1, Gen 3 and Gen 5 started out in a new area with completely new original Pokemon but
    Gen 2, & Gen 4 had new Pokemon but also added newer evolutions to older Pokemon!
    I think this is the year we FINALLY get the Dragon Eeveelution as well as the long and overdue Farfetch'd evo and such...I MEAN JUST LOOK AT THIS LIST OF POKES THAT NEED EVOS!
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_that_are_not_part_of_an_evolutionary_line
  21. Calm Pokemaster

Calm Pokemaster
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Chespin's design is a major disappointment for me - it seems the designers just slapped some leaves onto a generic two-legged body design - the detail seems to be missing there somehow ... Froakie resembles Croagunk a lot, but I guess GF continues to stick to the idea of an amphibian Water-type starter.

The 3D world is simply put, amazing, and the battles, even more so! The player FINALLY has the ability to enter buildings as he would irl, and the overhead perspective we have been used to now seems bland =.=

Another thing; is the first time GF is revealing the starter names in multiple languages at the same time? This seems to tie in nicely with the fact that they are releasing a game globally for the first time. No more looking clueless at walls of Japanese text in-game :)
  22. Heroes Fall

Heroes Fall

I dislike playing the 4th and 5th gen on gameboy simply because of the games are not smooth. Especially noticeable in the 3rd generation, those games are crisp and run as they should. I can focus not just on my character as he is moving, but on the environment without it being distorted every step. The new games for DS/3Ds are extremely choppy, don't allow me to look at anything but my character while moving, and don't even look good considering what year we are in. I have games on my phone that look and play much better unfortunately. Maybe I'm spoiled by PC games, but I really don't see why Nintendo neglects their technology so much when they're already milking us so many times a generation.

As for gameplay, I again am going to hope for some revolutions here, but I am not holding out hope. I've played many player-created pokemon games, and the creativity offered by fans of the series is staggering compared to Nintendo. The old formula is just that, old, and these games need an overhaul in my opinion outside of the actual battling system.

Just my little rant, I sincerely hope Nintendo does this series justice.
  23. Rai13

Rai13

That and no more speculation a la Smugleaf :P
  24. The Cicada

The Cicada

the new main male char looks almost exactly like Hilbert and Nate put togethor.
  25. Birkal

Birkal Caw.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

It's interesting to note that Pokemon that are not Generation 6 were being battled with throughout the trailer. Remember, Generation 5 was in "isolation" of the rest of the Pokemon world and insisted that you only play with new Pokemon until you beat the Elite Four. Perhaps they're just using previous gen Pokemon to show off the gameplay, but I have a feeling that Generation 6 will go back to using a mixture of old Pokemon and new Pokemon as you progress throughout the game.

And since they'd have to make less "filler" mons, this could potentially mean that we'll get more of a Generation 4-esque game (DPP), which could also mean more evolutions of already existing Pokemon.

!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)