1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANinyMouse

ANinyMouse

lollollol

Oh my goodness, even one more Hail-related ability is so needed. +Evasion and +6.25% HP is fine, but almost no Ice-types have Ice Body...

I think we will get more, though. In Pokemon Conquest, they had some interesting new ability ideas. Granted, that was a turn-based strategy RPG, but still. Anyway, here's some examples from Conquest:

Frostbite: 10% chance to freeze opponent on direct contact (like Flame Body or Static)
    Skater: Mobility increases on Ice (easily a Hail Chlorophyll)

Frostbite in particular would be interesting. Freeze itself is pretty balanced these days, compared to Gen 1 (the last time it was ever common to see it at all). I think there's a 20% chance to thaw out each turn, including the turn you freeze. That's not much different than the way Sleep works, now. Hey, I'd argue that Sleep is worse since the counter resets if you switch out!
  2. Quickster

Quickster

A Pokemon will be asleep for one to three turns, with an equal chance (33.3% or 1/3) for each result. Freeze can lost for an infinite amount of time, and the chance of thawing out is only 20%. The Sleep counter may reset but at least you're guaranteed wake up eventually, unlike freeze. As long as there isn't an instant freeze move though, it should be okay.
  3. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

My bad on the Simple brain fart. I was thinking right after I posted it and was like "isn't that an ability already" lol anyway...

Those Hail abilities are pretty interesting. They may nerf skater though.
  4. ANinyMouse

ANinyMouse

May as well list some other cool abilities from Conquest. I'm kinda excited to see if any of them make the cut.

Black Hole: Shadow Tag clone
    Deep Sleep: Recovers 12.5% HP each turn while asleep (wow, this would be too powerful coupled with Rest and leftovers...)
    Jagged Edge: Iron Barbs clone for Rock-types
    Hero: Increases Atk & Def if you have less active Pokemon than your opponent.
    Warm Blanket: Recovers 12.5% HP each turn in Bright Sunlight
    Shackle: Chance to lower opponent's speed each turn
    Lullaby: Chance to put opponent to sleep (wow this would be nigh-broken, better give it to Wigglytuff)
    Last Bastion: All stats increase if it's your last Pokemon
  5. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Aaagh Jagged Edge ruined me
    I got so used to seeing it on every Onix in Conquest that I instinctively thought that every Onix & Steelix had it in BW2
  6. b2j135

b2j135

Then what would be the point of evolution in the first place?
    I'm sorry, it's just TOO OP to happen, and if it does...I...I...JUST MIGHT quit Pokemon for a while...
  7. Nyara

Nyara

Great post, I love those abilities from Conquest, Wigglytuff really needs Lullaby and rock dudes need Jagged Edge, but actually, all those abilities could work really wonderful on a good sort of Pokémon, and the names fits to a good number of Pokémon that needs it!
  8. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

I don't think a pokemon with deep sleep would be OP, as long as it didn't have rest talk. If it did, then we'd probably see more Dream Eaters. Hero may be OP though, idk really. Warm Blanket is interesting, kind of surprised they haven't made an ability like this already, we do have Ice Body and Rain Dish. Last Bastion is DEFINITELY broken. Unless it's on a crappy pokemon.
  9. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

I feel like Last Bastion could only be broken on Pokémon that could survive the battle to the end...besides, unless you had amazing predicting abilities to keep this Pokémon until the very end, there's a good chance that it would either die earlier in the battle or just be a dead-weight until it's the last Pokémon.

I guess it'd better be a Dragon-type. :3
  10. Yveltal

Yveltal

Ice types are kinda dangerous as is. The only progress I think they would receive is whatever they need to stay current. A new move with the same 10% chance of freezing, maybe(i repeat, MAYBE) a new pokemon with Snow Warning. overall, it kinda depends what dual attribute ice-types we might see and what signature moves could come along. A pokemon that has a higher chance of freezing would have either horrible stats or a bad move pool.
    Game Freak might be over estimating the power of freeze status, which is why ice types get bad coverage, but...hmm...
  11. Champion Steve

Champion Steve

Ah, Last Bastion. That was so ridiculously OP. Double stats if you were the last one standing was so powerful that I generally didn't bother with team mates. Still, the most OP ability (and the one I hope no-one suggests in earnest) was Conqueror. To anyone who hasn't played Conquest, it worked like Moxie. Except it boosted all your stats one stage.
  12. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

These tags are amazing.
  13. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

Another thing that I desire for this new Gen VI is an improvement to Grass-types. Maybe a Grass-type with Tinted Lens, or a Grass-type V-Create, or even better, if they were to change the type chart, they could remove some resistances to Grass, or even better, make more types weak to it. Grass-types could also have better movepools, and more secondary types that would give them better coverage. For example, a Grass/Fire Pokémon, that would miss out Dragon-types or Fire-types; Hidden Power Ice or Ground, respectively, would easy solve this.
  14. Blazen

Blazen

What? Ice type is one of the worst types in the game. Ice attacks are decent (especially when coupled with Electric attacks), but the Ice type itself is pretty bad because of it's poor defensive abilities. It only resists Ice, and takes extra damage from Steel, Rock, Fire, and Fighting attacks.
  15. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

^this

Yeah, all this crap about changing the type chart is ridiculous. Until there is something directly from GF, I highly, HIGHLY doubt that there will be any change as far as type coverage. New abilities; yeah. New moves; yeah. New type chart; lmao no. I know GF constantly tries to lure in new players, which is partly the reason that every other gen is basically a brave new world, but I don't think they would forgo their origins just because we have a new gen. I want new type combos and abilities, but all this nonsense about "light types" and new coverage would be kind of a slap in the face.
  16. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

I hope Game Freak gives us a souped-up Abomasnow or at least a Hail-abuser (like Syclant in CAP). That way I could finally use my beloved Walrein outside of NU and not feel like a terrible person. :3
  17. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

Concerning abilities...

Gen. III introduced abilities. All Pokémon got one or two of them to use or abuse at their heart's content.

Gen. IV introduced more abilities. Many Pokémon who previously only had one ability, now got two to choose between.

Gen. V introduced yet more abilities. Thanks to the Dream World, Pokémon who earlier had two abilities now could get a third one too.

For each generation since Abilities were introduced, both old and new Pokémon have been able to use the newest ones. GameFreak have never released a mechanic that only applies to Pokémon of the current generation.

Question is... will we see more abilities in Gen. V? This is highly likely, but if so, how many, and how will they handle them?
    Will they make it so that most Pokémon get three abilities, filling in the "empty slots" of those with only one or two? Then what about the odd three hundred Pokémon which already have three abilities, would they neglect those?
    Or would they somehow make it so that Pokémon can have four abilities?
    What if they didn't add any new abilities at all, deciding that those we already have are sufficient?
    Perhaps they even overhaul the ability system altogether, replacing it with... heck if I know.
  18. labarith

labarith

I'd prefer a Coil Variant... Accuracy is interesting and all, but hardly useful outside of increasing hypnosis and 70accuracy moves...
    Increasing critical hit rate by 2 stages is pretty awesome... I don't know that I like the drawback though, seems like it'd make it useless. In fact, without a special attack bonus I don't think it'd see any play even w/o the speed decrease.
    Why would it be BPed? And that's more or less just confusion - even if it isn't.
    Why not accuracy by 1 stage, like other choice items?
    I don't get it...
  19. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Don't diss Electivire, he's fucking awesome
  20. Preved Medved

Preved Medved

Last Bastion looks even worse when you see that its users include Dragonite and Tyranitar
  21. Blazen

Blazen

A Coil variant would be nice, but I figured with the low distribution of it, and Quiver Dance that this would have a higher chance of being given to decent Pokemon.

I guess it depends on the Pokemon using it. I mainly want to see if it's possible to make a Crit fishing Sweeper.

Confusion is Baton Passed, that was the main reason, though that part should probably be removed considering what Disobedience can do. Also, there are a lot more downsides to Disobedience. The Pokemon might fall asleep. It might use a different attack (imagine it using a Fire attack on Heatran, or something similar). It can even hurt itself in Confusion, like Confused Pokemon would.

I figured because this item raises 2 stats, but I can reconsider.

Mainly, this would be a new way to keep your health up. You heal more that you would with Leftovers, but at the cost of only using 1 move. Though I did mess up on my math. I think the healing should be lowered to maybe 10-12.5%.
  22. Nyara

Nyara

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Just leaving that there, we all knows how Game Freak loves him.

Also, Last Bastion could be just a x1.25 buff than anything else, it could still make it powerful, but not as much as other abilities that they had, already. Even x1.50 Tyranitar could be being less used as Sandstorm Tyranitar, but x1.25 seems a more balanced buff, for example, it's easy to OHKO a x1.25 Dragonite with Ice Beam than a Multiscale Dragonite activated.
  23. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Last Bastion should be implemented but given only to Bastiodon as an exclusive ability

It will still never see use
  24. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

That would actually make sense.
  25. cocoon

cocoon

Do you guys think it's possible GF might change the evolution mechanics and allow luvdisc to evolve into almolawhatever?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)