1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

No, despite their colour schemes, similar appearance, and identical typing, they are based on completely different species of fish, so I don't think GF has any plans to make Luvdisc evolve anytime soon.
  2. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!
    is a Community Contributor

I don't think them being different species of fish really has anything to do with why they wouldn't do it. A lot of Pokemon are clearly based off different species than their evolutions so why the heck would that change anything?

No, I say it isn't going to happen because retroactively making two already existing Pokemon evolutionary linked not only hasn't been done before, but goes against the way Pokemon has been formatting evolutionary lines forever. I just don't see gamefreak retconning their own game like that.
  3. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Ultimate troll move: Introduce a new pre-evolution discus fish that can evolve into either Luvdisc or Alomomola
  4. Codraroll

Codraroll

Even if they never connect Alomomola and Luvdisc by evolutionary means, there should be an NPC in one of the games referring to their similarity. At least GameFreak should recognise how awfully much they look like each other.
  5. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

I see where you're coming from - Caravanha and Shapedo are prime examples. I think the point I was trying to make was that if they wanted to connect the two pokémon via evolution, then they would have done it when Black and White were first released.
  6. Scorpio

Scorpio

7. lugia994

lugia994

in my opinion i think that the starters are getting worse as are some of the other pokemon designs, for instance vanilluxe and chandellure, i mean are you kidding me, a ice cream cone and an expensive light? i think they need to re think their methods that way but ilike the concept of the legendaries for this one (if im right).

i think that the way they are going this one will be that Xerneas (deer pokemon) will be phychic due to the fluttering colours in the antlers which if i remember correctly are the same colors used in the anime for sabrina's alakazams use of psychic on ash/pikachu. i also believe that grass secondary typing is relevant as it was in a forest but i could be wrong.

Yveltal is the one im looking forward to as dark types are my favorite and i believe it is dark typing dye to the colouring of it, it is red, purple and black and doesnt seem to have any ghostly trail left behind by it (the biggest indicator to me that it is dark is the face and claws) and its secondary typing will be flying for obvious reasons.

Now for the fun bit, Pokemon Z (pretty sure it has to be this) I believe that this pokemon will be based of a serpent similar to rayquazza or elektross because thats really the only way i can think that they could give the pokemon the shaping of a Z (xerneas = x in name and looks like an X in the trailer, Yveltal exactly the same) i believe it will be a ghost type pokemon due to the typing of the other two (i categorize psychic, dark and ghost as a trio of typing such as fire, water, grass) and i also believe that its secondary typing will be water completing another trio due to air, land and ocean.

the only thing that i am doubting is the typing of yvetal simply because of its name, its made in resemblance to Wyvern which is a branching type of dragon but other than that im going with

Psychic/grass - Xerneas
    Dark/Flying - Yveltal
    Ghost/ Water - ???
  8. Preved Medved

Preved Medved

Super Ultimate Troll Move:Give Delibird and Luvdisc two pre-evos,making them the last stage of their families and sending to trash once and for all any hopes they have of evolving.
  9. Preved Medved

Preved Medved

The most uncreative and ridiculous pokemon design,a puddle of mud:[​IMG]And Gamefreak made it twice on gen 1:[​IMG]
  10. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

Don't you dare dig on Ditto. He's gotten more tail than you ever will.

Also, Muk isn't dirt, it's pollution.
  11. deluge

deluge

Actually, this is not true! Tyrogue!
    It was introduced in Gen II and became the pre-evo of Gen I Pokemon Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan who were previously unrelated. Then they threw in a third evolution, Hitmontop, for good measure.

Most evolutionary lines follow a simple pattern but theyv'e done some weird things. Magmar's evolutionary line got a pre-evo in gen II and an evo in Gen IV. Manaphy is a legendary that can breed but which produces a Pokemon that is not related to it by evolution.
  12. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Chandelure's cool. Vanniluxe....eh, not so much. But don't forget there's bad designs in every region (Grimer, Voltorb, Gulpin, Medicham, Delibird, etc)
  13. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

Define getting worse. Personally, I don't think it's all that creative when the pokemon just look like any animal I can see throughout my day. Birds, crabs, fish, stuff like this is kind of like a lazy design in my opinion. However, it does have merit, especially for the "common" pokemon, so I can understand and appreciate it. For you to give two examples of pokemon based off inanimate objects and say "the designs are getting worse" (and I know you aren't the only one) is just kind of silly when you look at all the other generations and the organic pokemon based off inorganic things. Pokemon are supposed to be fanciful beings with incredible power, so I guess this kind of thing just doesn't bother me as much as other people. Oh well, maybe I'm just better at suspending reality (not sure that's a good thing).

FACT!!
  14. Yveltal

Yveltal

Yes, exactly. Game Freak is over estimating the benefits of ice-types, so they made them out to be bad overall
  15. Nyara

Nyara

Ice Types were always great on Pokémon, until Gen IV, and mostly because Stealth Rock, and the arise of Figthers mostly thanks to Close Combat (that urges a debuff, anyway), because they on the past were the unique viable Dragon Killers, and it's STAB were almighty, and it's defensive power was pretty good. Stealth Rock and Close Combat are mostly the unique reason why you don't see Ice Types on OU or even UU at all.

Metagames without Stealth Rock makes Ice Types to shine, on Doubles, it's Blizzard on Hail are the best offensive power of the entire doubles metagame, and is one of few ways to check the powerful dragons with it's even more powerful Draco Meteors, and Close Combat is not (so) overpowered as it only stricke a single Pokémon per time, and it leaves you prone to die by the partner of your victim.

Still, they needs a support on the defensive side, as they are really hard to switch-in, and the defensive icy Pokémon tends to sucks as hell, I think they should resist Water or at least the defensive ones have an ability to absorb or resist water; like Lapras, but wtih more distribution (Lapras's NU title is only because it's weak to Stealth Rock and because it can't heal up well at all).
  16. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

This generation will probably be quite similar to the 2nd gen, because of how similar Gen 5 was to the 1st.

Knowing this, I think Throh/Sawk will get a prevo as well as a Green or Yellow fighter for the full trio. I think it would also be nice if Throh/Sawk/the other one would evolve as well. Would be pretty nice.

Something along the lines of Throh becoming 140/120/105/30/105/65 and Sawk becoming 95/145/95/30/95/105

I really hope they also give Drain Punch to Throh/Sawk. Would be very helpful.
  17. Yveltal

Yveltal

We're never gonna get it, but what I want is a fast ice type that comes with a higher chance of freezing the opponent (because ice types can totally have their own version of Serene Grace) when using a freezing technique. It's a pretty one-dimensional wish

PS, I did the math on how many type combinations there are. There's a possible 289, but since order isn't really a neccesity (Grass-Poison pokemon and Poison-Grass Pokemon are both with the benefits and drawbacks of Posion types and grass types, and are essentially copies of each other attribute-wise), there are 153 genuine type combinations. Currently, 108 of those combinations are in use in the games. There are 45 unused combos.
  18. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

Someone made this point earlier, and you guys are being way too critical. Ditto is ditto. It's supposed to look like that, and it would never look different, because that would be stupid. Muk is toxic waste come to life I believe, and hating on it isn't getting you any points. If you aren't satisfied by these, you must not be satisfied with garbodor, among others, which shows a disturbing lack of love for the game. Don't hate the pokemon. The developers did a great job, and hating on their creations makes you no better than a ranting cod player who still buys the games despite their dislike. It's annoying, and I would prefer to not hear it.
  19. labarith

labarith

Even w/o a smogon nix on evasion, increasing accuracy is generally regarded as "nothing", so while it reads +2 to you, it reads +1 to everyone else.
    Which is impossible if you nix it's speed, don't increase it's special attack, or don't ensure a critical hit. You'd be better off doubling damage by critical hits, which could be abused with the ensured critical hits...
    You just love pairing those 2 stats, which you shouldn't make a habit of.
    It's just Leftovers-part2, with an annoying restriction. It makes next to no sense competitively or not.

Anyways...
    I kind of want another Imposter and another Illusion pokemon. Maybe put it on a horrible pokemon with no evolution (Kecleon I'm looking at you...), but I think maybe it'd be better to just do a low HP "Mirror" pokemon that can have either of the abilities?
  20. Jimera0

@deluge
    No no I actually remembered Tyrogue this time, I just worded it poorly. I mean never have they taken two existing Pokemon and made one evolve into the other. While Tyrogue connected Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan, they did not make one of them evolve into the other. THAT is the sort of thing Gamefreak has never done.

@lugia994

I don't think that it's the case at all that each generation is getting worse designs. Sure you can point out shitty designs in generation V (Vanilluxe probably being the most infamous) but there are terribly designed pokemon in EVERY generation (Most of Generation I were practically straight rip-offs of real life animals for goodness sake).

I think a heavy dose of Nostalgia filter is in play for most of us here; because we have such fond memories of the early generations we just naturally view them as superior even though objectively they're probably on very equal footing. I mean look at some of the designs from Generation V that WERE really good; Haxorus, Gigalith, Snivy, Carracosta, and more. When you're releasing over 100 new designs in every generation, you're bound to be hit and miss.
  21. Nyara

Nyara

Even if you do, that will not change it's huge NU status on singles as the unique reason why they weren't being used is because Stealth Rock + Close Combat, even if you make them a 100% freeze attack with 100 accuracy it will not change it's current status at all, sadly. Unless Close Combat and Stealth Rock get a debuff or it's spread is retooled, it will never and never change, but you can still enjoy them on doubles and triples, as Blizzard really rocks over there, and hazards are almost not existent, and Close Combat is not a so OP move. Other possibility to make them viable again is just make them resistant to Water, that could help a lot, but I think it's not so probably as a debuff to two moves.

Also, I think the same as CynicalGiant, for some reason, I think they will try to do more than one balance things, and introduce new tactics and ways to play around with different Pokémon like they did from the 1st to 2nd Generation, those pre-evolutions will be good, too.

About the designs; rebember that the designs of every Pokémon existent to the time are do by the same designer, thus, it's the exactly same style (minimal differences over the time, but still the same), and it's really good and excelent in my opinion. I think it's best time where the designs of 2nd Generation, as almost everyone loves each one of them (maybe except Azumarill and Delibird, they sucks), but even then, it's designs for the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5ve were really good anyway, of course; everyone have it's own tastes, so, not everyone will love each Pokémon, and know what? They did with that intention, in that way people picks differents Pokémon for it's teams.
  22. The Cicada

The Cicada

23. Yveltal

Yveltal

It was meant to be just that. If you're paying enough attention, the image is a fake "Pochama" evo. Pochama is the japanese name for Piplup. Someone created it as a gag for an evolved Piplup idea.

It does look more like a Delibird, though. Maybe because...it's got a rockhopper sort of feel to it?
  24. Jimera0

Unless I miss my guess (and it IS just a guess), that looks like a fakemon that was designed as a possible look for an evolution of Piplup when they were in the same speculation stage for Diamond and Pearl that we're at now with X and Y. Basically, the same way people have been designing potential evolutions for these starters, people probably did the same with the Gen IV starters and that was likely a result of that.

I have to say though that it is a SERIOUSLY well done concept for a fake Piplup evolution. It captures the Pokemon style PERFECTLY. Whoever drew that needs some serious kudos.
  25. shockwave527

shockwave527

It is a fake pokemon, which was made to fool people into thinking it was an evolution of piplup as a false rumor.

http://serebii.net/fakes/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)