1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLaRF

MLaRF

in-depth critique of the original "spoiler" post under the cut.

read more --> (open)

No major problem with these first two paragraphs, except for the fact that he (I'm going to assume he due to my interpretations of his typing style, and because it has less letters than she) claims to have climbed up the corporate ladder so quickly despite never having worked on a larger-scale game, especially considering nintendo is a pretty high-end company, which i'd say you can think of as basically the pixar of japanese gaming. I somehow doubt he'd be chosen for promotion so quickly without any big-time experience. But that's really just nitpicking and it makes me look pretentious. Which I probably am, but that's not important right now. What I'm truly suspicious of is the fact that he came out to the english community rather than the japanese community.

The three version thing is a lie, as we could all see. Considering this is the first and most influential information he gave us, that's a pretty shitty first impression. As for the naming, it could theoretically be interpreted as "X and Y are placeholders," until you realize the legendaries are based on those symbols, and the DNA theme included in the logo. So no, these are most likely the final names of the game. Also, pokemon's never released a game with an altered name before, at least as long as I've been paying attention. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is worded very oddly to begin with. It's all in 3D, so that obviously means the models in the next half of that statement are the 3D kind of models and not 2D images, but he specifies that some are hand-drawn, as opposed to what? All 3D models are made digitally, you can't just stick a material model in there. They're also all drawn by people and not robots, so it can't be interpreted in some weird way like that. And he says it's fully 3D, so he can't mean it includes 2D images like I initially thought. Even if it did mean that, it would be a bunch of balogna because we saw that there isn't anything like that in the trailer! So that makes 2/2 paragraphs disproved almost entirely.

Okay, what does pressure-based movement have to do with 3D or the 3DS? Other than maybe the directional stick but woo-hoo, smash bros 1 did that. As for free-form movement, you can notice in the trailer that the player moved in a sharp 90-degree angle without sliding smoothly into it or stopping to readjust. I'm pretty sure this game is going to stay grid-based.

No real problem here, except that simplifying the EV/IV system wouldn't really bring any more appeal to either group? Casual players tend to not give a shit about stat differences between members of a species at all, while the system is really not complicated at all for competative players. You have random IV's out of 31, and EV's that total to 510 and don't go higher in any stat than 255. What's there to simplify? The EV system is even a linear progression of 4:1.

He says it's less plot-focused (I personally say that's impossible considering the first 2 generations were about as plot focused as a sitcom), but then goes on to say that the basic story of gyms and an evil team still crops up. That's exactly as much story as the first 2 games! How can you call this one less plot-focused? I'll give the benefit of doubt when it comes to the possibility of biosaurs biospheres in a spaceship, because what we've seen so far does not actually rule out the possibility of dinospheres biospheres on a spaceship existing.

First of all, the concept of how the digital type works is... kinda stupid. Why wouldn't they just make an ability? And why would they make a type that specifically works like that? How would you make a "digital" attack that can't just be electric or something? This seems really silly as a typing concept. Last paragraph coming up.

There was no mini-movie released alongside the titles. Game freak also said they wouldn't give up the fire-water-grass starter trio, so we can safely assume that the pokemon we saw in the trailer were the starters, and considering how recently the interview they said that in was released, I highly, highly doubt such a dramatic change would have been decided on in such a short time. Also, it goes on to state that the starter will be the box mascot, along with its evolutions. Either these two statements conflict, or they both conflict together with the original statement of 3 versions (which is a lie because there are only 2, as opposed to the 4 we would need).

All in all, the article is riddled with so many lies that you can assume the implausibilities are also lies.

Thanks for reading,
    --MLaRF

2. mluck24

mluck24

I wouldn't get too excited about the starters.

Snivy was probably the coolest looking starter in a long time... and then it became surperior........ blehhh
  3. labarith

labarith

Bull.

X/Digital is functionally equivalent to X/X, which is already a possibility if GF wanted to.

We already have "normal" Porygon, and steel types. I don't see what having a digital type would do other than really make Porygon die to Mach Punch.

While, in theory, I would be open to a new type or two, it really shouldn't be epically stupid. Pokemon cards has to do gimicky metal and dark and dragon types; the games don't.
  4. OVERGRO

OVERGRO

Guys, take this in:

The game is due in 9 months worldwide. Like Nintendo is pregnant with the game.

The X and Y are clearly referring to chromosomes, as seen in the Japanese logos. (Why not the English? Oh well ... we can't have everything.)

Anyways, making babies anyone? Starting a new life, creation of a new being?

LIKE THE BIRTH OF A BOLD NEW DIRECTION FOR THE GAME.

THE RE-BIRTH OF THE FRANCHISE.

That is all :) I hope I was the first person to post about this ridiculous "coincidence."
  5. mluck24

mluck24

It is probably dealing more with the axis on a cortesion coordinate system. Of course the following game will be z with little doubt. X and Y deal with left/right and up/down respectively, and the z is the 3 dimensional part, which makes since because of the push of 3 dimensions
  6. Garagara

Garagara

Gonna give some input on Gen VI. Saw reveal right before work and was super excited all day to go home and browse forums and speculate, cause I'm cool like that.

To everyone saying there's gonna be a secondary typing of psychic/dark/fighting, I don't understand. That's not even a balanced trio. Dark is completely immune to psychic, giving dark an advantage over the other two. There's only one type combination that works as perfectly as fire/water/grass, and that's rock/fighting/flying.

Personally love the starters. They're simple, and each caters to a group. Fox is beauty, frog is adorkable, porcupine is happy go lucky. I'm glad that Chespin seems to be liked the least, I love him. Earlier post saying that chespin is most likely a porcupine was amazing, and spot on I think. Hoping he's a defensive mon with a good defensive typing. Find it very strange that the starters have largely moved away form tradition however. Fire is usually an animal from the zodiac, grass has always been a reptile, and water's always some aquatic animal, which it still is.

While the supposed leak with the digital typing is pretty bogus, I'm absolutely on board with adjusting bst's, at least a little. Power creep has gotten too huge. I'm missing some old favourites, and the more they can bring back into competitive play, the better.

Also just want to say how stupid awesome the flying legendary is. Look at its wings!! Both wings and the tail have huge claws on them. I could just imagine it pulling a gligar and clamping on to someones face.
  7. The Steam Punk

The Steam Punk

My thoughts on the starters:
    Chespin: a chipmunk badly impersonating Slowking. Just look at its hat-thing!
    Fennekin: someone interbred Zorua and Ninetales...
    Froakie: a frog that wants to be Altaria.

I just don't get these guys. Hopefully, their evos will make sense.
  8. BSatallite

BSatallite

Next,pokemon Z :3
  9. Garagara

Garagara

Little harsh Steam Punk. Although Fennekin does look a lot like Zorua, and we already have a fire fox. I feel like it'll change a lot for its final evo though.
  10. Anartya

Anartya

The game scenery looks great. But can we please change some of the mechanics like the IV system.

THIS...seriously. Why are BSTs of starters not equal?

Swampert ~ 535 BST
    Charizard, Typhlosion, Infernape ~ 534 BST
    Sceptile, Blaziken, Feraligatr, Blastioise, Empoleon ~ 530 BST
    Serperior, Emboar, Samurott ~ 528 BST
    Meganium, Venusaur, Torterra ~ 525 BST

Am I the only one bothered by this. Why is grass so unloved?
  11. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Is this just an illusion or perspective?
    [​IMG]

Does anybody else see that the "leaves" on Chespin's helmet become sharper when it is attacking with Solarbeam and -debated move-?

I am really liking the details in the 3D models!
  12. Devidra

Devidra

I honestly woke up this morning and forgot to check in with the news, didnt think much of it since i cynically thought it was just another spin off or possibly a remake. Checked back in the afternoon and was totally blown away. I did not see a new gen coming this soon. I actually like the design of the starters even if the grass one makes me think of pachirisu. I also like the Y legendary, reminds me of the Helmaroc King. All in all i wont pass judgment on anything till i get the full details. Looking forward to October, ill keep myself busy with Monster Hunter 3U on my 3ds in the meantime.
  13. IncantareFox

IncantareFox

Hate to keep going to the move debate, but I really wouldn't be surprised if Night Slash and AA have similar animations now due to them being sword-based attacks. It looks like that Golurk is getting hit three times, too.
  14. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

Jesus...they DO get sharper. O.o
  15. Deaga

Deaga

Because Fight, Steel and Ground make a perfectly balanced trio, right?
  16. AJ34

AJ34

Something that especially caught my eye was the 3D animation that the pokemon now have when using or being hit by a move. This will be amazing.

I am wondering as to how big the pokedex will get here, its pretty huge already, how much more can you add. This better not be like BW 1 where only Unova pokemon could be found...
  17. NatGeo

NatGeo sun's coming up
    is a Contributor Alumnus

All I have to say is

Woah
  18. The Cicada

The Cicada

am I the only one who thinks its possible the moves the starters used were new moves?
  19. MLaRF

MLaRF

No one was hoping for a fight-steel-ground trio, everyone has always wanted just another balanced trio, regardless of what game freak made in the end.

Also, to someone who asked above, the other properly working trio would be grass-poison-ground, though there would be the problem in both of those combinations of those types being effected by the main fire-water-grass typing.
  20. AJ34

AJ34

Wait a minute!
    What is PS going to do about sprites!?!?!?!?
    They are all animated now!!!!!!!
  21. Garagara

Garagara

Not saying it is, but a lot of posts have been saying it's a perfect inverse triangle, which it isn't.

ONe thing I think would be amazing is if they finished every type combination. There's really not that many left. And a fire/steel. I hate using heatran.
  22. Fallen Icarus

Fallen Icarus

First of all, Chespin is awesome.
    Why?
    Because porcupines are awesome... lol.
    anyone see a grass/ground coming up on chespin?
    of course the fire/psychic on that foxmon
    im not sure about the frog, but maybe since its a bit foggy, flying or electric?
    just my 2 cents... :I

(the leaves really did get sharper... O.O)
  23. PWN Ninja

PWN Ninja

Who else thinks Frogger (Froakie) will be Water/Fighting?
    i mean seriously, I can just imagine Frogger and its evolutions as Yoda-style martial arts toad sages.
  24. Subject 18

Subject 18 Forever Childish.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

I'm thinking the moves go like this

Chespin
    Move 1: Solarbeam - even though I think its too early for it to have learn that before evolving.
    Move 2: Scratch - again too early for it have learned something like Night Slash or Shadow Claw.

Fennekin
    Move 1: Ember - nothing too special there.
    Move 2: Growl - really early for it to have learned Psywave, Psychic or anything of the sort.

Froakie
    Move 1: Water Gun - really the only thing that would be logical
    Move 2: Quick Attack - Maybe a new move with the sparks that it gives off but maybe its just the animation for Quick Attack

Those are just my thoughts
  25. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Wow cool catch Scepticallistic, they're definitely spikier when it attacks.

Scratch wouldn't affect Golurk and it could be said its too early for it to have learned Solar Beam. It's all new, no one knows.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)