1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

3000!

and yeah, Viking Frog FTW!!! We can call it Vifroak, and it can have a special item like Stick and Bone Club that's a battleaxe. Actually, a special ingame item for the starters would be a pretty cool and new idea.
  2. Yveltal

Yveltal

I agree. They really should bring back the Vs Seeker machanic from FireRed and LeafGreen. If you hit up the same trainer a couple of times in a short amount of time, their pokemon would be at a much higher level. I remember this Youngster outside of Vermillion City that had a Spearow and some other stuff. The first time you challenge him they're lv 20-something, but you try to challenge him immediately after beating him and he's looking to fight, he suddenly has a lv 56 Fearow and an evolved high-level team to match.
    Yeah, programming in additional teams for NPCs is a pain, but there are ways to make it less intensive on the game card and yet still exciting.
  3. Wishy

Wishy

I hope the main story is not so linear like BW was. Maybe allow for some "sequence breaking" with the gyms, or have alternate paths? Also I hope the region is big and has lots to explore, plenty of post-game stuff and optional dungeons.
  4. shockwave527

shockwave527

Something I want to see in XY that will never happen:
    MULTIPLE SAVE FILES

At least 2
    Come on
    Please?
    I don't want to have to restart to play through again, or to play challenge mode

Or, some kind of option that lets you pick an egg, hatch it at level 5, and play through the adventure again with that as your starter. All trainers and leaders would be back and ready to battle. This would also allow you to go to the pc and do a "mode transfer." This would basically allow you to switch between the two games, no pokemon crossing over. Then, when you beat the second play through, the game files merge. And you can do it again.

Please Game Freak?
    Please?
  5. IcyMan28

IcyMan28

Naturally skeptical about the starter rumors, but I would love for that triangle to be the case. We've seen what Grass/Steel has done for Ferrothorn in OU, Fire/Psychic just fits perfectly, and Water/Electric is one of my favorite typings. It could also somewhat explain the blue marks on Froakie's attack in the trailer.

Hurry up, February.
  6. TaiCrunch

TaiCrunch

My idea would be a New Game+ option. Once you beat the Elite Four, you have the option of starting a new adventure. Everything starts fresh, but all your original Pokemon and items will be stored in an inaccessible part of the PC (you can still put together a Battle Box for a spur-of-the-moment Pokemon party), which you would have access to again after beating the Elite Four. That, and adding a bit more variety to what kinds of wild Pokemon appear the second time around would finally give the games some replayability without having to throw away hours of work.
  7. MyNameIsRicky

MyNameIsRicky

I made a picture, I hope you guys like it :)

[​IMG]
  8. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Haha, that's brilliant!
  9. shockwave527

shockwave527

That's kind of like mine, accept I think the "mode transfer" would be good. That way, the old Pokémon are inaccessible, yet you can switch over to them if you want without effecting the game and do wifi battles and trades still.
  10. TaiCrunch

TaiCrunch

DNA DIGIVOLVE
  11. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

Show Hide

Seems legit.
  12. Count Serperior

Count Serperior

Dude, I can't believe you did those then got Chespin wrong!
    He's obviously Piplup/Oshawott + Nuzleaf! XD

Some of those rumors sound great, especially the starter types and inspiration.
    The Arabian Genie/Jinn would be cool (finally something based on my culture <_<); he should totally have a new "---- wish" move that has 1 pp. 3 with PP Ups hahaha
  13. MyNameIsRicky

MyNameIsRicky

I was gonna do Oshawott at first, but I already used it for Froakie. Look at Charmander's color, pose and tail; they all look identical to Chespin's. Good call on Piplup though, I didn't notice that, but they're very similar as well.
  14. Count Serperior

Count Serperior

I think they noticed how Piplup's characteristics worked out very well with their target audience and continued the trend with Oshawott. (and now with Chespin)

It's logical, but I really hope this doesn't become a trend with every generation : /
  15. MyNameIsRicky

MyNameIsRicky

It already is a trend, Pokemon has found a niche in which it attracts new players who are young because of the cute sprites (now polygons) for starters, and holds onto the old players with advanced battling mechanics and more maturely styled Pokemon with blades and such. I wish Game Freak was more ambitious, but it seems they want to keep the main series formulaic due to its success. I'm planning on playing Conquest and other side games to see if they deviate from the childish style the others have settled into.
  16. Infernis

Infernis

Tiny arms and a big head? Let's see here.

Chespin, Oshawott, Piplup, Chimchar, Torchic, Treecko, Totodile, and Charmander all had impossibly large heads and tiny, useless arms. It may not be structurally sound, but it's adorable. Many Pokemon look like that, and I expect many more will do so in the future.
  17. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

Like I said, what do you mean more "mature"? Are you trying to say more serious conversations? Or more mature looking pokemon? Because there are. In fact few pokemon with a 3rd evolution look "cute". Actually, it really i relative. So what do you consider mature?
  18. MyNameIsRicky

MyNameIsRicky

Yes, I was referring to the Pokemon. Mons like Haxorus, Excadrill, and Bisharp appeal to teenagers and adults, the original fans of Pokemon.
  19. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

I'm not really sure if they appeal to only the original fans, because everyone has different tastes. I like bisharp. I also like jigglypuff, clefairy, galvantula, and mienshao, which most people will not describe as mature. Mature is not intended to mean cool. It could be your interpretation, and I'm fine with that.
    But the point is, pokemon don't cater to a certain group. Saying that is a disservice to the fans who might like other things.
  20. MyNameIsRicky

MyNameIsRicky

I agree with you completely, I think I'm just not being clear. I was talking about how I think Pokemon is great because it appeals to so many groups of people. I was saying, though there are many styles with which Pokemon are designed, the starters tend to be cuter because they are usually the face of the games, and cuteness appeals to the largest amount of people. Something like Klinklang will never be a starter because not many people would like it.
  21. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

That does make sense. I'd say whether something can be a starter or not comes down to a few things.
    1.Has three evolutions, the first 10-20, the second 30-40
    2. Has a cutesy 1st form, and a cool last form. If not cool, (meganium)
    then it needs an a reason for not looking cool, like how meganium supports and can aso defend (I think)
    3. Is always based on an actually animal (even meganium, which is a minature brontosaurus or something.)
    That's it actually.
  22. -NLMRY-

-NLMRY-

While you're complaining about others' interpretation of the word 'mature', you're throwing "cool" around as an objective term, lol. I'd say that Meganium, and to a lesser degree Swampert, would both also fit into the "cute" category and may appeal to little girls more than little boys (little is used because of GF's target demographic). And yes, Haxorus looks both more "mature" and "cool", as in designed to appeal to teenagers and little boys.

For the record, I think Haxorus looks like a big bag of Garbador and does not appeal to me as an adult, or a male (whatever that means, as if something should appeal to me as either). I prefer "cute" monsters such as Jirachi, Celebi. Espeon has been my favorite since its debut in 2000, followed by Ho-Oh, who at the time looked really "cool" to me (now it's nostalgia). Everything is subjective.

The starters are usually the 'face' of the games in terms of advertising (commercials, plush dolls, toys, cards) and the anime (Ash will probably end up with all three, although I can't really say as I haven't watched since the Orange Islands); however the Legendary monsters are on the cover and probably appeal more to little boys browsing the game aisle than little girls.
  23. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Less analyzing the target demographic of Pokémon, more X&Y discussion.
    Do you think they'll release any new info in the new CoroCoro next month?
  24. Yveltal

Yveltal

They might reveal the official character art for the player characters, the name of a city or two, and a few new Pokes. But they've got eight or nine more issues to publish, so the information will likely be a little more spread out than before. It used to be they would have six or seven issues to publish prerelease info, and the longer wait time for a projected release date means they have to orchestrate ther leaks with even greater care.
  25. Infernis

Infernis

I don't know if he'll need them. There's a Japanese trailer floating around that involves the return of fuckin' Charizard as he fights Reshiram, so... game over, man.

Wild metagame speculation: What, competitively speaking, would happen if Stealth Rock only dealt half its current damage?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)