1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yveltal

Yveltal

I think Yveltal might draw inspiration from Zu, a mythological bird with a lions head (Yveltal has one FABULOUS mane).
    If X and Y follow Akkadian religious beliefs instead, then Xerneas could be based off of Dara, a Sumerian deer god.
    This is more far-off speculation, but it could mean the introduction of an Ishtar-based pokemon! I always wanted a pink war-mongerer pokemon :D
  2. b2j135

b2j135

well I've given some thought about it...fear is an emotion, and emotions come from the mind...and most attacks moves that use the mind are psychic moves, and psychic moves primarily sp.atk moves so...
  3. Zowayix

Zowayix

We got that in BW2. Unova's certainly changed in the 2 years since BW.
  4. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Chansey and Blissey.

Again, why do we need to be able to screw Special attackers that much?
  5. Snappy

Snappy

Yeah, grinding anything with a water weakness slowed massively around level 30 when all the trainers were gone and there was nothing of proper level but miles and miles of ocean.
  6. Infernis

Infernis

But exploring the wild seas and their countless dive holes, rock mazes, and dozens of trainers was a fun time. Admittedly it proved nigh-impossible to level up my Graveler, but my Magneton and Manectric did shockingly well.

EDIT: Fuck wild Tentacool sideways with a rake, though. Seriously.
  7. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

I didnt really get the proper exploration vibe from that game, all I got was boring land routes and copious amounts of boring sea routes. I cant really imagine a remake fixing any of that, since people would be buying it to experience all of the pros and cons of the original title, trying to relive their past, rather than buying a title simply because its a new and innovative game. Im against remakes. At least each generation tries to give me something new for my money rather than remakes that just throw the old at me with a prettier face.

There is no reason besides gamefreak being greedy for a potential RSE remake anyway. Previous generations were remade because of pokemon catching limitations, but Dreamworld, HGSS and various other things eliminates any trouble with catching all of the pokemon. I cant really see Gamefreak actually doing a gen split, and if they do I still cant see Dreamworld being taken down (without being replaced by something better and similar).
  8. Infernis

Infernis

There is the fact that most of the Hoenn games are failing. Cartridges being damaged, clock batteries running out, et cetera. And with the DSi and 3DS lacking dual-slot mode, you will soon have a hard time getting a Pokemon with every contest ribbon ever. And how else will one obtain the Hoenn League ribbon? Or explore the exciting region of Hoenn? (Though we disagree on that point.)
  9. Mario With Lasers

This talk of "oh they had to remake the older games because THE POKEYMANS" doesn't hold any water, because it's actually the other way around. They restricted the amount of obtainable pokémon BECAUSE they wanted to sell the games. Of course, people would buy FRLG anyway, but they needed a stronger reason to convince everybody (spoilers: FRLG had bad sales even with this marketing scheme). Hell, they had two GameCube games and even added a couple pokémon in post-E4 Emerald, of course they didn't need FRLG to make 186 pokémon available. They had 200 available in one set of games; if Colosseum and Gale of Darkness each had ~90, we'd be fine with no need of silly FRLG.

There will be another pair of games set in Hoenn. Be it a remake, sequel, spin-off (lolno), whatever. Probably half of their veteran fanbase had Gen III as their first games (example: my 15yo niece), RSE is their RBY. Torchic is their Charmander, Slaking is their Snorlax, etc. I started with Yellow and yet I am nostalgic as fuck with playing Ruby, I'd love to see Hoenn in 3D INCLUDING THE GIGANTIC WATER ROUTES AND TRUMPETS AND WINGULLS AND TENTACOOLS AND DUMB MIRAGE ISLAND AND sigh. Even if I don't get a single new pokémon or move or ability.

Game Freak is in this market since 1992, they know their shit better than us. They know they'll get even more money doing that, they are just waiting for the right time.

Besides, WHO DOESN'T LOVE CONTESTS
  10. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

I want back my Ruby contests. Those were the bomb.
  11. Basileus

Basileus

I never really like contests....
  12. Infernis

Infernis

I enjoyed the R/S contests, since there was an element of strategy to them. DPP was kind of a crapshoot, since the whole 'dressing up' score was never really explained. The dancing was... a DDR minigame. HG/SS had Pokeathlons, which were fantastico. Haven't done a musical in BW yet, though. They seem silly.
  13. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Musicals are dumb because there are no stakes.

You dress up, you have two chances to "win" the crowd and then you do nothing for the remaining minute and a half.
    If you win you get more props from fans (and add to a counter to earn more fans; medals in BW2)
    If you "lose" (that is: not 1st) you....get slightly fewer props from fans

It's not like there isn't strategy since there are ideal set ups for dressing up, some Pokemon are built for others better, some props work better, and there's a bit of timing you can get into to steal the spotlight from others or having it linger on you.
    But.

None of it matters. At least with Contests (super or otherwise) you had a progression of difficulty, a very slight "ceremony", and ribbons that you could carry with your Pokemon will into the future.
  14. Preved Medved

Preved Medved

Anyone else don't want safari zones back in gen VI?
  15. FlapJack

FlapJack

Lol, never used the safari zone because the safari balls were ugly, you had a time limt, you had to pay, and the variety of pokemon were not that great. Thought the whole changing areas thing in HGSS was pretty neat though.

By the way, Chespins a beast. Nuff said.
  16. iKinkajou

iKinkajou

Ha!

That's hilarious!
    I mean the kid is just searching up Pokemon stuff and comes across a hot jinky Jo video.
    "Hey, mom, I'm searching up Pokemon stuff can you tell me what this is?"
  17. Yveltal

Yveltal

The Safari Zone was always a pain, since it didn't have any good utility after Gen I. When the Safari Zone is needed to progress further in the game (like when you need to talk to the warden to get HM03), that's one reason. It seems like they use the Safari Zone to place pokemon that they couldn't find a better spot for in the wild, or simply as a further challenge to complete the Pokedex. It's kinda useless for those players who don't catch at least three pokemon in one runthrough, thereby not getting their money's worth.
  18. Mario With Lasers

My problem with the HGSS Safari Zone is that it was too... complex. You needed to place a specific combination of items in the zones to get a certain pokémona after 200 days... I mean, the hell is this. Give me the pokeymans already, or at least cut that time prerequisite by half or whatever. This isn't fun, yo.
  19. Dragonite85

Dragonite85

Phew! Finally finished reading the whole thread.
    I don't know where to begin so lets get right to the point shall we...
    Probably most of the below will never happen but here goes.In no particular order I want the following if possible:

- Dive to return. I liked using dive but to make it worth while I want an underwater habitat do go along with it. I want to get some aquatic pokemon that can only be obtained there.(well beyond the reach of even the super rod). I'm thinking the possible octillery(kraken) evolution, the relicanth(dunkleosteus) evolution, possible corsola evo,gorebys and huntail evos, kingler evo and maybe wild cloysters and a few other crustaceans and anglerfish would be nice. I'm thinking that perhaps one or two routes complete with underwater caves and ruins and trainers would be nice.
    The routes could be traveled in two ways: the normal way (using surf and battling swimmers and sailors respectivelly on the small islands on route) and the underwater way(using dive and battling divers and exploring ruins). Also there could be an underwater city complete with gym maybe(the only way to get to it is by using dive). If not then the city could have a floating part(like Pacifidlog in Emerald) and in addition to an underwater one where you use a elevator to go underwater and then use dive to explore.

-The underground from gen 4 should return in the form of a subterranean habitat. I especially liked the mini-game where you dig in the wall to find fossils, stones, gems, hard stones, nuggets and the likes. If you want a particular fossil, evolution stone, or gem you just use dig and go search for it. Down here you battle miners, workers and archeologists maybe. Also again some pokemon could only be found here like an evolution of dugtrio, pre-evolution of onix maybe,crustle evo,durant and mawile evos , on rare ocasion excadrills and steelex for experience gain, as well as other worm, bugs and mole type pokemon. Also it would be nice if you could create tunnels your self while digging(like in minecraft). It would be awesome if you would dig yourself a base also.

-Less likely but I also want a sky habitat. If you use fly do go anywhere other than the reachable locations/towns(say you clicked in the middle of route 1) you can actually fly on the back of your pokemon like surf only in the air amongst the clouds. In the sky habitat you can find drifloons,drifblims, altaria and altaria evos, fearows,fearow,delibird evos,pigeot ,peliper,peliper evo,swanna,swanna evo,swellows,swellow evo, golbats, crobats, noctowls and noctowls evo(at night),ledian, masquerain(bug/water evo) evo. Basically all the current final stages of the birds and aforementioned bugs.

- better AIs for the NPCs that discourage level grinding. The NPCs teams should grow in number and level to match the players level. The AI should use the highest level pokemon in your party to determine the level and number of pokemon in the NPCs party as well.For example: The NPC usually has 1-3 pokemon team of the same level or slightly higher than the surrounding wild pokemon on that route (lets say it has two pokemon with levels 7 and 8.You want to battle a NPC with your pokemon team of which the highest level pokemon(usually the starter) has level 15. You go and challenge him because the match should be easy right? Wrong. For each 3 level difference between your highest level and his highest level he adds another pokemon to his party(a pokemon normally found on that route or on the previous routes) while also raising his pokemon level to be 0-2 levels bellow your highest level. To get back to our example the difference between yours and his is(15-8=) 7 so he adds 2 pokemon to his party(7/3 = 2 and remainder 1->which could be added randomly to one of his pokemon as well). In addition to that he raises his pokemons levels to between 13-15 for each pokemon. Now your facing a NPC with 3-5 pokemon with the aforementioned levels. Also it could be nice to have evolved pokemon if that species evolves naturally at a level lower than it currently has.

-If a type will be added than I'd prefer it to be the Sound type not the Light type(which personally I don't like). Sound is way more easy to implement as we already have pokemon(whishmoor line, audino, chatot,chimecho and the jyliglipuff line) and moves(roar, sonic boom) and abilities(sound proof) that are perfectly suited for being sound. The next part will likely never happen but i still want it. This will give them the excuse to tweak the type chart so that each type has the equal number weakneses , resists , immunities and superefective types. At least the water type should be nerft as it does neutral damage to to many other types.

-trainer customization(Although it will be nice to have I'm not holding my breath for this one)

Oh, and sorry for the long post.
  20. MeteorMiss

MeteorMiss

First of all, I'm guessing everyone agrees with me when I say that the 5th gen Pokemon Breeders were really annoying. They battle you every time you reenter the route, and they're levels don't grow, making them pure annoyance once you get to a higher level.

However, in lieu of completely removing them, how about making six of them across the region, each focusing on providing a different EV? (i.e. one for HP, one for attack, etc.) This would give them a purpose, and make EV training slightly easier.
  21. Satisfaction

Satisfaction

I personally liked the breeders, they helped raise my levels for ingame and when they were good I went ahead and avoided them, I believe only the one on route 4 was unavoidable, and even if I accidentally fought them its not like I mind wasting a minute in return for their service. I might feel differently because I used a team of effectively 10 making common use of any pokemon I wanted to try and thus had lower levels than the common 4 main 2 hm slave system
  22. Shining Kestral

Shining Kestral

The sea routes, I'll give you those, but IMO, Hoenn had the most varied and interesting interesting landscape of all the generations. You had a town built entirely in trees, one in a crater in the ocean, a town that floats in the water, a route covered in falling volcanic ash, etc.

Also echoing the return of RSE contests. I'd even take anime-style contests which incorporate battles in them. It would be great if you could have your own contest rival to compete against.
  23. Yveltal

Yveltal

Just like in real life, the breeders were all highly avoidable if you didn't want to confront them.
    All joking aside, the breeders in BW2 were fine the way they were. They provided a continuing challenge for extra runthroughs with new teams of pokemon for your own training-obsessive pleasure. As far as having breeders that are centered around EVs, I think a good thing to do would be to have 6 different breeders that can be challenged every time you walk past them, each with six pokemon, with each pokemon focusing on a particular EV. I wouldn't want to travel all the way to the seventh city to find a HP EV specific breeder to get HP EVs for a lv 5 Happiny in my party. Rather, I'd want to run into a breeder with a Jigglypuff somewhere in his party who waits outside of the first or second gym, and then another breeder way out near the sixth or seventh gym with a Musharna in his party. That way I can get my eventual Blissey to level up at an appropriate pace by simply tracking down all of the breeders and pitting her against their HP yielding pokemon. Then I can take a Jolteon (for a further example) and have him fight the speed-yielding pokemon in each breeders party, and so on.

To further explain this idea, let's pretend that there's a breeder on Route 3 with a full party; Jigglypuff, Sandile, Kricketot, Chingling, Lotad, and Pichu. There's a different EV yield for each of those pokemon, so you can get any Pokemon in your party the EVs you want from them by running past them a couple of times. The same party setup could apply to a stronger breeder on Route 15. They might have a roster consisting of Azumarill, Shiftry, Aggron, Magnezone, Hypno, and Crobat. Again, one of every EV yield for later in the game.
  24. Snappy

Snappy

Yveltal and MeteorMiss both have pretty good ideas for the breeders, now if only the games were ever made with any sort of convenience for competitive players...
  25. Present

Present

Making breeders specialize on one stat is much more effective, especially when ev training pokemon. If I want to train my pokemon on hp, I would never use such a trainer, as it can only battle one of the six pokemon. It would be much faster to just battle wild hp ev yielding pokemon. A big area based on breeding with six breeders for the respective stats in it would be the dream of every ev trainer (for online battle purposes, in game is moot). Join Avenue kind of already made ev training really easy, albeit more expensive.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)