1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragonite85

Dragonite85

I'm so excited for the 6th generation as I get to verify an old theory of mine:
    Every pokemon with 495(the pokemon with the highest BST to evolve and gain BST is Magmar) or less that doesn't have three evolutions is eligible for an evolution. Others with higher BSTs(>495) could get a pre-evo and the ones that have 500 BST could get an evolution but with no stat gain(scyther ->scizor)(only a redistribution of their stats). The only pokemon that is an exception to this rule is porygon which can be considered an artificial/man made pokemon to which this rule does not apply.
    If this pattern holds true then it means that pokemon like: Accelgor(495), Escavalier(495), Floatzel(495), Mismagius(495), Abomasnow(494) and everyhting with lower BSTs ,that doesn't have three stages and isn't a fossil COULD ,in theory, gain an evolution(not necessarily in this gen).
    Sadly this also means that pokemon like: Zembstrika(497), Drifblim(498) and the Simis(sage,pour and sear)(498) would be just outside the evolution range. Of course everything bellow 500 BST could evolve but to date the highest BST pokemon to ever evolve with BST increase was Magmar(495).
    Pokemon like Wailord, Ursaring, Rapidash, Pinsir, Muk, Heracross, Houndoom, Golduck, Drapion, Donphan, Claydoll and Bronzong who all have 500 BST could gain an evolution but with same BST(only stat redistribution). Everything above 500 would not get an evolution. As of yet in 5 generation this pattern holds true.
    Of course I could be wrong in which case everything goes. :)

Also I like the IV system as it is. Every pokemon should be unique. What I'm about to say next will surely not make me many friends. IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE HARD TO GET THE PERFECT POKEMON else everyone and their mother would have the same one. Only those that have the patience to breed the pokemon should be able to have them. It takes a lot of hard work to get a pokemon with perfect IVs, best ability and best nature. If you don't put in the work then why should you have such a pokemon? You could ask a breeder friend of yours if hes willing to trade you one if you really want one. This however will cost you. Its not like you can't play on the simulator with pokemon with perfect IVs. For official tournaments though why should you have the same IVs on your pokemon as someone that painstakingly went through all the trouble and bred himself these pokemon. It just doesn't seem fair to me. I'm sorry, but this is how i see it. If you're a truly good trainer you should be able to beat your adversary even with this handicap. If you're not willing to put in the time to breed you're own then you don't want to win badly enough. This is not directed at anyone in particular , I'm just speaking my mind.
    I would very much want every species of pokemon to have a height range and each individual should have a random height from that range. The height should be visible if you put two pokemon of the same species on the field at the same time.
  2. Farrac

Farrac

Someone before said something about Team Ragnarok. Considering how much does Yveltal look like a Yu-Gi-OH! card it just fits right.

Also, about that shadow, it's clearly a Probopass, but the other thing...could it be a Lumineon?
  3. blasphemy1

blasphemy1

Manipulating the RNG is not a difficult task and it requires very little work for the user (the research requires a lot of work, though). It's easy to obtain perfect IV Pokemon within minutes and that's what a lot of people who play in tournaments do. Assuming the new bonding mechanic between you and your Pokemon gives unique attributes, why shouldn't they change IVs? It's a system that rewards the manipulation of the system and the end result is the Pokemon are identical. Besides, if they wanted each Pokemon to be unique, they should have made more than a couple suitable IV spreads. Seriously, Pokemon just end up being the same in the end, and those that aren't the same are merely inferior versions of the others (in rare cases they are different movesets or Hidden Power types).
  4. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

In addition to this, every Pokémon being different applies more to in-game affairs, when whether a Darmanitan can OHKO a Snorlax doesn't really matter as much as in competitive battling, where every little damage percentage counts. In an in-game run, yes, you really do get unique Pokémon. And it's up to you whether you choose to use these Pokémon later or if you want to use one's that you deliberately set out to perfect.
  5. Dragonite85

Dragonite85

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I ques what I was trying to say is that they shouldn't remove the IVs altogether just change how they work so that it would be very difficult to manipulate by the player other than the intended way.
    What do you guys think of my other ideas?
  6. Tenodera

Tenodera

A height range would certainly be cute, although it shouldn't affect weight-based moves.
    Personally I'd be happy with just allowing IVs to be changed with BP (or the new equivalent), but I think something so explicit is unlikely because of how IVs are supposed to be so "mysterious".
  7. Infernis

Infernis

There is tall grass 22 seconds into the trailer.

I doubt that they'll bring back walking Pokemon in this game, but I still really hope they do. That (along with that Cameron guy) was just about the best part of HG/SS for me, as far as immersion goes. One of the many reasons I preferred HG to Platinum.
  8. Blue Ditto

Blue Ditto

Very excited for the upcoming generation. I like the bipedal Finnekin evolutions myself, especially that djinn-like one that was posted earlier, but all of them are cute.

I was about to say some things on the IVs and how they actually matter mechanically (SPEED!), but the other posters seemed to have covered that. If IVs can never be dropped period, having a mechanic to influence actual IVs beyond breeding would be wonderful.

I also do like your idea of having a variable to affect height by the way. It's a nice way to diversify Pokemon without punishing the player mechanically. Weight's out of the game for that, though, unless the weight variance is so minimal it won't actually affect the mechanics of moves. Natures and the personality markers introduced in the recent generations were a step in the right direction too but they're still attached to stats--so, maybe a third personality blurb that's just based on a random value that is just completely aesthetic?

Maybe they could also affect colors more--we have Shiny Pokemon, but what about, say, individuals who are just lighter or darker than average? Or slightly varied patterns a la Spinda (could work for Pokemon like Liepard for example)? Things like that would be a lot better for truly creating individual Pokemon in my opinion.

And speaking of height, I'd really really like to see the Pokedex bring back height comparison and actually note the height, length and width of the Pokemon in question--if we hypothetically implement the variable on height for individual Pokemon, there could also be a function to compare your particular Pokemon to yourself as well as the "average".

Okay now for the actual reason I posted.

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

?
  9. Count Serperior

Count Serperior

LOL @Blue Ditto!
    That's the exact same thought I had when I saw it!
  10. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

There is one thing that these games desperately need that I don't thinks been mentioned;

Proper Pokemon cries! Seriously I understood when these games were on the gameboy that they couldn't make them but this is the 3ds! Surely they can fit them in. One of the most iconic things about Pokemon is that the 'mons can only say their names, how does "bzzzttzztgggg" sound like something [insert 'mon here] would say?

Gimme good Pokemon cries plz

EDIT: BIG 1000!
  11. Infernis

Infernis

I dunno, I kinda like some of the current cries. They could use a bit more variety, though. The only ones I can really recognize by sound alone are Zubat (grrrrr), Tentacool (raaaagh), and Golbat (HRRRRNG). Wailord has a fairly cetaceous call, which is neat. Graveler sounds like... a ball of rocks trying to talk. Which fits for him, actually. Altaria could theoretically sound like that strange birdsong jingle. But for most Pokemon, the cries don't even sound like anything. I'm sure it would upset some traditionalists, but updating the cries would be a nice touch.
  12. Squishyfrog

Squishyfrog

Boy I am so excited for these games. I'm trying not to fall in love with any of these fan-created evolutions because I don't want to be disappointed but it's so harddddd D=
  13. Basileus

Basileus

they should sound a little like the name they say. (unless they don't say their name)

example:

combee (first guy that I thought of for some reason) can have the cry: COooOooOoOommm

and a staraptor (my favorite pokemon) could have somthing like
    StarrrRrrRrrrRrrrRr (rolling on the R's)

on the other hand, a pokemon that only roars like charizard can remain the same as it is now.

Thoughts?
  14. Punchshroom

Punchshroom para is worse than sleep
    is a Community Contributor

Personally, I thought the cries fit the pokemon in some way, even managing to capture their essence. The only unusual cry I've heard so far is Amoonguss's.
  15. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Pretty much this, I don't mean that each Pokemon should saw "Charmander!" but maybe just "Char!" or "mander!"
  16. Infernis

Infernis

It would be difficult to give a mushroom an appropriate roar.

Anybody remember the Stantler in Pokemon 4Ever: Celebi: Voice of the Forest?

"Fuck, guys, we have to make a Stantler call. What kind of sounds do deer make? Maybe we can fit that name to that."

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

(Angry voice) "STANTLER! STANTLER!!"

Greatest call ever.
  17. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

One of the things I want in X and Y is that they make the shiny designs for the new Pokémon a lot more varied than their normal designs. For example, Pokemon like shiny Charizard and Breloom are a completely different colour than its original form and they look awesome, but Pokémon like shiny Pikachu are hardly a different shade of the same colour. Like my current icon; I would have loved a bright red shiny Snivy.
  18. labarith

labarith

Actually, it would undermine the IV System entirely.

The point is that there is genetic potential and effort potential - IVs and EVs. While genetic engineering might be possible, it is still fairly untapped in the actual world. Positing a genetic engineering in-game only lets you turn any pokemon with the right nature into a flawless IVed pokemon.

The next thing you'll ask is for there to be a way to change natures. Perhaps we can train them to become adamant or careful. :/ And then you'll want a way to teach any pokemon egg moves. And then you'll want a potion to turn any pokemon shiny. And then you'll want the option to change pokeballs. And of course they need to release the cherish ball so that your Shiny hexflawless egg move Jolly Garchomp is in a cherish ball. Because nothing but the best for the naughty gibble you caght in g3. :/
  19. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

This so much. Also, can we please stop theorymonning?
  20. labarith

labarith

Oddly, though, I want in game cloning.

Maybe reduce the clone to level 1 w/o EVs... but it's a competitive staple, and would help you share pokemon.

The fact is that you can "glitch clone" most everything by the GTS (or at least could in G4... haven't checked G5), and it's one of the main things that (non-hacking) competitive players use game sharks/etc. for.

If I had to do an in-game cloning mechanism, I'd have the bad guys be interested in repeating the cloning experiments that lead to Mewtwo, and you'd be able to clone any non-legendary, non-event-ribbon pokemon. Your cloned pokemon would be at level 1 of the pokemon's lowest possible evolution state (thus giving you a non-breeding way to get Munchlax) and have all it's current moves it could learn at that state (IE, no Jolteons to Eevees with thunder). It would also have a "cloned" icon on it's info screen, and PERHAPS it would be in a different colorscheme (think that Mewtwo movie, or just a different non-shiny and shiny forms). This wouldn't really add much to the pokemon's data (a single data point - cloned or no). All mewtwo would be clones, while no legendary could be cloned in this way. (There's no male chansey sprite, so I don't see this as a problem to do and not do up cloned forms for Mew, and normal forms for Mewtwo).

To keep it reasonable, have cloning of pokemon be super-expensive. In-game, you'll probably be prompted to clone your eevee so you can get a different eeveeolution.

Technologywise, we can revive fricking fossils. Surely cloning a pokemon in this way wouldn't be unreasonable, technologywise, in the game. The only downside is that it'd have very little "in-game" use. Again, cloning for preevolutions and alternate evolutions is useful, but it is already doable in-game as is. However, here at smogon we know how often we clone pokemon to do up different movesets and different EV sets for competitive battling. This would let us do that w/o using a cheating device... even if it would make us completely re-ev the pokemon.

On a completely unrelated note, I think they should make a "learn by experience" mechanic such that if your pokemon can learn flamethrower at level 50, and it is in a battle where someone uses it while it's at level 5, it should have a chance to learn that move (say 10-25%?). This would also allow you to do moves that can't be learned any other way, moves that are learned at level 101 in-game, which means they can only be learned by witnessing an opponent use them in battle.
  21. Basileus

Basileus

22. labarith

labarith

23. Blue Ditto

Blue Ditto

Maybe it should be undermined. It's true that in real life, there are some things that you're just never going to be able to do because of the circumstances--your mutt won't ever participate in a proper dog show, not everyone can be a super genius or an awesome athlete or a crazy creative person--but this is a game. We have the ability to go into our Pokemon's dreams and catch dream Pokemon. So, it doesn't necessarily need to simulate something like this to an exact degree.

Also I really like the idea of changing a Pokemon's Pokeball. I mean, why not? It's just an aesthetic change. Changing Pokeballs would be pretty awesome and easily justified. Shinies and natures would be harder and probably not touched, but if the developers REALLY wanted to, they could find a way to make it work.
  24. Basileus

Basileus

I don't think you understand. What you just described is a way to turn cloning into an easier way of breeding, I was just making fun of it. Plus, breeding does things that cloning can't...
  25. Wazzup360

Wazzup360

Your unfamiliar with the fact that hes making fun of you.

Edit: Ninja'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)