1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zowayix

Zowayix

At the very least, it would be very expensive to translate 700+ cries into five languages (Japanese, Korean, English, German, French). (Spanish and Italian games use the English names.)

Ever considered that?
  2. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Eh? There was like 10 seconds devoted to walking in the tall grass and running into a Pikachu
  3. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

Well, I did say tell me if I'm wrong, but besides that, I'll jump into this conversation. Iv's, in my view, are too easy to get at this point. You don't have to "work" for the perfect iv's. My blissey has near perfect Iv's, and all I did to get it was breed once (the other times were to get bold nature, of which I gave up). This is because breeding always gives good Iv's. This is mentioned multiple times in the games. So Iv's are easy to get.
    Next: right ability. Find/breed until you get said one. Unless it's dream world, at which point you should consider how long this might take.
    Last: right nature. This is the only actual hard part of the process. Breed for about 30 min-2 hours to hopefully find the right nature. The ability will likely come with it.
    So, overall:
    Iv: almost assured
    Ability: usually easy, varies, sometimes doesn't matter (see: tyranitar, togekiss)
    Nature: Pretty easy if you don't suck at it like myself.
    So, overall I'd say training isn't too hard, you just have to be prepared to work for it a tad bit.
  4. DarkEspeon

DarkEspeon

Fixed.

Besides, who's gonna want to go and do that for every region? (and I don't just mean in-game regions here)
  5. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

they said their names in pokemon yellow iirc.
  6. R_N

R_N

Pikachu did, the others did not
  7. Preved Medved

Preved Medved

Pokemon Yellow was based on the anime.
  8. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

Updated cries would be nice. They don't have to change much, just... make them sound less Gameboy-ish. I'd be fine with generic roars, they don't have to say their own names, but... just a little more than "beepbeepbeep" in various pitches. The first 150 Pokémon haven't changed cries since 1996, and it really shows.

Other than that, I hope they keep up the level of detail that was shown in BW2. The sequel-exclusive cities were full of little details, extra pieces of furniture and stuff, to make them come more to life. In Flocessy Town, someone has drawn lines in the dirt in a park to make a small battle arena. Aspertia Gym has rakes and marking equipment leant against the fence, to clear the field and redraw lines after every match. There's a completely purposeless Frillish board in Humilau City. And so on. I love it. Makes the region seem more lively.

Those of you who own Pokémon XD, go have a second look at the Pokémon HQ lab once. It really looks like a place where people live. Packed with insignificant stuff that really shows that it's more than just that generic place where your journey starts. Let's hope XY's designers are just as clever.
  9. shockwave527

shockwave527

MOVE I WANT TO SEE

We have moves like Mud Sport that, in my opinion, are kind of worthless (especially in single battles), as this move in particular is learned primarily by ground types, who are NOT EFFECTED BY ELECTRIC ANYWAY. Same for water sport: still, fire isn't very effective on that. We need some stuff more like this:

Evaporate (Fire): Weakens water moves
    Windstorm (Flying): Decreases power of rock moves
    Illness (Poison): Decreases power of psychic moves
    Pure darkness (Dark): Decreases power of fighting moves

Now, they still might not be used a lot, but having a move that weakens types EFFECTIVE to the pokemon it's used on would be A LOT more useful then something like mud sport.
  10. R_N

R_N

Mud & Water Sport are meant for Doubles/Triples

Besides doesn't it make sense for Mud to be one Ground types & Water Sport on Water types? If they resist it they can, theoretically, put it up safer

More of those types of moves would be nice, though.
  11. Yveltal

Yveltal

uhmmm half of the pokemon that can learn Mud Sport by leveling up aren't ground type, and are usually in danger of getting OHKO'd by an electric move. The only Pokemon that can get good utility on it's own by knowing Water Sport is Budew, but those moves are better suited for double and triple battles to help with your other pokemons defenses (even though there are better moves out there for everyone to learn). Even then, Water Sport is solely there to pick on Fire types when there's already a present type advantage.
  12. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

evaporate's purpose is kind of overshadowed by sunny day. Besides that, what we need is for "sport" type moves to remain after the pokemon is knocked out, of which there are two options:
    1- Stays for entire game unless the opposite sport move is used/ rapid spin is used, which would get rid of the resistance.
    2- stays for a certain period of time, likely as long as weather, or maybe encore?

On another note, I think a lot of moves would become more viable if "effect ends when pokemon leaves the field" is replaced with "effect stays until x number of turns" or "effect stays until x number of turns, regardless of whether or not affected pokemon is/are on the field", which could effectively cripple pokemon for a relatively short period of time, while not taking them out for the entire battle like burn, sleep or paralysis do.
    This could affect stat lowering moves, as it would give a way to make them viable without making a pointless new horrifying speedy shadow tag user that abuses stat downs to compensate for extremely low stats (and a above average speed stat, but it could still be outsped often.)
    Now that I got the idea in my head, it would be called Illushic (I suck at name making). It would be psychic/dark, and be the trickery pokemon. It would have a huge set of stat down moves as well as a new shadow tag like ability, which would only activate when enemy pokemon's stats are down by 2 stages (or one if two stats are affected). It would have basically every stat down move in the game, and in this way customisable so it could threaten almost any pokemon. It would, of course, be the biggest threat to slow pokemon, and especially to walls like blissey or probopass, who can only watch as their defenses are drained and their health slowly dwindle down from a screech assisted base stat 75 psychic. It would be horrifying.
    This was supposed to be a joke, but now I kind of like the idea, so I'll be of to see if a new cap is being made.
  13. Charro

Charro

Wut? you actually want them to say their name? that's what I hate the most about the anime actually, they're supossed to be monsters, how the hell can Alakazam say its name but it can't speak?

Probably even gamefreak thinks alike, since in the BW 2 animated trailer none of the pokemon shown said their name, they sounded like actual monsters/animals.

I can take Pikachu saying its name, but don't you dare to replace Gardevoir's cry for her retarded emo voice from Brawl. (And basically the same applies to a lot of other monsters)
  14. TheStriker

TheStriker

Legendary Y

• Psychic/Flying
    • Psychic/Dark
    • Dark/Flying
      • Pretty useless typing (OU like Kyurem-B) :(
    • Fighting/Flying
      • Fighting/Flying would be awesome typing
      • Imagine Hurricane + Aura Sphere
      • Ubers
    • Ability: Pressure?
    • DW Ability: Telepathy?
    • Dragon/Flying
      • I'm sick of dragons

Legendary X

• Grass/Psychic
      • OU (I mean look what happened to Celebi)
      • U-Turn Weakness bad and with knew turners next gen = worse
    • Steel/Grass
    • Water/Grass
    • Psychic/Bug
      • That would be a deadly offensive typing
    • Dragon/Psychic
      • I'm sick of dragons
    • Abilities same with Legendary Y?

New Typings and Abusers

• Fog Inducers + Defog Boost + Fog Abusers
    • Better Drought Inducer
    • Better Hail Inducer
    • New Ability
      • Volt Boost: +2 SpA and +2 Spe
      • Ski Rush: x2 speed in hail
      • Bullseye: Accuracy increased to 100% in Fog
      • Vibrater: Special Attack Intimidate
    • Ghost/Steel
    • Fire/Ice + Magic Gaurd
    • New Water/Dragon
    • Psychic/Ground
    • Dragon/Grass
    • Dragon/Fighting
    • Fighting/Flying
    • Ghost/Normal
    • Electric Priority and Fire Priority
      • Sun would be a little more useful with fire type priority
    • Water/Poison

I would like these to go in the metagame because stall needs more power and I am tired of using the same spinners. Its really boring and that is a fact.
  15. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

I hope stall dies.
  16. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

A few things;
    So Volt Boost just instantly increases both SpAtk and Speed as soon as it is in play? Unless you meant to add something else after that, don't you think that'd be a little OP?
    We have a Psychic/Ground type, Claydol. Same for water/poison, we have Tentacruel.
    I like your other ideas, though. Particularly Ski Rush - Hail pokémon definitely need a buff. Maybe Ice types could also gain a 50% defence boost in Hail, similar to Ground and Rock type's Special Defence boosts in sandstorm.
  17. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

I want a Normal/Fighting with Scrappy and Guts. Maybe a Kangaskhan evolution or something.

I also want them to make Feint and Brick Break stronger. Much stronger. Raise both to 80.

Death to Stall.
  18. labarith

labarith

The concepts of breeding and cloning are sufficiently different, I think.

I don't think it's going to happen, mind you, but I think it would be consistent with the game's technology, add quite a bit to competitive battling, and help kids share their pokemon with friends in a way that breeding really doesn't do.

But then again, you're right - they are both means of getting a 2nd version of a pokemon you've already caught.

This is why I suggested making it obscenely expensive. If your friend wants a garchomp, breed him a gibble. If your friend wants YOUR Garchomp, clone it.

Clones shouldn't be able to be cloned. Perhaps to be really mean, clones shouldn't be able to be bred either! But if your friend really needs a copy of your gyarados for an upcoming tourney, give him a cloned magikarp and let him do it up right. Once done up, it might be exactly like yours (or if he did different EVs, different, underscoring a nature/nurture theme)... except it's a clone.
  19. Agonist

Agonist Minutes become hours when you wait, hope and regret
    is a Forum Moderator

Why the hell not? The clone is a perfect copy of the original, so it makes complete sense that it can breed.
  20. PlatypusVenom

PlatypusVenom

I wish we could all talk about X and Y again instead of ifs and buts.
    PlatypusVenom used Wish!
    But it failed!
  21. Sidfrid

Sidfrid

A few thought on a subject:

Dual typed Dragon/Fighting pokemon!!, let's theorymon a little:
    Supereffective hits on: Rock, Ice, Steel, Normal, Dark and Dragon
    This will surely make for a "no safe switch-in" pokemon. You predicted a furious Outrage and send over Ferrothorn? You will get obliterated by STAB Close Combat.

Of course that typing will call for a physical pokemon, because if result in a special biased pokemon, his fighting type would be wasted (Aura Sphere anyone?).

Resistance: Fire, Grass, Water, Electric, Bug, Dark, Rock (if you find this to much resistance for a non-steel type pokemon Rotom-H have 7 resistance too)

Here we have a combination of usually special types and usually physical types. Resisting the FWG core really come in handy, and you resist Megahorn and Stone Edge two of the most deadly physical attacks, no one care about resisting Dark type.

Weakness: Ice, Dragon, Psychic, Flying
    Four weakness, just four weakness and you got SIX supereffective hits, this is surelly OP!! But all those weakness can be worked around, I mean there are a lost of pokemons with that weakness in OU and they are still OU (and some are Ubers)

All is great right?... right? The only thing that may keep this mighty beast at bay could be Ghost typed pokemon, and if we get the fabbled Ghost/Steel pokemon (Kitsunoh!!), that will surely be OU along with it. Ghost types tend to learn Will-O-Wisp, that will just cripple the physical one, and if this theoretical pokemon result in a Special Dragon/Fighting will be low OU for sure.

But all that talk is just about Typing, but a pokemon is more like that, Hydreigon have a nice offensive typing but it stats just keep it low OU, and not to mention learnset (now I don't remember any example of a good pokemon with terrible learnset, but maybe someone do), I hope they desing something THIS good someday!!!
  22. keleyeemoh

keleyeemoh

Err... except that Xerneas will likely have 680 BST. Typing doesn't mean absolutely everything, otherwise Blissey and Spinda, Lugia and Xatu, etc. would be in the same tiers.
  23. Preved Medved

Preved Medved

Kyurem-B has 700 BST and is OU.The typing could ruin it even though his stats are very high.
  24. shockwave527

shockwave527

This might be slightly off topic, but I've been seeing some really cool fakemon some of which I'd love to see in the next game or something similar. So if you want to see them, they look pretty damn awesome:

Show Hide
    This first one could either be just pokemon or I think was originally a future gen starter final evos, but obviously not this gen:

[​IMG]

And this next one is just plain awesome:

[​IMG]
  25. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I don't want pokémon to say their names, I never really liked that in the anime. However, we need them to "revamp" the cries. Seriously, Lugia's cry has Magikarp's by the end, that's ridiculous. Even Pokémon Stadium revamped the cries, Game Freak can do that for XY.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)