1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reaverz

reaverz

Interestingly enough, there's a precedent for exactly that idea (for Meloetta, anyway). Read this quote from the musician who teaches Meloetta Relic Song in Gen V:

"My mother once told me of a Pokemon that played a melody and danced so lightly that it filled people's hearts with joy. Then sorrow darkened the world, and the Pokemon lost the melody... Also, at that time, some red shoes were lost somewhere..."

Meloetta sang a lost song and danced. Then it forgot the song and its red shoes were lost. Well, what if we find these red shoes in Gen VI as an item which, if held by Meloetta, changes it to Pirouette form so that it can start battles in that form?
  2. shockwave527

shockwave527

See, I don't see anything like this happening. At all. Not the ability, but the
    part.

The dream world was a huge thing, and every old pokemon got new abilities. I can't see them doing that again. First of all, they'd have to find a new way to go about it, and really, we'd get cluttered up with everything having four different abilities. Would they just keep adding more and more?

So no. While we'll probably get new abilities, I will bet you that that will not happen again with old pokemon.
  3. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Considering 4th gen did it, and then 5th gen did it again, I don't see anything stopping them from doing it a 4th time and just adding an ability to them normally. I doubt DW will be used so for all we know those abilities could just be normal now
  4. Aura Flare Riolu

Aura Flare Riolu

That'll be nice. Though we would see Drought Vulpix in the wild. And the starters would have something else other than Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent at the start. I'm sure they'll have a Dream World replacement. Like maybe something like the Dream Radar and it gets updated every now and then. I dunno. Or the current Hidden Abilities become normal and each Pokemon gets a new Hidden Ability. Something like that. But that would bring up the Drought Vulpix again. I guess some Hidden Abilities would stay "Hidden" and they won't get a new Hidden ability but eh. *shrugs* I want Power Whip Chlorophyll Venusaur and Contrary Serperior! Serperior needs another Special move to make it even better. Like Earth Power.

Sure it's a gimmick move but I'd like to see Assist buffed. Well depending on how you view it. Basically what it should do is only choose moves from Pokemon on your team that isn't fainted. For example, if you have Prankster Liepard with Assist and the other Pokemon you have left is say...a Skarmory. And the rest of your party is fainted. Liepard's Assist would only be able to choose moves from Skarmory and nobody else. So priority phasing with Assist wouldn't be as gimmicky as before. It still would be but it would work better than before. I dunno. Just throwing that out there.
  5. Flareon

Flareon

I'd prefer if such an item were a key item, like the Gracidea. Either way it'd be good though.
  6. Aerophoenix

Aerophoenix

Well, if it worked like the Griseous Orb, and increased the power of Fighting and Normal moves, or had some additional effect, that could work anyways.
  7. labarith

labarith

So... in all seriousness... what does Flareon need to not be terrible?

Suppose it had access to "Flame Dance", which gives it a +2 to speed +2 to Attack and -2 to def and spDef. Basically a weaker shell-smash...
  8. Captains

Captains

The ingame male character you play as looks rather unusual to say the least, especially when walking. But perhaps that's just me. DPPt Character > Other Gen Characters.
  9. BrianFantana

BrianFantana

I wouldn't assume the DW abilities are going to come back.
    There have been event pokes with different abilities and moves before and it's not like they've been made available in future games. The DW stuff might not be any different.
    Besides, GF likes to encourage backwards compatibility - I'd be unsurprised if the DW in BW/2 remained the sole way to get those abilities.
    That said, the new gen of pokes would be at a disadvantage if everything preceding them had a wider range of abilities. So there might be an equivalent. Or they might just balance it out with, yknow, power creep. Which would be ironic. And wholly precedented.
  10. R_N

R_N

I can't think of any time they gave away Pokemon with different abilities than those that were programmed for them

And since there's likely going to be the ability to import in Pokemon they have to keep them around anyway (if only for trading, but also for breeding)
  11. b2j135

b2j135

if only we had something like this for Darmanitan-Z :(
    Zen mode=forever alone
  12. R_N

R_N

Zen Mode Darmanitan doesn't even have official art released and the only way to get him in BW2 is by connecting with BW1 for either N's Pokemon or a direct trade

I don't think even GameFreak likes Zen Mode Darmanitan
  13. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

On the other hand, they may as well retcon some of the unreleased abilities, or give pokémon with no DW abilities a new one...
  14. BrianFantana

BrianFantana

You might be right actually - I was sure I could remember an alternate ability event Pokemon, but I can't recall one specifically so I suppose I should've kept my mouth shut.
    And I wasn't disputing that the abilities will be importable - just speculating that that might well be the only way that they're available, and also that the new generation might not get corresponding extra abilities.
  15. R_N

R_N

I'd like to see Levitators get alternate abilities. I doubt many would get useful ones, but it would be nice since as of now it kind of shortchanges them.
    Bronzor/zong being the only exception is kind of weird

e: Unown should get Huge Power
  16. Blazen

Blazen

I would love to see Unnerve be turned into a useful ability. It's name sets it up perfectly for a Special type Intimidate.
  17. Flareon

Flareon

That'd be good too.

Fiery dance already exists.

I NEED FLARE BLITZ

I'd imagined a special equivalent of Intimidate to be called "Condescend".

Whilst we're at it, lets make a special version of Guts called "Charisma".
  18. reaverz

reaverz

The only explanation I can come up with is that unlike Bronzor/Bronzong, other Pokemon with Levitate have only that as their ability which means that their floating is an inherent part of their design. Perhaps they wanted there to be guessing games with Bronzor/Bronzong while thinking that having those guessing games with all Levitate Pokemon would be too much.
  19. Infernis

Infernis

Like Magnemite!

Pokedex entries:
    Red/Blue: Uses antigravity to stay suspended.

Yellow: It is born with the ability to defy gravity. It floats in air on powerful electromagnetic waves.

Stadium: It floats using anti-gravity and discharges electricity from two side-mounted units.

Silver: The units at the sides of its body generate anti-gravity energy to keep it aloft in the air.

Sapphire: Magnemite floats in the air by emitting electromagnetic waves from the units at its sides. These waves block gravity. This Pokémon becomes incapable of flight if its internal electrical supply is depleted.

FireRed: It moves while constantly hovering.

LeafGreen: Uses antigravity to stay suspended.

Diamond/Pearl: The units at its sides generate electromagnetic waves that keep it airborne.

SoulSilver: The units at the sides of its body generate antigravity energy to keep it aloft in the air

Black 2/White 2: The electromagnetic waves emitted by the units at the sides of its head expel antigravity, which allows it to float.

Magnezone really needs levitate. Or at least Magnemite/Magneton do. They levitated before levitate was an ability. Sure, it'd take out their 4x ground weakness, but that's what Mold Breaker, Gravity, Smackdown, Teravolt, and whatnot are for. Or you could hit it with a fire or fighting move.
  20. R_N

R_N

before gen 4, i always justified it as "Well, they use magnetism to float, so I guess earthquakes disrupt it!"

And then Magnet Rise happened
  21. Zowayix

Zowayix

Technically there is one way to get a Pokemon with an ability it's not supposed to have.

Red-Striped Basculin are supposed to have either Reckless or Adaptability, with Mold Breaker as the hidden ability.
    Blue-Striped Basculin are supposed to have either Rock Head or Adaptability, with Mold Breaker as the hidden ability.

However, in BW1 only, wild and hatched Blue-Striped Basculin accidentally draw from the the Red-Striped ability list, making it possible to have a Blue-Striped Basculin with Reckless. This situation is identical to a hacked ability, as Reckless is neither the primary, secondary, or hidden ability for a Blue-Striped Basculin.
    In fact, the only way to properly get a Blue-Striped Basculin with Rock Head before BW2 is through that one in-game trade, which hardcodes the right ability instead of (improperly) calculating the ability from the personality value.

So yeah. It's a pretty extreme corner case from a glitch, and not too useful competitively, but it technically exists.
  22. reaverz

reaverz

You learn something new every day! I did not know this. I was under the impression that the Rock Head ability of the traded Basculin-B in White was a beta element that was accidentally left in.

This gives me a feeling that GameFreak will choose to evolve Basculin in Gen VI, so that all Blue-Striped Basculin with Reckless from Gen V will lose the ability upon evolving. Of course, this is assuming that there will be a transfer feature...
  23. MeteorMiss

MeteorMiss

It seems more likely that both formes of basculin are supposed to have Reckless, and the in-game trainer was the mistake. I'm pretty sure the standard ability list is the same for both.
  24. Zowayix

Zowayix

That's what everyone thought at first, because it made the most sense. Only when BW2 came out did people really start to go back and compare the ability charts with BW1. In both sets of games, Blue-Striped Basculin are supposed to have Rock Head and never Reckless.
  25. Yveltal

Yveltal

I want a HoneyBadgermon with Shed Skin, mediocre HP and high defenses. It's signature move is a high priority technique where it rushes in and takes what it wants, because honey badger DON'T GIVE A SHIT! It can also use Baton pass by running backwards, and it learns techniques that are super effective against all snake and bee pokemon by levelling up alone.
    Game Freak, hire me and my pop culture brain.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)