1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurinko

Aurinko

I'm simply hoping for Milotic to get Drizzle. Apart from that, I think the starters look great. They resemble some old styles.
    And, I think I'm speaking within a minority, I like the X one better than the Y, it's looking so calm. Really classy.
    And to the guy who wrote about Nintendo giving birth within the DNA-based generation, haha! Nice one.
  2. Redless

Redless

Did anyone else notice the Eiffel Tower in the preveiw, as well as the gameworld looking rather European in its architecture? Could the games be set in Pokemon-Europe?
  3. PWN Ninja

PWN Ninja

Maybe they voted for a change, to finally provide evo's for novelty Pokemon. I mean, even without any fanart, there's almost no way an Unown evo wouldn't be boss.
  4. PWN Ninja

PWN Ninja

There is speculation of XY being set in France.
  5. Majestic Electric

Majestic Electric

Is it just me, or does the Grass one look a lot like Drilbur / Excadrill? :/

Either way, this picture is very impressive imo. Too bad the real evos won't be as cool as these.
  6. Garagara

Garagara

Good catch. I know there was speculation of the game being European aesthetic, but it's nice to have proof
  7. Subject 18

Subject 18 Forever Childish.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

[​IMG]

I saw someone mention this early today (Dont remenber where so I can't give credit, sorry). What to do you guys make of the red tip on Chespin's tail. Maybe Poison Point?
  8. The Cicada

The Cicada

I thought we talked bout that in the other thread
  9. Adams

Adams

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet because I don't feel like reading all of the pages.

Did anyone notice how Froakie looks like it was based on Ben Franklin?
    Also I love how Fennekin is based off a Fennec Fox.
    Something that irks me about Chespin is that the only thing that makes it look grass type is a green hat.
    I love the legendaries, and how the X legendary looks to be based on the Forest Guardian from Princess Mononoke.
    I love the new pokemon battle looks and 3D models, and the overall look. I am going to miss the sprites and pixels though.
  10. Fennekin

Fennekin

Oh, random tidbit. I think there's some heavy Yggdrassil references in those legendaries. Wonder if X Elk is gonna be female and Y Hawk is gonna be male?
    After all, there's some DNA / Chromosomes on the actual logos.
  11. labarith

labarith

No.

I could see MAYBE giving Milotic a few new moves to help carve out its niche, but giving it Drizzle is stupid overboard. Quite honestly, with a little work (sleeping orb?), Milotic could be a tier 1 OU Sleep Talk sweeper or something. I suppose bolstering Cute Charm with an item or something could also be competitive, but giving it drizzle just obsoletes politoed for no apparent reason. It's faster, tougher, with a higher special attack. Just say "no" to crazytalk.

I actually prefer BW's "expansion feel", to piecemeal; BUT if we're getting piecemeal, I want them to do appropriate evolutions for any and all of the past guys who need it.

As for Unown; an evolution is absurd. I think the best we can hope for is:
    a) Unown "secret codes" that require you to spell something out in english w/ the appropriate # of unown for a special effect.
    b) Unown "combos" that work when you have certain Unown on your team. For example, "Unown toss" would be a beat-up-esque attack that determines it's power and type equal to an unown on your team. For example, maybe "Unown Toss" would sacrifice your Unown partner in a double battle to deal X damage of a certain type to each opponent? It'd have to be like stupid-powerful explosion-esque effect to work, though. Maybe it works w/ unown not in play yet, letting you trade 1 pokemon slot for, say, an assured OHKO, or for a +1 to all stats of the pokemon using it???
    c) Unown "power ups"; either powerups for individual unown (I can see an evolite-esque item thay powers up only unknowns by 50% on each stat, for example)

That said, I think older pokemon can probably be fixed up as easily with better movepools and new moves in many cases. Seaking might need another evolution, but Pinsir can probably get away with his own Dragon Dance variant, or an item that only he can use, such as a focus sash/pinch berry combo or something.

And they're clearly references to XYZ, on the 3d axis. :/ That they're playing up the double helix/DNA option is a bonus, but it's also a dodge. Fall for it at your leisure.
    No.
    You mean a new game is symbolic for a new game? No.
    No.
    I hope you're the last.
  12. The Cicada

The Cicada

i think she was joking
  13. PWN Ninja

PWN Ninja

How does the chipmunk resemble old styles?
  14. Garagara

Garagara

I dunno about poison point, but I do think it'll be important. It's always the little things about a starter that change drastically as they evolve, like how tepig had a black lower half that turned into a belt. Looks like most of its attacks will come from its tail. I really hope it becomes armoured, since it seems to be based on a porcupine, and its back and head are covered in leaf armour already. Come on grass/steel XD
  15. EspyOwner

EspyOwner

GameFreak would never approve of such a ludicrous typing.
  16. labarith

labarith

I see no reason not to round out the typing combos, but I do think that the dual-super effectiveness for the starters would be pretty neat. I just hope we're not stuck with TORRENT again.

Also, I hope we get a coherent berry scheme. Ad hoc berries in the last generation has been pretty weak. Actually, berries have always been pretty weaksauceunfun, but dw in BW? Ugh!
  17. Garagara

Garagara

I can't tell if you're being sarcastical or serious, ludicrous typing being for a starter? Grass has never gotten a good type mix before. Torterra was closest, but even then grass/ground is really only good offensively, and torterra was slow, as tortoises should be.
  18. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Flapper the Zubat = best scramblemon
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

[​IMG]
    ??????

I personally hope more information on Yacaw and Xeindeer (the nicknames we have given the legendaries) is released soon...
  19. Faint

Faint Valar morghulis
    is a Pre-Contributor

To all the posts saying "it would be too early for them to learn x attack:"

You do realize they are fighting a Golurk in the trailer, right? Also, in past trailers such as BW2, Tepig was shown to be using Flamethrower at level 15 or something.
  20. Subject 18

Or Blaze.
  21. Volty

Volty

As said i hope that they give the starters unique types, that would be prety epic!
  22. Shroomisaur

Shroomisaur Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.

Haha, thanks for pointing that out - I didn't notice at the time (but I guess that image makes a good 420th post)!

I completely agree with you. The fanart of those three has each staying very true to its original form, but when you look back at the last generation, who ever could have predicted Oshawott and Dewott suddenly transforming into a bearded narwhal? Only time will tell if we see one of these three change dramatically like Samurott. If one of them does I think it would be Chespin - currently he seems like a Dewott/Slowking morph so I have a feeling he will change significantly. I'm not too happy with the Fennekin evo art, but absolutely love that Froakie sage-frog evolution!

On the topic of Chespin's tail (and nose) color, I agree with Garagara, it looks like it will have an influence on the evo's design but not their ability.

The starter I'm most puzzled about is Fennekin - what will it look like as it evolves? Its form and colors are pretty simple (I love the flame-colored ear tufts), but its evolutions can't remain that similar or it would wind up becoming too similar to Ninetales or Arcanine. Maybe it will change dramatically as well? I'm very excited to see what happens, because all 3 starters this time around are very likeable!
  23. Subject 18

And new abilities.
  24. Volty

Volty

Along with the new abilities idea, we need more defensive pokemon and abilities. Not like eviolite skarmory (you people are insane) just some to balance it out.
  25. Cristhianmlr

Cristhianmlr

9 months? like a pregnancy.

Sad about the mammal grass-type.

Anyway, let's see how this will we, I'll wait for more info to say something.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)