Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infernis

Infernis

You forget that Tyranitar is 4x weak to fighting and 2x weak to steel, and remains one of the core OU Pokemon. Heatran and Magnezone have 4x weaknesses to the popular Earthquake, learned by 199 Pokemon through TM26. Ninjask has a niche even with 4x weakness to rock and terrible stats. Ho-Oh is Uber even though it takes 50% damage from Stealth Rock. All those Water/Ground types with their 4x weakness to grass? Gyarados is 4x weak to electric, and thus volt turn. Forretress, Scizor, and Ferrothorn are all extraordinarily weak to fire. Salamence, Dragonite, and Rayquaza all have a 4x weakness to ice, and nobody would ever let those three into UU.

Typing isn't the only thing that makes or breaks a Pokemon. Besides, that could actually be a killer offensive Pokemon, given enough speed. Those dual STABs are super effective against Fire, Grass, Ice, Ground, Flying, Bug, and Dragon type. They're only resisted by Steel, and basically everything gets Earthquake. (Especially heavy rock type Pokemon.) Every fossil Pokemon after Omanyte/Kabutops has gotten that. Those three types combined leave it resisted by... Bronzong.

I can easily see how a hyper-offensive rock/ice Pokemon could be useful. It could be useless, but it's not impossible for it to do well.
  2. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

To be fair, this isn't a terribly good argument. The impression I first got when I saw it was that the first half of the Unova Dex was mostly Gen. I-IV Pokémon with very slight redesigns. We have Tympole and Poliwag, Timburr and Machop, Galvantula and Ariados, Lilligant and Bellossom, Purrloin and Glameow, and so on. Yes, there are differences, but they are rather subtle. I'll be VERY surprised if Gen. VI doesn't include a 'mon or two which at first glance looks exactly like a slightly tweaked older 'mon.
  3. shockwave527

shockwave527

Heck, not my real opinion but:
    Oshawott - Chespin anybody?
  4. ChaoticaMortis

ChaoticaMortis

No. Don't even compare the two. Chespin >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Oshawott.

God, I can't wait for this stupid game. 8 more months... That's torture.
  5. Zowayix

Zowayix

I agree.

Heck, people have gone as far as declaring that Pignite was a "rip-off" of Lickilicky because their body proportions/sizes are extremely similar.
  6. reaverz

reaverz

Chespin's name in various languages...

English: Chespin. chestnut + pin
    Japanese: Harimaron. harinezumi (hedgehog) + marron (chestnut in French)
    French: Marisson. marron (chestnut) + herrison (hedgehog)
    German: Igamaro. igel (hedgehog) + marone (chestnut)

As you can see, you'd be very hard-pressed to argue that Chespin will evolve into anything other than a spiky hedgehog Pokemon.
  7. Wishy

Wishy

It's a shame that bird ended up being fake, it looked kinda cool.

That sounds like a great idea. The 'Red Shoes' could boost its STAB (or even speed, but it already has 128 base speed). It's just too gimmicky as is. It's not even a bad Pokemon, I'm sure it would get some use.

Same goes with Zen Mode Darmanitan. Adding an item that allows it to be accessed at the start of battle would make it useable.
  8. Agonist

Agonist He had seen it, felt its might, bent under
    is a Forum Moderator

That, and learning Trick Room by itself.
  9. PokemonXY

PokemonXY

If this is real, I'm really impressed! How'd you even find this? If this is fake, I'll be mad but I'll think that this is a scrapped idea or someone is really talented.
  10. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

So, the trend of liked starters has been taking an odd turn.

Recently, on fansites such as Pokememes, I've noticed a trend of people talking about Chespin and how it's adorable more than anything else. Others talk about how cool Fennekin is, but most of the fanart I've seen revolves around it needing to not be Fire/Fighting.

But Froakie. There hasn't been much discussion - it's not that people hate it like Oshawott, but that people just don't seem to care.

He's so cute, though. D: How can anyone not talk about it at all times? :3
  11. thesynchrohero

thesynchrohero

You must have been hypnotized by him then

12. shockwave527

shockwave527

I fully agree, I was just saying that that's something people have pointed out that looks strikingly similar.

But then again, remember:
    Oshawott - Otter
    Dewott - Otter
    Samurott - OMGWTF

It's been proven fake. Sorry.
  13. Jabroni

Jabroni

Froakie is a pimp. He's clearly ready to slap the barnacles of any trapinch who says otherwise. I guess there's not much to speculate about him though compared to the others. He'll evolve into a bigger frog/toad, that may or may not have an epic beardstache. I pesonally hope said beard rivals that of emboar, and said stache is more majestic than jellicent's but only time will tell. Those bubbles could infact be spectacles. and then I might cry.
  14. Squishyfrog

Squishyfrog

When I first saw the starters, I was like "Froakie is the best", but then I was like "Actually, I think I like Fennekin best". Lately, however, I've taken quite a shine to Chespin.

It's way harder picking a favorite out of these starters than the Unova ones, IMO(the only other set of starters that I got to see right when they were released). The Snivy family is my favorite Unova starter family by far. I really don't like the Tepig family, plus Oshawott and Samurott are horrible. If Dewott didn't change so much I'd like that family so much more, but oh well.

I guess it'll just depend on what the X/Y starters final evolutions look like.

EDIT: Also, it's a shame that pic is fake. That bird looks pretty cool.
  15. Glen

Glen
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

not really, considering it wouldn't have an item or an ability that actually do anything. reuniclus with life orb is slightly less physically bulky (offset by the fact that it isnt weak to stone edge/eq) while having more special attack (after life orb), a bit more special bulk, an immunity to passive damage, and access to recovery. darm-z with its weakness to sr and lack of recovery wouldn't really be accomplishing much in OU.
  16. b2j135

b2j135

my god...this is FAKE!?!?
    BUT IT LOOKS SO BELIEVABLE!
    But that does bring up an interesting topic:
    Do you think this gen we will ever get an actually OU material Poison/Flying Pokemon that's not Crobat?
    Something like a mix of both Honchkrow and Crobat but with...more Speed and Attack?
    I dunno...

That's what you think :p
    I use to use the heck out of Darmanitan-Z back when BW1 first came out and I DOMINATED all my double matches with it, Ninetales, Lilligant, Zoroark and a couple others.
    Sure in singles it may be harder for it to survive, but with the correct team support and moves, this guy can really shine!
  17. reaverz

reaverz

The thing is, Oshawott was easily identified as an otter even when we first saw it as "Mijumaru." Chespin's design doesn't quite scream hedgehog and it seems many still aren't sure what exactly it is (as we can see by people calling it a rat, squirrel, rabbit, etc).

The only reason we can agree Chespin is a hedgehog is because of its name in other languages. And the naming pattern is very telling, for the localization teams should already know what Chespin's evolutions look like. I take the hedgehog reference in its various names as a hint of what its evolved forms look like.

What I'm saying is, if Chespin was going to evolve into an ancient rat or something else, then the other localization teams wouldn't have chosen to reference hedgehogs in its various names because Chespin doesn't really look like a hedgehog at all. What would be the point?
  18. Wishy

Wishy

Oh definitely. I don't see it becoming some kind of big force in the metagame, but as it currently stands, if you're going to bother with Darmanitan in the first place it's far better to exploit it's huge attack power to it's fullest. If you try utilizing Zen Mode, you'll just have a half-assed glass canon, and a half-assed [SLOW] special sweeper (who is really bulky, but can only ever have 50% HP).

It just sucks so hard. GameFreak could at least make it suck less.
  19. labarith

labarith

I still think Petrified should be a status condition. I don't know what it'd do... like a frozen that +6s Def + SpDef while it's statused?
  20. Agonist

is a Forum Moderator

words cannot sufficiently express how stupid this is.
  21. Hozu

Hozu RNGenius
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Dunno, I think all of the tags for this topic (except r_n's territory) fit quite well.
  22. Skore

Skore

If Gamefreak "complete the set" by adding in a Dragon Eeveelution, perhaps they could also add in a new normal type mon that evolves in various ways to encompass the types that were "physical" in Gen 1.

With the special/physical split this could be a good way to give us:

Potential for a specially inclined Rock/Fighting/Poison/Ground mon
    A good physical Ghost mon since they're probably not evolving Banette and perhaps a mono-steel and mono-bug mon that doesn't suck?
  23. Aura Flare Riolu

Aura Flare Riolu

I still want a Bug Eeveelution that learns Quiver Dance...There's your Mono-Bug type that doesn't suck.
  24. Satisfaction

Satisfaction

The eevee trend was that it had 2 new guys every other gen that's why I don't think its going to be draceon but ironeon and toxieon. These are the two types left that resist themselves which goes along with the current trend
  25. Agonist

is a Forum Moderator

inb4physicallyoriented.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)