1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aura Flare Riolu

Aura Flare Riolu

Oh don't get started on that. They can't get any worse than Flareon. <.<
  2. ZapDraws

ZapDraws
    is an Artist

It won't happen, but I hope Pinser gets an evolution. He came up with Scyther, but was left far behind since.
  3. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Really, Heracross should have been Pinsir's evolution way back when.

It's kind of funny comparing their movepool, especially nowadays. Pinsir's is FULL of fighting type moves while Heracross just has the (very appreciated) bare essentials
  4. Glen

Glen
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

i really can't help but feel that anyone who's under the impression that gamefreak is going to stick to a 'types that resist themselves' eeveelution scheme is falling victim to apophenia. it happened to be the case with all the current eeveelutions but it's such an arbitrary and meaningless rule to base your design ideas on. it's more likely just a coincidence, what possible application would only adhering to 'types that resist themselves' have, competitively or lore-wise?

'early-gen special types only' is pretty much equally ridiculous, i highly doubt that when they were designing the fourth-gen eeveelutions they thought 'oh wait we have to make sure that theyre types that, due to outdated and now irrelevant game mechanics, were only special types'.

edit: to buttress my argument, let's look at the eeveelutions through the years. 1st gen, vaporeon/jolteon/flareon were introduced, probably to show off the effects of thunder/fire/water stones, which you buy in celadon, the city where you get eevee. they probably opted not to bother giving it a moonstone evo because players already got to use their moonstone(s) on stuff earlier in the game, like the nidos or clefairy/jigglypuff. they probably didn't give it a leafstone evo because there were the version exclusive grass guys and exeggcute already, or maybe they didn't want to duplicate the starter pokemon triangle.

second gen, they introduce day and night. they introduce espeon and umbreon to showcase this feature. one evolves in the day and represents light/sun, the other at night and represents moon/darkness. i highly doubt either of the supposed 'rules' were taken into consideration here, psychic and dark just made the most sense flavour-wise.

fourth gen, the two new eeveelutions came about from touching an icy rock and a moss rock, the former was found in the newly-introduced icy terrain, the latter just in a forest. i doubt they eschewed using a 'fighting rock' to evolve eevee into fighteon because it didnt fit the 'rules', its much more likely that it just didn't work with the layout of gen 4.
  5. Quark

Quark

The game mechanics for special and physical moves weren't really that outdated when Leafeon and Glaceon came out, they changed in the game they came out, so they still would have been relevant for veterans players from the previous gen. I feel that if they designed the pokemon specifically for that game, they would have done it before the new mechanics were decided. I think pokemon design is one of the first steps in the process.

The two could also have been originally intended for gen III, when the types were still solely special, but didn't make it. Similar to Gastrodon.

Also, is it possible that all of the current eeveelutions were initially designed back in red and blue. I know that there are rumors that game freak has hundreds of pokemon already designed. It could be that they designed all of the specially based types then, adding in Umbreon for gen II. They may have then picked Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon to mimic the legendary birds and to match with the evolution stones in the game.

Or I could be way over thinking this. Yeah, probably that.
  6. keleyeemoh

keleyeemoh

I wish I could "like" posts here.
  7. Infernis

Infernis

Showcasing new mechanics? Perhaps relating to that whole 'new friendship mechanics' deal. I've got it.

Use heart scale with maximum (old happiness mechanic) on Eevee => Evolves into Luvdisc.

Use heart scale with maximum (new friendship mechanic) on Eevee => Evolves into Alomomola.

Two mindless patterns resolved with one stone.
  8. shockwave527

shockwave527

Wait...
    What?
  9. Wazzup360

Wazzup360

People are getting too damn good at making fakemons. Well, quite good speculation fodder so yeah. Now I do really hope they'll be releasing the route 1 bug en bird lol. And maybe some legends that will be thrown too OU eventually for us to get over excited for! And ice pokemons. Please. And sawk evolution... Please?

Oh wait, the fakemon discussion already ended...
  10. Farrac

Farrac

Maybe they'll throw a preevo to Throh and Sawk, and a third evo to it, like...I dunno Keek or something like that
  11. HabibsHotDogs

HabibsHotDogs

I will be mildly entertained if GF adds hardly any evo's for pre-existing pokemon. Only because we are all expecting evo's and pre-evo's for pokemon.

I'd prefer they did go with yo==our expectations though
  12. Belbazoar

Belbazoar

I'm not sure if I mentioned this but what do you guys think of a Bisharp evolution?
  13. PokemonXY

PokemonXY

Okay, now I'm sticking with someone being talented or a scrapped idea.
  14. crashandcortex

crashandcortex

This is going to sound random as hell, but one change I'd REALLY like to see in Gen 6 is a revising of the Trick Room mechanics. It always bothered me how even with the speed reversal, moves like Mach Punch and Aqua Jet would still retain their +1 priority and reverse priority moves still go last, and I'm just annoyed as to how the priority isn't consistent. In short, I want to see people punished for using priority moves in Trick Room instead of rewarded and for it to have even more unique mechanics (priority phasing perhaps?) to widen the style a little bit. Call it ridiculous, but just me giving my opinion. :)
  15. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

Then it's just the Hitmon- trio in Gen 2. I think they may add a prevo, but I don't know if they'd also incorporate a third pokemon with them. If they did, I don't really know what I'd think of it, because it would just feel lazy to me. However, they did make Muk, Swalot, and Garbodor (each essentially a mass of poisonous goo), so I can't put it past them.

Yeah, I used to think it was weird that TR didn't reverse priority, but then I realized something. If you reverse priority, then stuff like Roar and Dragon Tail suddenly become OP because they would have a very high priority. And, nothing could protect you, because Protect itself would turn into one of the lowest priority moves. So if you set up hazards, TR essentially turns any Pokemon with a phazing move into Copycat+Roar Riolu.
  16. T3chnobone

T3chnobone

My friend and i were talking about the legendaries, he says the deer reminds him of a mythologial demon-deer with poisonous horns, so we're betting on some sort of poison type, maybe poison-steel, maybe poison-grass. but his reasoning is sound.
  17. Flareon

Flareon

:(

If it was physically orientated, at least it'd have X-Scissor.

>inb4BugBiteisit'smostpowerfulSTAB
  18. b2j135

b2j135

I can agree with that because of this here

19. conway

conway

Maybe Chespin isn't purely based of a hedgehog but more a combination of a hedgehog and something else. Perhaps a porcupine. Look at Samurott. He is obviously based upon a combination of a sea otter and a sea lion.
  20. labarith

labarith

What? I think Petrified would be a cool status condition. I just don't know WHAT it should do. It should represent the pokemon being "turned to stone", or - more accurately - covered in stone.

It should be unable to move (unless it can break the stone). So that it's not just "another frozen", I thought maybe maxing the stats would be good...

ANYWHO,

* I think it'd be cool if there were more competitive "combo" moves (defensive curl + Roll out). I'm thinking like an 80 base power x move that, perhaps, doubles if you've done a different move. Or maybe flat out two moves that get better if alternated

Steel Forward Slash - 70 base power - priority if used Black Slash last turn.
    Dark Black Slash - negative priority 70 base power always hits - power doubled if used Forward Slash last turn.

* I think it'd be cool if there were competitive moves that could be disrupted if w/ prediction... like Focus Punch VS any attack, and Hi Jump Kick VS Protect. Maybe...

Ghost Etherial Coat - 60 damage + 1 to all stats, disrupted if opponent uses a physical attack this turn.

* Moves that would "react" to other moves/conditions

Ground Wall Collapse - 60 base power - power is tripled if the opponent has increased def.

Rock Stone Slab - 80 base power - power is doubled if opponent uses Surf this turn. Surf deals no damage to this pokemon this turn.
  21. Wazzup360

Wazzup360

[​IMG]

Eviolite Shuckle for uber! I'm so hillarious.
  22. DTC

DTC ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢ
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus

This is what I first thought, but then I realized that you only have a limited amount of turns to take advantage of Trick Room. Said limited turns could be taken advantage of better than priority phazing, which does not do all that much in 4 or less turns, especially considering most Trick Room teams do not use Spikes, and Stealth Rock tends to be a slightly lesser priority for them.

Reverse priority would be a slight benefit for Trick Room, but not anything extraordinary.
  23. Backwater Rifle

Backwater Rifle

I can say I disagree partially with the above statement. While I do believe the next gen will be a long ways away, I believe we will be roaming the vast expanses of Hoenn again, though I think Nintendo will do so in a different manner than just putting out an updated version on a separate cartridge. Nintendo has stated about how they would like to produce more DLC, and with the continual back log of remakes that are due continuing to grow, I think that the DLC route is the one they will take.

Sorry if someone else posted the above ideas, i'm not sifting through 143 pages to see if its been said.
  24. Agonist

Agonist You were my last great war, you were my heaven ablaze
    is a Forum Moderator

Additionally, it'd completely mess up Focus Punch, where the charge for the move is +6 priority, but then the actual move is -3 priority.
  25. JumpTigerX

JumpTigerX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)