1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaburaisu

Gaburaisu

Kinda tired of hearing about the Light type. Maybe it's a possibility (though I'd prefer not), but that's a LOT of work that needs to be done. They'd have to fix the type chart which is fine the way it is, possibly change some pokemon to match said type, change some moves to match said type, and think of a thousand more moves that could fit it. I think it's a giant waste of time. And seriously, these Light speculations have been happening every new generation since I can remember. When will people drop it?
  2. Jabroni

Jabroni

Ok, cus this is about the nature of dark types, not light type shenanigans,
    I know dark type is "evil" in japanese... but are all dark types evil? sure thief, sucker punch seem pretty bad... badass (sorry), but would you say Crawdaunt for example, is more evil than say hypno? (can't spell rohypnol without hypno)
    Ok, most dark pokemon represent mischief, and in some cases, crime, but they're not all evil. Umbreon, houndoom, absol even warns humans of impending catastrophe...
  3. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

I'm not refusing to drop it. I'm just going to continue to refute the people who argue that light absolutely will not or should not happen (unless somebody were to actually have a good reason).
    They simply called it the white yang pokemon though. There isn't anything about the pokemon's actual appearance, name, or origin that suggests light.
    That's funny coming from the person whose arguments were the least coherent.
    They were suggestions that I would like to see that would help the metagame. I never said gamefreak will do them. And I made multiple specific points about how balance is not a reason to add types (when we were discussing gen 2). So you telling me that is pretty funny.
    Rock Paper Scissors is fair? That's a game entirely based on luck.
    Well, if there is no reason to believe the bear is tame, it's black -and- red, and has horns, and its name is Iivilbear; then yes, that would probably make it the dark/evil type. Remember, I'm not saying it is literally evil. Evil in japanese probably doesn't have as extreme of a connotation as it does here. And I never said it was a fact, only that it was so blatantly obvious that I'm quite certain.

This is why I'm a bit frustrated here. You people keep twisting my words because you're fed up with noobs randomly suggesting the light type for all the wrong reasons. I'm just trying to set things straight. Light doesn't -need- to happen, but it's a definite possibility and would fit in nicely with the likes of dark, ghost, grass, and bug (all closely related to light).
  4. Yveltal

Yveltal

You are the only one out there still trying to force the belief that "light" is going to happen on other people. The rest of us either fancy ther idea but don't think it's gonna happen, or simply think it's a dumb thought and not going to happen. We already had the conversation about the Light type. It ended almost fifty pages ago, and it's a shame you didn't log on soon enough to throw your two cents in. However, stop saying it's going to happen. What's irritating is that you're coming at the topic like a westboro baptist approaches a military funeral.
    Ps, to everyone. Yang is the black part. The "White Yang" is a representation of being a splotch of white in a reality that's mostly black(yang, or Black version).

You have said that you believe Yveltal is evil. you said that at least three times, and you have tried so hard to force something more than a theory every time you reply to another reply concerning something you said earlier. Nobody's twisting your words, but noobz are always a pain, bar none.
  5. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

The only thing that I really want for this new generation are a Ghost/Steel-type with Levitate and better Flying-type attacks with wider distribution. It is ironical to see how many Flying-types are actually stopped cold by Grass-types because they lack a Flying-type move to work with. Yes, I am speaking of you, Sheer Force Landorus. Aerodactyl is also another Flying-type that is stopped cold by a Grass-type (Tangrowth). If it had Brave Bird, that matchup would turn on their heads. Physical variants of Landorus would be very dangerous if they had access to moves like Brave Bird or Acrobatics, and Scarf variants wouldn't have to rely on the innacurate Stone Edge to revenge kill Volcarona. Gliscor could actually get past the Fighting-types that it is supposed to wall, such as Breloom. Double Dance Thundurus-T would have much more love if it had a Flying-type move like Hurricane so that it could use that move in tandem with Thunder, instead of having to rely on a weak Hidden Power Ice or innacurate Focus Blast for coverage. Dragon/Flying-types could also have a Flying-type secondary STAB to use instead of Outrage so that they could muscle past Ferrothorn and deal better with Fighting-types. The omnipresence of Tornadus-T before it was banned was just to show how dangerous Flying-type attacks could be if there were better variants of them. In-game, Flying-type attacks are very useful for other reasons, but on the meta, this isn't the same history...
  6. d.hgss

d.hgss

I have a good reason. They would have to change hidden power mechanics.
    And also, where does all that "new light typing" come from? Is there at least something on the trailer that make you think they will introduce that?

In fact, it's only about luck if you play one time. If you introduce something like "the best of five", then it's all based around mental games.
  7. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Again, twisting my words. I never said it -will- happen. I'm merely suggesting it and debating that it would suit pokemon well.
    I already covered those things. Just look through the past few pages.
    Very true about the mind games. But still...
  8. -NLMRY-

-NLMRY-

I've been reading all of this nonsense about adding a light type and found this post quite amusing.

So your challenge is that there isn't anything in Reshiram's appearance, name, or origin that suggests light, yet all you're basing your argument on is that Xerneas "feels" like a light type to you? That and it has rainbow gems on its horns (mentioned a few pages back and I don't care enough to look for it). So enlighten as to what is in Xerneas' name, origin and appearance that suggests light, other than his decked-out rhine stone antlers and the fact that he was bathed in sunlight.

Wait. No, I'm sorry. Forget everything I said above. I am about to reveal the first of the fabled light type Pokémon; it's happening guys!

The very first Light Type Pokémon revealed! (open)
    [​IMG]
  9. Infernis

Infernis

I think you guys need to all stop talking past one another. Evaluate: Can anything change your opinion? Do you think you have a shot at changing others' opinions? If the answer to either of those questions is no, then why are you still talking at each other?

We'll find out eventually one way or another. It doesn't matter who believes what.
  10. Yveltal

Yveltal

Those are your quotes. You clearly believe that Yveltal is meant to be a dark type wicked being because you see it in a certain light based on what you've seen in other characters, depictions, and maybe other pokemon. Nobody's "twisting your words", and you're not the victim here. It's not a debate when you're saying that anything is "clearly" anything else. That says you're so sure that you're correct and every other theory is wrong. It's a debate when you say that you think he's evil, not when you're making obtuse blanket statements.
  11. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

People were saying that if they were going to add a light type, it would have been for reshiram. I'm not arguing that Xerneas seems a lot more like a light type than reshiram did at this stage (a little certainly though imo). I'm saying that they had a white fire dragon and a black electric dragon. Now, we've actually got a pokemon that has a 99% chance to be dark type, and a pokemon that actually is being associated with light (not just in color or the term "yang").
    Now, the reasons why I believe Xerneas seems like a light type (independent from the dark type counterpart) are what I've already said. It has rainbow antlers and was shown to have light shining down on it. Plus deer are often associated with pureness in fantasy (prisoner of azkaban for example). If you don't think these are good enough reasons, then fine. I think they are good enough to call light type likely for it.
    You said that I said that it -will- happen. There's a difference between stating something as fact like that and stating that something seems clear.
  12. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!

Ok, here are your words exactly.

Now, I'd like to point out that you are twisting others words. No one said that you were insisting that it WILL happen. You did however, express that you strongly believed it WAS going to happen, which people have every right to argue against. You also said, I quote "If it doesn't happen this gen, then it probably never will since this is the most obvious it could be", which led to most of the posts referencing Reshriam and Zekrom, which everyone except you seems to realize was a much more "obvious" opportunity due to the fact the represented Ying and Yang which literally represent light and dark. Their directly opposite coloring was just as suggestive as sparkly stones in any case.

Also in regard to your other suggestions, especially the ones suggesting the removal of hax elements... You keep using the word "fair", and I don't think you really understand the definition of that word. You keep insisting that any game determined by luck is "unfair"; however, that is not what fair means by any definition. When used in the context of a fair game, "fair" merely means that both sides have an equal chance to win. By the actual definition, Rock Paper Scissors is a fair game. Pokemon's luck chances have nothing to do with fairness. You could argue competitiveness or fun (and I'd disagree there but at least you'd have an argument), but the arguing that luck is unfair will get you nothing but ridicule.
  13. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

People actually have said that I said that it will happen. Here's the example that prompted me to say that:
    As you pointed out with your quote of me, I simply said that -I believe it may very well happen-.
    I guess I did misuse "fair" in reference to rock paper scissors. However, it is unfair for one person to be able to prevent the opponent from moving 60% of the time.
    Oh, and yin and yang just sort of represent opposites in general. Light and dark is just one of many things that yin and yang can be used to reference. I mean, the yin yang thing in 5th gen didn't end up meaning much of anything, nor did it have to.
  14. Ghost Curses You

Ghost Curses You

Not every single videogame has to be a Good/Evil Light/Darkness fight you know?
    I've written the following text like three times in order not to insult anyone's intelligence with it, and I'm tired so if any of you feels attacked or offended I don't give a....

So, rivalry between Xerneas and Yveltal, why would that happen? Of course, since gen 3 all box starters have been rivals somehow, continents (embodied by a red and black scary pokemon) vs oceans, time vs space, truth vs ideals. But it's only been like that since 3rd gen, what if, for instance, Xerneas were the protector of the land or whatever, got captured by evil team Baguette, then FORCED to do whatever evil shenanigans they have in mind in order to take all the cheese in the region for themselves (Just trying to be funny here, I'm sure you know what i'm talking about) and we have to ask for the help of Yveltal in order to rescue it? Fight against Mind Controled Xerneas using Yveltal (without having catched it) and beating the unwilling to do harm mind controlled Xerneas because of "the bond we build fighting alongside pokemon as friends" then the one we're supposed to catch giving us some key item in order to go to X place in the game, use it, then capture said legendary?

Also in another flow of ideas, what if there is not a single sequel but two like BW2?, I didn't follow pokemon BW speculation thread, since I was very busy at the time and didn't have time for pokemon, but I think I could bet that every single person said sequel to BW would be Grey, so how about not Pokemon Z but two sequels, maybe one giving Xerneas a flying form and the other giving Yveltal a ground form, made by some evil Team Baguette scientist in order to break balance in the world and we have to seek Whatever third legendary they place in here in order to reverse said changes?

I'd like to state that this is not my opinion nor my desires at all, but an example of what could come in this gen, it's a possible story.

My desires for this generation? Quite simple, keep having fun as I have since my dad brought home the Pokémon Blue GB cartridge all those years ago.
    But if I had to ask for something? Character customization, G/S/C Game length, and maybe adding a lil present in the box as PokéWalker was in HG/SS. I'm not that of a hardcore player to start spamming stats and say I want a A/B pokemon with these stats, this ability and these moves, nor asking for a buff/nerf on certain pokemon, pokemon are meant to be worse than others, would not like a game where a Beedrill could oneshot a Dragonite because "Why has my favourite pokemon, Beedrill has to be weaker than Dragonite?????" Because the one is a Bee, the other is a freakin' dragon, if you want your Beedrill to be as powerful as my Dragonite, make Weedles be ultrahard to find, evolve to kakuna at lvl 30 and to beedrill at 55, let's see if you like Beedrill that much like that.
    Game Freak doesn't do the metagame, we do it. Metagame is bound to change each gen, but as always, we'll get used to it, have some time to test the new pokes, and we'll star tiering, so best wishes to you all and hope you enjoy the games as I probably will.
  15. -NLMRY-

-NLMRY-

The point is that everyone who is arguing that Reshiram could've been light type is recalling memories from speculation that was made before they knew anything about the monster. They saw what they perceived to be/could be a dark type monster (Zekrom) and a counterpart that was opposite (Reshiram). Out of that interpretation came the ying/yang theories (or that could've been proven at that time, who knows). Which have already been recounted here so there is little reason to restate them.

You, however, are applying their arguments after the fact, as if they somehow knew anything more about the characters at the time other than what they looked like. How could they argue before the games release that Reshiram's origin made sense for it to gain light typing when there was no such knowledge? And why should they use what they learned after playing the game to back up arguments they made beforehand? And then there's the point you made about names. What about Xerneas suggests light or purity? What about the name Reshiram suggests fire or dragon? What about the name Pikachu suggests electric mouse? Does this sound familiar? You're interpreting Yveltal to be dark, an interpretation based mostly on appearance, and one that I believe most people (myself included) agree with; it does look like it will be Dark/Flying.

Now I can agree (if it is in fact what you're implying about Xerneas' bedazzled antlers) that the rainbow coloring could be a symbol for the light spectrum, the operative word being could. But as for it standing in a forest clearing (where light would be shining) that is no sign at all and you're reaching. Remember the bright blue sky with the sun shining above Yveltal? If the environments the Pokémon were shown in were going to suggest type, and a sunlit clearing meant light, then shouldn't Yveltal be flying at night below the moon? Since it was sunny around Yveltal is he light type too? Is it certain that he is not dark because it wasn't night?

And as for the argument that Harry Potter and other fantasy franchises use deer as a symbol for purity, and Xerneas is a deer and it therefore pure, are Sawsbuck and Stantler majestic beasts that exude an air of purity? Or was this connection not made by Gamefreak until they designed Xerneas?
  16. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Yes, back in these early stages for gen 5, it was understandable to think light would happen. However, it did not "miss its chance" considering they didn't end up having anything to do with light vs dark. If they had been going for the light vs dark concept, but made the typings dark and psychic, that would make the argument much more valid. That's all I'm saying. Get it now?
    Names don't always mean something about type. I'm quite certain Yveltal's does though. Anyone who really thinks the name is a coincidence is an idiot.
    Like I said before, an indicator only has meaning here if there is more than one. Grass type only has the environment to back it up.
    The deer thing is just another indicator to me. Not all deer are pure. Certainly you know of Goats being associated with demons for example. You can make a goat pokemon that's a demon, and one that isn't since they are not actually the same thing. It's just a little thing that -can- have meaning and thus further backs up the theory with the other indicators.
  17. Ghost Curses You

Ghost Curses You

What name? It's not called EVILTAL, it's called Yveltal and until I see official proof/ethimological reference that it DOES MEAN evil, I won't take that for granted, and from my point of view, it MAY or MAY NOT be a dark type, but you won't see me forcing my ideas into others or disrespecting them like you're doing. I encourage you to go read the thread, look for the light type discussion and see what a lot of people who don't bother answering for the sake of not repeating themselves thought about it.

So you don't impose your ideas but instead insult those who don't share your point of view in this matter.

I don't think Yveltal has anything to do with evil, as Zekrom doesn't have to do with electric (instead comes from kuro (black)) or Reshiram (shiro=white) or Dialga and Palkia coming from Diamond and Pearl

So please excuse me if I dont share your opinion that Name tells the nature of the pokemon, because it's as inaccurate as it's nonsense.

Take a break on posting replies, rest a bit, learn to respect other opinions, then return, kthxbai.
  18. labarith

labarith

Heracross has Close Combat. Did you think it needed more?

However, I'd be all for a Heracross evolution... or better still, a form change? Let there be "West" Heracross which are totally more awesome and have better movepools and breed to form a super worldpool.

It's a Lie! Froakie is clearly using Light Ice, the Light/Ice dual-type attack that deals 50 light damage, 50 ice damage, and has a 50% chance of giving the opponent the "super charged" status which doubles all stats, and a 50% chance of freezing it.

Duh

Also, Rotom's new form is Light/Electric... a GL-esque lantern.
  19. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

Geez, the nubcakes are going to war.

This should be fun, not emotional! No hate filled rants, please. :3

I do like Team Baguette as a name, though.
  20. -NLMRY-

-NLMRY-

21. Nyara

Nyara

Can we stop the thread of "light-type", please? Each generation, gosh, when each generation was announced people starts with the same: "Light-type because Dark-type is there! Light-type!" (even on the second generation!), it's one of most fan-invented types ever, it doesn't have sense with the oriental culture and stuff, just stop that, dark-type is "evil"-type (they fight dirty), and that's pretty much all, that's why dark is not effective against figthers, and figthers actually kick them butts, so, just stop that, light-type will never happen, other types have minimal or at least some arguments for it's possible inclusion, but light? Nope, it could not even improve balance or anything, Light = Fanbase's Favorite Type that will never happen.

Light-type = Sound-type = Turtle-type = Crab-type = Ninja-type = Fish-type = Seed-type = Human-type

We also need a Magikarp-type, too, it seems.
  22. Basileus

Basileus

They haven't made a new type since gen 2, they aren't gonna make a new type now.

Anyway, here is some cool fan art I found. I like the idea of a ghost/grass type:

Stage 1
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

stage 2
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

stage 3
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
  23. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

[​IMG]

PS: I would really like a Light-type and I support its introduction, though I would like more things related to types that we already have, such as: A buff to Grass-types (less types resisting it, or more powerful/faster/bulky Grass-types), better, more distributed Flying-type moves, a buff to Dark-types (There are no Dark-types on OU apart from Tyranitar and Hydreigon and the latter doesn't always use Dark-type moves!!! There aren't any other good Dark-types, an evolution to Scrafty would be a good idea). Better Ghost-types would be appreciated, since the only good Ghost-types we have so far on OU are Gengar, Jellicent, and to a lesser extent, Sableye, and Chandelure. Three other types that need a buff are Electric, Rock, and Ice. Electric, because there are very few good Electric-types on OU plus Electric-type attacks do not get that good distribution. Rock, because there are only two Rock-types on OU and Rock-types need more love; Rock is an potent STAB but awful defensive typing, they could introduce a good Rock-type sweeper to compensate this. Ice, for obvious reasons that everyone there knows. Fire is another type that I could see in need of more love. This type has potential, but the prevalence of rain and Stealth Rock means that very few Fire-types are viable, such as Heatran, Volcarona, and Ninetales. I feel that this metagame is too much centered on these types: Fighting, Ground, Steel, Water, Dragon, and Psychic. The other eleven types need more love.

So, if you don't mind, I would like to discuss about existent types instead of discussing of something that we don't know that would happen (I don't want to say that this will (not) happen with so much assurance)

Very cool! One of the things that I want for this new generation is a Grass/Ghost-type. It could have Celebi or Jellicent-esque stats, a middle road between the two. Because I want this Grass/Ghost to be able to counter top-threats like SF Landorus, Keldeo, and possibly Terrakion. Grass/Ghost would be interesting. It would be also an excellent counter to Brelloom if it had good defense. It could be even a counter to rain! Really, I can see a defensive or bulky offensive Grass/Ghost becoming a staple on OU teams, just facing competition from Ferrothorn (what you want to be able to handle? Dragon-types (Ferrothorn) or Fighting- and Ground-types? (the Ghost/Grass) )
  24. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

I said that people who think it is a coincidence are idiots. You simply are not convinced, which is perfectly understandable. Way to overreact. It would be like if someone thought the "wott" in oshawott didn't reference otters.

@NLMRY
    You can't be serious! Just for one example of many, you go from:
    "However, it did not "miss its chance" considering they didn't end up having anything to do with light vs dark. If they had been going for the light vs dark concept, but made the typings dark and psychic, that would make the argument much more valid." -Me
    to
    "Had Reshiram been Psychic the validity of their arguments wouldn't suddenly increase; they weren't speculating that it would be a Psychic, but that it could be a light type. And also, you vehemently argued against Psychic/Fighting being essentially considered "light", but now you seem to be admitting that at least Psychic is because you claim their reasoning would be more sound in your eyes had Reshiram had that typing." -You
    You don't deserve a real response. Stop trolling.
  25. Yveltal

Yveltal

Ghost, I love you like Star Jones loves her lipo and triple-bypass doctors right now. I'm on board with you, because like I stated earlier, Game Freak needs to consider a lot when naming their legendaries. When you stop and look at how the world looks at pokemon, evangelists have ranted at Pokemon as a franchise for teaching children how to summon demons. On top of the belief of no individual species of anything being inherently evil, I think Game Freak would want to make attempts to keep Pokemon disassociated from negative opinions about their franchise. Yvel isn't evil, because you're not pronouncing it with the right inflections. they say ee-VELL-tall, but it's meant to have more of a yee-VELL-tuhl. And either way, "evil" is a far cry from the natural pronunciaton of his name. THERE IS CLEARLY AN "E" WHERE "I" WOULD BE IN "EVIL". Also, "vel" reminds me of Hraesvelgr and Velgemon. Hraesvelgr sat at the end of the world and beat his wings to create the wind for Earth. yeah, it's a creepy crow who guarded the underworld and was known as the corpse swallower, but it's not evil. I just want everyone to consider that.

That's not to say I don't think Yveltal could be Dark, but he's not malevolent. It's rude to think anything scary is malevolent! Just look at Darkrai.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)