1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

God, I hate repeating myself. I don't think Yveltal is literally evil. No pokemon are. It's just that dark type is called evil type in japan, which is likely a reason why it's in the name. In Japan, evil probably doesn't have as strong of a connotation.
    I literally posted this exact same message a couple pages ago.
  2. Satisfaction

Satisfaction

To be fair Darkrai was the sole villain in pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of sky since Dusknoir converted with the side stories
  3. Baldafor

Baldafor

Two things.

Poison is a terrible typing in almost every setting. Offensively, it hits most things neutrally and ONLY Grass super-effectively, while having an immunity and several resists.

There is no accurate physical Poison move above 80 BP, and no other special move viable besides Sludge Bomb at 90 BP and Sludge Wave at 95 BP. The defensive advantages do not outweigh the lack of offense, which makes most Poison type inferior to all other available types in every role. A pokemon with the EXACT right stats and movepool can be any type and still succeed, but those with Poison typings have to be even more extraordinary.

Why then, can't they change Poison in the type chart to be a little better? Is it overpowered as it sits now? Is it just too confusing or hard for a budding young brain to comprehend, keeping in mind that kids are the ones that are in school most days learning and comprehending new things every day? Are type charts too hard to produce or maintain? Are there no strategy guides or online resources for people to use to learn new type matchups?

The bottom line is I guess they don't care if even the officially sponsored 2v2 metagame is balanced typing wise, and they probably never will, which is disappointing.

Dragon is OP. No Steel type and you are done in any competitive sense most of the time. No Light type or change to the chart to help. This is one reason a lot of people don't participate in the games at tournaments.

There simply aren't enough viable TYPES available, let alone pokemon of those types.
  4. Ghost Curses You

Ghost Curses You

You seem you're not getting what I'm trying to say you, let me translate what every single person would understand from your statement looking at your previous posts.

Everyone who thinks Yveltal's name being only a coincidence with the dark type it will have because I say so, is an idiot.

The main reason of this thought is you using Yveltal's name as a reason for its Dark type, again, and again, and again. So if you say "Yveltal is dark because it says EVIL on its name" and then "Everyone who thinks Yveltal's name is a coincidence is just an idiot" that's what people will think. What if it is a coincidence? As I said Besides Groudon and Kyogre no box legendaries have name relating to it's type or abilites.

I won't support a Light type because you will never face the forces of darkness as an ultimate enemy in Pokemon games, the point of these games is:
    Collect 8 Badges
    Beat E4
    Complete Pokedex
    That's it, I didn't see my pokemon blue ending when I defeated Giovanni with a message saying "You saved the world! Congratulations!" That's not the point of the pokemon games only

And for the record, I stated like 100 pages back that I thought Yveltal would be Dark/Fire with some sort of weird overpowered levitate ability conceding him immunity to ground and STAB on flying attacks and nobody killed me, because I didn't force it in anyone, and even though Dark/flying or Fire/Flying is more possible, I only stated it as a chance, so people can give a thought to it and have an enjoyable chat. Since I thought we could use the thread for what was made, talking about thinks we could expect, wishes, etc. not imposing.

For the record, when Dunsparce evolution came through, I stated the possibility of it getting diverging evolutions, one losing its wings and one evolving them, and since the Z Nidhogg legendary is pretty common my Dunsparce underground root gnawing evolution was not supported, and still nobody said nothing.

I also said I wanted some Greek mythology to come by in the form of a legendary trio running around this new region based on Poseidon, Zeus and Hades. or maybe not running but in fixed spots like Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres, even went further and said the Poseidon one would be cool if it was water/poison and called Poiseidon.

The point is, you're not the only one who has stated ideas not liked by the majority of the people who read this, hell, nobody liked mine! But the main difference is the way you take what people say to you. None of us has the power to change what will come in October, and if someone has, GIVE LEAKS, still, the only difference in getting into arguing right now is a post in October by either of the parts saying OLOLOLOL told you so... so it's pretty much nonsense, so let's do a bit of work and keep this some friendly chat ok?

Only three questions to this.

Where do I learn to?
    How much will it cost?
    Why so expensive?
  5. Yveltal

Yveltal

The answer is as simple as Poison as an attribute was made to play to status ailments. it is the ailment attribute. It plays to troll, and it's used to mess with your opponents ability to keep their pokemon alive and healthy.
  6. Volty

Volty

This is still going on? People are just that exited for 6th gen then i guess :D I know I am exited for sure!
  7. Zangeese

Zangeese

I would also like to say that I loved in Gen II where you could go back to Kanto. I remember when I first tried surfing across the map and saw that all of Kanto was there. That was so great. However, I don't see us being able to go back to Unova since that was what BW 2 was for. However, I like the idea of what someone said earlier about releasing eshop download content where you could get hoenn dlc for example. That way I wouldn't have to start all over and could just use my team, I will already have constructed and would be good for fighting higher level pokemon postgame.

I am also not a very big Metagame player, preferring to play with my favorites and just train for the battle tower. Luckily all of my favorites are useful ingame and are fun in the tower. Also, I just learned to RNG this generation and am so happy to have shiny (and flawless) versions of some of my favorite pokemon, so I hope we will be able to RNG GEN VI with the 3DS XL as easily as it is to RNG with the DSLite because I just bought one in anticipation of X/Y.

My other wishes are:
    -Easier to use Pokemon storage box, it is getting better every generation (remember having to save when switching boxes), but I think it could be more streamlined.
    -A box to store items, I miss that feature of the old versions. I always end up with a ton of holdable items I am too scared to sell in case I ever need them and they just get in the way.
    -I hope that the new announced battle mechanic is exciting. All IV->V gave us were rotation/triple battles and the dream world (both of which I never used thanks to Pokecheck giving me all the female dream world pokemon I need for breeding) but they did give infinite TM use which is great.
    -Backwards compatibility.
    -More cool new pokemon. I didn't like many of the new pokemon in the last couple generations except for the ones getting evolutions to previous generations, (e.g. Weavile and Gliscor).
    -Shadow tag chandelure. (I was so excited when I first saw that there were going to be shadow tag pokemon besides wobbuffet. I love Wobbuffet but Shadow Tag looks cooler and I love Ghost pokemon.
    -A reason to use a poison type move. The only Poison type pokemon I have ever liked are Gengar and Venusaur and that is for their other type anyway. I have always thought Poison should be super effective against water (toxic chemicals polluting the water) but I don't see Gamefreak changing up the type chart.
  8. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

It's not just the name, and I never said it was. If oshawott was a serpentine grass type, then stating the "wott" is coincidence wouldn't be as stupid. It's not because "I say so", I gave the indicating traits of Yveltal multiple times.
    If you'll recall, I originally presented my ideas in a pretty leisurely manor. Then people went apeshit. I don't take that. I defend the validity of my ideas. If other people don't like them, that's perfectly fine. But I know they're not out of the question or so terrible like everyone seems to be saying, because I have thought them out thoroughly. Anyway, I would personally love it if this thread became peaceful again.
  9. Ghost Curses You

Ghost Curses You

One point I'd like to make about Poison.
    I think it was conceived at least as start as a secondary type, more like a support to the main type, providing it some extra kick against Grass, poison status ailment (which is pretty nonsense since a huge list of pokemon can learn toxic) in a similar way Flying is, with Flying being the better made one. But the fact that there are pure Poison type pokemon should make Gamefreak look at the standard balance of teams and maybe add one more SE for poison, since there are not that many pure flying types (Tornadus only I think).

One of my wishes is that Ghost type got more pressence in the game (meaning more ghost pokemon), but Ghost pokemon I think are the hardest to design,
  10. Yveltal

Yveltal

Apparently:
    1. Your local professor
    2. About $60 if you're not buying a new console
    3. Because a girl's got games to sell! Ain't no money in free education!

Teravoltage, some new guy had to give his two cents on the topic of the box legendary's attributes fifty pages after the rest of us moved on to much more obscure (and much more heated) sub-topics. As R N has stated before, the speculation never dies.
  11. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Wow, I just had a f*cking epiphany. Xerneas will be Ferrothorn Speed Form. Yveltal will be Charizard Majesty Form.

Iron Head’s flinch rate will be upped to 50%. Every status effect will add a 25% chance to cause immobility, an extra 25% chance to get a crit, and a 25% chance to automatically make your pokemon faint. This is to make it less like that failure of a game, Chess, where you feel like you caused the outcome of the match.

We’ll get 16 new types of entry hazards like stealth rock (one for each of the perfectly crafted current types). Drizzle will get a huge buff. And no raw game mechanics will change for the remainder of the series since nothing’s changed for the past few years.

Thank god all of this will undoubtedly come to fruition. Anything that says otherwise will make me RAGE.

Glad we can all agree now. Good Bye.
  12. Infernis

Infernis

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, I guess. Seems you were ramming your head into it repeatedly anyhow, but eh.

Weepling is so adorable. And I love the double eyes on that third stage. Very well made! Hard to find Fakemon that match the current style so well.
  13. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!
    is a Community Contributor

I heartily disagree. I don't think that the type chart needs changing at all to remedy these perceived imbalances.

Poison-type is fine as is. Yes it's practically useless as an attacking type (I'm pretty sure Venusaur's Sludge Bomb and Amoonguss' Clear Smog the only damaging Poison moves you'll ever see in OU competitive play). But that's the way it's meant to be. Poison has a number of useful defensive attributes, and not just in its resistances either. It is also immune to poison and absorbs toxic spikes, both of which are very important boons to Pokemon like Tentacruel and Nidoqueen. As the sole type of a Pokemon, you're right; it isn't very good. But as someone else stated, it's probably not really MEANT to be good on its own; or at least, it doesn't have to. A large number of Pokemon quite enjoy Poison as a secondary typing (Crobat, Nidoking/queen, tentacruel, Amoonguss, Toxicroak, and others), due to its unique defensive attributes.

If poison really is underpowered, it's not due to the type itself- it's due to the Pokemon that carry it. Of all 17 types, only normal and bug have lower average BSTs, and normal by only 2 points (poison's average BST for fully evolved Pokemon is 472). Beyond that, very few poison types have really outstanding stats in any one category, and as most people know balanced stats don't cut it in the metagame unless they're all balanced around 100. It really is a case of the type being given shitty Pokemon, not the Pokemon being given shitty types.

Now compare this to dragon, which I similarly feel is fine as is. The problem isn't all with the type, it's with the Pokemon that are given it. The average BST of fully evolved Dragon types is freaking 610! Yes it is only resisted by steel, but it is also only super-effective against itself. If it weren't for the fact that the Pokemon carrying the type usually come with base offensive stats well over 100, it wouldn't be nearly so threatening. Defensively it is again quite good, yes, but hardly overpoweringly so. 4 resistances and 2 weakness is, believe it or not, the exact same spread as poison type. While the resistances are slightly more useful and the weaknesses slightly less crippling, it's not huge enough to make a big deal about, not when Steel is around boasting a much better set of resistances and garnering next to no comments.

In short, it's not the type chart that needs to be changed; it's the Pokemon that are given those typings that need changing. The issues with the type chart were fixed back in generation 2 (oh btw, steel was also to balance dragon type, not just psychic. People just don't think of it as much since in generation I there were literally no Dragon type moves that did type affected damage to worry about).
  14. -NLMRY-

-NLMRY-

If you can't understand the points I've made that's fine, all I've done is show how poor your reasoning is. You claim that any argument made for why Reshiram would have been an ideal candidate for introducing a light type would somehow be more valid had Game Freak chosen to give it a Psychic typing. In your eyes Zekrom being Dark and Reshiram being Psychic would satisfy the "light vs. dark" arguments. It's right up there in red. However, I would argue that your point makes no sense. How would Reshiram with a Psychic type make any argument that he matches thematically a "light" type more valid? And how does Reshiram being Fire rather than Psychic make the same argument less valid? Either way the predictions made about Reshiram (based on assumptions, just as you're doing with Yveltal and Xerneas) were wrong. The second point was that you have to be conceding that Psychic is considered "light", which you've argued against a few pages back. Why would Psychic/Dark satisfy thematically the light vs. dark theme if Psychic is not in some way considered "light?"
  15. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Dear god. I was not saying that Reshiram being light type would have been strengthened by that. I was saying that the argument that light missed its chance would have been strengthened. It's right there in red.
    If people thought gen 3 would bring dark, psychic, fighting starters then they simply would have been wrong. However, if the gen 3 starters were fighting, rock, flying then the argument that those typings missed their chance might be strengthened since the concept was done, just not with the right types. Ponder it good. I don't want to have to come back to this troll pit.
  16. Ghost Curses You

Ghost Curses You

There's no close enough here unfortunately, the only way you can be sure of what you say is true, is by not assuring it, or having actual facts that prove you right, that's a nice thing for you to think about.

Edit: I've been reading pokemon manga recently, and it surprises me how can it bring the child game we think pokemon is to a much more mature level, won't say anything that has to be with story more than I have previously said, but seriously, seeing a pokemon game or even a romhack based on the manga would be awesome.
  17. keleyeemoh

keleyeemoh

First of all, just so you know, you're allowed to curse on the Internet.

Secondly, shut up. You think you're clever because you can exaggerate the opinions you think the rest of us hold? God, I've grown so tired of you. And by the way, with this comment, the only one I see RAGING here is you.
  18. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!
    is a Community Contributor

You're completely missing the point of NLMRY's posts. He is saying that Reshriam being fire instead of psychic has nothing to do with the likelihood that the chance for a light type was missed, and that the reasoning you used to arrive at that conclusion is flawed. He is also saying that your own reasoning on this subject conflicts with your own reasoning on a previous subject.

And he's straight up right. Your example with the starters is just as invalid as your argument about Reshriam. If anything, the very fact that they had changed the type traingle once would make the chance of them doing it again MORE likely, not less. With Reshriam, it's completely irrelevant. The fact is that it looked like it was going to be light type, the flavor was consistent with light type, and we didn't get light type. That was the strongest case for a Light-type to date, and we didn't get it. What typing it DID get is about as relevant to this argument as what type Wishmur is (which is to say, not relevant at all).

If you cannot handle people making informed and reasoned arguments with regards to your suggestions, you should probably just leave before you get too worked up. That's the nature of this thread; when people speculate here, other people are going to comment on the merit of their speculation. That's what its here for.
  19. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Well I got punished for posting twice in a row. Excuse me if it doesn't feel a bit strict around here.
  20. Baldafor

Baldafor

Well, the 6 non-banned pokemon that are pure Poison type (Arbok, Weezing, Muk, Swalot, Seviper and Garbodor) definitely aren't winning any "Best BST" awards, but their typings prevent them from doing what they are meant to do.

Muk, for example, has 105/75/100 defenses, which are slightly better overall than Jellicent. It has base 105 attack to back it up, quite a bit of punch on a bulky mon if it had the moves AND type to use it. But, what is it hitting things with besides Poison Jab or Explosion? Pain Split and Rest are not reliable recovery, but Poison doesn't deserve better apparently. No immunities to switch in on to get a turn of setup or risk a Focus Punch, the best non-Explosion move it has.

It simply can't be a decent specially bulky tank simply because of the lack of a decent STAB, and all because it has a "decent" number of resists to balance it out? I think that's terrible. No single typing should be so bad on its own that the pokemon stuck with it are not viable as a result.

Sure, they can have the crappy stats and movepools and still suck, but at least make the TYPE not suck by itself. I mean, I don't think Swalot would be good even if Poison was super-effective against a couple more types, so why not buff the offensive typing of Poison? Bug makes the most sense to me, maybe Fighting or Water. A new generation is the perfect time to make the changes.

Or they could add/change a Poison move to be worth using, like improve the accuracy of Gunk Shot. That would be fine.
  21. -NLMRY-

-NLMRY-

22. shockwave527

shockwave527

Once again:
    Both people have the ability to do it. And, whereas the meaning of fair is:

or
    or
    this is entirely fair. One person may have an advantage, but at the beginning of the game both teams were equal, and one's strategy leading to the other being crippled does not make the game unfair. If you play soccer and someone else is winning because they played better, is that unfair? Even if they somehow keep the other side from scoring? No. You start off in the same position and it follows the exact rules, as does paralysis.

It's funny how you seem to agree that you use fair incorrectly, then switch around in your next sentence.

And really? Just, really?
    I could just as easily call you petty, childish names for "not believing it's off of the Wyvern and norse mythology". But, really, I feel I'm above that.

I can see your whole problem. You believe this so fully to be true you won't even listen to a difference of opinion. Something my younger cousin does often. Along with many politicians, I might add. But you cannot state your beliefs as fact and call people stupid for not believing them.

This name does not "clearly come from the word evil". Does Pikachu have to do with always being sick? Really? No? I mean, I clearly see "Achoo" in there. Maybe it's not spelled or pronounced the same, it's definately in there. And, according to you, this must mean anyone who thinks Pikachu is not constantly blowing his nose is, by your words, an "idiot".

Now, I just want to say, I'm not discounting a new type or your argument. Just that all of these arguments past "light is a possibility" are just mindless drivel and leading to very annoying disputes. And you need to realize when you are in the wrong and stop.
  23. Yveltal

Yveltal

title-less replies are too mainstream

I have a quick artistic user interface thought. On the start menu pokemon screen, will there still be pocket-sized sprites depicting your pokemon like this:[​IMG]
    or will they be 3d head shots next to the health bar like in Colosseum and XD? Which is more sensible? Also, did anybody wonder what our new bottom screen gear/toy is going to be? Will it be like the Pokegear? The Pokenav? Poketch? Something new that retains the C-Gear functions(I don't want them to drop the Dream World!)?

Also, the guy that made this freely admits that he made it himself, so there's no room for fake-checking disputes. I just had to put it here, because I live for these kinds of designs!
    [​IMG]
    He really put those hind-quarter wings on Fennekin to work. So livid about the crappy line quality, though.

People are really fussing over Fennekin! here's another fake made to look real in a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

One more thought. Who else has fancied the idea of a CG anime (or at least a movie) to tie in with our new lovely new 3D generation?
  24. -NLMRY-

-NLMRY-

I hope to god that Fennekin doesn't end up bipedal. I do like the bottom "screenshot" although he looks kind of mangy (too skinny imo). I also hope that he turns out to be Fire/Ground instead of Psychic. I know that's what most are hoping for, I just think F/G fits more thematically with a Fennec Fox. Although if this is the case he'd have to be physically oriented since there aren't many good special ground type attacks.
  25. Ghost Curses You

Ghost Curses You

I share your point NLMRY, It's a shame how pokemon mostly end bipedal, even tough is evolution and evolution makes living beings better and being bipedal is usually better than quadrupedal, I don't like it as much.
    @Yveltal It's amazing what people have time and talent to do, every fan creation I see amazes me, wish I could draw 10% as well as the worst of the artists who do these fakes.

Still don't like the amaterasu wannabee fennekin evo but it's what we're used to, I'd like a somewhat larger but not Fighting-type larger with some serious look on its face. And non bipedal.

Edit: Also, I do think the tiny sprites will still be in gen6 for the menu, and maybe a moving sprite in PokeDEX and pokemon data, although I think someone said that 3DS Cartridges can hold up to 1GB in information so we'll have to see, I don't know what would the size of let's say 750-775 images for data purposes on a a 3DS lets say XL so it doesn't lose quality when played on a XL size screen quality.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)