1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

This is amazing! (I could only see this now - didn't had time to see the other posts on this thread, sorry) A haunted suit of armor or chains are proably the best ideas for a Ghost/Steel, however, I would like if its design could be adapted so that it could have Levitate.

Apart from the Light-type, a Ghost/Steel is probably something that the community desires most - unlike the Light-type, the Ghost/Steel Pokémon is actually likely to happen. Competitively speaking, we need better spinblockers, and such a Pokémon is the ideal candidate. However, we also need better ways to remove hazards.
  2. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Of course, this conversation is irrelevant to new evos for old pokemon that already had an evolutionary line like Banette. We could easily have roughly 10 evos for previously non-evolutionary pokemon and 20 other new evos.
  3. TheMrBassdude

TheMrBassdude

I can only speak for myself, but I just think it's more fun to speculate about secondary typing. Mono-type starters seem so much more boring, and also a lot less likely to be viable competitively, or at least to secure a niche for themselves. So, it's more wishful thinking than anything else
  4. labarith

labarith

We've had 5 games where the starters have been the exact same 1st types. 2ndary typing helps to make them special. A reverse triangle typing makes them special AND reinforces the rock/paper/scissors mechanic.

If you were in their position, what would you do? The same thing the previous 5 generations did, or something new? Quite frankly, every time I imagine an in-between game, I try to pick a new set of starters from existing pokemon. Yet BW2 gave us BW1's starters... again. WTF? They didn't even give us dual-starters, by having us get temporary, say, G1 starters, and then meet the G5 starters after our first gym battle. Heck, we didn't even get Hidden ability starters this generation, which was almost too obvious to do.

Auto-weather is too good to nerf. I think it'd be better to make weather-causing moves permanent, and the stones give those moves priority?

Also, a decent option would be to do moves that disrupt or use up weather. for example:

Lightning Blitz - 5pp Electric - Use only if Raining. 200 electric damage special. It stops raining.

Breaktide Beam - 5pp normal 100 damage. Weather effects end.
    Hail breaking focus sashes and sturdy on almost every pokemon with them is worth it.

You want "Snow Rush" and "Snow Power"? Fine. Upping sp.Def is just silly.
    While I want pickup to be better, it's just not rapid spin.

I'd rather see things like "Rock Aborb" and "Poison Absorb" eating certain entry hazards.

But yes, there needs to be an item that eats entry hazards upon entry.

Then again, a medium stated pokemon that aborbs stealth rocks and "changes form" to a badass would be pretty format-changing IMO.
    I'd prefer "light sleep" where you're woken up by hits, and "heavy sleep" (being set by rest) going back to the G4 rules.
    Evasion is only really a problem on random wifi. A few "aerial ace" variants works, but then again so does Unaware...
    No. No, wait, let me try that again: HELL NO.

The main change I want in regards to these is a countdown icon, similar to the weather icons, on the bottom screen.
  5. lucariojr

lucariojr goodra will hunting
    is a Contributor to Smogon

A thousand times this. Sometimes on GBU I think to myself; "OK, I just need to double protect one more turn... Wait is this the third turn of TR or the fourth?". Of course, I /could/ just take notes, but eh. I agree with not reseting sleep turns when the mon is switched out as well. I don't see why everyone is getting worked up about outlandish solutions to hazards when the simplest solution would be giving some more Pokemon Rapid Spin (or better yet, make it a tutor move alongside Teeter Dance, Dragon Dance, etc). Pickup should just steal opponents' used consumables like Gems and Sashes, and not just Berries.
  6. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

I think the biggest reason is that this is the first generation where it actually seems possible for this to happen. As has been stated numerous times by myself and others, each of the starters is shown using two moves. Chespin uses Solarbeam, and then hits Golurk with an attack that is reminiscent of Night Slash: Grass and Dark moves presumably equal a Grass/Dark pokemon. Same for Fennekin, he uses Flamethrower and then a move that looks like Confusion: Fire/Psychic. Finally, Froakie is shown using Water Gun or Hydro Pump and then attacks with many quick, physical movements. Now, we can't say for sure that this is fighting, but why would GF reveal these specific pokemon using these specific moves. It just seems logical. Plus, the only other generation that they did give all of the starters second typings was awesome. Gen IV was definitely up there on my list of pokemon games.
  7. Lilligant562

Lilligant562

Have to have a real laugh at all the poor crazy fan-artists and their efforts. With no offence intended, it's obvious to why they're not actual employees of PKMNCo.

We all (ok, almost all) know that whatever is knocked up about on various websites, the Official designs will look infinitely more amazing.

U just need to compare one of those 'winning' CAP designs on this site's front pages, Aurumoth whatever to the legendary Volcarona and -- enough said!

Just look at it and weep in the fiery glow of its glory!
  8. GTS

GTS

I'm kinda surprised we haven't had any new information spoiled/leaked/released...

I want to see more of what is in store for us.
  9. Zowayix

Zowayix

Usually, Coro Coro doesn't leak until the 12th, or the 11th at the earliest (depending on what time zone you live in). I wouldn't expect any leaks for at least four days.
  10. shockwave527

shockwave527

I get the whole reverse type triangle thing, but past that, when people just say Fire/Ground, Grass/Steel, and Water/So-and-so, it makes no sense! I hear no one but myself saying, "You know, maybe Fennekin's just plain fire." I heard someone say Fennekin would be Fire/NORMAL for arceus' sake! Why would you think something would gain a NORMAL type (which has never happened before) before thinking it's just a monotype! All this speculation that everything HAS to be dual type is absurd!

As I said, I get the reverse type triangle idea. I'm talking about any speculation of OTHER dual types where they make EVERYTHING dual type. If I were making it, I WOULD do something different. And a generation with all 3 becoming dual type was already done.

Oh, and also, do they USUALLY give us old starters in the third game in a series? Because I don't remember playing platinum and starting with a chikorita (which just so happens to be MONOTYPE)

Ok, but still. It may be cooler, but it doesn't make sense (past, as I keep saying, the inverted type triangle). Why would they do that AGAIN? There's been ONE GENERATION BEFORE without a monotype starter. And, unless it's the inverted type triangle, I don't think they'll be doing it again with only one generation in between.
  11. Yveltal

Yveltal

Consider, if you will, Fennekins opponents. didn't it use a fire attack on a Psyduck, and then use Squiggly-Lines no jutsu on Kirlia? I can understand if they just wanted to show her doing heavy damage with unconventional type matchups. What we should consider is the language of fighting. Fennekin may be using unorthodox attacks on specific opponents that appear to be long-range attacks. Does this tell us Fennekin will become something with a high special attack stat more so than what its future typing will be? Has anyone tried deciphering their stat distribution?

EDIT: So I know this doesn't really matter competitively, but stylistically, I really want a new bird that's FLying type first, Normal type (or whatever type) second. Everything that's part Flying has Flying-type as its second attribute. To be treated as a support type up until Tornadus is a little rude :-|
  12. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

I'm not surprised, there should be something in the next corocoro scans in the next few days, but the games were only announced a month ago, and we still have 8 months left before release, so I imagine they'll be releasing information closer to release date.
  13. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Fennekin's move is probably just growl. It's kind of funny, the animation is actually almost identical to tickle in colosseum. I'd like to believe psychic type moves will look more mystical than pink lines.
    Froakie's move will probably just end up being fury swipes or something new. Although a multi-hitting move could really just be anything, even something that doesn't actually hit multiple times, like return.
    Chespin's move is probably the most convincing since it's a purple slashing move being used on a ghost type.
    I doubt they'll do that triangle, but it is interesting the way they decided to show off the starters, like you said.
  14. Infernis

Infernis

Shockwave, the conversations about secondary typing are still happening because that's more interesting to talk about. Wild speculation about things we don't know being more interesting than things we do. We know Fennekin's fire type. It wouldn't surprise anyone to learn that it remains fire type as it evolves. I imagine that each starter will be speculated to be paired with 5-6 other types as we gain more variegated information.

Fennekin doesn't look much like a close-range brawler at the moment, but neither did Torchic. (Thing didn't even have arms.) Until we see its evolutions, it will be difficult to see what it does. I'm willing to go along with a high special attack, though. Most fire starters are either balanced or leaning towards attack, so it'd balance them out a bit. If it's paired with psychic, a high special attack is basically guaranteed. If it's paired with ground, it will likely have good defense.

As for the Pokemon that is flying type first, there's always Altaria evolving into a Flying/Dragon supercloud. That'd be neat. You're right though, that there aren't enough flying-themed Pokemon that are primarily Flying type.
  15. Lorenz

Lorenz

@Labarith: Only decent thing that gets Unaware is Quagsire. It goes back to having to carry something to handle only one problem in the game. And it's not like I'm running into evasion boosters every game. It's not too often, it's just when I do I'm losing because I can't hit the thing not because I'm being outsmarted.

And auto-weather being too good to nerf? Then why do I constantly see the forums popping off with ban auto-weather? GBU and Smogon standard may not follow all the same rules but tons of the strategies are still the same, just tweaked for smaller team size/doubles/triples. Auto-weather is ridiculous, it needs to be limited.
  16. Wazzup360

Wazzup360

I don't agree. First reason is that all the moves shown in the vid are still pretty decent and strong ones, like solarbeam, night slashish, flamethrower etc. Would be weird to throw a random weak growl in the video. Besides second reason, psychic in the past games where most of the time just pink lines. Might be a weak psychic attack like confusion or psywave (thats still worth showing) but doubt it's something like growl.
  17. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

[​IMG]

This, from Serebii's Fakemon page, was apparently a "leaked image" of Mudkip's final evolution. Looks much like Swampert, huh? We may laugh now, but it must have seemed very plausible when it first circulated on the Net. Too bad I wasn't that much into the Internet at the time, so I don't know much about it, but I'd love to see more fakemons from the early Gen. III speculation. Are there any veterans out there who would care to share their stories?

I think one thing is certain, though: Nobody would have seen Blaziken coming. I bet people imagined a giant bird not too different to Pidgeot or Archeops, but on fire. I'm not sure if the starters were revealed before their evolutions, though, so I might be wrong.

Either way, we shouldn't take anything for granted from the trailer. Heck, there is a graphical glitch in the vine swinging scene, and Chespin's "slashing attack" background is probably taken straight from Aerial Ace animation (might be a placeholder). Actually, I think none of the moves shown in the trailer were even finished, and the animations are very likely to change. They might be unfinished to the point of irrelevancy. We might argue all we want about the starters and their moves, but at the end of the day, we know nothing and shouldn't act like we do.

Oh, and have a Torterra too:
    [​IMG]
  18. TheMrBassdude

TheMrBassdude

Every mono-type/dual-type starter combo has already been done. Gens I and III had two dual-types with a single mono-type, Gen II had three mono-types, Gen IV had three dual-types, and Gen V gave us one dual and two mono-types. So, there's really no pattern. If anything, we're more likely to get three dual than we are two dual and one mono. (Plus, Gamefreak's the same company that gave us Fire/Fighting three games in a row. I don't think they're worried about starter patterns)

Also, Fire/Normal was a pretty terrible idea, yeah. But because any of Fire/Psychic, Fire/Dark and Fire/Ground seem a lot more appealing, unique and fun than mono Fire, we'll continue to speculate about them. No harm done in any predictions.
  19. Belbazoar

Belbazoar

So far Gen one through five starters have been like such

Grass/Poison
    Fire/Flying
    Water

Grass
    Fire
    Water

Grass
    Fire/Fighting
    Water/Ground

Grass/Ground
    Fire/Fighting
    Water/Steel

Grass
    Fire/Fighting
    Water

so going by the pattern if I'm not looking too much into this which I very much may be, I would assume the next typings would go something like

Grass/???
    Fire
    Water/???
  20. PME

PME

156 pages is A LOT to read, so I'm hoping that I'm not the only one who thinks that Fennekin's evo might just be Fire/Ghost. Ever think that it's second attack might've well just been Astonish? Or a new Ghost move all-together? Chespin using Night-Slash, I can go along with that. Froakie possibly using Close Combat? I personally thought it looked more like Quick-Attack before ANYTHING else. It would fit the "hitting the 2nd opposing mon super-effectively" thing. Although, that would contradict the reverse-triangle they might bring back, but not by much, only the Fennekin vs. Froakie match-ups.

Also, Xerneas being part Grass. I can see the reasoning behind this, but I can't bring myself to follow along with it. As I watch the trailer, I thought, "This box art legend could definitely be part Steel, due to those blade-like limbs." And I see that's already been said many times throughout these posts, so my theory is not so farfetched. I might even be inclined to believe that it would be a PURE Steel type. Having mono-type box-legends (sort of again) could be interesting.

Now, the character customization theories. The ONLY Pokemon game that comes to mind that has done this is Battle Revolution, and I HIGHLY doubt they're bringing it back for the main games. The male protagonist can just be looking into the mirror after the usual "intro" to the "world of Pokemon" is finished, maybe he's just thinking about the adventure ahead of him? He/she could also, just as easily, receive his/her goggles from his/her mother (or even dad, *shrug*) to help him/her through the next route (example: "The next route has occasional sandstorms, use this to help you see better along the way.") So yes, maybe a pseudo-gogo goggles (for the RSE fans).

But I'm just another opinion on the web and thought that I would pour out my theories on you, but again, these are only theories.
  21. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

I just can't help but feel that they would draw inspiration for how moves look in 3D from the existing 3D side games. And I'm pretty sure Audino was using Wish, but I guess the starters did otherwise use attacking moves. If that pink line move was in fact a psychic type move, I guess I would put my money on psywave. That's not much of a stretch I suppose.
  22. MattWillSurvive

MattWillSurvive

I'm fairly surprised that a considerable number of people are guessing that Froakie's non-water type attack is Close Combat or something. To be honest, it looks--and sounds, sort of--like Spark to me.
  23. shockwave527

shockwave527

Unless I've missed a post, you're the first person I've seen to say that. While interesting, it's one of the more powerful, rare, and end-game types, so I'd never see any starter becoming anything in the realm of dragon or ghost. Heck, flying was weird, but that was when things were still being figured out.

I agree. Just because it was in a forest doesn't make it grass, and take out the setting, I see nothing that screams "grass" about it beside it being a deer.

It's a possibility, but more likely is optional clothing. The characters look too pre-set to be customizable. With clothing, they did it (sort of) in diamond and pearl (for contests), and that seems like something you may be able to do, and would definitely work with the mirror idea. But I don't see optional characters being a thing for this, as the character design has always been so connected with the game, battle revolution was the one game they did that and that didn't really have a story at all.
  24. TheMrBassdude

TheMrBassdude

Honestly, the concept of the mono-Water stage 1 starter getting Close Combat seems like the most ridiculous thing I've read on this thread so far, including the 50 pages of Light-type debate. I'd sooner expect this generation to give us third-stage Eeveelutions (except, of course, for Flareon)
  25. shockwave527

shockwave527

If it is close combat (which I, too, doubt), it may not actually get it and they may just be showing off that move.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)