1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorpdestroyer

scorpdestroyer is a pious radio
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

I've a feeling the starters will get signature moves and possibly form a secondary fight/psychic/dark trio. I still don't get how they named Chespin though.
  2. Verminator

Verminator

Maybe it has some Arceus-style Multitype-esque gimmick going on, or maybe it has a signature move that changes type with a held item, like Genesect.
  3. reaverz

reaverz

It's chestnut+pin. Its name in other languages seem to use a combination of chestnut and needle, porcupine, hedgehog, etc. It's very likely it will have a lot of quills or spines in its final evolutionary form.
  4. Garud

Garud

I'm going to call my Fennekin Mozilla... :P
  5. Phadunk

Phadunk

Late to the party. But dear god. This looks wonderful.

So grass/dark, fire/psychic, and water/ghost is my initial guess from the moves I saw. But that's also the optimistic naive side of me.

Damn. Time to go buy a 3DS again. All that RNGing from past games seem like such a waste now.

The no sprites and more of actual characters is brilliant. I'm thrilled. Pokemon is becoming real everyone. I promised myself on B/W I wouldn't spoil the surprise and know all the new Pokemon by the time I bought the game..and I sure will try this time as well. But c'mon.. you just can't go in blindly. I have to at least pick the best end resulting starter.

Look forward to reading through this thread more thoroughly tomorrow when I have more time.
  6. MrIndigo

MrIndigo

I feel like this announcement means Smogon needs to overhaul the way it deals with metagame changes (banlists etc.). I think we've made a valiant effort in democratising the process of determining what's good and bad, but the whole thing takes so long (a few months arguing about what individual thing should be tested, qualifiying to vote process, Suspect testing for a few months, then voting process, and then finally making the change... for the single thing. Then the process repeats.)

If changes are going to be introduced faster than we can moderate the metagame, we need to change out metagame moderation process. Perhaps a less democratised process (e.g. no qualification round for voting, you just take the top 100 people on the ladder in the previous month), or testing more things at the same time, or having an auto-ban for a pokemon that makes usage over 30% for two-three consecutive months.

As for the game itself - it looks good. I thought I was over Pokemon somewhat, but the trailer made me excited. If it had been on sale already, I'd snap buy.

I like the idea of a Frog starter, but I suspect I'll end up taking the Fennec Fox. I think I'll be taking Pokemon Y too - from the looks of things, the Legendary is Dark/Flying in Y and Psychic in X, and I think Y's legendary just looks cooler.
  7. Fennekin

Fennekin

I'm DYING for Xcalibur to be a Grass/Steel and Yvern to be Dark/Flying. <3
  8. Morgenstern

Morgenstern

i want my steel/ghost pokemon with levitate D:<..and the starters look like shit tbh..i hope their evolutions are much better...and god they are forcing me to buy a 3DS D:
  9. widget624

widget624

http://gematsu.com/2013/01/pokemon-...on?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

Following this morning’s announcement, a few additional details on Pokemon X and Pokemon Y have come out of the Japanese media.
    Here are some choice tidbits from Pokemon Company president Tsunekazu Ishihara in a note attached to this morning’s Japanese press release.

• In addition to existing Pokemon, there will be a large number of completely new Pokemon. The additions will bring the total number of Pokemon in the franchise from the current 649 to over 700.
    • Because of Pokemon X and Y, the Pokemon anime, movies, card game, and merchandise will “break into a new dimension.”
    • People around the world will be able to simultaneously experience “Real Play.” (I’m assuming this is referring to the game’s global October release.)
    • The game will utilize the 3DS to its maximum abilities to leverage its overwhelmingly beautiful presentation.
    • The game uses an innovative communication system that makes it feel as if you are playing with other players around the world.
    • The bonds between players and Pokemon will deepen, and Pokemon will become stronger with the new battle structure.
    • Everyone will enjoy the game’s scenario and music.
  10. Bof

Bof

Froakie is...I love him! I don't know how people don't like him. Fennekin is my second favorite, seeing as how he reminds me of Ninetails. Chespin is grass Oshawott.

Also, in the preview, did anyone notice how X had Red Blue Yellow on his antlers and Black and White on his legs? While Y had Ruby and Sapphire around his face. If GF truly does make a Pokemon Z - - or even X2Y2 with new forms like BW Kyurem - - could Z feature Gold Silver Crystal, Emerald, and Diamond Pearl Platinum? I've spent time trying to get my head around this. Could it possible hint that this will be the last generation? Creativity has fallen a lot...
  11. Its_A_Random

Its_A_Random The imitated
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

I might as well throw my five cents worth on all this.

Firstly, I have to say, graphically, this game is a huge improvement over the previous games. I am loving these fully 3D graphics, & fully 3D world. It was bound to happen, & initially, I could not imagine what a main series game would look like in fully 3D. This just blows me away. Just as well I bought my shiny new 3DS a couple of weeks ago.

I am also liking the new starters. Chespin, Fennekin, & Froakie, all appear to be, in my opinion, better looking than the Gen V Starters—It is as if I can fall in love with them more than them. I see all three of them staying mono-Grass/Fire/Water for their evolution lines, though I do hope that GF does not troll us again by making Fennekin's final form Fire/Fighting... -.-'

X-mon & Y-mon seem okay in design. tbqh, I can see X-mon being a Psychic-Type, if anything, & Y-mon appears to be based of a Wyvern, so I would not be the least bit surprised if Y-mon was a Dragon-Type, probably Dragon/Flying if anything.

If anything, when I saw the name of the titles, one thing I could notice is that GF appear to be running out of ideas now... -.-'

All in all, I am liking what I am seeing so far. Hopefully, the rest of the content we have not seen yet is not really disappointing...Cannot wait to see more, nevertheless.
  12. Infernis

Infernis

I'm confused. Pokemon will 'become stronger with the new battle structure'? I don't think this changes anything. Of course they level up by battling. Or are all the Pokemon more powerful? Power is relative, so that wouldn't change a darn thing. (After all, if everybody's special, noone will be.)
  13. Infernis

Infernis

Running out of ideas for names? I'd say XYZ is a pretty clever trio name for the first 3d game. Not to mention the possible parallel with DNA from the Japanese logos.

I had noticed the X-deer coloration, but I'm not so sure about Yvern. I don't see the Kyogre in it. Thing's got the color scheme and claws of a gorram flying Groudon, but little blue is to be found, and it looks little like a Kyogre, barring the flat wings which could be akin to the fins of the Leviathan.
  14. Count Serperior

Count Serperior

Is it just me, or was the player character only turning at 90 degree angles?
    : (
  15. Blazi

Blazi

Nothing we already knew though. Over 700 pokémon seems pretty OK, but I think it will be a bit less than 800. The supposed new battle structure is interesting, as I don't really know what that's supposed to mean. The trailer also said something similar. Perhaps no more IVs/EVs? Would suck, as that would mean I've bred these pokemon for nothing....

Also, another thing I noticed when I was looking at the pictures at Serebii, which has probably been discussed before I guess, is the possibility to change the characters clothes. This is perhaps also why they showed the character looking into a mirror.

http://www.serebii.net/xy/pics.shtml
    Picture 4 and 19.
  16. Bof

Bof

His face is Ruby and his eyes are Sapphire.
  17. Verminator

Verminator

Okay, that's got me intrigued. Does this mean there'll be a new levelling system that runs parallel to good ol' EXP and EVs? Of course, it could just be a bit of pointless marketing blather, like so:

My brain-gears wanna spin but there's tantalizingly little fuel to spin them. I need more info like a junkie needs crack.
  18. Blazi

Blazi

Another thing I noticed was that Y has very visible veins on his body (family blood, being related, etc), while X has "antlers" which may refer to a family tree. Really interesting, as this would fit perfectly with the DNA story.
  19. Brammi

Brammi

Watch Froakie have an evolution Karacroaky.
  20. Deaga

Deaga

Because if Charizard didn't get Fire/Dragon, then why the fuck does Reshiram get that?

Just because it didn't happen earlier on, doesn't mean it can happen now. Though I really don't think X looks Fire/Grass at all. :/
  21. Shroomisaur

Shroomisaur Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.

Thanks for sharing this link. Most of this information is pretty expected, but I'm most interested in the part that reads... "The bonds between players and Pokemon will deepen, and Pokemon will become stronger with the new battle structure."

That's vague enough to mean anything, of course, but it's got me thinking about a new sort of bonding/affection system to replace the "Happiness" value in current games. Alongside EXP you would gain some sort of "Bond" points in battle that also boost your abilities. Being able to gain "bond" points doing other things, like from the Pokemon contests/pokeathelon/etc, would make those side-events useful as well!

Perhaps your bond with your Pokemon could finally replace the horrible IV system, or at the very least, it could allow you to remove all that IV frustration by letting you maximize your IVs by spending time with your favorite Pokemon. The trailer states "the more you battle together, the stronger your bond will become", and Pokemon has always been about that... spending time together will make you both stronger. IVs are my biggest peeve, and this idea makes sense. Just thinking about it... exciting!
    pure wishful thinking, but still... c'mon gamefreak!

Anyway, the announcement of X and Y sure was exciting news, I can't wait for more info tomorrow...
  22. Aurinko

Aurinko

That wasn't meant to be taken serious, but a competitive Milotic is something I'm waiting for since the end of Gen 3, and in terms of aesthetics, Milotic and Ninetales would've made a nice pair of weather-inducers.
  23. tintinwong

tintinwong

What would be the first thing you would look at the moment the ingame data of Pokemon XY?
    eg. Mechanics, new moves/items, new pokemons and their movepool etc.
  24. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

Eagerly awaiting the reveal of Pokemon XY's overreaching algebraic theme.
  25. RotatingAtom

RotatingAtom

I'm still debating wether I wanna stay spoiler-free until October or not. It's gonna be tough.

Also, am I the only one who is hoping for a "hard-reset" of connectivity? Like Gen 3, which didn't include trading with Gen 1 and 2.
    I'm bringing this up because of the question of how long are they going to keep backwards compatibility going...
    "Arrived after an incredibly long travel through time." ???
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)