1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wazzup360

Wazzup360

Best post ever. Happened in the past so I do see some new poke be shown in the movies. Now we just have too wait a lil bit for the scans! Let's hope we won't get an silhouette TT_TT
  2. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Please, please, please, say you're trolling?
  3. Xenol

Xenol

I thought the whole "werefox" thing already belonged to Zoroark?

If similar to HG/SS where there is an option that caters to the retro fans (the GB sounds), how do you think of the idea of an entire "retro/GB mode" for that extra dosage of nostalgia?

[​IMG]
  4. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Wow, never thought of this - I loved the retro sounds in HGSS, and an optional retro gamemode in X and Y would be freaking awesome.
  5. Agonist

Agonist He had seen it, felt it's might, bent under
    is a Forum Moderator

How can you have a "retro mode" for a game that's never been released before? Furthermore, most of the buyers currently being targeted to buy the game weren't even alive when the Red and Blue were around, or hell, even Gold and Silver. It'd just be a complete waste of time, since they'd have no appreciation for it at all.
  6. redundant

redundant

They aren't the only ones who will be buying the game, and there probably won't be a lot of people who'd refuse to buy the game because of an optional retro mode. It'd be a nice throwback to long-time fans and might even draw in more sales, albeit a small amount.
  7. Flareon

Flareon

I don't see why they'd put a retro mode in to be honest. They out the retro mode in HG/SS because it was a remake, and knowing that many people who had previously played the originals would be getting it, threw it in there.

However, I do want to see the return of a HG/SS esque touchscreen, especially the infinite running shoes thing. Best menu of any Pokemon game.
  8. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

A retro mode sounds like an enormous waste of resources for everyone on staff
  9. Ingo

Ingo

IT TOOK ME 1 AND A HALF WEEKS, BUT I'VE FINALLY CAUGHT UP TO ALL 161 PAGES OF THIS DAMN THREAD. WOOT
    In other news hello everyone, I've been keeping up to pace with this thread and I have to say, many interesting things have been seen on here. Can I say that I think that the starters will be Fire/Psychic, Grass/ *Gets shot*.
  10. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!

*blows out smoke on gun*

Anyway, yeah I'm with R_N on the retro mode. That would be a massive waste of resources for something that so few people would enjoy. Just think of all the additional sprites, sounds, textures and everything they'd have to put in. It would take so much time out of the production that could be put forward to doing much better things like adding gym leader rematches, extra locations to explore, post-game activities and the like.

Games require time and money to make remember.
  11. Yveltal

Yveltal

a 1995 style-switch for the game would be a great source of reference and study material for up and coming game developers, but we don't really need it. I'm afraid it may take up too much precious time, money, and potentially too much space on the game card, to justify making it an optinal play mode.
    I saw that 8-bit commercial, and it got me thinking, "what if pokemon released Red Verison as gen 1 and Blue version as Gen II at the same time? At the end of the main story, the national dex would unlock and you would really have to trade with your friends who own the other version to catch everything.
    But that might also be bad marketing, along with an insane stretching of resources and employees.
  12. shockwave527

shockwave527

OK NEW INFO TIME

Well, not exactly, but sort of

I know they don't usually announce new Pokemon on Pokemon Smash BUT

For the past few weeks, they've had a short segment
    Where they show one or two guys, every day, in eeveelution costumes
    And as of last week, they've done every eeveelution plus eevee

What could this mean?

If anything, I'd say this is a perfect opportunity for them to announce a new eeveelution. I'll be watching the livestream and post directly here if anything new or not new is shown, but if you want to watch the stream, Here's a link to a guy who has it. Not the best quality and commentary, but you'll get the news as soon as it comes out (given there is any):
  13. R_N

R_N

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just ALL the eevees showing up
  14. Basileus

Basileus

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone on that show was on crack.
  15. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Oh, you're 100% right, I totally overlooked that part about Water/Fighting and Fire/Dragon. So much for a better Poliwrath...
  16. Yveltal

Yveltal

They're just doing the eevee thing because they want some way to keep the new movie relevant without busting out a giant scary-ass Genesect. At least, that's what I'm thinking. Also Eevee's generally more popular and brings in more fans than Genesect for various reasons outside of looks. Whether it means they want to focus on Eevee to introduce a new evolution or not is frustrating to figure out. Curse you, show writers!
  17. Mario With Lasers

Ok, got to the end of the thread. People were discussing starter types earlier and suggesting Ghost would be an ~awesome~ idea, and... I know I've suggested Dragon for Fennekin, but... doesn't being a Ghost-type mean you're... dead...?

Like. Do you want to kill the starters? What have they done to you????? I just want Fennekin to become some crazy fox-Chinese dragon hybrid, you want to take the live out of it!
  18. R_N

R_N

I think Ghost more means having ghostly properties

otherwise every snorunt is killed and nincadas are secretly shrodinger's cicada
    e: except for the actual ghosts i guess
  19. Basileus

Basileus

The coolest and most useful in MY opinion typing for the final stages of the starters:

Chespin; Dragon/grass
    Probability: 0.5/10

Fenniken; Psychic/fire
    Probaility: 5/10

Froakie; Water/steel
    Probability: 1/10
  20. Mario With Lasers

Exactly. Shedinja is some dead carcass already and maybe only Froslass, out of ~30 Ghost-types, might be still alive. I think they'd go with Psychic or Dark instead of Ghost to show off any otherworldly abilities.

Then again, Froslass. It's an exception (unless it's really dead???) that I would like to see being used more. So fine, then.
  21. R_N

R_N

The Gengar line isn't even really a ghost
    they're poisonous balls of gas

while sableye is.......
  22. shockwave527

shockwave527

I'm not saying that this will happen, but it is both likely and unlikely.

Regardless, I will be sure to post here whether or not anything new is said.
  23. Yveltal

Yveltal

Yuki onnas (froslasses point of inspiration) are technically spirits.
    Sableye is supposed to be in part based on the hopkinsville goblin, but that doesn't really explain its typing. Hopkinsville goblin-like creatures are popular amongst the japanese. having appeared as little demons and the like in other media.
    EDIT: I added this after IcyMans post below me. Ghost refers not only to dead things, but haunted, almost magical things brought to life by a dark incantation, a bad ending to an ordinary object or a curse.

Also, I want a stealth plane shaped pokemon inspired by the Phoenix Lights alien encounter case. I'll be a really good boy all year, just gimme.
  24. IcyMan28

IcyMan28

Just look at Banette for the precedent. According to the dex , it is an abandoned marionette doll that actually came alive, despite being a ghost-types. Other exceptions are the animatronic Golett line with their ancient power, and the obvious Giratina. Ghost does not necessarily mean dead.
  25. Carta

Carta

I'm looking forward to the release of this, but I'm unsure as to whether or not I will be able to adapt to 3D perspectives on a handheld device.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)