1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeteorMiss

MeteorMiss

In terms of the name origins...

I originally thought that the names were based on spacial dimensions, and then the third version would be Pokemon Z due to the 3-dimensional nature of the games. However, I noticed the third version of this generation will be the 23rd main series game released in Japan.

This may just be a coincidence, but it greatly adds to the theory that the names are based on chromosomes (since the x and y chromosomes are the 23rd and last chromosomes in humans). The Japanese logos also look a bit like DNA strands, too.
  2. McGrrr

McGrrr Facetious
    is a Contributor Alumnus

The new stuff is impressive, and I'm no longer disappointed at picking up a heavily discounted 3DS towards the end of 2011.

To those still hoping for a third generation remake; this doesn't make sense to me because the EV/IV system and formulae are consistent with later generations. Additionally, it's possible to transfer Pokemon from RSE to the latest generation. Providing that XY is backwards compatible, this will remain the case.

I'm mainly hoping for something that will change the mechanics on the scale of the transition from RBY to GSC, or from GSC to RSE. The generational changes since have been tame in comparison, and I feel that things are growing stale.
  3. MakaiMai

MakaiMai

I'd be fine with the names if they rolled off the tongue better, or were easier to pronounce. Xerneas at least has a reasonable guess for me, but Yveltal...bleh, I'm not even gonna try.
  4. cartercr

cartercr

Great, another Grass/Psychic...
  5. deluge

deluge

BTW, I don't think we got a single glimpse at the bottom screen during the trailer. That would have given us way more info about the game systems than Nintendo wanted to reveal.

There are a number of interesting possibilities here. Street Pass seems made for Pokemon and there's Spot Pass for updates and distributions. Also features enabled by the HGSS pedometer are built into the 3DS. I wonder if the whole "bonding" thing they're talking about involves taking your Pokemon with you while you walk etc.
  6. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Please note that TPCi tend to mispronounce Pokemon names from time to time so take it with a grain of salt. Overall I have to say that I really digging the legendaries' appearance and names.
  7. Uvood

Uvood

The legendary names really seem like they are supposed to be pronounced in Norwegian, they roll on my tongue quite easily. Might be hinting that these two are inspired by Norse mythology, like people were mentioning earlier in the thread.
  8. b2j135

b2j135

Well I claiming it right now, Yveltal is Dark/Flying, Dark/Dragon, Dark/Psychic, or Dark/Normal
    Dark at this point is confirmed because it has the pronunciation of "evil" in it's name (ee-VELL-tall), and we all know that the Dark type in Japanese is called the Evil type.
    2+2=dark type lol

Xerneas (ZURR-nee-us) sounds similar to Arceus...and that is all I could think of lol
    INB4 GHOST/STEEL WITH LEVITATE!
  9. Joel

Joel

I just want to re-post your post so that it tries to get more notice. I agree with every word here.
  10. Darkmaster77

Darkmaster77

Reading in another website the this legendarys are based in a myth from a Japanese city of Nara in which Yatagarasu ( a 3-Claw Crow) and a White Deer are divine messengers
  11. Sidfrid

Sidfrid

Yveltal instaban now!!!

(jk)
  12. MLaRF

MLaRF

Why would we instantly ban a pokemon we know nothing about? that's like banning regigigas before gen 4 came out.
  13. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1

Given I've nicknamed a pokemon in game Ystra before (or more accurately, made someone else do so in the Scramble thread, which was given the pronunciation "EE-stra"), I'm going to say:

Yveltal = EE-vel-tal (or ee-VEL-tal, though the one below would be preferable)

Sounds like "evil", makes sense given there's no vowel after the Y to take Y's other vowel-like sound.

Alternatively, Yveltal = I-VEL-tal

I'd be happy either way. As long as it's not Ye-vell-tall for some odd reason.

As for Xerneas, I'm going to guess it'll be pronounced exactly as it looks:

Xer-nee-as

With the X taking the same sound it does in "Xylophone", sorta like halfway between an S and a Z (though probably closer to S...).
  14. Anartya

Anartya

Yveltal has that houndoom-like face...especially the horns on it head. The horns face front instead of back. Looks very promising as a dark/flying.

But Xerneas's majestic stance...looks really good. If you look at the background...Xerneas is in a forest...while Yveltal is above the clouds.

Would be great if Xerneas's was grass/steel...a very nice Uber-tier typing.
  15. BluhBluh

BluhBluh

Making a prediction.

Xerneas has grass-typing
  16. Infernis

Infernis

This is true, but also note that the DSi and 3DS don't have a port for migration. And the original cartridges are starting to fail, what with their built-in batteries and clocks. It's possible, but it isn't easy or accessible.

Anyway, found something interesting on Pokebeach. Xerneas' eyes are red and blue, and have an X-shaped iris. Someone was noticing Yveltal's Ruby/Sapphire eyes before, so there's a connection. It also means that Xerneas contains color references to every single previous game. Red and blue in the horns, gold and silver in the horns, ruby and sapphire in the eyes, black and white in the legs... which makes me think that diamond/pearl are the blue body structure, but I'm not entirely sure on that part.
  17. Pickaxe

Pickaxe

Hey guys, calling it now.

Gen VI is where they finally introduce a "Light" type to oppose Dark.

And no I don't care what the Japanese name for "Psychic type" is.

Time to retroactively turn things like Delcatty, Blissey and Clefable into Light types.
  18. Present

Present

Just noticed that Xerneas has an X in its eyes, instead of a normal pupil. (somewhere in the video, you can see it quite well)
  19. feriokun

feriokun

I'm going to hope for...

Fire/Psychic
    Grass/Dark
    Water/Fighting

It would give every Starter a way to kill any of the other starters. It would be really interesting!
  20. Sæglópur

Sæglópur

I could be wrong, but won't RNG be near impossible with this new engine?
    I'll be interested to see if the RNG researchers here can crack it.
  21. Fizz

Fizz

I dunno, Blissey's a pretty heavy gal.

But seriously, light ain't gonna happen.
  22. TooMuchSugar

TooMuchSugar

If there was going to be a light type, it would have been introduced in BW.
  23. MLaRF

MLaRF

I dunno, there weren't many pokemon in B/W that seemed like they would fit into the "light" type, whereas in this one we have a rainbow-horned deer who was first seen sunbathing, opposite what is very heavily implied to be a dark type. If a light type is introduced, this generation would make the most sense.
  24. The Cicada

The Cicada

Yveltal=evil-tail

Xerneas=Zer-neigh-as
  25. Onicon

Onicon

Too bad the names don't come with a pronunciation guide.

Xerneas must sound like [ˈksɛrniəs] or [ksɛrˈniəs] for English speakers. I personally would call it [zeˈneːas] but [ˈzeneːas] is ok, too. It is a really flexible name.
    Yveltal is tricky. I am pretty sure I have to stress the first syllabe. [ˈaɪvɛltɑl] sounds decent enough, though the Y might be an ɪ for [ˈɪvɛltɑl].

And no, no Light for you. Dark is misleading enough, for it is "evil" in Japanese. Psychic is "Esper", and we all know it means "extra-sensory-perception".
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)