1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Seriously? Photosynthesis, ice reflects light particularly well, light gets rid of darkness (pureness also vanquishes evil if that's what you're thinking), and vice versa for that. That's a common dragon stereotype in fiction/mythology. Obviously they're not always said to be like that, but still.
  2. PME

PME

Yea, I just wanted to point it out since nobody was doing so. I was thinking about the possibility of a new attack too, but then I thought, "Why would GF make something so ridiculously close to Swift?" But, hey, it's there.
  3. cantab

cantab

In-battle evolutions are actually quite plausible, they've been a feature of the anime for a long time.

Multitype or analogue is an interesting idea. Certainly would explain the lack of a strong type-look in Ninfia. And it also has anime precedent (not that that actually counts for anything at all); IIRC someone had an Eevee that could freely switch to its evolutions and back.
  4. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

For the last time: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS DARK TYPE. Btw dafuq is pure supposed to be and how is that similar to a suposed light type? Also how common is that stereotype? I have never heard of it.
  5. PME

PME

It could also just be using the scenery in the surrounding area for the background of the evolution. What if the trainer decides to level his pokes up with Rare Candies? Or even evolution stones?
  6. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Pureness is metaphorical light just as evil is metaphorical darkness.
    Have you heard of dragons swallowing fire or loving gold? Those are also quite common.
  7. cantab

cantab

It wouldn't have to be only in battle. Just means that say when Squirtle reaches level 16, it evolves, whether it's still in battle, just won, or not battling at all.
  8. Jabroni

Jabroni

At one point not too long ago - literally 3 hours ago - I laughed at the unending zeal of light type fans. out loud. speculation has been going on since gen 2 guys, and they still won't give up. I still don't expect it happening any time soon, and I'm still pretty damn sure I wouldn't approve of it.

...yet maybe its because its been such a long running fan speculation favorite, but there are some interesting ideas in place behind the theories. And with this new nondescripteon, my certainty has been shaken. Yes, obviously the source saying that "nympheon" has been confirmed as light type, is bogus. But the idea that it could have a relation with dragon and steel type is interesting to me. Say, it gives something for steel to hit super effectively or another resist (mirrors dawg) that also in turn, hits dragons super effectively (european saints, slayed dragons and we are in europe this gen). This would not be a traditional type triangle, as the source would suggest, but might help slightly dampen the strength of dragons whilst also making steel more viable offensively (ok, steel is already an amazing typing). I still don't approve of it. or think its practically viable. But there's now the smallest of doubts in my mind. Which is exciting.

so TLDR: I and everyone else have been tired of generations of light type speculation, but as long as it stays fresh, I'm sort of ok with it. Cus I know you guys will do it anyway, and every once in a blue lunatone, it actually makes me think twice. Also. whoever is proven right this gen, there will be a number of people with egg all over their face. which is awesome
  9. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

Pure can go both ways. Either pure good or pure evil. Evil /=/darkness btw. Ghost=darkness. Dark type is a terrible translation that completely misses the point. Evil as in, Spiritomb is evil, poochyena/mightyena are feared by trainers, absol is said to bring disasters, darkrai and zoroark were mistaken as evil etc. The concept of darkness is better applied to ghosts who live in haunted houses/caves and suck the life of people.
  10. Jabroni

Jabroni

ok I promise I still hate the idea of light type. but not all dark types are evil. absol warns people of disasters. and houndooms can be loyal. and umbreon evolves from maximum love.
    edit, and crawdaunt is awesome. ok that has nothing to do with my point. but still.
  11. ThePROlificHipster

ThePROlificHipster

People that are asking why LIGHT would be super effective against DRAGON need to look up the common mythological dragon slayers.
  12. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

If anything, Evil is a poor name for it. No pokemon are actually evil. Do you not know the meaning of metaphorical darkness? It's basically evil, but without the 100% malevolent nature. So basically it insights fear and it fights dirty. And obviously by pure, I mean untainted (or pure good). And yes, the dragon slayers are another good reason why dragon would be weak to light.
  13. PME

PME

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Okay, the more I look at this, the less I think it'll be Normal type. Simply because it lists the other eeveelutions' types as well. Not only that, but at the bottom left where it says "Pokemon B2 W2" it says "7 types" followed by Kanji. Can someone translate this Kanji? Anyway, Normal is out of the running, for me at least.
    (God that image is big)
  14. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

I know Absol doenst bring disasters but it is THOUGH to bring disasters, houndoom is the incarnation of a hellhound and about umbreon this is one of its pokedex entries: When darkness falls, the rings on the body begin to glow, striking fear in the hearts of anyone nearby. And what love has to do with good? Love is a feeling, it can be felt by anyone regardless of alingment.
  15. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

PME, click edit, then go advanced. Select the picture and hit the far right button that says something about hiding it when you hover over.
  16. The Diverman

The Diverman

If we're talking about the Japanese names for types, there are many options for light-like type: Saint(from previous rumors), Good, Shiny, Fairy, etc. I could see any of those being renamed to "Light" in English, it doesn't have to oppose dark types. Or it could be a Nymph type, lol. The "Light" type doesn't have to oppose the Dark type.

Edit: Even though it's probably fake, that rumor from that site is really cool. I like the ideal of the Dragon-Steel-Light triangle, it reminds me of medieval fairy tales.
  17. PME

PME

Thanks
  18. Nyara

Nyara

Fairy-type... doesn't sound bad.
  19. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

I agree with this. Also, as I said many times, Light would be a blessing for a game where Dragon-types dominate. Like when Psychic-types dominated during the first generation.

Also, a Light-type could be super-effective against Ghost and Dark for obvious reasons, Dragon for the reasons said above, and against Water. Why Water? Well, one of the natural properties of many sources of light is the heat generation, which can evaporate water. Also, Water is yet another type that is arguably dominating. Although this is mostly metagame speaking, Water-types also dominate in-game, evidenced by the sheer amount of Water-types.

As for types that resisted it: Fire, Grass, and Psychic. Fire because you are trying to generate light against something that already generates lighting by itself. Grass, because of photosynthesis. Psychic, because beings with mental and paranormal powers wouldn't mind and would even like being close to light sources, where they can be kept away from the darkness, which disturbs the mind.

As for things that Light would resist: As of now, the thing that makes sense the most is if Light resisted itself, and Bug. Bug, because of the stereotype of flies flying around lamps. They could also resist Fighting, because beings of justice would not dare trying to defeat beings that also fight on the good side. Metagame-wise it would also be good in a metagame dominated by Fighting-types. They could also resist Dragon, for the reasons said above.

As for things that Light would be weak: Dark and Ghost, because sometimes the evil can also win against the good side. Electric because eletricity can disrupt and cause short circuit on lighting sources like lamps or machines. Fire because like eletricity, fire can disrupt lighting sources, but by generating fires, that as all you know should be erased with materials such as carbon dioxide.
  20. Wishy

Wishy

21. EtherDrive

EtherDrive

Froakie
  22. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

There wont be a light type. There might be a new typing but it wont be called light. Solarbeam, flash cannon, mirror shot, litwick line, pratically everything electric related, morning sun, moonLIGHT, LIGHT screen. Been there done that.
  23. Wishy

Wishy

Oh those are it's eyes not ears.

Carry on folks, nothing to see here.

Edit: I'm going to re-post this since no one countered:
    Edit2: The problem with "Fairy" type is that we already have two Fairy species lineages (Cleffa-line and Snubbull-line), AND an egg group. If Clefairy isn't Fairy type nothing can be Fairy type.
  24. ThePROlificHipster

ThePROlificHipster

Froakie lol
  25. Majestic Electric

Majestic Electric

It looks like Froakie to me. :p

EDIT: Ninja'd...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)