1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlatypusVenom

PlatypusVenom

When MrBass said GF doesn't care about competitive gameplay, he was right. All they think about is flavor. They didn't make Pokemon Online or Pokemon Showdown, we did. All we seem to care about is competitive gameplay. No offense to those of us in CAP, but they don't give a crap when it comes to flavor. Thing about Fidget for example. It is just a tiny body with many arms yet it gets Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin, etc.
  2. The Cicada

The Cicada

Evil teams sucked and where downright silly until N stepped in and made them cool.
  3. Ryanide

Ryanide

I think everyone's getting too caught up on Ice being bad. Ice has it's thing, which is to counter dragons. And typically you need that ice-type STAB to blast through a lot of them, hence even if ice type sucks defensively, it's still got it's niche.

Suppose a theoretical new type exists to check Fighting pokemon? Fighting became almost central in gen 5 due to a high number of poweful contenders and being one of the best offensive types in the game.

Fighting pokemon typically get everything they could possibly need to deal with psychics and ghosts. They just need a dark type attack and some other coverage move and they're set offensively. What if we had a new type that resisted fighting and dark? I'll use divine for the sake of example, since you can't exactly karate chop an angel. Makes sense.

Let's assume the new type resists dark and fighting and possibly ghost (types that represent agression and dire things). It's weak to ice, poison and steel (harshness, corruption and industry/science) while being super effective against...let's say fighting and dark. I don't think it needs any immunities.

Something like that wouldn't be unwelcome. I can see why Dark pokemon don't need another counter, but could certainly keep fighting types on their toes, would give Ice another priority boon, and Poison would actually hit something other than grass for super effective, hopefully encouraging more pokemon to pick up poison moves alongside fighting attacks. It could also encourage use of steel offense, since right now steel is an inferior fighting offensively. The distribution of good steel moves is pretty low anyway.
  4. Ryanide

Ryanide

Colress kind of did this in BW2. He was pegged as a good guy from the start and ended up joining team Plasma for his own purposes.

I want the evil team in gen 6 to be a bunch of hipsters who refuse to acknowledge pokemon after the original 150, and are trying to brainwash the world into believing that pokemon discovered after Mew are actually just figments of everyone's imagination.
  5. keleyeemoh

keleyeemoh

And Colress was pretty cool, IMO.
  6. Ingo

Ingo

I can see it now
    *Whenever you do an attack*
    ''Your puny little Pokemon can never beat the gloriousness that is Kanto!''
    Amongst other insults
    Every team has at least one Charizard
    Pikachu is also seen alot
    The team uniforms are knock off Red (Male) and Blue (Female) outfits
    I'd say Kanto Master Race because of the context and basis of region, but too much controversy.
  7. Ryanide

Ryanide

I really liked Colress as a character. I would like to see more characters like him. Not quite rivals, just really interesting and powerful trainers who follow you through the story and put their own twist on things.

It seems that every gen they try to make the evil team more sympathetic, but I can't really think of any way they could manage to improve that after team plasma. BW2 has some really interesting interactions between old and new team plasma, even though plasma 2 was pretty lame.
  8. Preved Medved

Preved Medved

And the boss is a mother***** who uses only Dragonite,Starmie,Gengar and Alakazam.
  9. Yveltal

Yveltal

Is everybody done bitching about everybody bitching about the Light-type? Can everybody agree not to bring up old arguments about why it should/shouldn't happen the next time Game Freak gives us a sparkly new Pokemon with a mystery typing, and instead just vote for or against why we think that Pokemon could be the light type or not?

That's ignorant! Why do people so often fall back on the theory that 600 some-odd Pokemon were legitimately discovered after Ash left the Kanto Region? Everything that isn't in Kanto simply wasn't discovered by Professor Oak. There have been admittances in the animes dialouge that Ash will see Pokemon that Oak never got to study up close. The same could be said for every region and every professor. Like in real life, hedgehogs don't exist on every continent and in every country, so it's silly to think that Pokemon isn't thought through well enough. Pikachu don't live in the Unovan wilds, and for the most part, Pokemon from older generations were brought up in Gen V every time Ash came to town. Otherwise, it's assumed that Pokemon from other regions isn't a hot topic in Unova, like foreign Pokemon aren't often mentioned in Johto or Kanto, except for when somebody shows up with an exotic pokemon not native to the local area.
    Not that anybody deserved another tangent, but genwunners in my 3D vidyagaymes ain't happening. No ma'am, Pam.
  10. Furosuto

Furosuto

Am I the only one who when they first saw the eeveelution thought, lol, Victini got an evo this gen?
  11. Baldafor

Baldafor

Then why not just remove the type entirely? If it's not intended for anyone to use it once someone finds better, even in-game against NPCs, why even have the type at all? Why not just make other typed pokemon (Normal, Grass, Water) with crappier stats that evolve later in the game to be decent and just delete Poison as a type altogether? In fact, why don't they just do that (evolutions with good stats, etc.) with all pokemon and make them all usable?

Seriously, that's about how bad Poison types are right now. So much win packed into a fail package of bad stats and horrible offenses.

More viable pokemon is better for everyone. Even Luvdisc should be viable. Make it require 100 hours of in-game training if you think catching your first Caterpie should be a garbage since it takes no effort, but make it possible. Why the hell not?
  12. Yveltal

Yveltal

That would only happen if it serves virtually no purpose. In battle, it makes for a great troll against players that aen't cautious around Poison-types. Poison is a necessary attribute, because where will Grimer and all the poisonous plants go? And what about the status condition? Poison is like a cruel death joke that's drawn out for far too long if the butt of the joke is just sitting there decaying from an adverse reaction to the content for ten turns. Poison, as also mentioned before, exists to represent the element of pollution in the games. It has a lot of necessary flavor and fluff-based benefits. Just because it's not useful to competitive battlers and Pokemon breeders doesn't mean it has no use at all.
    Plus, the only viable defensive type is Steel, and casual gamers don't always wanna resort to that for the sake of rounding out their team.
  13. TheMrBassdude

TheMrBassdude

My apologies is my argument came across like that. While I may have said Poison was a crappy type (too much effort to sift through all these pages and find my initial post), I meant to make it clear that I thought that was a good thing; not bitching about it, but saying the fact that Poison was bad competitively and Dragon was godly was what made Pokemon so great. A balanced game would suck (which is why I also see nerfs to Stealth Rock and auto-weather as a bad thing)

EDIT: And while a long, long time ago back (Page 19, or something) I mentioned a way GameFreak could buff poison, I posted it because it was fun to think it through, and because it was still more viable than Light type

EDIT2: And Getting rid of Poison because it's only good for in-game is a great example of everything that's wrong with most of the logic in this forum
  14. keleyeemoh

keleyeemoh

Because it's ridiculous. In the real world, should I be able to possibly win with a caterpillar if I make it fight an elephant? Obviously not. All Pokémon are not create equal, nor should they be. Otherwise, why not steamroll the entire game with 6 Magikarp?
  15. b2j135

b2j135

Did you guys forget about the suppose 2ch leaks of the first few Pokemon and the supposed "saint" type?
    If someone can dig those post up that might shed some light on things (pun totally intended).
  16. Nyara

Nyara

Talking about Elephants, we need an Elephant Pokémon.
  17. Ryanide

Ryanide

We already have Donphan and Mammoswine. Ok, the latter is a bit of a stretch, but you know.

A water-type bathtub elephant would be pretty cool. Make it water/normal and make it a HP wall with Soak

I'm trying to think of something the evil team could do this gen which hasn't been touched on in some way before in the previous games.

So far we've had -
    Team Rocket - organised crime group/mafia
    Team Magma/Aqua - extremily agressive environmentalist group
    Team Galactic - crazy space illuminati people. Wanted to destroy the world and recreate it or something.
    Team Plasma - world domination group disguised as PETA. Take advantage of publicity/charisma to control opinions.

Where do we go from here? The evil team in every game always seeks out the gen exclusive ubers in order to further their goals. Given the X-Y theme, I have reason to believe they will be some sort of science group dedicated to the research of pokemon genetics. Take Colress, now imagine an entire evil team made up of Colress-minded individuals and you'll have a very resourceful and dangerous group who would be prepared to do anything for 'science', including stealing people's pokemon as test subjects for their experiments. We don't know what Ysvetal and Xerneas do yet, but it's almost assured that this gen's evil team will seek them out for their powers.
  18. The Cicada

The Cicada

Yes.
  19. shockwave527

shockwave527

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here ya go.
  20. Nyara

Nyara

Oh, yeah, did forgot about Donphan, then we need a Dolphin.
  21. Scorpio

Scorpio

Guys, stop arguing, I'm getting a headache. If there's a light-type, there's a light-type. If there isn't, there isn't.

Deal with it.

EDIT: Goddammit I take 30 seconds to post and there's already a crapton before me.
  22. The Cicada

The Cicada

fun fact: remoraid is a dolphin.

We need a Gremlin pokemon
  23. shockwave527

shockwave527

Apparently, the pics I copied the links to had weird links and didn't work. I fixed it with different pics.
  24. b2j135

b2j135

"
    Origin

Remoraid's talent for shooting attacks is similar to an archerfish's. Considering its relationship to Mantyke and Mantine it appears to also be based on a remora. Its shooting abilities, general shape, and appearance make it similar to firearms, more specifically, revolvers."

Taken straight from bulbapedia. We seriously do need an actual dolphin Pokemon. make it Water/Psychic considering how smart dolphins are.
  25. Deck Knight

Deck Knight A Knight for the Aegis
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

Betting on Ninfia as Normal-type.

It has Pink Bow in its design.

Yes, I get Pink Bow hasn't been an item since GSC.

I do not care.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)