1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLaRF

MLaRF

While I agree with the rest of your post, this sentence does bother me a bit. Croagunk and Froakie are both frogs, but with completely different proportions and stylizations, as well as mostly standing on four legs instead of 2. I would say it honestly has more in common with Seismitoad, who shares a similar colour scheme of blue and a lighter colour, and has a more disc-like head.

Otherwise, as I said, I agree. I have also noticed the designs seem to be a lot more simplistic, probably due to the backlash from the designs in the last 2 generations, and while it has been too simple before (i.e. voltorb, muk, poliwrath, slowpoke) i do miss the detailed designs of gens 4 and 5, even if the simplicity of this gen is somewhat refreshing.
  2. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

SICK!!!

But damn I can't wait that long seriously...
  3. NinjaGeki

NinjaGeki

The deer-esque legendary reminds me of this guy:
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Regardless, this announcement has me super excited on a Tuesday morning. :)
  4. chuavechito

chuavechito

Looks cool

My predictions:

* The starters are going to be Grass/Fire/Water -type only. Thats the way Nintendo works since ever (with the rare exception of Bulbasaur).

* Fennekin: That was clearly Psywave which leads me to assume he is going to evolve into Fire/Psychic. Also, is clear that he is going to be a fast special attacker.

* Chespin: Im totally lost with this one. Grass, Grass/Ground, Grass/Dark and Grass/Fight are all viable alternatives for his evolutions.

* Froakie: Blue and White means only one thing, he is either going to evolve into Water, Water/Flying or Water/Ice. Either that or he is going to change his look at evolving dramatically.

* The red one is obviously Y and is either going to be Fly or Dragon + Fire or Dark.

* The deer thing is obviously X and is probably going to be Steel + Psychic or Grass.
  5. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego This is what is technically known as a Firecat
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

I really don't like the feel of the world map now, though the battling style has greatly improved. Every gen they lowered the viewing angle and now it's so low it's like playing a third-person shooter. Anybody else know what I mean?

Also I think there are more dual typed starters than single typed, but I'm not sure. Nintendo does not stick to single types.
  6. rh2012

rh2012

I'm going to assume these two cover legandaries are guardians of some sort; guardian of the forest and guardian of the sky. That said,
    X- grass/normal, grass/steel,
    Y- flying/normal, flying/dark, flying/psychic

Next, I'm really thinking these are being made to combat simulator use. I'm thinking they're trying to push for more wifi use. Either way, I'm glad I finally get to see move animations. It's ridiculous to think that they had them on the N64, yet couldn't bring them to handheld. I'm glad they'll be in 3d for the first time though. Beyond excited. Can't wait till we get more info.

Anyone else think they may not be adding a whole other crop of new Pokemon? It'd be awfully quick for them to do that, not to mention just too early. I think new starters and legends are obligatory, but I doubt they'll be adding another ~150 new Pokemon. Maybe some though, and probably a bunch of evolutions to existing ones.

I complain about nothing. Stoked.
  7. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

While I doubt we'll be seing the 150+ that we got this gen, I would be shocked if there was not a large number of new Pokemon. No generation has introduced less than 100 Pokemon in the past, so, even if they do have less, I would be very surprised if we did not get a large batch of new monsters to play with.
  8. Sharpteeth

Sharpteeth

Chespin's first move is pretty obviously Solar Beam, and the second one was Shadow Claw (I think). It's a cross between a Chestnut and a Porcupine (Ches + Pin), further supported since the French name (Marisson) which is a mix of Marron (chestnut) and Herisson (hedgehog). I think it'll evolve into a Grass/Ground, something like Sandslash without a Water weakness.

The Fire starter, Fennekin, is based on, obviously, a fennec fox, a nocturnal desert fox. It's using Ember and some other move (Confusion?). I'm really not sure what it's final typing will be, since the likely ones all already exist (Fire/Ground, Fire/Psychic, Fire/Dark, Fire/Fighting because,you know).

The Water starter is a cat. If we're lucky, it won't evolve into Politoed. From the name, it *might* be a mix of Frog + Foam + Rookie (the French (Grenousse) might be Grenouille (Frog) + Mousse (Foam or Lather)) which doesn't tell much. It might be Water/Poison. It's pretty much guaranteed to get Bubble and Bubblebeam too, if my interpretation is right.

Y-Bird, I think, is part flying because, if you stop the vid at 0:56 and at 0:57 (double click the play button to see it slowly), there's a beak. The claws and stuff make me think Dark type (the head crest reminds me of Absol, for example), but it could really be anything.

X-Deer is, as the offspring of Virizion and Dialga, Steel/Dragon/Grass/Fighting/Psychic/Something.

Of interest is the link between the game titles and the chromosomes (X/Y, determining gender), so that we may have the first title legends with a gender (Male for Y-Bird, Female for X-Deer).
  9. b2j135

b2j135

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JJt0iySuSIM#t=50s
    lol but seriously I really do hope we get to see a Jynx evolution! Finally a good Ice/Psychic type!
  10. royzizzle

royzizzle

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the flying legendary will be pokemon #666

This will cause a religious backlash in the US
  11. Lugiatina

Lugiatina

This is basically the game I have been waiting for since 5th gen started. Holy shit, 3D models finally!!! I also like the new creative spin on the battle scenes, so much more like the anime or in real life. And the legendaries, I really like the creative spin on them. Not to mention NO MORE FRIENDCODES!!! I must say, this is gonna be the best generation of pokemon ever played for me.
  12. Agonist

Agonist Minutes become hours when you wait, hope and regret
    is a Forum Moderator

that means either there are only going to be like sixteen new Pokemon before it (highly doubtful), or they'll stick it in the middle of the dex (which they did with the Johto dex, and the expanded Unova dex). Or you know, it'll have a different number.
  13. MLaRF

MLaRF

Given the fact that Victini was #0 in the last gen, I actually wouldn't put it past them to move the legendary pokemon to the front of the dex. So let's calculate.

The dex starts at 650, because genesect was 649. The starters end at 658, 1 legendary trio makes 661, another is 664. X is 665 and Y is 666. So it's plausible, given the likely number of legendaries!

However, I don't see why they would front-end every single legendary pokemon instead of just a few, or why the bird would be 666 above all else.
  14. Geobro

Geobro

u wot m8

Anyway, it looks pretty decent.
  15. Master of the Six Kings

Master of the Six Kings

Despite all the starters looking like Neopets, i'm actually pretty okay with their designs in general. Froakie is my man no matter what, but Chespin and Fennekin aren't horrible. The gameplay trailer seems to indicate that Fennekin will get the long fan redesign type for Ninetales of Fire/Psychic, though it's anyone's guess for Froakie and Chespin's final typings.

The X legendary really doesn't do anything for me with all the similair Pokemon we have gotten design wise, but it isn't a bad Pokemon. Shadow Lugia's cannon forme looks amazing though. and seems an obvious Flying/Dark to me. These guys still look much better to me than the last 2 generations' legendaries, which is a refreshing change of pace.

On the thoughts of this game being a DPP esque game, i kinda hope it is. While this game looks great and the Pokemon design is by far the easiest on my eyes since Gen 3, I don't want to see another game like Gen V, where they are so determined to make a whole new set of Pokemon they just make a bunch of clones (trying to ignore the fire fox thing, since it will at least have a different number of evolution stages). It seems like these pokemon are all around more stylized and i'd hate to see them blow all these kind of designs on one game to hit a wall with Gen 7.

And seriously, worldwide release is probably the best thing about this news. No translation patches and roms this time around. No seeing the entire story on serebii 3 months in advanced, just a small amount of news, closer to release and a generally revamped Pokemon experience.

As far as competitve stuff for this goes, Fire/Psychic Fox seems interesting. It can either become a Droughtless Ninetales with Stab psychic, or it will be something like Espeon with STAB Fire Blast. T-Tar and Heatran obviously shut that down pretty easy, but who knows what kind of new moves we get introduced. There really is no hint towards the other starters though, unless Chespin is Grass/Normal (bleh). Starters, i'm definately calling Flying/Dark for Y, something inbetween Lugia and Giritina-O. Weakness to rocks is never fun, but Dark is a pretty good type especially in Ubers, so i'm sure it'll be usable. Grass/who knows Y is just too strange to call. Though a Grass cover legend shows potential for this thing to overshadow the likes of Celebi/Shaymin/Virizion pretty easily. As some have noted, it has a lot of calls to Arceus, so we may see another Multitype esque Pokemon, which would certainly be interesting.

And of course, X and Y means Pokemon Z is going to be a thing. Zombies working their trend from the big screen to your handheld Pokemon platform in 2014 :D
  16. ConverseBob

ConverseBob

Throwing in my two cents (ok it's actually going to be more like 2 dollars) about the starter types. Just note, these are predictions for the final evolutions not necessarily the original starters. My reasons are based on two (ish) main reasons. The first is based on the moves shown in the video, and the second is based on typing and interactions between the starters.

Chespin- Grass/Dark. The video shows it hitting Golurk(ghost/ground) with what looks like a physical attack, and from the coloration of the attack(black, dark purple...) I would have to say dark type attack perhaps ghost, but the design of Chespin doesn't really scream ghost. So I vote dark.
    Fennekin- Fire/Psychic. Watch the video, simple fire move, followed by simple psychic move. Also the design is somewhat reminicient of the Vulpix/Ninetales line, and I always thought Ninetales should be psychic, just look at it.
    Froakie- Water/Fighting. (Before you freak out about this typing make sure to look at the second reason I state below.) From the attack shown, it could really be anything, and while the animation of the move, and the design of Froakie do not really stand up and yell "hey, I'm fighting type" this leads me to two conclusions. First Water gets screwed and is only one type, or see primary reason 2 below.

Ok here we go, personally, I have wanted alternate starter types since i heard that they were going with fire, water, and grass starters in ruby and sapphire. And there are plenty of other circles (fire beats grass, grass beats water, water beats fire, that thing) that this can be done with. Being one who has loved both dark and psychic types (and ghost, but that doesn't fit the argument) I would love to see starters in this typing. Since they began releasing secondary typing on starters (not looking at Bulbasaur) I have hoped that they would reverse the circle of strength with the secondary typing. While this was partially accomplished in D/P, there are some issues. If they go with the typing I predict (more so hope, cause its Gamefreak, and they troll a lot) this will be fully accomplished. Water beats Fire, Fire beats Grass, Grass beats Water but also, Fighting beats Dark, Dark beats Psychic, Psychic beats Fighting.

This is my hope, and my prediction, however, I have been wrong before.

Also, I hope we see a few more Eeveeloutions simply cause I love Eevee :)
  17. lucariojr

lucariojr goodra will hunting
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Chesspin (?) is... idk, I don't like it now. Hopefully its evolutions will be better. Frokie is very cute, I might pick it. The fire one (idr its name) looks a bit too like zoura and eeveelutions for my taste, but i can understand the desert fox thing, and at least we won't have another fire/fighting line (....probably). The legends are kinda eh right now, but maybe that's because I haven't had a good look at them.

I think it can go w/o saying that the graphics look great... except for the main character. VGC battles will be awesome to watch if you get the TV.

Also, fingers crossed that they reintroduce ribbons (maybe not contests per say), seals, and keep the RNG manageable.
  18. Forsety

Forsety

Banette, Mawile and Farfetch'd will never evolve....NEVER. They've done a pretty good job of neglecting them so far, why ruin the trend?

More seriously has anyone noticed that Froakie water starter is the first amphibian based Pokemon to date to not have a tadpole like first stage? I'm calling that it'll morph into something entirely different by it's final evolution.

Fennekin is just screaming Fire/Ground or Fire/Dark due to it's Fennec Fox base, Fire/Psychic wouldn't be far off but it's not like Dark types don't tend to use psychic attacks too.

Chespin is just. Wtf? It's like it's meant to be a chipmunk/squirrel or something. Welcome to the Oshawott of Gen 6, nobody will love you, least they can do is give it a unique type for it's final evolution.

They will find a way....just watch, some way or another. This is Trollfreak we're talking about.
  19. ToxicPhox

ToxicPhox
    is an Artist Alumnus

Croagunk is sad that you forgot about him.
  20. Quilph

Quilph

I don't have any problems with the starters as such, but I am deeply disappointed that we are stuck with the grass/fire/water triad for the sixth time in a row. Sure, it's a solid triangle and the formula seems to work, but I'm just really tired of it by now. There are several other triangles that could be used, or beyond that, the triangulation could be dispensed with altogether. Ah well. I'm really glad that Fennekin appears to break the awful fire/fighting mold that the previous three fire starters were stuck with, and that Pokemon has gone fully 3D at last.
  21. Present

Present

If the second move the starters used might give an indication of their secondary (evolved) type, then we would be seeing something along the line of grass/ghost (shadow claw?) or grass/dark (night slash?), fire/psychic (psywave/confusion) and lastly water/fighting or water/normal, maybe water/electric (not sure what move that was, some punch of sorts with animation looking like fighting movement, electric sound or normal colour (bluelike animation is normally normal-type).

Just my two cents
  22. Forsety

Forsety

I'm sad too I forgot about him. We'll pretend that didn't happen.

Speaking of fighters, anyone think Froakie is wearing gloves?
  23. guitarerdood

guitarerdood

idk, Chespin definitely has won me over already. Considering Fennekin maybe... but this resembles how I felt about Oshawott/Snivy last generation, and went with Oshawott, so I imagine unless Chespin's final evolution sucks I'll go with him.

I was gonna say...when they first revealed tepig, he didn't exactly scream fire/fighting either...
  24. MarshallLeRoy

MarshallLeRoy

I wanted to bring this up in the countdown thread but it got locked.

Just speculation, but does a worldwide simultaneous release imply that there will not be a region lock for this new generation? Interested to know because I will be living in Europe as opposed to North America and am going to want to buy this when it comes out.
  25. Forsety

Forsety

It'll be region locked the 3DS is region locked by default. My guess is the simultaneous release is to promote the international aspect of the series which they've always been pushing for.

More interestingly is from here till October what will they do about the unreleased DW ability Pokemon? Maybe pretend they never happened and give them new abilities next gen? Or shove them all out from here till then?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)