1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMrBassdude

TheMrBassdude

I really, really, really hope that if we get a new type, it's Fairy, not Love or whatever you wanna call it. Fairy at least has some weight behind it, whereas Love would have to be the worst type ever. What's Love gonna beat, besides maybe Dark? But the name stuff does seem to gravitate towards Sylphs, Fairies and Nymphs, and a Fairy type would really be the best explanation for Sylveon, IMO. The flightiness, the overt femininity- Sylveon seems like a mix between Flying and some hypothetical Love type, and Fairy seems like that happy medium

EDIT: Just to be clear, I still think the introduction of a new type is a real long-shot, and I'd much rather stick with 17. Odds are, Sylveon's a Flying type that evolves with this new friendship/love/happiness mechanic, and has an ability and moveset centered around Attract type stuff
  2. Ghost Curses You

Ghost Curses You

Also, been doing a bit of research, and I found so far the following types of Nymphs (can post my sources but they're in spanish so I doubt you'll understand).

Ocean/Fresh Water Nymphs (Nereids/Naiads)
    Forest/Trees/Flowers (Dryads/Hamadryads/Alseids)
    Fire Nymphs (Haven't found their name yet) These are the most creepy they lured people only to burn them alive.
    Air Nymphs (No name for these either) Air nymphs are the most innocent and prankish of them all, they're friends with every other single kind of nymphs, and are usually harmless even though when pushed they can summon fierce hurricanes, and they have fun wispering things to the ears of people and singing in the nights.
  3. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

They are talking about it being Eevee's evolution all over the page. This doesn't prove anything.

CoroCoro's design is seriously busy, there's always a lot going on. Just because that question is beside that picture, doesn't mean it's the evolution animation. It may be just asking "oh wow, look at this pokémon using some random move. How did it evolve from Eevee, I wonder?".

EDIT--Oh hey since when am I a mod
  4. Ghost Curses You

Ghost Curses You

Remember those cereals you had this morning? They weren't cereal, they were Moderator Stones (TM), enjoy your evolution!
  5. Katakiri

Katakiri Listen, Brendan...
    is a Pokemon Researcher

I'd really love for Love-type to be a thing. Thematically it fits quite a few Pokemon like Chansey, Audino, and Alomomola for example. I doubt they'd change something as old as Chansey but Audino, Luvdisc, and Momfish would be great candidates.

Love-type seems like it would be clever way of saying cleric-type but that's fine by me. Dark types are exclusively Pokemon that trouble or attack humans (with the one exception of Umbreon) so a type based on caring for others is hardly a far cry.
  6. Quickster

Quickster

Nymphs and Sylphs are both types of fairies. Nymphs can be pretty much any elemental but Sylphs are specific to the air (aka Flying type). However, the German and French names use Nymph or Fairy in the name instead, so the air meaning is lost. If Sylveon is a Flying type, I'd imagine that it would be very confusing for German and French people. Their names don't hint to Flying at all and the design isn't exactly clear either...
  7. KurashiDragon

KurashiDragon

A bit off topic from Sylveon for a second, does anyone think that gamefreak might give Luvdisc a way for it to evolve into amolamola this gen?
  8. LucaroarkZ

LucaroarkZ

No.

Do we have a reason to believe they'll just somehow make Alomomola a Luvdisc evolution? If they were going to make Alomomola an evolution of Luvdisc, they would have done so in BW. Making two pre-existing Pokemon members of the same evolutionary line in a new generation has never been done before, and I can't see any possible reason for Game Freak to do it now.
  9. cantab

cantab

If they were going to allow Alomomola to evolve from Luvdisc, or any 5th Gen 'mon to evolve from an earlier gen 'mon, they could have done that in BW2.
  10. deluge

deluge

I like the Sylph theory in Quickster's post. The change from 'ph' to 'v' might just be a matter of pronunciation and spelling convenience. 'F' and 'V' are articulated in exactly the same way except that 'V' is voiced (your voicebox vibrates) while 'F' isn't.

Furthermore a poster with knowledge of German said the 'Fee' in Feelinara comes the fairy. The French name references Nymph. In English, a Nymph can also be this:

Also, with what we know bout the other names, the japanese 'Ninfia' may come from 'Nymphie'. So this eeveelution is almost certainly based on a kind of female fairy. However, there's no fairy type in Pokemon (psychic is close but we already have espeon) so it really doesn't make use wise to the typing. Assuming there's no new typing, I think Normal and Flying are still strong contenders.

One last thing, the implication that Sylveon will always be female is very strong. Combine that with the fact that the games will be called Pokemon X Y (which are the sex chromosomes) and I'm wondering whether the evolution method will involve exposing a female eevee to a stone. Also the that fact that eeveelutions have appeared in pairs since GSC makes me think that there might very well be a male counterpart. Maybe that'll be our Fighteon/Valeon (Flying hits it SE, it hits Normal SE).
  11. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

Typing doesn't actually has much to do with whether the pokémon is evil or good, and you forgot to cite that Absol is another Pokémon that don't cause troubles; instead, it warns humans from them.

Although a Love-type seems like an interesting idea, it would be very hard to make type matchups that would make sense with it, bar against Dark-type (and maybe Steel-type - as machines don't feel emotions, but this is very debatable as Magnezone FEELS emotions according to its PokéDex entry), especially considering that according to a theory posted on this thread a few pages ago, Sylveon is probably weak to Electric or hits Electric super-effectively. Again, a Fairy- or Light-type would make much more sense. But speaking of existing types, Sylveon is very likely Flying if the aforementioned theory is right, or Ground (but it seems more like a Flying-type).
  12. VarunR

VarunR

The moves in the trailer seem to be Aura Sphere, Trump Card, Charge/Thunder Wave and Swift, assuming no new moves are released.

I'll say specially based Fighting type.
  13. PME

PME

Why wouldn't we assume that? :/ GF releases new moves every gen, I'd find it hard to believe they wouldn't this gen.
  14. Mario With Lasers

I swear I want the Love-type to be true just so we have this move.

I wish we could like posts here.

Well, I believe this thread has finally come to an agreement at some things: 1. Sylveon is clearly related to love, fairies, flightiness and the pink color; 2. Game Freak must be loving the speculation regarding Sylveon's type; 3. shit son, throw as a bone here, the uncertainty is killing us; and 4. finally, since Gen III, we have solid evidence that we might be getting a new type, as unlikely as that might still be.

And I find it really weird that CoroCoro only revealed one new pokémon. They didn't even mention the starters, wtf.
  15. VarunR

VarunR

Just for the sake of speculation. :p I think the second move is new. The last one is definitely Swift.
  16. shockwave527

shockwave527

What I think he saying is, if none of these are new moves, then these are what he thinks they are. He's not saying that he doesn't think that there will be any new moves.
  17. Ghost Curses You

Ghost Curses You

Also to those who say nymphs have nothing to do with air...
    Show Hide
    Wind Nymphs are female nature spirits often seen in the retinue of Wind gods like Aeolus.
    The various beings that could be counted amongst them are:

The Aurae: Oceanid nymphs of the breezes, making them the
    Wind nymphs are known to work in Aeolus' palacedaughters of Oceanus and Tethys. There is also a Titaness named Aura who presided over the breeze and fresh, cool air of early morning.

Nephelae: Oceanid nymphs of the clouds, making the also daughters of Oceanus and Tethys. When Hera came to Zeus telling him that king Ixion had tried to rape her, he molded a phantom out of a cloud looking exactly like his wife and he named her Nephele. Buying the ruse, Ixion raped Nephele and fathered the tribe of centaurs. In doing so he was arrested and chained to fiery wheel for all eternity.

Harpies: spirits of whirlwinds and sudden, sharp gusts. Their male counterparts were the venti, who were the spirits of violent storm winds and the sons of Typhon.

Khione: while mostly known as the goddess or nymph of snow could also be considered a wind nymph, because of her parentage. Her mother Oreithyia, was the goddess of chill mountain winds.
  18. PME

PME

I know, I tried to make my reply seem loose in terms of seriousness, everybody is entitled to their speculations. I still think that the 1st and 3rd moves are new, unless the 1st turns out to be Brave Bird.
  19. Dark Fallen Angel

It would be very much troll by Game Freak if they revealed Sylveon to be a Flying-type, but later, it was revealed that Sylveon was not necessarily a pure Flying-type, and that it was actually dual Light/Love/Saint/Fairy-type and Flying-type. (bathroom theories)
  20. megados

megados

Maybe this entire gen is consisted of 10 pokemon, starters and an eevelution. That would be the best trol move ever
  21. The Diverman

The Diverman

Yeah, it's already been proven that it's a attack, not a evolution scene. Though, I will point out that people who said it was Featherdance/Brave Bird were wrong too. ;) Well I guess it still could be Brave Bird, but I don't think it is.

And congrats on becoming a mod.
  22. Mario With Lasers

I still have to watch the video but, just like Froakie's weird physical attack which is thought to be Wake-Up Slap, I'm not betting on anything now. If anyone said it' a new move called Love Meteor and does double damage to opposite-gendered pokémon, I'd believe it.
  23. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

They specifically went out of their way to disconnect BW from the rest of the pokemon world. They wanted to make Alomamola anyway and just didn't connect it to Luvdisc despite them being essentially the exact same thing. It's quite likely that since they're doing evolutions this gen, they'll connect those pokemon for clarity. They did it with Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee.
  24. LucaroarkZ

LucaroarkZ

Okay, I forgot about Hitmonchan/Lee, but now that I actually think of those, it made sense to connect them and the way they were connected made sense. At this moment, it makes no sense to just randomly make Luvdisc evolve into Alomomola. My point is, if Game Freak intended to make Alomomola a Luvdisc evolution, they would have done so already.
  25. Dark Fallen Angel

But what they've done is a completely different thing. They connected both Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee by a pre-evolution. Also, they were both similar in name, movepool, and typing anyway.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)