1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infernis

Infernis

Luvdisc and Alomomola are based on entirely different species of fish, believe it or not.

Luvdisc is based on the discus fish. Alomomola is based on the Ocean Sunfish. One of them is a few inches long, the other can weigh several tons.
  2. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Tyrogue could have been in gen 1. And again, they were specifically trying to have BW be disconnected. There were no other evolutions. It doesn't matter. I don't even think it's likely. It's just that it wouldn't be that out-there for them to connect similar pokemon.
  3. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Well look at Carvanha and Sharpedo...no-one has a problem with a piranha evolving into a shark, but two pokémon with such similar designs as Luvdisc and alomomola should somehow be connected by evolution. very unlikely GF will ever connect the two, but still.
  4. cantab

cantab

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Alomomola was originally a design for a Luvdisc evo, then Game Freak decided to make BW be all new Pokemon so the evolutionary relation got nixed but Alomomola itself was kept.
  5. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Now anyway, I was thinking about something... Previously when people would bring up a "celestial type" it seemed like they were just referring to a sort of space type. However, upon looking at the exact definition of it, this may be that magic word we've been looking for to describe the potential new type of Sylveon (and maybe even Xerneas).
    "1 : of, relating to, or suggesting heaven or divinity <celestial beings>
    2 : of or relating to the sky or visible heavens <the sun, moon, and stars are celestial bodies> "
    Remember, if you look up images of celestial nymphs, they're almost certainly what Sylveon is primarily based on.
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

^I believe somebody posted this picture earlier, but yeah.

Another important thing to point out is that they are female and their behavior is often based around attraction (that's one way to put it). That ties in with our ideas about Sylveon being feminine and related to love.

(I removed this from my previous post so it doesn't get lost in the sea of pointless alomomola discussion in case you were wondering)
  6. tintinwong

tintinwong

It's probably gonna be a normal type and crush our hopes.
    Look at its color scheme, and now look at the Pokemon with pink and white color.
    Most Pokemon that is pink(and white) are normal types.
    I know there are exceptions.
  7. Lucario_Guy

Lucario_Guy

*COUGH*Flying-type*COUGH*
  8. Dia

Dia

The typing is obvious. It's FIRE/FIGHTING for god's sake!
  9. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Perhaps, but I don't feel that flying is the main attribute of a celestial nymph, even if it may dwell in the sky. We'll see though.
  10. Zabel Zarock

Zabel Zarock

You know what would be interesting.

If Sylveon was the first dual typed Eeveelution.

But I'm still gonna jump on Normal typed Sylveon bandwagon though.
  11. cantab

cantab

I actually LOLed.
  12. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

I just suggested that a page ago:

Though it is also possible that is dual Normal/Flying. This way, they would not only troll us, but also keep Tornadus as the only pure Flying-type Pokémon.
  13. Zabel Zarock

Zabel Zarock

Why am I always late to these parties? ;A;

But I suppose anything could happen at this point considering I thought Tornadus was gonna be Normal/Flying.

It may as well be the Love type that's super effective against everything since nothing beats the power of friendship but I digress.
  14. Zowayix

Zowayix

I'd like to point out that Pokemon.com specifically describes Sylveon as "a new Eevee evolution with a different type". This strongly indicates that Sylveon will be mono-typed, and not Normal.
  15. EsurioXY

EsurioXY

From pokemon.com... its wording only implies that the type is different from all other Eevee evolutions.

I am going to say that I might have some minor gut feeling saying Eevee is a new type.

This is only in direct response to the connection between rainbows, (potential) Xerneas v Yvetal (dark) dynamic, and of course, Sylveon.

This being said... wouldn't it be awesome, if a new type is introduced, for the fairy egg group?. It would effectively retcon all prior Gen I 'Fairies' to being XYZ type.

Going along that train of thought, that the 'possible' new type could be related to a handful of old 'normal types', and would probably inherit the weakness to fighting and the immunity to ghost (GAH nerf ghost more?).

Still... unless Xerneas is the direct counterpart to Yvetal's potentially 'Dark' typing, this isn't going to happen.

Personally my question is why? The only reason for a new type, that I can see, is to introduce something new and interesting in place of any hard changes to the overall battle mechanics. A new type could potentially upheave the meta-game with minimal changes being done to anything else.

Still... its freaking normal type.
  16. TheKAM1993

TheKAM1993

That wasn't aura sphere. We've seen what aura sphere looks like in XY already and it doesn't match what Sylveon used.
  17. Dark Fallen Angel

The problem is that this sentence is ambiguous, and is unclear if "a new Eevee evolution with a different type" includes Eevee itself.

I am not saying that I believe that it will be Normal-type, but GameFreak could stop hiding this secret and reveal which type is Sylveon.

As a note, another way which Game Freak could troll us is if they revealed that Sylveon is Dragon-type. Although Sylveon does not look like a Dragon in any ways, Dragon is the only "special" type that does not have a Eeveevolution, and Game Freak could be doing this to trick us in believing that either Sylveon will be a Flying-type, or a Normal-type, or a Light/Love/Saint/Fairy-type.
  18. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Makes sense. Plus, all the other eeveelutions were monotyped, why would they change the system now?
  19. the flexistentialist

the flexistentialist

Been reading the more than 200 pages of interesting discussion here and hope no one objects to my putting in my two cents.

The posters here know Pokemon. I read these boards for the huge knowledge/experience base. I think that the simple fact a consensus hasn't been reached yet on the typing of an eeveelution is itself a clue.

If we had pictures of any of the other eeveelutions, its name in a couple of languages and even a short video of it in action, I think there'd be a majority fairly quickly. The fact that there's still a debate between A,B, C and D, makes me seriously consider E - none of the above.

Why I think it might be a fairy-type:
    Show Hide
    Way back when psychics ruled the world (or at least Gen I) I told the two other people I knew who played pokémon, that fairies would be made a type to counter those crazy mind powers. With clefairy and the other pinkish balls of innocence, I thought they'd make a nice counterpart to the wise psychics. I was very wrong and gave up on the idea – until now, when some of those old ideas are beginning to make some sense.

• Sylveon:
    "Fee/Fey" has ties to fairy, "Nymph" has ties to fairy and even Sylph/Sylvan (ie the Sylvan Court) have ties to fairy. I've been cynical for a long time, but that's a lot of coincidences in just the naming. With a pink/pastel color scheme and wispy ribbons and bows, this could easily be the epitome of fairy-ness. I'd be disappointed, honestly, if it turned out to be a simple evolution to dragon or bug or flying or normal – just because I can see characteristics in the design that could work for all of those – it's an eevee ink blot – where if you turn your head just right and squint, it could be any of those, but I don't fully believe it epitomizes any one of them. (just me)

• In-Game (I have no right to speak to the meta-game)
    There are plenty of possible fairy types already available to be retconned – they could outnumber ghosts as a type with little assistance from Gen VI. I don't think the current types table is out of balance, or needs a new type. And, really, I'm not pro-new type – I just think it's a growing possibility. This generation, with the 3DS and all the possible upgrades it promises, is (I'd assume) a grand step forward for the franchise – now would be the time to add. And I would smile if some little fairies started sticking it to fighting types.

Why I think it might be a part of a unique duo:
    Show Hide
    The other possibility I have for "none of the above" is that it's a female-only eeveelution - something we don't necessarily have a precedent for (on eevee), but that would be less game changing than the new type theory. The name parts (fee/sylph/nymph) not only tie to fairy but to female and may point in that direction. The pastels, bows and ribbons could be the design for the epitome of femininity (say that 3 times fast). It would still leave the type question up for debate, but I think that with the other side of the pair, a masculine eevee (satyr-based naming?), the type would be as obvious for the pair as it is for previous individuals. They'd need to be looked at together to make sense - meaning we only have half an answer at the moment. That's just my way of thinking - if an eeveelution can't be figured out here, there must be some information still missing, some key puzzle piece that's not been seen yet.

TL;DR
    I don't think fairy typing is totally improbable.
    A male/female pair could explain a few things too.

thanks all!
  20. EsurioXY

EsurioXY

The only reason it can't be determined is because normal type is so difficult to classify.
  21. cantab

cantab

More silly speculation. No type at all. Sylveon transcends such mundane matters as elemental types.
  22. kupo555

kupo555

Hahaha, what a cruel joke to visit the boards again, find out we've been given all the other names for Ninfia and...we've still reached the exact same conclusions that we had before (i.e. that flying and normal are most likely out of the existing types, with the still outside chance of a new type that would likely be something light/fairy/"good" associated).
  23. shockwave527

shockwave527

When they say "a different type", I assume they mean a type that hasn't been done for an eeveelution before.

That being said, look at this:

[​IMG]

This image corollates with that statment. Now, while some things point to a normal type, I think it may be that this eevee is different from ALL of these types, including normal.

My list of possibilities still stands at:
    1) Flying
    2) Dragon
    3) Normal
  24. Arcticblast

Arcticblast I run with the wolves of the wicked
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

I posted that same image a few pages back. Based on the Eeveelutions on the right, it's a fair idea to guess that Sylveon either hits Electric super effective or is weak to Electric.
  25. Dark Fallen Angel

That means that either Sylveon is a Ground-type, or a Flying-type (as there is already Vaporeon as the Water-type that would be hit super-effectively by Jolteon) or that if the new-type history is true, then that new type hits / is hit super-effectively (by) Electric.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)