1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yveltal

Yveltal

I'm a little surprised.
    Glaceon is the girliest of the eeveelutions up until Sylveon, what with her Zoe Deschanel bangs and diamond dust hair tendrils. However, one could have a male Glaceon if they just wanted to have one. That being said, it shouldn't stand to reason that Sylveon would be of one gender, even though it's supposedly based on sylphs. Let's consider Silphymon, another popular sylph monster. He's got pecs underneth a very masculine looking breastplate, but the point of inspiration is the feminine wind elemental, the sylph. Other monsters in the video game world have broken traditional gender rules that follow their inspiration before, and Pokemon hasn't been an excuse either.

Now if Sylveon WAS a female-only evolution and Game Freak invented a male specific one (at which point I would stop bitching about it being a dumb idea), then it's my theory that, as a pair, they would be partly based on aeons as well. Aeons in mythology (or was it theology? Eh.) are spiritual entities that exist in pairs; one male and one female. Latios and Latias were the first to be based on aeons, so if they wanted to make another aeon pair, gender-specified Eeveelutions would be a good excuse.

Also, another thread of logic nobody's tried putting together is that the yellow squiggly lines attack that Sylpheon uses could be Roar, Growl, Screech, or a new sound-based status attack. As I remember, in the past 3D games, Pokemon didn't switch into a battle animation when they weren't using a damaging attack. They may use the same damage-non-damage defining visual trick this time around as well.

Finally, Sylpheon is SO OBVIOUSLY the Vegas-type. It attacks with a firework, a card trick, a laser light show and a bunch of glittery star props. Only in Vegas(and/or Monte Carlo)!
  2. ThePROlificHipster

ThePROlificHipster

I like how that theory falters when a 9th Eeveelution is revealed.
  3. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

The whole point of an eeveelution up until now has been eevee changing its type through evolution as a result of having to adapt to something. I have trouble believing a male/female thing would happen, since they'd both just end up normal type. That's also kind of boring. The multitype thing also seems unlikely since it's just taking eevee's gimmick and turning it into arceus' gimmick through evolution. It also seems like an odd thing to resort to when we don't already have very many types covered with eeveelutions.
  4. Sterero

Sterero

I hope that if they do make a Fairy type, they make it immune to all special attacks and weak to all physical attacks. And then they should retcon all ghost types to be immune to all physical attacks and weak to all special attacks. This will be so flavorful. Screw the meta.
  5. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

This is why a Tree of Life theory makes much more sense.

I liked the idea that Sylveon could be any of the Eeveelution types depending on ??? (maybe IVs), but pokemon.com already announced it's of "a different type", so...
  6. Zabel Zarock

Zabel Zarock

As I mentioned way back in the thread, a normal typed Eeveelution would be one that got stronger and yet didn't had an environmental niche like its other evolutions did so it had to go somewhere.

But then again Espeon and Umbreon don't fill in the environmental niche theme either so who knows really.
  7. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

If friendship during the day yields a psychic type, I can't imagine what yields a normal type. Doing absolutely nothing during the afternoon?
  8. cantab

cantab

Reaching level 100 without have strayed from the purity of Eevee's Normal typing.
  9. Zabel Zarock

Zabel Zarock

You got me there but not sure if it was brought up or not but...

Compare...

[​IMG]

...to...

[​IMG]

Coincidence maybe?

inb4zabeliswrongthisentiretime
  10. Mario With Lasers

We can already trade Eevees holding Prism Scale in Gen V, though... Besides Lickitung learning Rollout in Emerald and Piloswine learning Ancientpower since GSC, there haven't any loopholes in evolution methods.
  11. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!

Someone needs to make a T-shirt of this, or at least a captioned image of Sylveon right now. Of course I don't think Gamefreak is REALLY trolling us, but by god does it FEEL like that's what is going on.

Anyway, that first attack Sylveon uses... I think it actually looks a lot like Flame Charge (indeed the animation on impact is almost identical to the Gen V animation when it hits impact, though the charging stage is quite different). While Flame Charge has only been given out to a couple non-fire type Pokemon, it is a posisbility. The second attack is so obviously Trump Card it hurts, as the last one is obviously Swift. The third one though, I can't even being to guess. Nasty Plot is the best option I can think of, and even that seems a stretch. This doesn't mean it's a new move necessarily; it just means it's really goddamn ambiguous.

So what does this all mean for Sylveon's typing? Abso-fucking-lutely nothing. It gives us no hints at all. The first move and third move are too ambiguous to draw any conclusions from (you can't even conclusively determine what type they are). Trump Card is a level up move for Eevee and distributed seemingly at random, and Swift is widely distributed to Pokemon of all types, incuding Espeon by level up and all the other Eevolutions by Move tutor in HGSS and Emerald. It using those moves doesn't necessarily even mean they're in its own natural movepool and even if we did know that for sure it wouldn't tell us much.

The release of the names in other languages tells us a little bit more... but not much. They all seem to be related to various light, flitty mystical creatures. This relates it to both normal (fairy-ish creatures to date have been normal type) and flying type (fairies, nymphs and sylphs fly and are frequently associated with the wind). You could also argue for some new type like fairy or love or light or whatever, but I don't see the need to introduce any new type for Sylveon to fit in.

The conclusions I draw from this are more or less the same as before. To connect it to any types OTHER than Normal and Flying requires pretty huge leaps of logic, which, while technically possible, seem less likely than the more obvious and immediately apparent possibilities. Personally I think Normal makes more sense. The secrecy around its type and it being the only eevolution introduced this generation (apparently) could easily relate to it being Normal type, as easily as it being a new type, due to the significance of Eevee NOT changing type when evolving. That is of course assuming we're not attaching undeserved significance to hiding it's type. Also to me it just looks more normal type than flying type, and the only evidence we really have for flying type is fairly circumstantial. The flying-type evidence is just a little less solid than the normal-type evidence in my mind.

In any case I suspect we'll actually find out pretty soon, seeing as I can't imagine the short it's staring in coming out WITHOUT revealing its type in some manner. Pretty soon being relative of course... June (or July? I forget) is a lot sooner than October.

EDIT: Oh, also I'd like to make a quick note about the concept of "confirmation bias" which I think most of the people in this thread are falling victim to here (I'm trying to avoid it but am likely falling victim to it myself to some degree). Basically, when people believe something is true and you lack really conclusive evidence to prove it either way, people have an natural tendancie to twist any available or potentialy evidence so it supports their belief. We naturally WANT to be right so we start to see every bit of evidence as proving us right, even when it's not really doing anything of the sort. I ask that people try to avoid falling victim to this if they can, though I know it is easier said than done.
  12. MattWillSurvive

MattWillSurvive

This might be a stretch, but has anyone considered the theory of Pokemon X and Y being DNA-centric in comparison to Eevee's "unstable genetic makeup" (straight from the B2/W2 Pokedex entry)? Thoughts on this and if and how it relates to Sylveon?

I mean, for the first new Pokemon to be revealed, aside from the legendaries and starters, to be a new Eeveelution--featured in Pokemon X and Y--seems to raise a flag with me.
  13. ForeverPerfectXI

ForeverPerfectXI

Beauty Contest Ribbon (or Max Beauty) + ??? = Sylveon?

Maybe? It would explain the flesh bows and the Milotic color pallet. It would of course also mean contests were coming back in some fashion. But if we're still being hopeful about a 3rd Gen remake they've got to come back eventually right? Why not now?

Alternatively, I'm partial to the prism scale idea. It'll obviously require some kind of loop hole though. Like with Yanmega and Mamoswine.

I just can't see its evolution NOT being releated to Milotic's. The color pallet is too unique.
  14. FlapJack

FlapJack

Sylveon could evolve with the new friendship machanics that were talked about briefly in when Pokemon X & Y were revealed. In RBY, Flareon, Jolteon, and Vaporeon displayed the mechnics of Fire, Thunder, and Water Stones, In GSC, Umbreon and Espeon showed of the day/night cycle, and, In DPP, Leafeon and Glaceon showed off the Moss and Icy Rocks. It would make sense that Sylveon would have to do with and new mechanic and if it was like some sort of new friendship stuff than the new “love-type” would make even more sense.
  15. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

What do you mean "showed off"
    those rocks exist solely for Leafeon and Glaceon and do nothing else
  16. Yveltal

Yveltal

He meant the concept of area-specific training.
  17. ThePROlificHipster

ThePROlificHipster

I'm surprised that no one mentioned a Throh/Sawk Pre-Evo and 3rd Evo. I see it happening.
  18. Zabel Zarock

Zabel Zarock

Yeah but we do need some 1 stage pokemon that can handle their own, unlike the other couple pokemon we've had in the past. *coughcoughdelibirdcoughcough*

Not including Legendaries of course.
  19. TheMrBassdude

TheMrBassdude

Trust me, it got mentioned. Somewhere in the first 50 pages
  20. Mario With Lasers

Editted the second and third posts in the thread. Also, may I direct you to this:

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

For now, this dude's been right.
  21. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Dunno if you can really say so far he's been right, unless I've missed something the new eeveelution hasn't been confirmed flying type yet. Plus even if it had, that's still only one point right, and considering everyone was guessing there was gunna be some kind of new eeveelution someone was bound to be right(unless it's a new type but plz no). Hell i thought flying type eeveelution would be next :)

On an aside, I hope he is right, I wanna battery powered kangaroo
  22. Mario With Lasers

Yeah, he's been right in only one measly point, but nothing else was proven wrong. Considering he set an early mark (March) to prove whether he was right, I think I'm going to trust him. It's like that rumor supposedly from 2ch; it says the new region's name is Aikenki, that's the kind of relevant, difficult to guess info we get relatively early. If that's right, then well, everything else might also be.
  23. ThePROlificHipster

ThePROlificHipster

If that post was correct,

Xerneas would be Grass/Ghost

Yveltal would be Ghost/Flying

Fennekin would be Fire/Psychic

Chespin would be Grass/Fighting

Froakie would be Water/Psychic
  24. b2j135

b2j135

those typings aren't half bad actually...
  25. The Reptile

The Reptile Wonderful Wiggling Wyrms!
    is a Pre-Contributor

Ghost / Flying best Yveltal type :>

Anyways, my guess for the eeveelution-type would also have to be flying, the design seems geared more towards flying (and maybe normal, but flying is more likely than normal imo) than any other type (Unless new-type, which is not something I think is going to happen)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)