1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeeZee

GeeZee

As I posted earlier, I think Sylveon will be Normal, Flying or Normal-Flying type. Why? Well, most people know the saying that "love is in the air" and seeing Sylveon being all pink and having huge, blue eyes does help the fact of it being love themed. So yeah, I think it'll probably be one of the types I mentioned before.
  2. cantab

cantab

Flareon, Jolteon, and Vaporeon were a trio not a pair, and there's no particular reason for those three types. There's no reasoning for pairing grass and ice either. Only Espeon and Umbreon feel like conscious opposites.
  3. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego Damn son, where'd ya find this?
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

While the eevee chart makes sense, it could also go in reverse, with resistances. This means that sylveon would have a type jolteon resists...possibly steel?
  4. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

Nah, it doesn't work the other way. Umbreon is immune to Espeon's Psychic attacks, while the rest are simply resistant.
  5. Deglas

Deglas

Challenge accepted. It'll take me awhile though, with all these pages. Think I should make a Social Group to store this?
  6. BrianFantana

BrianFantana

True enough - let me rephrase that, it's the only Eevee evo to arrive singly, which is surely significant.
  7. PME

PME

Why do people keep on insisting that it's going to be a Normal type? I've already gone into detail why I believe it isn't (I'm surprised you didn't even show Clefable Brian). I'd believe it to be Poison, before I'd believe Normal, and I REALLY don't believe Poison. And about the Psychic type claims, GF has already, officially, stated that it is of a different type than the other eeveelutions (albeit, not necessarily including Eevee). Whatever type it ends up being (please no new type, though the support is strong), if it's not Normal, I will laugh...I will laugh hard.
  8. Quickster

Quickster

So is there actually ANY evidence for Sylveon being a new type? The Flying type theory includes Sylphs and the type chart above, and the Normal type theory at least has colouration as evidence. New types on the other hand...It seems like people just want a new type, rather than making any good cases for why Sylveon should be a new type. I probably missed something but I have read every post for the last 50 or so pages and nothing has stuck into my brain.

I suppose there's the possibility of Sylveon being a Fairy type but Fairy is already an entire egg group so Game Freak is just going to end up changing the types of all them. I'm still a support of Sylveon being a Flying type. If Sylveon is based on Sylphs, almost all of its design is explained (other than the pink ears).
  9. skitz0phrenic

skitz0phrenic

Just as much evidence as any other theory being flung around.

Everything is conjecture at this point. There is logic in not expecting a new type, but there is no logic in being absolutely sure there won't be. We really don't know anything about this game yet in the grand scheme.
  10. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

If Sylveon was normal type, why is it pink? Many Normal types have pink colouration (Skitty, Audino, etc) but wouldn't it be brown like Eevee? Why would they change the colour from pink to brown if it was the same type eeveelution? It doesn't make sense.
  11. Quickster

Quickster

Although a lot of it is conjecture, there are some very plausible reasons for why Sylveon may be a Normal type or a Flying type. If you haven't already, you should read the last 20 pages or so. On the other hand, there are barely any decent reasons for why Sylveon could be a new type. Sylveon is white and pink coloured: that's a fact. That is at least a bit of evidence for Sylveon being a Normal type, due to the colouration of other Normal types. Similarly, Sylveon's appearance could be used as evidence for the Sylph theory (explained on page 201). I suppose it's possible for people to say that Sylveon could be a love type or whatever because it's pink, but that's just as much reason for it being a Normal type.

There's also that there's not much opposition to the Flying theory. The only argument so far against it is that clearly Sylveon doesn't look like it can fly. However, new types could radically change the type chart and make certain types even weaker/more op. Also, there's no reason for a new type to be introduced after 3 generations without changes. There's always the possibility of a new type but at the moment it does seem unlikely.

I don't believe that anyone has said there's absolutely no chance of there being a new type.

I think that Sylveon's design would be rather ingenious for a Flying type. It breaks the mold, moving away from the usual bird with wings design of Flying Pokemon. Instead, it has kite-like streamers, and of course kites "ride the wind" (just like sylphs!). There are also the butterfly wings-shaped bows which could potentially turn into wings or something, but that would definitely be a stretch.
  12. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego Damn son, where'd ya find this?
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Immunities can really be looked at the same way as resistances. Had GF not wanted to completely shut down the psychic-type, I'm sure they would have had dark resist psychic. It was clearly designed in another type triangle, so I consider it possible to look at resistances and immunities in the same light.

Also, if the chart was run using resistances with jolteon/sylveon going the other way, sylveon would resist electric...dragon-type? I just really don't see the flying-type vibe coming off of sylveon. This probably stems from my longing to not have a flying-type eeveelution.
  13. cantab

cantab

Anime want: Since there's a genetic theme, there should be an episode featuring the Magikarp salesman trying to sell a Tauros, but DNA testing reveals it's actually 100% Ponyta.
  14. Wazzup360

Wazzup360

Took awhile before i understood it, but after that lold so hard.
  15. Zowayix

Zowayix

...I don't understand it. Anyone care to elaborate?
  16. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

In England, there has been a recent scandal where the beef in various food products in popular supermarkets around the country have actually contained horse meat due to dodgy suppliers...one particular brand of lasagna has had 100% horse meat in it, ugh
  17. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!
    is a Community Contributor

Just pointing out quickly that it was me that mentioned confirmation bias, not MWL. Totally agree with you on the infinite monkey theorem as well btw, with all the rumors thrown out there's bound to be some details that ring true by chance.

Anyway, In answer to why people think Ninfia/Sylveon is a new type, the main support they use is that Sylveon appears be being released by itself, signifying extra significance for it compared to other eevelutions, and how better to introduce a new type than with an Eevelution? Also there's the argument that if we can't tell what type it is, then it could very well be a new type and that would explain it.

I personally think that such reasoning is based more on wishful thinking than real reason; all the oddities in its release are more elegantly dealt with by it being a Normal type. Additionally, the second argument is made with the assumption already in mind that a new type is likely, otherwise they wouldn't be thinking of how best to introduce a new type. Simply put, it reeks of confirmation bias. The first argument is a little more sound, but with the Normal type being able to solve that problem just as easily without reaching outside the existing type structure... well Occam Razor suggests that Normal type is probably right.

To clarify, I'm not saying that a new type is impossible; I'm just saying that Sylveon, at present, is neither evidence for or against it, and that the possibility of it being a new type is lower than the possibility of it being an existing type (most likely Normal). Truthfully, the margin between those probabilities is pretty small though; we really are starved for information here.
  18. TheMrBassdude

TheMrBassdude

Given all of that last rumor page, the one sentence that really stood out to me was the one about Fennekin basically evolving into Anubis. I would be so excited about it, except an Anubis Fennekin evo, to my way of thinking, has a one in three chance of ending up with Dark, Psychic, or Fighting for its secondary type.

I mean, Anubis could mean a skinny little dude with a jackal's head, that throws Psychic or Dark attacks at you, or we could get something that looks like Nasus from League of Legends: big, buff, and physical

EDIT: And the more I think about it, I think I'd actually be ok with Fire/Fighting Anubis as my starter. If they made it cool enough, it'd be enough to make me just completely forget about Emboar. Still holding out for Fire/Dark, though
  19. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

[​IMG]
  20. TheMrBassdude

TheMrBassdude

I dunno, I never really saw Lucario as an Anubis guy. The similarities in the head, yeah, but he's definitely not shaped like a human, just a bipedal canine something. I can only hope that if an Anubis Pokemon came into play, he wouldn't look anything like Lucario haha
  21. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!
    is a Community Contributor

Actually just did a bit more thinking, and I think now that the probability of Sylveon being a new type is probably greater than any existing type other than Normal. Why? Simple; because while it has very little evidence going for it, at least the only evidence it has AGAINST it is that a new type in general is quite a stretch. All the other types have pretty big flaws with them (mostly that Sylveon looks nothing like them and it's names don't correlate at all). Flying would seem to be better from the names and some aspects of the design, asside from that one glaring aspect; Sylveon clearly doesn't fly, or at least clearly doesn't use it as its standard form of locomotion. It being immune to Earthquake would just be... weird.

That being said, I still consider the possibility to be hugely remote. I think the only real reason we haven't agreed on normal yet is because a lot of people really don't want a normal type. There isn't a single reasonable argument against it, there's a fair bit of evidence suggesting it, but it's either just so boring to some people (or so far off what they expected) that they want to deny it.

I haven't seen a lot of arguments against normal types, and those I have seen have been incredibly illogical in nature. For example, some think it can't be Normal because it doesn't look like Eevee more... which is a borderline ridiculous argument. Lots of Pokemon that evolve but don't change type change colour body shape, patterns, etc. Look at Granbull for example. Sure it would be more convincing if it DID just look like an oversized Eevee, but just because it's NOT so obvious does not mean it can't be Normal. Similarly, just because Trump Card and Swift do not necessarily mean it IS normal type, it doesn't mean that it ISN'T either. Those other two moves don't detract from it either; normal-types are known for their wide movepools , and for all we know those moves could both be normal type anyway (not that I think they are, but can you prove otherwise?). Just because evidence does not prove that something is true does not necessarily mean it must prove it wrong. That's just faulty logic. Finally, there's the arguement that this seems a lot of hype if it's "just a normal type", which also makes no damn sense. It being normal type IS basis for such secrecy because it's an EEVELUTION. You know the family of Pokemon known for evolving into DIFFERENT types. A Normal eevelution breaks that formula enough that it makes sense for it be put on a pedestal. If anything, that's an argument FOR normal, not against it.
  22. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Anubis was actually the first thing I thought of when I first saw Lucario's design, haha, if we had another Anubis Pokémon, it would look too similar to Lucario, and everyone here would start moaning
  23. Yveltal

Yveltal

Anubis, in mythology, was a man with the head of a jackal(oh, and the egyptian god of death). When was the last time Pokemon made anything that was 98% manly? Machoke? They try to keep even the anthro pokemon as animalistic as possible and disassociated from humans nowadays. It's highly likely that if Fennekin evolved into a jackal werewolf beast, it would likely have a stronger theming to egyptian royalty and godliness to deviate from the look they gave Lucario, who already has rather strong design origin stemming from egyptian culture.
    My vote is now for Fennekin evolving into a sphinx with butt wings.
  24. TheMrBassdude

TheMrBassdude

Lucario still just doesn't strike me as Egyptian, apart from the passing similarities to Anubis's head. The coloring doesn't seem Egyptian, there's no kilt or crown or anything that remotely smacks of Ancient Egypt. If anything, the mask design on his face always made me think of either comic book superheroes, or Mexican luchadores. Maybe it's just me being a mythology buff, but a real Anubis themed Pokemon, to me, would be so blindingly Egyptian it wouldn't be funny. Crown with a serpent design, kilt, bracers on the arms, stuff like that. Maybe even a staff, although most items you see held by sprites don't get much bigger than spoons (unless they're concrete pillars)

So, basically, what you said, Yvetal, except Lucario really never struck me as overtly Egyptian
  25. Dilasc

Dilasc

I've never understood the direct connection that people see between magic and psychic. When you put on your robe and wizard hat, do you think Mind reader or do you think magic missile?

I mean, I never thought of Merlin or Gandalf as the kind who could use mind beams. If anything, psychic energy could interrupt spell channeling and tome studies.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)