1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quickster

Quickster

Do you mind reading my post again? I'm pretty sure stars aren't used in Japanese writing...
  2. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Pinsir. I mean, there are loads of cool fanarts for a possible evolutions, such as
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Its stats are decent for NU, but it is always outclassed by other bug pokemon with better types, stats, abilities and STABs (See: Scizor and Heracross). However, I don't agree with this person's idea of Bug/Steel, it's too common and doesn't have any useful Steel moves that would become STAB. Bug/Ground would make a cool evolution in my opinion, with Stab Earthquake and Megahorn, and Stone Edge and Close Combat for coverage, this thing could be a wrecking ball.
    Plus, Pinsir is fucking awesome as it is, and to see it get even cooler would be amazing.
  3. PME

PME

So many things that I want to argue against so many people about, but with it being my first experience on forums I'd rather not have distasteful memories. Am I in the wrong for that?

Anyways, going off topic, I wonder how the overworld puzzles will be like, what with the 3D and possible gyro-scoping mechanics they might just use. Let's talk about that.
  4. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Don't be afraid to express your opinion man. If there's something you don't like about what people have said, tell them. Arguments are what half the posts in this forum are composed of anyway, so who cares.
    As for the 3D puzzles, I can imagine the classic Ice sliding puzzles to be controlled by the gyroscope, I think that'd be pretty cool.
  5. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Even if this would be more realistic, it would be terrible. The habitat list was one of the best things they added in gen 5, and this would make it basically pointless. I don't like walking back and forth in grass for hours just to see what I can find with a 2% encounter rate. Regardless, it's still plenty difficult getting said pokemon to show up.
  6. PokeDad

PokeDad

A couple thoughts

Hi, first time poster with a couple thoughts I wanted to share.

Infiltrator should allow Pokemon to enter the field avoiding entry hazards.

Oblivious Pokemon should ignore Taunt and Torment.

Two existing abilities that could be improved, in my opinion.
  7. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Community Contributor

Oh, speculating on evolutions, are we? Let me add my wishes to the list:

Fearow

When I first saw Braviary's silhouette in the early days of BW leakage, I was convinced we had finally got a Fearow evolution. It had similar wings, a distinct head crest, and a beak that looked remarkably like an Andean condor. It looked big, it looked majestic, and thinking about it, I realised that Fearow really deserved an evolution. The idea had not touched me before, but after I first saw that silhouette, even when Braviary was revealed, it wouldn't leave my mind.

Beheeyem

Yes, Beheeyem. To put it bluntly, I think GameFreak is more likely to release evolutions to recent Pokémon than old ones. They want to cater to the kids who grew up with and learned to love Pokémon from D/P and B/W, and the earlier generations have already had their share of evolutions. In that respect, we look to the oft-overlooked, yet memetastic Alien Pokémon. Its current Base 125 Sp.A is nothing to scoff at, and with an evolution it would be rather devastating. Too OP, you say? Keep in mind that Rhydon had base 130 Atk, yet it received an evolution nonetheless (as did Kadabra and Magneton, both with base Sp.A of 120). A Beheeyem evolution would also be a late-game Pokémon, seeing as it evolves from Elgyem at lvl 42.

Chimecho

There is brilliant fanart for an evolution of this Pokémon out there. And Chimecho really deserves it. In RSE, it was a really rare Pokémon that you probably didn't find without consulting a guide. Yet it was so underwhelming once you found it. It had NFE stats, an NFE movepool, and an appearance that at best screams "hug me!". It's cute, it's frail, and you really want to own it, yet once you think it through, you realise you have no reason to. GameFreak, please give us that reason. It wouldn't bother me if it ended up NU, at least an evolution would mean an acknowledge of this cute little critter, as well as a way to round off the story of one of the most disappointing Pokémon we ever spent hours searching for.

Manectric

Electrike is one of those Pokémon you catch as your third or fourth, because you see potential in it and have seen pictures of its evolution online. Yet once you get it and play with it a little, you understand that it's really not that great, and drop it in favour of a more attractive Pokémon you find while training for the fifth or sixth gym. Okay, it is somewhat fast, and hits decently on the special side, but all in all, it's rather underwhelming. Which is a shame, considering its good coverage movepool and great looks. Evolving from Electrike at lvl 26, it has a decent shot at acquiring an evolution mid-late in a standard playthrough. Perhaps by the "Mamoswine method", involving level-up knowing a decent move it learns in the late forties.

Qwilfish

Go Google "Red lionfish" and tell me that won't be a great base for a Qwilfish evolution. It has spikes. It actually is poisonous. It looks majestic. It is a fish. Give a standard red lionfish Qwilfish's colour scheme, and you're good to go. With good Attack and Speed, it could be a good abuser of Swift Swim or even Intimidate.

Beartic

In real life, polar bears are very big, and very scary. While Beartic might be big, it isn't really that great. Its stats are mediocre, it doesn't fill any niches neither in-game (apart from that "oh, we need a winter themed Pokémon because seasons" thing) nor competitively. An evolution of Beartic could rival Mamoswine as the premier physical Ice mon, and be a cool fellow to add to your team at some point post-game.

Honorable mentions go to Dunsparce, Pinsir and Mawile, whose evolutions I might want even more than those listed. However, other people have made better posts than I about those evolutions, so I'll just mention them in passing.

Also, looking at the B/W Pokédex, there aren't that many apparent candidates for evolutions. An overwhelming amount of the evolutionary families already have three evolutions, while quite many of the rest can be sorted as "gimmick Pokémon". Either they form part of a duo (Throh/Sawk, Braviary/Mandibuzz, Whimsicott/Lilligant), they are a niche in their own right and don't really warrant an evolution (Durant, Sigilyph), serve a gimmick that shouldn't be tampered with (Emolga, Accelgor, Audino) or they are simply strong enough on their own as second-stage Pokémon (Jellicent, Volcarona, Golurk, Bisharp). In addition to those, there are very many "strictly early-game" Pokémon that only serve a purpose as weak, discardable, introductory Pokémon, such as the elementary monkeys, Patrat/Watchog, Purrloin/Liepard and Munna/Musharna. Such Pokémon have never got evolutions before as far as I can remember; with the possible exception of Zubat, most Pokémon that received evolutionary relatives in generations after their introduction have been mid- to late-game 'mons. They have never touched the staple rodent or early bird, the early bugs have been allowed to remain as-is, and so forth. The Pokémon that later evolved have always been rather anonymous, single- or dual-stage Pokémon without a strong in-game focus, or many reasons to catch at all. Either, they have been cumbersome and un-worthwile to capture, they have existed just to fill out empty niches in the game ("oh, here's an ice cave, we need stuff to put in it"), or they have been rather weak despite being found late-game or being very rare.

Of course, branched evolutions turn the tables on all conventions. Either way, it will be exciting to see whether Gen. VI will be like Gen. IV, with loads of new evolutions, or like Gen. III, which while it indeed features new relatives, only had two. The latter case wouldn't really surprise me, but it sure would have been a disappointment.

Can't wait 'till June.
  8. BloodGod22

BloodGod22

I seriously hope they don't screw over Sylveon and make it a Normal/Flying type... it would feel like a spit in the face.
  9. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Why June?
  10. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

They are, in fact they're even in the Japanese version of the games themselves.

Although generally speaking to my knowledge they're used at the end of a sentence to denote a character's tone or some sort (I'm not really a Japanese expert here), something to the like of happiness and what not :/ Only 1 is used though, but I'm interpreting the stars in the poster to be pretty much decoration
  11. Infernis

Infernis

Can't think of any Oblivious users that really benefit for that, but that boost to Infiltrator would be great for Crobat. It loses Ninjask its signature ability, but removes the 50% damage from Stealth Rock each time he comes it. I can see CB Ninjask (Or Swords Dance Ninjask) making a decent revenge killer.
  12. EsurioXY

EsurioXY

I mean if we are going to talk about the stars lets talk about the circled mini 'to' symbol to mean some new voltorb eevee fusion! :A
  13. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Community Contributor

Ah, glad you asked. You see, by then, loads of information will have been revealed, and we'll have acquired a lot of speculation material. Yet, release is so far away that we still have many major news dumps and reveals to look forward to. We will know enough to speculate wildly, but not so much that our speculation can be dismissed (i.e. knowing the looks of quite a few Pokémon, thus speculating on their type and power, a speculation that the full list of Pokémon would be sure to ruin).
  14. Basileus

Basileus

Trust me, this will not happen. If anything Sylveon will not be dual type or a new type. GF just wouldn't break the chain like that, would they?
  15. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Oh, I see. I thought you thought it was coming out in June, haha, had me confused for a second. But you're right, I'm hoping for something like this; (what they did during BW's pre-release days)
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

At least it will be better speculation than what we have now (we're so desparate for speculation, we're down to analysing some stars in a movie's title, hahaha)
  16. cantab

cantab

Hmmm...I get what you're referring to now. I really just thing it's a styling thing though, being fancy with the font, like someone might make the dot on the i into a star. Not saying Game Freak couldn't add more Eeveelutions than Sylveon, but we should be wary of making mountains from molehills.

On evolutions, I feel expanding non-evolvers into two stage Pokemon, either with prevos or evos, tends to work well. Adding a third stage to a two stage line works less well, there are several examples of the original pair looking related and then the later evo ending up just a bit too different. (Rhyperior and Dusknoir, I'm looking at you).

Ones I reckon would work:

Farfetch'd evo. It doesn't exactly need one, but I thing there's a lot of potential to get a cool Pokemon there. Also it should get Super Luck and as many high critical hit rate moves as can be justified - add in the Stick and it'll get a whopping 50% chance of critting.

Kangaskhan prevo, of course.

Pinsir could get an evo, though the one above is really rather ugly. I reckon give it four horns and bulkier arms. Unsure on typing, not Bug/Fighting since then it would be Heracross's turn to be outclassed.

Lapras should absolutely not get a prevo or evo, leave it as it is. Same for Tropius.

Sudowood could take an evo well I reckon. Could be a very large and bulky Pokemon.

Unown should have an evo with multiple Unown a la Magneton and Dugtrio, and of course move options other than Hidden Power. I'm also seeing a Special Attack Boost ability on it, recalling how in the third movie they ran out of control as their powers amplified.

In the unlikely event triple types are introduced, Girafarig can have an evo that is one. Otherwise leave it alone.

Dunsparce evo where it's coiled round into a hoop.

Mawile evo could have multiple jaws coming off it.

Plusle and Minun could have not an evo but a third member of the family for neutral, perhaps Normal type with Volt Absorb.

Torkoal evo, Fire/Steel type with legs that can spin as wheels.

Absol's a good candidate for a cute prevo.

Luvdisc needs an evo, its stats are pathetic, the only fully-evolved Pokemon with lower BSTs are Shedinja, Smeargle, and Ditto. Since the weak Magikarp evolves into the strong Gyarados, and the ugly Feebas into the beautiful Milotic, maybe the lovey Luvdisc could evolve into a hate-filled water type.

An exception to my no third stages 'rule' is Drifblim, I wanna see it get a Ghost/Steel zeppelin evo.

Oh, and Diglett and Dugtrio should get alternate formes where they flip upside down and fight with their feet!
  17. PME

PME

As MWL has already stated this 4 pages back, I was thinking of something pretty similar. What will genwunners' opinions on this game be? Seeing as it will basically be a "fresh" experience with the worldwide release. Any of you here care to leave an input?
  18. Lucario_Guy

Lucario_Guy

The term "genwunner" refers to individuals with some grossly-overpowered nostalgia goggles bolted to their faces. They'll remain opposed to anything new, regardless of the quazi-fresh experience of which you speak.

Personally, I'm just glad old Pokémon will be making reappearances during the main story line. I was fine - ecstatic, even - with B&W's exclusion of old 'mons during the main story line; however, what with my being driven by knowledge, I can't help but postulate that I would've been at least a little frustrated in my first play through had it not been for the wealth of information revealed in the prior Japanese release. :P
  19. Zabel Zarock

Zabel Zarock

To be fair they've done it before.

They added the steel and dark type, changing some pokemon's typing. They made the physical/special split. They added game breaking rocks. They made a pure flying type. Made Black/White 2. Etc.
  20. Infernis

Infernis

I don't think that genwunners will really mind one way or another that it's coming out worldwide instead of regionally. It's not set in Kanto, and Charizard isn't the most powerful creature around.

Crazy speculation time! What if the starters had branched evolutions? Specializing in different things, perhaps.
  21. FromTheWetSand

FromTheWetSand

You're a geologist? What do you specialize in? Sylvite is one of the more common evaporite minerals and I learned about it in introductory geology.

More on topic, Jynx could really use an evolution, imo. it got a preevo in gen 2 along with magmar and electabuzz, but didn't get the evolution in gen 4 when they did. I know it's kinda apples and oranges we're talking about here, but it's time for gamefreak to stop worrying about baseless accusations of racism and update an aging pokemon from gen 1.
  22. Zowayix

Zowayix

I'd like to point out that Pokemon has already done something like this once before, using different mechanics between multiplayer and in-game battles. It's a bit of a corner case, though.

In the original Japanese Red and Green (not sure about Japanese Blue or Yellow), Blizzard had both a 90% accuracy and a 30% chance to freeze. With freeze being permanent, this was believed to be way too powerful. In R/G's link battles, and for all international Gen I games, the freeze chance was dropped to 10%.
  23. Basileus

Basileus

So because generation 2 had some major changes due to the overall instability of gen 1, that makes it possible to happen again? No. Why would they unbalance the type chart that they worked so hard to balance in the first place? Remember when everyone thought that Reshiram was going to be light type? This is the exact same thing, it just isn't going to happen...
  24. cantab

cantab

I played BW without such information and didn't find it frustrating. IIRC the only Pokemon I picked that turned out to be rather a disappointment was Ducklett, who himself replaced Panpour. Well, picking Roggenrola then realising I couldn't get its final form was a bit of a bummer too.
  25. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

On Pinsir: Ground would be a great type for an Evo since it already has Mold Breaker

Fuck you levitators
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)