1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onicon

Onicon

Because Link is a pre-determined character and Pokemon protagonists are blank sheets? As said, that is part of their appeal.

Should they ever have them as a cameo appeareance, they should keep them like Red. "..."
  2. CyberDagger

CyberDagger

More people claiming to have insider info on 4chan.

Pinsir and Heracross getting preevos is something I expected already, so we'll see. Still, I call bullshit on Pinsir then getting an evolution and Heracross not getting one. Those two are a stag beetle and a rhinoceros beetle in a game developed by japanese people. They're obvious counterparts.

Normal Sylveon is bullshit. I will rage so hard if that's the case. Ghost Yveltal and Rock Xerneas seem a bit out of the left field, and Flying Chespin evolution also seems bullshit.

Fire/Ice is something I've wanted for a while. I'd love a legendary quartet based on the four symbols.

And last but not least, time travel shenanigans are cool. I fondly remember that kind of "change thing in the past, take advantage of in the future" shenanigans from Oracle of Ages on my GBC.

But overall, I call bullshit on everything.

Also, I've wanted a Water/Fire pistol shrimp Pokémon for quite a while. Glad to see you also like pisto shrimps, though it's being used as an argument for the Sound type here.
  3. oshada

oshada

4. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

New info, hoo yay. And, like all the previous times, there is no overlap between rumours.

This starts to become the main reason why I don't trust "leaks" like this. Many of them are quite detailed in their explanations, yet the details never seem to match each other. If there had been true leaks, they would have been more consistent with each other. Like mentioning the same types of the starters, the same Pokémon getting evolutions, or the appearance of other legendaries. Yet so far, not two of the alleged "leaks" back each other up. It's clear that it's just guessing disguised as official leaking to generate attention.
  5. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

So I've noticed that a lot of people want the Battle Frontier to come back. I do, too.

But what I'm hoping for even more is an enormous post-game like HGSS. Things like

Rebattling the Gym Leaders
    Battle Frontier (of course)
    Stronger Elite Four 2nd Time
    An Ultimate Trainer
    A second, or old region

Remember in BW2 how you could go to the Nature Preserve in a "far off land?" I really hope they do something with that, like you can go to Unova from Franceland.
  6. Remoraid

Remoraid

I think you can call that leak a fake. GF said there were going to be over 100+ new pokemon. That one said there's only 99.
  7. cantab

cantab

As I previously mentioned:
    Take out crits and people will complain about other random factors.
    Take out other random factors and you lose a LOT of stuff. No more damage and status chance moves, no confusion or full paralysis, no power-accuracy tradeoffs.
    Take out other random factors and team matchup becomes even more dominant. The winner won't be the most skilled player, but simply the one who happens to have built a team strong against the other, even though they're both of equal strength in general.
  8. AvatarMew

NOT HAPPENING!
  9. Codraroll

Codraroll

Clever spotting there. Though, while I too think it is fake, it brought up a good point: event legendaries don't necessarily have to be on the cartridge because of the 3DS's dowload capabilities. In other words, we could have <100 Pokémon in the game on release day, with the promise of more 'mons being released in the future, bringing the total above 100. Certainly a possibility that should be taken into account.
  10. TheKAM1993

TheKAM1993

Actually they said there would be well over 700 Pokemon with XY.
  11. cant say

cant say

One thing I'd really like next gen is to be able to battle all event pokemon from mystery gift in order to catch them, instead of just getting a gift from some guy in a pokemon center. How did he manage to score a Keldeo from? And why is he giving it to me? I much prefer receiving a key item that opens up an area to visit the pokemon. Travelling to Liberty Garden and catching Victini early in my play-through helped me bond with it and i ended up using it for the whole story. In BW2 I did the mystery gift for Genesect right after meeting Bianca and was tempted to use it but it just didnt feel right getting it from the delivery guy. Maybe there could have been an expansion to the Virbank complex where Genesect had escaped to. I just think it makes the whole 'getting a rare pokemon' thing more exciting overall
  12. Bearded Dragonite

Bearded Dragonite

While the leak is clearly speculation (I highly doubt 4Chan would be anyone with inside info's first port of call...), some of those concepts genuinely intrigue me.

The Timetravel idea, of course. Plus given that it's happened before in the games (albeit, briefly), it wouldn't be as out-there as one may think. It may also mean Celebi appears somewhere in game (Finally, Legit shiny ones! :D)

The Bond system has serious potential aswell, giving pokémon-trainer relationships a bigger role than the Happiness Counter, which, admittedly, I follow. Using it to make way for more moves similar to Return, in addition to the fuzzy feeling you get when your psychotic, sadistic 3 headed Dragon loves you so much, would make raising the critters far more rewarding.
    Of course, it would also solve the Sylveon evolution mystery, but if it is indeed Normal type, I will join CyberDagger on his terrible rampage!

Finally, while most of these "new pokémon" sound incredibly redundant, those Card Quartet Legendaries sound awesome! My best guess is that they'd be dual types akin to the Rotom formes who share one basic type. Perhaps Normal or Dark. Normal/Ghost is a combo we desperately need!

EDIT: can't say's idea about battling Event legendaries like in the good ol' days is also something I agree 100% with... Mainly because I want to finally be able to nickname my Jirachis, Mews & Keldeos.
  13. zyrefredric

zyrefredric

So Sylveon is to Bond Level, as Musharna was to Dream World. Though I can't seem to imagine how Sylveon plays a role in this whole Bond Level thing other than being one of the many Pokemon that evolve through it.

And yeah, if these rumors are true, I'd actually like Bond and Trainer Levels. Gives more depth into the game.
  14. Yveltal

Yveltal

My goodness. This time's an easy one. People don't like certain uses of pseudodrandom number generators in-game as determined by the game designers. However, this is a little more pointless than usual for going past what we think will change the metagame and have started complaining about what fluff/gameplay-based aspects are tying down the meta.

There were also two brief discussions about Pistol Shrimps getting turned into a Pokemon and the potentially revamped utilization of PokeRus under the assumption that X & Y are about genetics.
  15. Yarnus of Bethany

Yarnus of Bethany

First of all, it's not you vs. smogon; it's you vs. someone else.
    Secondly, it's not that we're complaining about crits but that we're hoping crits will be abolished.

Now to address your actual point: that skill is created through unexpected things happening. It is true that more unexpected things happen when crits are allowed, but I think the harm outweighs the benefits. More skill is taken away by crits than is added by them. Unexpected decisions and mind-plays and bluffs and long-term strategies all make crit-less battles not merely a battle of matchup. So there is little to risk by taking crits away.
  16. Xylaser

Xylaser

imagine a game where you can catch starter pokemon with a 1% encounter chance
  17. Bearded Dragonite

Bearded Dragonite

This would be cool if it were in an area unlocked similarly to the Nature Preserve, as it'd explain why average trainers can't seem to come across these "super rare" pokemon. Even better if it included starters from previous generations, solving the mystery once & for all.
  18. cantab

cantab

If Game Freak can from a technical standpoint do this I think they almost certainly will. Otherwise they know the event legendaries may well get known about way ahead of time.
  19. Codraroll

Codraroll

Regarding Critical Hits... what makes you think GameFreak should/will remove it? I mean, taking away a staple mechanic of the series is a pretty big move, and to do so only to please the minuscule percentage of players who play the game on a competitive level? Those people, by the way, usually play off-cartridge using third-party programs and they make their own set of rules already.

If you want Crits removed, go to... I don't know, anywhere else on Smogon. We got rid of evasion boosting (big game mechanic), sending multiple Pokémon to sleep (rather big game mechanic), Moody (game mechanic), and a whole bunch of Pokémon in Standard Play because they disturbed our balanced gaming. GameFreak, on the other hand, have kept those elements for several generations. If Crits annoy you so much, why do you petition GameFreak to remove the mechanic entirely, instead of trying to implement a Crit Clause? This is a speculation thread in a rather off-topic section. It's one of the few places in the forum where competitive discussion is discouraged. The Orange Islands sub-forum is practically surrounded by possibilities to get Crits on the chopping block, yet you choose this thread to vent your frustration?

Based on stuff like Excadrill being allowed in the Subway, Double Team still being in the game, Minimize getting a freaking boost to its decidedly broken function, and so on, I think it's safe to bet that GameFreak won't remove Crits in an effort to balance the game. On the other hand, Smogon has been throwing stuff into Ubers and beyond since the dawn of the site.

Also, catching starter Pokémon... yeah, I'm for it, although it should be restricted to post-game. At the moment, there are 15 starter families, with three more on the way. That means that you'll have to connect to 17 other saves to get them all. A rather tedious amount, especially for those who for various reason can't go Global. There should be a way to obtain a starter or two from earlier generations in-game. That's not to say they should all be available with no restrictions, though. The Starters are meant to be special, and they should stay that way.
  20. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

New subject then. IV system needs to be made easier for one to get the IVs they want. Like new breeding mechanics for it maybe? Also it wouldnt kill for the games to EXPLAIN to players how the EV/IV work.
  21. Bearded Dragonite

Bearded Dragonite

While a Crit clause would be something many Smogonites would enjoy, wouldn't it be downright impossible to implement? Banning Crit increasing items or abilities would be inconsequential, since they're hardly ever used. Banning High Crit Ratio moves wouldn't change much either, and you'd also be hurting quite a few pokemon by taking away their best STAB or coverage move.

The reason people can only persistently complain about Crits, as opposed to petitioning for a ban, is that this time, it would be impossible short of banning every attack, or every pokemon without Battle/Shell Armor.
  22. clapyourhands

clapyourhands

Just a thought but, since the 3DS software hasn't been cracked yet and we can't make emulators/hacks/etc., perhaps this time around event legendaries will say hidden until actually "released"?
  23. Judejew

Judejew

Leaving a poke in the day care 30 years in the past.

Going for him and he's at level 300 and he ate the daycare couple.
  24. Flareon

Flareon

This brings up another conundrum, for competitive battling anyway.

How are we going to found out Base stat spreads?

The best way you could do it would be attempting to acquire a new gen Pokemon and EV it, then compare its final stats to any old Pokemon. Although, obviously, that'd be incredibly time consuming.

Additionally, available abilities, locations, formes, new items, TMs, and learn sets would all stay hidden until manually discovered by the individual.
  25. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

The Power items already allow you to get like 2 IVs you want
    I doubt they'll ever let you guarantee more than three IVs
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)