1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EsurioXY

EsurioXY

I WANT bond mechanics so hard core right now... though just imagine all the terrible memes about Bioware's Pokemon game where your bonding with party members increases your dialogue options. Give berries as gift to pokemons and if the bond is strong enough you get a cutscene :trollface: someone make this meme now. Rule 32!

In anycase though I've always explained the 'level up' mechanics as some arbritrary ruleset given for the particular trainer you play as. This assumes that the game uses the numbers and levels as a means for generalizing a specific potential a pokemon has... uhm the word is ... crap what is it... its a word for a generalized analogy for a specific event that doesn't need to be exactly replicated... oh man what is this word ... its used a lot in RTS/4x games as a way to justify mechanics based on complex real world interactions...

In anycase the Bond Mechanic would be an excellent change in the game verse and would adding extra levels of depth without affecting the competitive landscape at all! Oh and I wonder if they could just sell a 3DS/WiiU store 'mini game' where you could send a pokemon to it and do things like the PokeWalker did (and MORE!).

Sylveon is Normal type guise. I can't wait to see the rampages :D

=====

What isn't being talked about is how Smogon will grab the important details without significant effort like was done with older gens. Even things like minor changes in the stat mechanics, HP calculation, or damage calculations (which might not be obvious at release and would be hidden by trollfreak) could severely hinder applications like Showdown's accuracy in the VI gen.

The BST and Move stuff should be in the StrategyGuides and PokedexBooks...

Furthermore! Assuming that Bond Level impacts effective stats or 'efficiency' and we are almost guaranteed a change in many calculations. The uncertainty of the calculations would then in turn affect the metagame by preventing people from theorymonning to perfection and would require extensive practice.
  2. Jabroni

Jabroni

GF almost always include a pair of pokemon with some kind of relationship to one another, obviously similar humanoid pairs like sawk/throh, electabuzz/magmar, or pokemon with some kind of environmental rivalry or relationship, like slowpoke/shellder, karrablast/shelmet, zangoose/seviper. I always look forward to that kind of thing because it gives us more of a picture as to how pokemon relate to each other in the wild. Obviously we've got no way of sensibly guessing what gen 6 will have to offer, but I can't help but speculate...

Show Hide
    Since we're in europe, I'd love to see two rival espionage-inspired pokemon. Like a dark/fighting hitman and a normal/ghost intelligence spook (maybe with illusion?). But really, I'd be happy with any clearly related pair. Zangoose/seviper was really cool... Hell, I'd be satisfied with a straightforward preditor/prey relationship. Maybe it turns out that Snorlax have nearly wiped out a population of vanilluxe.

On a seperate, more topic related note, the dlc pokemon idea sounds really cool (just don't make me pay for them...). I have no self control when it comes to researching upcoming generations and it would be really nice to have some surprises. Also could someone explain why there will be rage if sylveon's a normal type? surely people will be more angry if its supposed to be dragon or flying, as we'd hope for something cooler looking...
  3. EsurioXY

EsurioXY

I went into Gen V completely untainted by any info/spoilers minus the starter evos and a little bit of what that Pokedex Leak revealed. I still am not looking at books or maps for items and pokes... its made the game's experience very fun considering all the new pokes even if I'm spending my time inefficiently in game.

Its not a particularly awesome way to play but it is very different and reminiscent of how I fumbled around in Red/Blue as a kid.

Also don't forget the awesome Heatmore and Antmon (forgot its name) combo in Gen V. Sure they aren't great pokes in general but the dynamic was really cool to stumble upon. I actually really like Antmon ^^ (heatmore is meh.)
  4. Judejew

Judejew

As long as you have suitable parents.
  5. Gary2346

Gary2346 A filthy casual
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I seriously doubt that all the speculation shit on 4chan is legit. Sure, some of the ideas seem plausible, however like someone has already said, it says that Gen VI will only have 99 new Pokemon, where as the trailer said 100+. I doubt GF would lie about that, since 100+ is a big difference then just 99. Also... only 6 legendaries, Normal type Sylveon, and a pure Water type Froakie while Chespin and Fenekin's final evolution are all dual typing? I must say, there were quite a few things in there that was much more disappointing then interesting to say the least. The time traveling team was pretty neat and all, but everything else just seemed kind of blah. I kind of hope that most of this isn't true.

On a side not, a Pinsir evolution? :naughty:
  6. b2j135

b2j135

Thanks again buddy! Now I don't think GameFreak would change the game mechanics too much for Pokerus. I think it'll just be that special percentage like always. Maybe they'll pull a Red Gyarados and make it so if you encounter a certain Pokemon, it'll always have Pokerus. I wonder how they would pull that off though. Maybe a Ditto evolution?!?!?!What would that even look like?
  7. Xylaser

Xylaser

yes starters are special but i want to catch them early in a game([not all 18 only the 3 of the region]before 4th gym leader) rather than after become champ----catch a ditto----make eggs----trade

that's why i loved yellow because you can get all starters without a second gameboy
  8. Flareon

Flareon

They did that in HG/SS.

I don't see why they'd do it in Gen 6, but that's something to build off of.
  9. cantab

cantab

Because a Crit clause is impossible without changing the game mechanics, and generally we try and avoid that.

I think most obvious aspects will be easy to work out from what can be seen in-game, and reckon we'll have the simulators by spring 2014. The fine details of the damage calculations, if they're changed, are another matter. Of course if the 3DS cartridge encryption is broken there won't be a problem.

On "Bond", there's one way Game Freak could take it that would be terrible, and that's to require regular interaction to maintain it. We've already seen that with BW1's Black City/White Forest and it was really annoying. If Pokemon starts becoming like a Zynga game then that more than anything else will turn me off the series.
  10. Preved Medved

Preved Medved

This is so good i can't find a way to describe.
  11. BloodGod22

BloodGod22

I keep hoping Sylveon is not a Normal type pokemon, because Eevolutions tend to get shafted when it comes to movepools. I can already see it now... its got 130 Special attack and its highest special move is Swift with next to no useful coverage.

Atleast Flareon won't be alone now.
  12. EsurioXY

EsurioXY

The likelihood for pokemon to create a 'Pokepark' Social game is very high imo. It'd certainly grow brand recognition and be able to work as a good F2P/Microtransaction game. This being said it would suck for TPC to focus on that over the core game... but for it to be a source of income for them to fund endeavors and huge experiments with the franchise would make me a happy Spinda.

I, though, don't want it to tie into the way to play the core game but a 'parrallel' game that doesn't need to be played but can for those who want. I personally hate those 'social games' but see the value they can give to the industry in good sources of income and brand recognition.

@ Cantab

A 'Crit Clause' wouldn't be hard to enact in game as it would only require a modified damage calculation that excludes the crit modifier (and perhaps the 'damage spread'). The big issue would be that it would make certain moves and playstyles and mons less than usable as they specifically mean to operate on those principles.

Their are many things in the ruleset of pokemon that I would like to see changed, particularly Sleep mechanics and Accuracy Mechanics (Sleep is a relatively easy change, nerf its length or the percent chance of 'wake up' and allow a mon to attack right after it wakes up and Accuracy would need to be rethought in general... perhaps limit the duration of increased evasion/decreased accuracy) to see the meta-game require less clauses... but critical hits are so much a part of the game, and so properly 'balanced' that its almost inconsequential.

They are rare and can not be relied upon for a winning strategy. Even Superluck/Crit Hax abuse fails in today's meta due to the better reliability of Buff/Items. If we were talking Gen I crit mechanics... well then I'd agree with you.

=====

Random Wishlist Point:

I want a defensive 'Belly Drum'. So like a poke either drastically reduces its speed/atk/sp atk (or debuffs its accuracy/incurs a truant like penalty) to raise its SpDef + Def to max (likely broken method) or cuts its HP in half.
  13. The King of Harts

The King of Harts

You know, I've been following this thread since its inception, and not a single person has mentioned it, but that "leak" did. They really do do that stomp animation in the trailer. I'm not saying that gives it any credibility, I'm just saying no one else has ever mentioned it, despite it being right there in our faces for the last two months.
  14. cantab

cantab

Indeed, it would be trivial to make a simulator without critical hits, but we can't do that on the cartridges (well, not without using cheating devices). Our current clauses are all of the form "If you do such-and-such, then you lose." - sleep clause require some effort to make it work in such a fashion - and you obviously can't have a clause that says "If you get a critical hit, you lose.". So if we want to play Pokemon, as opposed to our own game that's a lot like Pokemon but has been tweaked, without critical hits then we have to hope Game Freak make it possible for us.

(As established I'm not personally in the camp that thinks crits should go.)
  15. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Probably because it's not that big a deal (I'm not sure why the "leaker" bothered mentioning it, really)
    Though you bringing it up did remind me this is the first time since Stadium 2 that we had entry animations
  16. Infernis

Infernis

As skeptical as I am about that supposed leak, I've been waiting for an electric Pokemon with Telsa-coil horns. That ram would be pretty sweet.

But even better, a Hariyama evolution. With a general +10 to each of his stats, that makes for a much better Pokemon. Speed 60 is at least slightly better in the lower tiers than 50. The alternative, though I'd hate for it to pull a Dusclops, is Eviolite Hariyama. Talk about bulky offense. Burn/poison it with Guts, and it just hits harder. Use Sheer Force for more consistent damage. Now if Arm Thrust were to be boosted like Bullet Seed... :naughty:
  17. Captain Apollo

Captain Apollo

Anyone else think there will be a Tyrogue-like baby Pokemon that connect Sawk and Throh, as well as include a third evolution, like Hitmontop. The third evo would probably be yellow and I don't know maybe something like the Jujutsu Pokemon.
  18. CyberDagger

CyberDagger

That wouldn't happen without Heracross also getting an evolution.

Also, I'd be totally okay with a Pokemon social game, provided it's not the main Game Freak team doing it (which is likely) and is not mandatory for obtaining anything major in the main games.

I'd say it's not unlikely, Bert and Ernie were pretty much expies of the Hitmons.
  19. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I liked it all until the 99 new pokémon info (but even the OP admitted there may be DLC pokémon, so that's fine), but I'm calling it some massive bullshit simply because it mentions a Hariyama evo and that's so amazing I'm not going to hype it the slightest bit.

You can do that already, in fact, since DPPt. You "just" have to RNG your Trainer ID (you don't even need to match the pokémon's Secret ID).
  20. Bearded Dragonite

Bearded Dragonite

... Seriously?

Man, now I wish I'd found that out before the Keldeo event ended! :(
  21. ~Eon~

~Eon~

I always thought it would be cool if they made flying more involved than just picking a map spot. For example when you fly, you're on your pokemon in the clouds and have a chance to run into wild pokemon in the sky.
  22. Bearded Dragonite

Bearded Dragonite

That would become annoying in-credibly quickly.
    At the very least, there'd have to be an option to toggle it on/off
  23. ~Eon~

~Eon~

More annoying than running into a wild pokemon in the first patch of grass?. I don't see how its any different. Repels exist...
  24. Baldafor

Baldafor

Okay, I read through those "leaks". Wow, even half of that would be amazing (better Tropius starter, HM slave deluxe!)

Do we have precedent for 4chan or 2chan or any of those other anonymous websites leaking anything at all? Like even a shred of actual information? Not by guessing enough times, mind you.
  25. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

Since no one's mentioned this, I'll speak my opinion. It would be great to have a ingame co-op function, and if this does happen, even in specific areas or dlc only, I would probably be pretty satisfied. Unless they make it wireless only instead of wireless and wifi. Probably not, but I can't see inside of Gamefreak's office. Actually, has anyone broken into a developer's main building to find out leaks?

Back to the main topics, I've noticed everyone has been arguing about crits, yet not putting in their own personal experiences ingame. How can you be butthurt without specifying the butthurt. So, I'll tell you a story. About 30 minutes ago, my streak on the battle subway ended. The reason for this was a critical thunderbolt from a magnezone taking down my blissey before I could use softboiled.
    Now, if blissey didn't get hit by a critical, would I have won? Possibly, it was down to the last two pokemon and was a close battle. Blissey could have been stunned, then become immobile before it could heal and use aromatherapy. Magnezone could have been paralysed or frozen. My primeape could have gotten a critical on roserade and have been around to weaken magnezone.
    This is called probability. Just like a shiny is a one out of 8,192 chance of appearing, just because you've had that many encounters, just because you used 50+ attacks in a battle (crit.hit chance= 6.25), doesn't mean you'll see one, nor does it mean you won't have a battle where every crit seems to go against you. That's life.
    To say that random occurances aren't fair is like saying that the 1 out of 1,000 who jaywalks and gets hit by a car shouldn't have been. If you made the wrong calls in the first place, don't expect yourself to get lucky every time. If your team is like mine and hinges on the survival of blissey, then don't go posting on a thread that's not for competative discussion about getting rid of critical hits. If you lost a close game because of haxs, then commend your opponent, don't act like this happens every time you play, because if it does, I assure you, your team either is bad or it'll balance out eventually.
    So, please stop, and for everyone regularly on this thread, if anyone mentions critical hits or any other competative changes, please don't let them take control of the conversation. I think we all like speculation, not arguements covering the same points over and over.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)