1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Eon~

~Eon~

They already did something like that, the Orre colosseum. The only trainers that kicked my butt hard...I heard that they have superior AI and they have EV trained pokemon with high IVs
  2. skitz0phrenic

skitz0phrenic

I mean I think there's ways it could be eased in to so that it wouldn't be super overwhelming to newer players. I was just talking today with a friend about how easy its become since being a knowledgeable competitive player to just steamroll through the entire game with your starter and maybe one other thing that covers your starters weakness and some HM slaves, and this was an idea that popped up.
  3. shockwave527

shockwave527

Remember:
    Rollerskates
  4. Dia

Dia

Once, in VGC, I had a guy crit against both of my pokemon for two turns and then crit against one for like three turns.
  5. Zabel Zarock

Zabel Zarock

Speaking of which...

Where were the rollerskates for BW2?

It would be so fitting.
  6. lucariojr

lucariojr goodra will hunting
    is a Contributor to Smogon

story of my life

It's not so much as multiple crits as well-timed crits that get under my skin. I lost round 1 in MO because a Garchomp crit my Cresselia on an inopportune turn, though I can attribute part of that loss to me being cocky and not killing it when I had the chance >_>

Pokemon mounts would be most fitting using Surf or Fly; instead of generic models, you could actually climb aboard your Gyarados or Fearow instead of them turning into a Pidgeot or Wailmer every time you use it.
  7. Soul Fly

Soul Fly IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
    is a Contributor to Smogon

eh, too much trouble.

With stuff like Doduo and horsea learning fly/surf respectively they'd have to retconn a whole lot of HMs....
  8. Wishy

Wishy

I'm going to be really disappointed when there is actually no time-traveling in in XY. That's probably my favourite rumour so far.
  9. Xylaser

Xylaser

I want new pokeballs :D
    goldball-a gold pokeball
    i would use them for shinies and legendaries
    the price-2000 pokedollars
    haha
  10. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Do anybody remember if Pokémon Smash said anything last week about reveals? I could swear I had heard it somewhere, but going through the posts from last weekend, nobody said anything like that on here. Was it just a rumour that got debunked? Or did they just "reveal" stuff we already know, such as Sylveon?
  11. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

http://pokejungle.net/2013/02/16/217-pokmon-smash-airing/
  12. Jabroni

Jabroni

I second that. But what would really float my boat, and help bridge the gap between story and competitive play (as some other guy put it), is if you could have the option of turning off the "youngster joe is about to send out houndoom, switch pokemon?" text after their pokemon faints. Obviously its useful for players getting the hang of the game, but for the rest of us, no matter how good the ai gets, it ruins any semblance of difficulty. I know its actually not the biggest deal, because you could just chose not to change pokemon when it says that, but it would be easy enough to program it in as an option. After all, its how wifi and battlesubway battles work. I built a team based on switch ins: flash fire, sap sipper, water absorb, volt absorb etc. And I felt pretty dumb training it in game, when the whole switch in thing was pretty irrelevant.
  13. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

They have a Shift and Set option in the options list of any Pokémon game :D
  14. Jabroni

Jabroni

No! what? all this time! I've wanted this for generations!! wow... I... stupid... just... stupid.
  15. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Haha, looks like your wish was granted before you even thought it up xD
  16. GeeZee

GeeZee

You know you want it... :naughty:
  17. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

I know I do. :3

I remember my friend telling me in Pokèmon Colosseum. That you could ride Pokèmon...I spent literally hours trying to figure out how.
  18. cantab

cantab

We've already seen in the anime, notably the first movie, that when you "Surf" using a small Pokemon you basically use it to give you a tow, like those underwater scooter things. Not so sure about Fly mind.
  19. TheKAM1993

TheKAM1993

Silver in the Manga had Murkrow latch onto his shoulders with its talons and it flew him around.
  20. OVERGRO

OVERGRO

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

WATCH THIS GIF.

Interesting speculations here.
  21. zyrefredric

zyrefredric

As pointed out by a lot of people, the Shift/Set option does exactly this. But I'd like to pick up on this and expand it more with the following suggestions:
    • Ever since the first game, the first Pokemon in the party is always the first Pokemon thrown out, no questions asked. This has always frustrated me in the past. When a wild Pidgeot appears, why on Earth would I send out my Parasect? Iy just does not make sense. I know it makes the game run smoother in that the game wouldn't have to prompt you who to send for every wild encounter, but in the very least have the option where you can decide who to send out.
    • You know how you can have a party of six Pokemon, right? Well, when you are a trainer and you're out in the wilds training or capturing some Pokemon, if the first Pokemon you sent fainted, you can always use the next one, and the next after that and so on. That's fine. But being able to do the same in a trainer battle is just absurd. Can't beat that OP bug cather with a Lv16 Scyther? I'd bring five Lv7 Pidgeys freshly caught, use Sand-Attack to lower it to -6 Accuracy, and my Lv11 Chikorita may just be able to take it down. That is very unfair to the honest innocent bug catcher boy. No, I'd say that for trainer battles, you may only use the exact number of Pokemon as the opponent. That means that if the opponent has three Pokemon, then you can only use three, resulting in a 3vs3 match, regardless whether you have six with you. If all three of your Pokemon faint before the opponent's team, you lose, even when you still have three other healthy Pokemon. This also means you can't have a trainer battle against somebody with five Pokemon when you only have four (non-fainted) with you. You don't have to choose three Pokemon beforehand, unlike in PBR. However, you and your opponent sends out the first Pokemon out at the same time, so just pray for a good match-up. The next Pokemon can be decided as the match goes on. Trainer battles must be in Set option, which means that when a Pokemon faints, you may not switch out yet. This makes switching actually be part of the strategy in-game. Since their is a limit to the number of Pokemon in a trainer battle, one must be careful with switching often because once you've switched in the imposed number of Pokemon, you're stuck with those for the whole match. So in a 3vs3 match, if you've already out three Pokemon against the the opponent's 1st Pokemon, then the other Pokemon in your Party can't be switched in anymore.
    Some people might see this as unnecessary, or merely adding a compexity that would only turn off people for many reasons. At least aadd it to the available battle options (like Set/Shift) or even make it part of Hard Mode (which should be available at the start of the game). Well, what can you say about it?
  22. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

I like this, but remember that GameFreak only continues Pokemon because it's one of the most profitable games out there: with most of their business being the younger generation aka kids, I don't think they'll commit what's essentially economical suicide by removing the shift function or limiting the Pokemon you can send out. I mean, it's not like trainers also adjust their lineup beforehand based on your party...

wait, that sounds exactly like the kind of thing trollfreak will do :naughty:

@OVERGRO: Wobbuffet-type is so gonna be OP. Or alternatively, you can interpret it the other way and Sylveon becomes a Ground-type. Which is not as likely as Flying, but it's still early to jump to conclusions that it's flying.
  23. GeeZee

GeeZee

Maybe Doduo jump real high? Or they just sprint really fast...
  24. Lucario_Guy

Lucario_Guy

You're actually spot-on. Fly's Japanese name can also be interpreted as "Sky Jump." :P
  25. cantab

cantab

This affects the trade-off you can make between how many Pokemon you have and how strong they are individually. Some people prefer just using their starter to kill everything, others keep a six-member team throughout, personally I've found a team of four works very well in-game. If you can't use more Pokemon than an NPC Trainer does then that swings things back in favour of small teams (with death fodder to make up the numbers so the Gym Leader will fight you), which I think Game Freak were trying to nudge players away from doing with the EXP changes in BW.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)